Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Organs posted:

Wasn't there an episode of the TV show where Shinji went way past 100% and turned into goop?

Shinji went past 400%, not 100%. There's not a lot of situations where it goes between the two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Organs posted:

Wasn't there an episode of the TV show where Shinji went way past 100% and turned into goop?

There was, the entirety of which I chalked up to Dirac weirdness. Thinking about it now, it's weird that I never saw the connection.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
It also foreshadows Unit-01 being used to turn everyone into goop. :v:

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
i watched the rebuilds and feel they made even less sense then the series/EoE

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Anime Sandwich posted:

i watched the rebuilds and feel they made even less sense then the series/EoE

Part of that is Rebuild 3's fault. They put us in Shinji's shoes and make us feel just as confused about everything that went down in the timeskip.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Still, one thing hasn't changed.

A ton of problems could have been avoided if they'd just loving sit down and talk to each other for 5 minutes.

There was a joke a few hundred pages ago about Nerv's questionable funding. Instead of putting humanity's ONLY hope in a nice safe living condition, one's living with a drunk, and the other is living in what looks like a bombed out abandoned half demolished apartment complex.

Instead of hiring a psychiatrist, they have a battledestroyer in their little underground geofront lake. With no water inlets or outlets. Just loving, sitting there in a pond.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Ak Gara posted:

A ton of problems could have been avoided if they'd just loving sit down and talk to each other for 5 minutes.
People are terrified of opening up to others and risking being rejected, so they create walls to prevent that from happening. That's the entire emotional core of the franchise.

Plus most of the issues touch on top secret stuff like "your mom was absorbed into the core of a bound demideity" or "I'm a human/angel hybrid who is disposable because my caretaker has a bunch of backup bodies and uploads my memories on the regular; did I mention I'm partially based on his dead wife and have been raised to be totally obedient to him". These are the sort of things that talking about without fifteen layers of bureaucratic approval tends to precipitate a trip to isolation cells.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Ak Gara posted:

Still, one thing hasn't changed.

There was a joke a few hundred pages ago about Nerv's questionable funding. Instead of putting humanity's ONLY hope in a nice safe living condition, one's living with a drunk, and the other is living in what looks like a bombed out abandoned half demolished apartment complex.

Instead of hiring a psychiatrist, they have a battledestroyer in their little underground geofront lake. With no water inlets or outlets. Just loving, sitting there in a pond.

Hey man, it was a big rear end pond. :colbert:

They didn't find Asuka in that building until... either episode 24 or EoE (I can't remember which), either way Tokyo-3 was well and truly hosed over by that point and she was in the middle of a mental breakdown to boot. Up until then she'd been living with Shinji and Misato, whose lifestyle was probably the least of their many, many issues.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

They didn't find Asuka in that building until... either episode 24 or EoE
He's probably refering to Rei, who lived in a trash-filled Soviet-housing-project building in a rundown section of town, which had apparently been condemned and/or evacuated before the TV series began. The place is probably full of tetanus and I wouldn't be surprised to find vermin (or even feral pets!) occupying much of it. And that's where you leave the wunderkind hope-of-mankind who has a frail constitution and poor self-preservation instincts.

Also - remember that that NERV destroyer carried anti-submarine weapons. They pierced a huge artificial cavern, setup some pumps so that it wouldn't completely fill with water, excavated a shallow basin and adjusted the pumping threshold so that it would become a big artificial lake, then brought in a big warship to guard the lake. Despite the fact that they had created the lake and could presumably drain it if it ever became inconvenient, they decided to put weapons on their warship to guard against subsurface threats.

:rolleyes: Budget priorities :rolleyes:

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Part of that is Rebuild 3's fault. They put us in Shinji's shoes and make us feel just as confused about everything that went down in the timeskip.

yeah by that i really meant just rebuild 3. what sorta time do you guys thinkthe next will come out?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Anime Sandwich posted:

yeah by that i really meant just rebuild 3. what sorta time do you guys thinkthe next will come out?

There are about 15.193792102158E+9 years until the universe closes; so just after then I expect.

Serious answer, late 2015-early 2016 in Japan.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

GulMadred posted:

He's probably refering to Rei, who lived in a trash-filled Soviet-housing-project building in a rundown section of town, which had apparently been condemned and/or evacuated before the TV series began. The place is probably full of tetanus and I wouldn't be surprised to find vermin (or even feral pets!) occupying much of it. And that's where you leave the wunderkind hope-of-mankind who has a frail constitution and poor self-preservation instincts.

Oh yeah I forgot about that. I always chalked it up to Rei being... well, Rei rather than any conscious decision on the part of NERV.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Midjack posted:

There are about 15.193792102158E+9 years until the universe closes; so just after then I expect.

Serious answer, late 2015-early 2016 in Japan.

An optimistic one aren't you.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Oh yeah I forgot about that. I always chalked it up to Rei being... well, Rei rather than any conscious decision on the part of NERV.

Nope! Gainax made a raising sim about the S2 agent who was put in charge of "raising" her, and if I remember right, the reason she lives there is because YOU originally lived there, and NERV just never got around to putting her somewhere that doesn't smell like cat piss after you hosed off. I like to think that NERV officially thinks you're still living there, and never saw the need to upgrade her security. I also like to think that NERV is actually Team Rocket.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

GimmickMan posted:

An optimistic one aren't you.

To be fair, the movies have fallen way off the original intended schedule. Remember, Final was originally slated to be a double feature with 3.0.

I'm still waiting on that US release of 3.33 that's still up in the air. The theater showings have come and are long gone, Funimation's been really silent about this and its aggravating as all hell.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

RMZXAnarchy posted:

To be fair, the movies have fallen way off the original intended schedule. Remember, Final was originally slated to be a double feature with 3.0.

I'm still waiting on that US release of 3.33 that's still up in the air. The theater showings have come and are long gone, Funimation's been really silent about this and its aggravating as all hell.

I'm weird, but I don't want to watch Rebuild 3 until I have 3.33. Nothing beats a physical DVD!

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

BattleCattle posted:

I'm weird, but I don't want to watch Rebuild 3 until I have 3.33. Nothing beats a physical DVD!

Nothing wrong with that. I was going to do the same thing until they decided to push the release back.

It wasn't a big deal, I was able to get my Subbed view in and I'll watch it dubbed when the Blu-Ray finally hits.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

BattleCattle posted:

Having a physical copy of 3.33 is handy for when you want to snap it in half. (I liked it, but it was confuuuuusing. Just like we like it.)

If 2.22 is a train going down a different set of tracks, then 3.33 is the train growing wings and flying away. :v:

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 10:54 on May 27, 2014

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

RMZXAnarchy posted:

The joke is that I actually think that is an optimistic date. I don't genuinely expect 4.0 before 2016 at the absolute earliest and no DVD until like 2018 most likely. :v:

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

GimmickMan posted:

The joke is that I actually think that is an optimistic date. I don't genuinely expect 4.0 before 2016 at the absolute earliest and no DVD until like 2018 most likely. :v:

I need a time machine.

:(

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I'm pretty sure Rebuild 4 will come out before the end of 2015. There's been a very consistent 2-3 year gap between each of the films to date.

On the other hand if you're waiting for an official US or international release, a dub, or DVDs, you're screwed.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
I was linked to this: http://www.kdramastars.com/articles/22755/20140522/neon-genesis-evangelion-live-action.htm

Haven't been able to find any more reputable sources confirming, but if true, that's uh...unexpected.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

sniper4625 posted:

I was linked to this: http://www.kdramastars.com/articles/22755/20140522/neon-genesis-evangelion-live-action.htm

Haven't been able to find any more reputable sources confirming, but if true, that's uh...unexpected.

I want this to be true. I want this to be so very true.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
Did screeners come out of Japan for the first three rebuilds? From what I've heard, theater bootlegging in Japan is pretty rare but I thought maybe for these high profile releases it would happen.

I didn't even search for bootlegs for the first three films. I just waited for fan subbed rips of the Japanese blu-rays. I haven't even watched a bootleg period in maybe ten years. But I don't know if I can wait for a Japanese BD release for the final rebuild film. I could stand waiting but I'm just worried about being spoiled and I don't want to walk on eggshells on the internet for half a year or worse after the theatrical release. I'd rather just see it ASAP.

Edit: also, I'm feeling frisky and am considering watching episodes 14 through 24 and then EOE right now. If I can maintain this level of mild intoxication throughout it would be incredible. I think I have enough beer.

Foppish Yet Dashing fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 28, 2014

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

As far as I'm aware every time someone's leaked a Rebuild its been a camrip, not a copied screener.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

mr. stefan posted:

As far as I'm aware every time someone's leaked a Rebuild its been a camrip, not a copied screener.

I'll take that, as long as the subs are halfway decent.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

sniper4625 posted:

I'll sacrifice my firstborn to make this a reality, if only because it will make every anime fan in the U.S. blow a gasket.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

sniper4625 posted:

Looks about as legit as the Tobey Maguire Robotech movie.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

Vermain posted:

I'll sacrifice my firstborn to make this a reality, if only because it will make every anime fan in the U.S. blow a gasket.

I would hope Gainex would have integrity to say no.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Facepalm Ranger posted:

This is the same company that sells Evangelion razors of course they won't say no.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

sniper4625 posted:

If it's real (which it isn't), they better get ready for Robin Williams to bust the doors down auditioning for Gendo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Ahahaha. Integrity. That's a good one, Faceplam Ranger.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

TARDISman posted:

If it's real (which it isn't), they better get ready for Robin Williams to bust the doors down auditioning for Gendo.

Oh god. I always forget he is a massive Eva fan. OH GOD. If this becomes a reality, I will turn into LCL.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I've never prayed to the Lord Jesus Christ before, but I'm doin' it now for the God drat Live Action Eva Movie With Robin Williams As Gendo.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I'll always remember One Hour Photo for that dumb kid saying that the Mass Produced Evangelion was a good guy that grows giant and kills bad guys with a sword.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Squallege posted:

I'll always remember One Hour Photo for that dumb kid saying that the Mass Produced Evangelion was a good guy that grows giant and kills bad guys with a sword.

Wasn't that intentional thanks to Robin Williams?

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Yes it was, and that toy was part of Williams collection.

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

I think there are some directors who could do a pretty decent live action Eva movie, if they gave it their own spin and actually tried to adapt it rather than just copy the anime, but Michael Bay is not one of them.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Remember the complaints about the Transformers movies? How it wasn't about the Transformers but instead it was about the humans and so the film sucked balls?

At first I thought Michael Bay would be a terrible choice for a live action Eva... But Evangelion was never a show about giant robots fighting, it was about the lives of the people effected by it.

I think...I think he might just pull it off.

Then they would gently caress it up and make it PG-13 and not 18 rated like they should and gently caress it up like that new Robocop movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Shinji to be recast as Anthony Anderson