Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

DrBouvenstein posted:

I suppose I can use the PAB section of the online store, but I was under the impression that's a lot more money...plus, being able to see giant walls of Lego would just be marvelous. :allears:

Edit: And the talk on the previous page gives me the impression you just pay a flat-rate for a cup? Not by the piece/by the pound?

Yep, you pay a flat rate for the cup, though I do find myself recommending the online PAB from time to time when customers want a piece we do not have in our wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
A Lego store by me is having its 1st Birthday celebrations next weekend. First 100 people get a free gift. I was thinking of popping down, getting Ecto-1. any indication on what the free gift would be?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Kind of a random question, but is anyone using one of the IKEA shelves for LEGO Modular Buildings storage? I'm curious whether there are any that are a good fit. The buildings are kind of tall and don't fit well on my current shelves.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

smackfu posted:

Kind of a random question, but is anyone using one of the IKEA shelves for LEGO Modular Buildings storage? I'm curious whether there are any that are a good fit. The buildings are kind of tall and don't fit well on my current shelves.

Something like the expedit or the billy could work, those fuckers can hold up a decent amount of weight, not too sure about the size though, i use them for transformers and heavy rear end IT bibles

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

AzMiLion posted:

Something like the expedit or the billy could work, those fuckers can hold up a decent amount of weight, not too sure about the size though, i use them for transformers and heavy rear end IT bibles

I have my Sandcrawler and Pet Shop/Parisian Restaurant on 2 different levels of a BESTA shelf unit (and a shitload of transformers on the same unit as well). It has a good depth without being too deep

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

smackfu posted:

Yeah I'd say the expedit or it's replacement the kallax would work well. Expedits were on clearance too last week when I was in there.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

AzMiLion posted:

The Billy is the cheapest but it might not be deep enough to fit them fully on the shelf, if that matters to you.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I like the look of wall mounted shelves. Installing shelves is zero fun but you have a lot of flexibility for layout.

Type ekby into their search box, find some brackets you like the look of, and get the pine planks that have 11" depth.. fits baseplates with an inch to spare.

We have one of their bookshelves too, forget which ones. The shelves aren't great for putting sets because they're kind of buried and hard to see, but putting stuff on the top is nice. Not quite deep enough for a giant baseplate which sucks a little but I can cope.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Figured I would measure. Looks like you need 10" of depth for the modulars. My current shelves have 12" of height which fits the main buildings but still cuts off the Grand Emporium sign and the Fire Station cupola. Probably need 15" for those.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, each of the modulars sit on a standard baseplate don't they? They're 10 inches square.

The giant plates are 15 inches.

(which has always annoyed me, they should have made it 20 inches so it's easy to tile with the 10 inch plates)

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

xzzy posted:

Yeah, each of the modulars sit on a standard baseplate don't they? They're 10 inches square.

The giant plates are 15 inches.

(which has always annoyed me, they should have made it 20 inches so it's easy to tile with the 10 inch plates)

The obvious answer is to tile them in a 3:2 ratio.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

The_Doctor posted:

A Lego store by me is having its 1st Birthday celebrations next weekend. First 100 people get a free gift. I was thinking of popping down, getting Ecto-1. any indication on what the free gift would be?

I'll let you know on Sunday after my store's event! Worried I won't be in the first 100 though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Colonial Air Force posted:

The obvious answer is to tile them in a 3:2 ratio.

Can you point out to me the ikea shelves with 30 inch depth? :v:

Threash
May 18, 2003
Got some simpsons packs and ended up with duplicates.

Look to trade:
Maggie x 2
Grandpa
Scratchy
Flanders

Need:
Milhouse

Threash fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 27, 2014

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I have my Modulars on a Lack shelf. It's exactly deep enough to fit a 32x32 baseplate.

My local TRU finally got Spaceship! in stock. I immediately ran up there and got two. While I was in line a kid noticed what I was buying and said that Benny was his favorite. I told him there were still some more on the shelf and his mom took him back there to look at it. I left before they came back in line, but I hope he got it. :)

I'm just about done with the build, and the bottom is pretty boring. There's not a whole lot of SNOT going on--Benny's clearly an old-school builder. I'll keep one copy stock (stickers and all), but I'm going to experiment with the other one.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
In a weird departure from Lego norm it's available for preorder from amazon with a June 1 ship date, as well.

Usually you see scalpers reselling sets bought in stores for the first few week of any sets availability.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Amazon availability is nice and all, but if you have a Lego store nearby it's likely worth it to get it there for VIP points if buying multiple. I'm going to get a couple myself and the Ecto-1 if they have it at my local Lego store.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

It seems I'm a bit late on the NASA Mars set. It's sold out online. What are the chances if it coming back in stock?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Assuming it's like the Delorean, they just had no idea how popular it would be and had to make a bunch more sets. It'll most likely be back at some point.

Captain Invictus posted:

Amazon availability is nice and all, but if you have a Lego store nearby it's likely worth it to get it there for VIP points if buying multiple. I'm going to get a couple myself and the Ecto-1 if they have it at my local Lego store.

Yeah true, I need to go in for the ecto-1 the 1st anyway.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I bought Minecraft a few days ago (what can I say, I'm an early adopter) and I liked it so I got the Lego Minecraft sets. Ordered them last night, delivery this morning. Delivery from the Lego shop is just so quick, it's incredible.

Anyway, I made the first set and it's pretty cool. I had spare blocks for the dude's face too so I could make two. Dude #1 is now under siege by the creeper and dude #2 is in the cave underground.

Placing the bazillion flat 1x1 pieces is a lot of work though, especially since I'm such a sperglord about how well they line up.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Now use the idea of the Minecraft "chunks" from the Lego sets to make your own custom ones. :)

Dogen
May 5, 2002

X-Men set already sold out at my local store, sigh. I shoulda gone when someone posted they were in. They seem to have a full shipment of the summer movie set wave in though.

Bean Head
Feb 22, 2014
Why are Simpson minifigs so addictive? :negative: this week I've managed to get 1 Marge, 1 Ralph and a Bart.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

It's the only series where I have been able to cooperate with people I know in person on completing a set. They must be making a killing between that and the movie figs.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
At the Lego store birthday event now, queuing to get in! I am easily within the first 100 to get the free gift, whatever it might be :3:

E: They just walked down the queue and gave all the kids little Iron Man baggies. They nearly passed over us until we pretended to have children. What have I become? :negative:

Waldorf Sixpence fucked around with this message at 10:54 on May 25, 2014

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
What kind of Iron Man Baggie is it? Iron Patriot?

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

The_Doctor posted:

What kind of Iron Man Baggie is it? Iron Patriot?

It's this one http://shop.lego.com/en-US/LEGO-Marvel-Super-Heroes-Iron-Man-Drone-30167

So I just spend £270. I got the Lego store kit, throwback shredder minifig, and a box for build your own minifigs (at a later date). I got all of this twice because I made two spends over £100 :v:

E: oh! I also got a little birthday cake slice for being one of the first 100 in :3: the iron man was apparently just the store being awesome.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Pyroclastic posted:

I should really get around to emptying these (several months and visits worth), but I want to empty them directly into sorted bags and I'm too drat lazy.

Forced myself to do it tonight. Started playing Ancient Aliens Debunked on my iPad and got to work.

Two and a half hours later (you can even see good ol' crazy idiot Giorgio Tsoukalos on my iPad)

Various types of 1x1s take up a significant portion of the total.

While I was moving pics on my phone, I found pictures from my sort a couple years ago.

That sort took ages, and I probably have five times as much to sort now (since I didn't get to my 'misc' box which is twice the size of the one you see there).
I almost want to go to Home Depot and pay a handful of migrant workers a few hundred bucks to sort for me.
It's hard to do any sort of small-scale sorting because just a random 400 piece set might have 40+ different parts so the array of cups and bags and piles quickly gets out of hand and you start putting half the pieces in a big 'misc' bin. And you hate doing that since it just means you have to re-sort everything from Misc which might be over 100 different parts so you put 75% of that into a misc-misc bin and have to sort that later...

Testro
May 2, 2009
Sorting is killing me - I've just got hundreds of boxes all over the place, all half full with pieces and not enough room to move (let alone build) in my Lego room.

I think I'm going to crack at some point and just throw everything back into two or three massive boxes.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I really like the variety on the space bugs in the Galaxy Quest sets. The ones I've seen have all been a bit different so far, with the same sort of basic design but then with extra bits. Also they attach quite well to other models so you can have them hanging off stuff like the world's worst insect infestation.

And the jetpack/robot minifigures are pretty great as well. One of these orange ones has the usual Galaxy Quest guns, but they've got binoculars attached to the ends so they're sort of shotgunesque. I really like builds that use parts in ways like that. You might not think to do them yourself, but then it shows up in the instructions and it just seems so obvious. Also the jetpack guys are very swooshable.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ooh birthday cake! :D

I have a box where I dump all the leftovers from sets, so it's pretty much all the single studs and tiles. I keep meaning to sort that, but I never get the time or even think about it till it's 2am or so.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I do my sorting when watching hockey on TV.. multitasking!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

McDragon posted:

And the jetpack/robot minifigures are pretty great as well. One of these orange ones has the usual Galaxy Quest guns, but they've got binoculars attached to the ends so they're sort of shotgunesque. I really like builds that use parts in ways like that. You might not think to do them yourself, but then it shows up in the instructions and it just seems so obvious. Also the jetpack guys are very swooshable.

I ended up buying all the galaxy squad sets, I think it was a great line and it's a bit disappointing they didn't continue it, but it really seemed like it didn't sell all that well. Aside from the big models I have on display (xwing and orthanc), people seem very drawn to the GS stuff, especially when I show them the transformation features after they are like "oh that green space rover looks cool."

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Dogen posted:

I ended up buying all the galaxy squad sets, I think it was a great line and it's a bit disappointing they didn't continue it, but it really seemed like it didn't sell all that well. Aside from the big models I have on display (xwing and orthanc), people seem very drawn to the GS stuff, especially when I show them the transformation features after they are like "oh that green space rover looks cool."

Yeah, it was a shame they didn't move very fast. There were a few sets that I found easy to sell by taking them out of the display and showing moms and kids the transformation features, and the clickity clackety legs on the Hive Crawler -- I sold a lot of that one, it was my favorite :allears:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Yes, a lego store employee sold me the hive crawler in that same way.

My wife hates it, reminds her too much of a real bug.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
I liked the galaxy squad stuff, the problem for me lego is releasing all sorts of great stuff and I can only afford so much.

On the plus side, 4 of the new technic sets are on S&H Canada now, Hopefully not much longer until the Cargo Plane comes for sale.

Found Sound
Jun 8, 2010

The galaxy squad mech is hands down one of my favourite lego sets. And it's easily my top lego mech, what with the nice 80's scifi sensibilities as opposed to all the anime-styled ones we've had. Just a really really nice vehicle, and the transforming thing is just gravy.

Oh, and it turns out that the Indiana Jones jungle cutter tank treads are just the right size for the vermin vaporizer. Y'know, to make it even tankier.

Red_Chief
Nov 2, 2007

Found Sound posted:

The galaxy squad mech is hands down one of my favourite lego sets. And it's easily my top lego mech, what with the nice 80's scifi sensibilities as opposed to all the anime-styled ones we've had. Just a really really nice vehicle, and the transforming thing is just gravy.

I'm really tempted on this one as it's the only Galaxy Squad set that appealed to me. It seems I can only get it through lego.com now though...

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
Are there any lego sets that are exclusive to the UK? I know a few years ago I wanted a Duplo set that was only available in the UK, and of course now I have a friend going to London/Paris this week, and I'm just curious if there is a list somewhere of sets that might not be available in the US?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I've got a bunch of my Lego sets on Billy shelves. They will nicely hold two modulars, but not 3. Had to split up the pet shop.

Anyway, I'm really close to the Simpsons set. I need: Nelson, Grampa, Chief Wiggum, and Milhouse. I have Homer, Burns, Krusty, and Ned to trade.