Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Tricerapowerbottom posted:

Sort of along the same lines, but on a smaller scale, I'm interested in taking shots of my Zippo lighter being struck. I'd like to capture the flint and steel sparks, and the development of the combustion of the naphtha or whatever the fluid is off the wick. I'd like to really get a lot of detail of the sparks, smoke, and flame, and would want to take burst shots to capture as much of each lighting as possible, as each one would be unique.

I'd also be interested in shooting plumes of smoke, either being blown from someone's mouth against a dark background, or the weird "piling" that happens at a certain elevation when a cigarette is held still in an enclosed room.

I have a Canon T2i, the kit lens, a 50mm 1.8, and a macro set up with bellows and an El-Nikkor 50mm 2.8 enlarging lens, which I could attach directly to the camera. I have a tripod, a flash, and a remote set that I could either use to put the flash off camera, or as a remote trigger.

Anyone have any advice as far as setup that would save me some frustration? I know I'll probably want to shoot either subject against a black background, and with a wide aperture... Does anyone have prior experience this sort of close up, fast shutter stuff?

Like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Sort of along the same lines, but on a smaller scale, I'm interested in taking shots of my Zippo lighter being struck. I'd like to capture the flint and steel sparks, and the development of the combustion of the naphtha or whatever the fluid is off the wick. I'd like to really get a lot of detail of the sparks, smoke, and flame, and would want to take burst shots to capture as much of each lighting as possible, as each one would be unique.

I'd also be interested in shooting plumes of smoke, either being blown from someone's mouth against a dark background, or the weird "piling" that happens at a certain elevation when a cigarette is held still in an enclosed room.

I have a Canon T2i, the kit lens, a 1.8, and a macro set up with bellows and an El-Nikkor 2.8 enlarging lens, which I could attach directly to the camera. I have a tripod, a flash, and a remote set that I could either use to put the flash off camera, or as a remote trigger.

Anyone have any advice as far as setup that would save me some frustration? I know I'll probably want to shoot either subject against a black background, and with a wide aperture... Does anyone have prior experience this sort of close up, fast shutter stuff?

Light it from behind or the side

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL

Whitezombi posted:

Like this?

Yes! That's amazingly cool... the exif data is confusing though, these were made with a P&S with some sort of custom macro rig on the front, or what?

dakana posted:

Light it from behind or the side

edit: assuming you mean the smoke. I'll see what happens.

Tricerapowerbottom fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 21, 2014

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Yes! That's amazingly cool... the exif data is confusing though, these were made with a P&S with some sort of custom macro rig on the front, or what?

I shot these with a PowerShot A620 in macro mode and various timed exposures. Dark, no lights, open the shutter and go to town with the lighter then close the shutter when finished. I was very close to the camera - like 1/2 inch I think. I did this 7 years ago so it is a bit fuzzy.

Here is the whole set. https://www.flickr.com/photos/natebol/sets/72157613766025492/

I've been wanting to do something like this on instant film but haven't had a chance yet.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL
Those're sick. Thanks for the background info, it gives me a good place to start with mine.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Anybody know anything about https://www.crowdmedia.co/ ?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
This showed up on one of my photos on flickr

quote:

Somebody wants to buy your photo via Lobster Marketplace. If you want it to be sold, add #ilobsterit tag and sign up here

Photos are sold starting at $1.99 and you get 75% (minus PayPal commissions) every time somebody buys a license. Potential buyers are most often digital media, marketing professionals and bloggers using photos in their work.

To opt out and never hear from us again, please comment ‘opt out’.

anyone ever heard of lobster marketplace?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Dren posted:

This showed up on one of my photos on flickr

Sounds like a lovely marketing campaign to try to get you to use your images to promote their company.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

Dren posted:

Sounds like a shell corporation.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

William T. Hornaday posted:

Sounds like a shell corporation.

:golfclap:

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Sounds a bit fishy lolol

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Lobster Marketing isn't all it's cracked up to be. I think they are just trying to butter you up.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Whitezombi posted:

Lobster Marketing isn't all it's cracked up to be. I think they are just trying to butter you up.

holy poo poo

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
Stock photography isn't exactly lucrative until you build a huge catalog but if you're feeling the pinch then it probably can't hurt.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

feigning interest posted:

Stock photography isn't exactly lucrative until you build a huge catalog but if you're feeling the pinch then it probably can't hurt.

for 75% of $1.99 - paypal fees I don't think I care to sign up. There's not even any free cheddar biscuits.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I don't know which thread is the right place to ask, so I'm just coming here for high visibility.

My Pentax K-30 just started having a weird problem. The viewfinder is dark, but will lighten to normal when I take an exposure, the shutter will fire randomly, or the camera just won't turn on sometimes. Focusing also oddly seems to be off. I tried switching out batteries and resetting to factory defaults, but no luck or change in behavior. I was out taking pictures just fine, turned the camera off, took out the SD card, put a different one in, turned it back on and all of a sudden, it started doing this.

Any ideas of what's wrong with the camera?

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 25, 2014

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Rotten Cookies posted:

I don't know which thread is the right place to ask, so I'm just coming here for high visibility.

My Pentax K-30 just started having a weird problem. The viewfinder is dark, but will lighten to normal when I take an exposure, the shutter will fire randomly, or the camera just won't turn on sometimes. Focusing also oddly seems to be off. I tried switching out batteries and resetting to factory defaults, but no luck or change in behavior. I was out taking pictures just fine, turned the camera off, took out the SD card, put a different one in, turned it back on and all of a sudden, it started doing this.

Any ideas of what's wrong with the camera?

Random guess here, but it may be helpful.

My best guess is a messed up firmware. Take the battery out for a very long time to make sure that the computer inside dies. Give it a day or two. Try again.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Yeah, firmware sounds like the first place to look. Make sure your battery is fully charged, then try to update the firmware.

Pentaxforums has a guide and a link here.

The part about the battery being fully charged is important - if the battery runs out during a firmware update, apparently the camera gets super-hosed and it's way outside of warranty to revive it.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Thanks for the responses. I'll leave the battery charging out of the camera for a day and see how that works out after updating to 1.06. If that doesn't work out, I'm wondering if KEH would let me exchange it?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

How old is it? They have a 6mo warranty don't they?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

How old is it? They have a 6mo warranty don't they?

I got it in early February

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
I just got offered 200€ to shoot behind-the-scenes still and video for a feature film. Ten days, plus edits, post work, and I have to provide my own gear. At least they were gracious enough to offer me some good experience and networking opportunities!

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
So, at most, €2.50/hr? What a loving joke.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Updating the firmware on my camera didn't work out :smith:

But! KEH is letting me exchange the camera, and since they don't have one of like grade in stock, are sending me one that's LN- at no cost. Not that the difference would be noticeable to me, but :unsmith:

red19fire
May 26, 2010

DanTheFryingPan posted:

I just got offered 200€ to shoot behind-the-scenes still and video for a feature film. Ten days, plus edits, post work, and I have to provide my own gear. At least they were gracious enough to offer me some good experience and networking opportunities!

200€ a day, right? And they'll be providing a sound blimp, or paying expenses for the rental of one, right? I get bullshit set photographer offers all the time, one was to shoot on a documentary about a trans Atlantic sailboat trip, I would be paid once the film was picked up for distribution at Sundance or some nonsense.

For those not in the know, a sound blimp is like a soundproof diving suit for a camera so that you don't hear the shutter if you're shooting while their camera is running. I know this because a TV producer chewed me out for not having one on an exposure + craft services 'internship' years ago. They cost a pretty penny, too. Joke's on them because I was terrible then. And still am!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Rotten Cookies posted:

But! KEH is letting me exchange the camera, and since they don't have one of like grade in stock, are sending me one that's LN- at no cost. Not that the difference would be noticeable to me, but :unsmith:
They really tend to take care of customers, which is why they're easy to recommend even when their prices aren't the absolute best.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Thank you folks very much for the knowledge. I think these came out great.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

I'm looking into getting a pretty substantial ND filter (at least 3 stops, maybe up to 10). When I bought a circular polarizer, this site, http://www.lenstip.com/115.3-article-Polarizing_filters_test_Test_procedure.html gave the exact kind of data I wanted to see regarding transmission, vignetting, flares, etc. Unfortunately, they don't seem to have performed similar tests for ND filter. Has anyone run across a similar site for this kind of thing?

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

single-mode fiber posted:

I'm looking into getting a pretty substantial ND filter (at least 3 stops, maybe up to 10). When I bought a circular polarizer, this site, http://www.lenstip.com/115.3-article-Polarizing_filters_test_Test_procedure.html gave the exact kind of data I wanted to see regarding transmission, vignetting, flares, etc. Unfortunately, they don't seem to have performed similar tests for ND filter. Has anyone run across a similar site for this kind of thing?

No, but I have one of these and it's baller as gently caress:

https://www.schneideroptics.com/ecommerce/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?CID=679&IID=8219

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Technically I don't need a graduated ND filter for landscape shots, if I have Photoshop, AEB and some spare time, right? Or are there specific advantages to such a filter, apart from previewing the result on camera and the ability to deal with moving subjects?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Technically I don't need a graduated ND filter for landscape shots, if I have Photoshop, AEB and some spare time, right? Or are there specific advantages to such a filter, apart from previewing the result on camera and the ability to deal with moving subjects?

Probably not, just save you a lot more time later on.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

With a 10 stop screwed on you aint previewing poo poo.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Yeah, I ended up getting a B+W for the circular polarizer back then; I feel like I probably either want a B+W or possibly the Lee Big Stopper, but I haven't been able to decide yet.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
I got the Hoya NDx400 9 stop filter and I am pretty happy with it. And like others said you will need to focus/compose before you attach the filter. Vignettes a bit at wider angles but not too badly (16mm on FF). Also used it on @10mm on a crop and was a bit worse but not awful for vignetting.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

evil_bunnY posted:

With a 10 stop screwed on you aint previewing poo poo.

Live view! (Will be very colorful and hilarious looking)

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
Amazon glacier isn't available to Canadians. What's my best online backup alternative?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

CarrotFlowers posted:

Amazon glacier isn't available to Canadians. What's my best online backup alternative?

Yes, it is. Use Arq if you're on a Mac.

Or at least Amazon knows I'm quite plainly in Canada and I can use Glacier just fine.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

CarrotFlowers posted:

I back up to an external, which is then backed up to CrashPlan.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

CarrotFlowers posted:

You live in canada so you should have access to actual glaciers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

feigning interest posted:

You live in canada so you should have access to actual glaciers

Yeah just stick your usb drive in the wall of your summer igloo