Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
For the 2PP I figure Labor have such a deep hole to dig themselves out of (a 5 point swing that puts them still in arse-kicked territory? Yeah), and if you were bothered by the corruption in the Coalition then Labor doesn't present a much more enticing prospect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Cartoon posted:

Here's a better direct link:

https://www.humanrights.gov.au/our-work/asylum-seekers-and-refugees/make-submission

Take the time to say you think we should stop being inhumane to children.

Thanks Cartoon, I was just wondering where you go to make that submission before you posted this.

Quick tip though for anyone else going to the page: copy your responses in a text file or something before you submit, cause I just had the page crash on me after I agonized over my 1 paragraph, and lost it. :argh:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Negligent posted:

telling the Prime Minister to gently caress off is a pretty solid start to his career in the Senate

It's going in to the trailer when Working Dog Productions make the movie.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Clugg posted:

So my maths lecturer got an article on the front page of The Age's website today:

http://www.theage.com.au/comment/tony-abbott-is-a-liar-its-a-mathematical-truth-20140529-zrs5h.html

:eyepop:

I used to do IT support for them. Burkard is a cool dude, Marty could be a drama queen.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

quote:

NSW Who is the Premier: Baird 46 O'Farrell 9 Other 3

Does this mean Baird only just beat out Don't Know? :laffo:

And let's not forget that about the most notable thing about John Robertson's career as opposition leader so far is that he "forgot" to report a $3 million bribe offer. At least he didn't take it I guess?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Finally got the submission to work, Cartoon! You guys should get your rear end over there and submit something too. You don't need to fill in all the fields, I just picked the one at the end and typed my generic rant in there.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

quote:

Napthine government faces fresh crisis, as Ken Smith vows to support Labor over Geoff Shaw

May 30, 2014 - 12:17PM
Josh Gordon
State political editor for The Age.

The Napthine government is facing a fresh constitutional crisis, with former speaker Ken Smith vowing to support any Labor vote to oust balance-of-power MP Geoff Shaw from Parliament.

Mr Smith's explosive pledge to support a Labor no-confidence motion against the Frankston MP has the potential to deny the Coalition the numbers needed to govern.

It follows a report by Parliament's nine-member government-dominated privileges committee which found Mr Shaw was "not diligent" for allowing the misuse of his parliamentary vehicle.

But a minority report by Labor committee members concluded Mr Shaw had "wilfully" misused his parliamentary vehicle and was in contempt of the Parliament, an offence generally punished by expulsion or suspension from Parliament.

Mr Smith – who was forced to resign as speaker earlier this year after Mr Shaw said he had no confidence in his ability to control Parliament – said he strongly believed Mr Shaw was in contempt of Parliament.

He said the privileges committee, made up of five Coalition and four Labor MPs, had been hamstrung because it had been denied access to key evidence provided to the Ombudsman by two whistleblowers.

Had the committee viewed this evidence it would have had "no hesitation" finding Mr Shaw guilty of contempt, Mr Smith said.

Under normal parliamentary processes, MPs will first be asked to vote on the majority report and its recommendation that Mr Shaw be forced to repay $6838.

Any amendments proposed by Labor asking Parliament to vote on the minority recommendation that Mr Shaw be found guilty of contempt would normally be defeated. But Mr Smith said his support for the minority finding would ensure the numbers needed for a successful no-confidence motion against Mr Shaw.

He said he had not taken the decision lightly, and was fully aware of the potential ramifications.

"The next step, I believe – and it may even be incorporated – would be that he be either suspended from the Parliament or for him to lose his seat," Mr Smith told Fairfax Media. "Now this isn't something that is done lightly, but then again what he [Mr Shaw] did wasn't done lightly either."

Mr Shaw's misuse of his work car has now been the subject of an ombudsman's inquiry and a police investigation, which concluded there was insufficient evidence to press ahead with charges against him.

Mr Shaw has accused the committee of serial leaks against him to the media, claiming he has been denied natural justice through the process, while describing committee members as "nuff-nuffs".

It remains unclear whether – six months out from an election – a byelection would result if Mr Shaw were cast from the Parliament. That process would need to be decided by the government.

"It is going to be up to the government and their timeframe as to whether they do something," Mr Smith said. "Everything hinges on when that is going to happen."

Mr Smith said he had not had any discussions with Premier Denis Napthine about his decision to support Labor.

"He would understand what is going to happen, he would understand my position regarding this, because I've said all along that what happened was wrong and he should be able to get away with it," Mr Smith said. "There is only one nuff-nuff here and he will be judged."

Holy poo poo.

e: the gently caress is a nuff-nuff

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

adamantium|wang posted:

Probably some type of grub.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The one I saw had him listed as "The Dishonourable"

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

adamantium|wang posted:

Holy poo poo.

Awesome, Geoff Shaw is a loving arsehole and deserves to be kicked out. Ken Smith is retiring in November, so will be a great retirement gift for him.

Nuff-nuff: a retard

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

adamantium|wang posted:

Jesus loving wept

Other highlights:
Children in the Nauru detention centre are not adequately screened for disease, resulting in the likelihood that many are carrying undiagnosed blood-borne diseases and up to 50% are carrying latent tuberculosis.
There are no paediatricians employed in the centre and no paediatric life support available on Nauru.
There is no clear child protection framework for children inside the centre and it is unclear what child protection checks are undertaken for Nauruan staff. This, according to the report, “places them [asylum seeker children] at significant risk of sexual abuse”.
In a 14-month period between 2012 and 2013 there were 102 cases of self-harm, including 28 hanging attempts by 18 detainees; 6.3% of the asylum seekers are on psychotropic medication to treat mental illness.
There were 53 medical transfers to Australia in 2012-13 at a cost of $85,000 a transfer, with the report also noting that these can take up to 36 hours to complete.
Living conditions are “crowded, hot and humid” with children having “limited meaningful play”. Children play with stones.
There is an apparent significant risk of groundwater contamination as a result of poor waste management at the detention centre.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

webmeister posted:

Does this mean Baird only just beat out Don't Know? :laffo:

Yeah I've just gotten through digesting this. Jesus loving wept. 100K NSW voters can't tell the difference between Liberal/National and Lib Dem. Fifty four percent of NSW citizens don't know who our premier is. Are we through pretending compulsory voting is anything but a sham at this point?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Counterargument: The recent EU elections show what can happen when only the passionate supporters turn up.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Cartoon posted:

https://www.humanrights.gov.au/our-work/asylum-seekers-and-refugees/make-submission

Thanks Cartoon.

In case anyone cares, here's a copy paste of bits I put in the different boxes:

quote:

ABC, The Guardian and New Matilda have published comprehensive reports which show that offshore mandatory immigration detention is having a disastrous effect on young people:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/30/nauru-detention-serious-health-risks-to-children-revealed-in-confidential-report
http://www.radioaustralia.net.au/in...-health/1317646
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/may/12/sadness-and-fear-what-the-drawings-by-children-in-detention-showed-us
https://newmatilda.com/2014/04/10/australia-persecuting-persecuted
https://newmatilda.com/2014/03/05/leaked-psych-report-shows-detentions-toll

The Guardian today reported on awful health risks posed to children in detention on Nauru. This is disgusting, we are a rich country and we can afford to do better.

Community detention is cheap and infinitely more humane than dumping the world's most vulnerable people in places like Nauru and Manus Island where they are clearly at risk to violence and serious threats to their health. I do not trust the Department of Immigration because of stories I have heard about how uncooperative they are. I have heard that they do not pay legal costs in a timely manner. I have heard that they retain law firms with instructions to "fight everything" - an approach that is clearly inconsistent with the government's obligations to behave as a model litigant.

The Department has famously tried very hard to to ensure that assessments happen outside the safeguards of Australian law. There was a High Court case where assessments were found to have been invalidly made because the Department's guidelines stated that Australian law was not binding. The Department cannot be trusted.

Everything I have read about mandatory indefinite offshore detention (including detention of children) has satisfied me that it is a needless brutal and harmful policy that needs to be ended. History will look back on this as a shameful chapter in Australian governance.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

adamantium|wang posted:

Holy poo poo.

Holy poo poo is right.

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

The White Witch never knew what hit her.

Mr Chips posted:

Does anyone know where to find the quintile breakdowns for a)income earned and b)fraction of total tax paid? (ie the top 20% of income earners make X% of all earned income and pay Y% of all income tax paid). I've been trawling the ABS but haven't found anything explicit.

See below from CNBC - The Rich do not pay the most taxes, they pay ALL the taxes:
http://www.cnbc.com/id/101264757

In the USA top 20% pays 94% of income taxes.
In the USA top 40% pays 106.2% of income taxes.

In Australia the numbers are more [insert adjective here]

There is a chart here showing the top 20% pays roughly 60% of all taxes in Australia.
http://www.taxreview.treasury.gov.au/content/Paper.aspx?doc=html/publications/papers/report/section_3-03.htm

Which is discussed in more detail here: http://cis.org.au/images/stories/policy-monographs/pm-63.pdf

Hypation fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 30, 2014

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Hypation posted:

Well, with numbers like that consider me won over, sir.

e: when you include the bottom 3 quintiles, does the total income tax paid amount to over 200%?

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
When you factor in indirect taxes, which tories don't, there's not much difference in effective tax rate.

http://mattcowgill.wordpress.com/2013/03/21/playing-games-with-tax-statistics/

quote:

Sinclair Davidson

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

That's some bullshit maths.

E: Specifically the idea that more than 100% of the income tax revenue could be paid in income tax.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Nah the maths is sound.
They're factoring in social services, so when you add up all those foodstamps that the poors are living it up on, they actually pay negative taxes!
Lucky duckies.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

They're factoring in social services and rebates and poo poo but are only talking about income tax because it lets them say misleading stuff like "one group is paying more than 100 percent of individual income taxes".

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
It's legit. For every 100 cars GM makes, for instance, they make 106 cars.

I've noticed than when I started earning over 60k a year for each $100 I spent on hookers I spent $106 on hookers.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Sanguine posted:

I've noticed than when I started earning over 60k a year for each $100 I spent on hookers I spent $106 on hookers.
And wasted the rest?

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

Sanguine posted:

Well, with numbers like that consider me won over, sir.

e: when you include the bottom 3 quintiles, does the total income tax paid amount to over 200%?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

That's some bullshit maths.

E: Specifically the idea that more than 100% of the income tax revenue could be paid in income tax.

So the math works by considering the tax burden on individuals which is the tax they pay minus the deductions and rebates they receive. For example, suppose you divide an economy into two groups A and B and:

Group A pays $10 in Tax to the Government and receives $3 in deductions and rebates.
Group B pays $2 in Tax to the Government and receives $4 in deductions and rebates.

The Government receives total tax net of deductions and rebates of: $10 + $2 - $3 - $4 = $5.
That $5 is the amount of tax that the government actually gets and is the amount of tax that the taxpayers actually bear the burden for paying. The other $7 is netted off the gross amount of $12 and returned to the population.

In looking at the tax burden of each group:

Group A's tax contribution is $10 - $3 = $7.
Group B's tax contribution is $2 - $4 = -$2.

Group A pays +$7 / $5 of the total tax take = 140%
Group B pays -$2 / $5 of the total tax take = -40%

---

Bottom line is whenever there are rebates and deductions such that there is a group of people who pay less than zero tax in net terms (tax-takers), the remaining group (tax-payers) will end up paying more than 100% of the tax burden.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Hypation posted:

So the math works by considering the tax burden on individuals which is the tax they pay minus the deductions and rebates they receive. For example, suppose you divide an economy into two groups A and B and:

Group A pays $10 in Tax to the Government and receives $3 in deductions and rebates.
Group B pays $2 in Tax to the Government and receives $4 in deductions and rebates.

The Government receives total tax net of deductions and rebates of: $10 + $2 - $3 - $4 = $5.
That $5 is the amount of tax that the government actually gets and is the amount of tax that the taxpayers actually bear the burden for paying. The other $7 is netted off the gross amount of $12 and returned to the population.

In looking at the tax burden of each group:

Group A's tax contribution is $10 - $3 = $7.
Group B's tax contribution is $2 - $4 = -$2.

Group A pays +$7 / $5 of the total tax take = 140%
Group B pays -$2 / $5 of the total tax take = -40%

---

Bottom line is whenever there are rebates and deductions such that there is a group of people who pay less than zero tax in net terms (tax-takers), the remaining group (tax-payers) will end up paying more than 100% of the tax burden.

When people refer to lies, drat lies, and statistics. this is what they are referring to.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Thewlis posted:

Hey Auspol, quick question.
My Mum was notified that her company will begin mandatory drug and alcohol testing for all employees, and if they refuse they will be subject to disciplinary action. She works for a pharmaceutical company, and they're claiming that it's part of the government's OH&S requirements. Are they full of poo poo?

Cartoon posted:

So full of poo poo that I can smell it in another state.

http://www.medvet.com.au/news/workplace-drug-tests-tipped-to-increase

She should immediately join a union.

http://www.nuw.org.au
Covers the pharma industry, get your mum to give them a ring and see what they say. Ring ACTU and find out if there is a more relevant union for you.

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

KennyTheFish posted:

When people refer to lies, drat lies, and statistics. this is what they are referring to.

When people say don't shoot the messenger for not giving you the news you want, this is what they are referring to.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Interesting, interesting.

I also notice from that report that over half of all income is in the first quintile. I can only assume this means that a person from the top 1 in 5 works more than twice as hard as 4 people from the remaining population combined.

Interesting issue.

Clearly there is a vast conspiracy cutting down the poor hard-working US citizens to provide funds for the sector of society that just mooches off their hard work.

Pidgin Englishman fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 30, 2014

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Cartoon posted:

Submitted. My role is "Concerned Australian citizen".

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Huh I guess the top 40% are just dumb idiots for not throwing their money to the wind and living it up on food stamps.

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

Sanguine posted:

Interesting, interesting.

I also notice from that report that over half of all income is in the first quintile. I can only assume this means that the a person from the top 1 in 5 works more than twice as hard as 4 people from the remaining population combined.

Some would work harder - as in full time wages will be compared with casuals; but more significantly there are people who are just smarter and more talented and command a higher salary as a result; and finally a group of people who chose to get off their rear ends to take a risk, had luck on the side of their effort and are now being vastly rewarded for it.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Hypation posted:

Some would work harder - as in full time wages will be compared with casuals; but more significantly there are people who are just smarter and more talented and command a higher salary as a result; and finally a group of people who chose to get off their rear ends to take a risk, had luck on the side of their effort and are now being vastly rewarded for it.

What about those who got lucky in life being born to rich parents?

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Hypation posted:

Hypation posted:

As an investment banker, adjunct lecturer in accounting and finance, fellow of FINSIA and all-round financial whiz/nice guy

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Hypation posted:

Jesus christ you are an odious prick.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

If these are the life lessons being imparted onto business and finance students, it is little wonder that most of them grow up to be liberal-voting FYGMers with little to no human empathy

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Hypation posted:

How about those who straight-up illegally scam their workers, those who profit from not having to pay for any of the externalities they impose on the rest of us, like not just carbon emissions but contaminating groundwater and so on, those who rake in extra profits by only paying sweatshop wages and not even bothering to make sure that those sweatshops probably won't burn down, and those who just get handed a high-paying job thanks to having a wealthy and influential family member?

Did you just think these types of rich people went without mentioning, or do you not believe they exist?

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Hypation posted:

See below from CNBC - The Rich do not pay the most taxes, they pay ALL the taxes:
http://www.cnbc.com/id/101264757

In the USA top 20% pays 94% of income taxes.

In Australia the numbers are more [insert adjective here]

There is a chart here showing the top 20% pays roughly 60% of all taxes in Australia.
http://www.taxreview.treasury.gov.au/content/Paper.aspx?doc=html/publications/papers/report/section_3-03.htm

Which is discussed in more detail here: http://cis.org.au/images/stories/policy-monographs/pm-63.pdf
This comes up regularly on r/Australia and this is my stock standard reply that I keep copying and pasting:

quote:

The ACTU have a number of discussion papers on the tax system, especially on misleading claims and self-interested demands of the typical participants in the tax

One example is their paper on Tax Myths and Realities. The section of 'Who pays what? Taxes as a proportion of incomes' goes into the progressivity of the tax system, where personal income tax is the main source of progressivity - many other taxes are proportional or

Therefore the overall tax system is only weakly progressive as a result:

• Households in the top 20% of the income distribution pay an average of 34.5% tax, despite the fact that 25% of their income is taxed. (9.5% of tax is via indirect taxes)
  • Households in the bottom 20% pay 26.7% despite 0% of their income is taxed. (26.7% of tax is via indirect taxes)

Regressive taxes are those which are applied at a uniform rate, hitting lower-income individuals harder. The GST is an example of this, a broad-based consumption tax to generate revenue for the Government. If this then funds an income tax cut, it then leads to even more tax inequality - from the image linked above, the dark blue sections are lowered so there is less progression in taxation.

Therefore I would suggest your notion that the majority of the tax burden is shouldered on the upper class is untrue.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Wait, no, that's fair enough.

Surely reading and signing documents, maybe typing something for someone else to check, is easily worth 4 or 5 times more per hour than scrubbing poo poo out of a toilet stall.

I know I'd happily spend 5 hours doing the later to avoid an hour of the former.

Oh, sorry, yes. Skill. My bad. Clearly janitors can't read or make decisions, they need the smart people to do it for them or else they might

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Does anyone seriously have a problem with the rich paying most, or even all, tax? Seems pretty reasonable to me, it's not like anyone is forcing them to remain rich.

• Locked thread