Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
we made apple pie

:bsdsnype:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

posting on page 777

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
So is someone manipulating the price again because I don't see how it can possibly be rocketing up like that with so little volume

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Samurai Quack posted:

So is someone manipulating the price again because I don't see how it can possibly be rocketing up like that with so little volume

since when has there ever been a reason for anything involving bitcoin

it's ideologically driven, the pure antithesis of rational actor economics

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Samurai Quack posted:

you have things incredibly backwards man, the skyrocketing is all the more believable because of the low volume, and while low volume is good for starting manipulating the price, doing manipulation should add some volume

don't try to predict markets too much though, bitcoin is stupid and pointless, but being pointless is a better reason for it to hit a billion dollars at thin volume than it is for it to hit $0 at high volume

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

i still love how one person can buy .01 bitcoin for 5 dollars and the site shows the price as 500

that other exchange site clarkmoody changed it's name and want's you to sign up to view it:psyduck:

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Boxturret posted:

posting on page 777

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Boxturret posted:

posting on page 777

yea same

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

e: misremembered

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Boxturret posted:

posting on page 7-7-lemon

oh god drat it!

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmEVBtspJSY

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

thought it was going to be 777 9311, was disappointed

http://vimeo.com/m/76278039

Bohemian Cowabunga
Mar 24, 2008

either my speakers are broken or this is terrible .. its both

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

foodchat is neat and all but seems without ...! we lose focus so let me help

I work in the finance team of a large UK based organisation and we are examining how to make payments in Bitcoin. We have several hurdles to overcome (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 3 hours ago by jimmy_dreambeard

Currently, we make most payments using BACS transfers. Our accounting package carries out a list of checks before we can make a payment. The payments are then signed by an authorised member of staff. We then send instructions to the bank to issue payments. If someone were to send a fraudulent BACS run then the bank are liable and would reimburse us.

Our problem is that with Bitcoin there is no bank. If someone were to gain access to the private key then we're hosed. We have a single point of failure. What is the best way to compensate for this?

My first idea is to use a multisig wallet, using 2 of 3 sigs to make a payment. Our payments team sign the payments with one key and send them to an automated program that signs the second signature as long as the payment meets requirements (such as; is the payee a known payee, is this amount within limits etc). Somehow we also need to secure the keys somehow, so they're never exposed to the net and ideally not to staff member either. I'm not sure how to do this yet.

Can anyone see any problems with this proposal or suggest a better structure? Does multisig software for this implementation exist yet? Does ANY software exist for Bitcoin used in a business to business context?

We all know of the current payment system risks but they don't matter because they're tolerated risks. If I'm to get this through mgmt, saying Bitcoin is better because it does x instead of y is not satisfactory if the current system has one more check, so replacing the bank's role is necessary.

Any help is much appreciated!

IkmoIkmo 13 points 2 hours ago

Whatever you do, try to reach out to Bitpay, Coinbase and Circle with your concerns. It might spur them on to develop a centralized, insured payment service for Business2Business, either by acting as a bank-counterparty, or by offering an easy to use and insured multi-signature system.

You could of course hire software engineers to build you an in-house system you described. (Basically, multi-signature encrypted keys for each of the authorized people who could traditionally sign off a payment, combined with a multi-sig key of an electronic system that only signs the transaction if the tx is within certain parameters, like known address, volume below treshhold etc)

But I think it might be better if you'd have specialized bitcoin services built these products and offer insurance on the funds as a counterparty and act as a cheaper/easier/faster and more digital payment system.

There's no software package that I know of that already exists that can do everything you want. Multi-signature is available, but not in combination with automatic algorithms that protect against fraud/theft (like checking known addresses, checking the volume etc) but this is definitely something that can be developed for bitcoin because it's all software based.

Please keep us up to date how this works out for you :) I think your best bet is to talk to a few payment-service companies that do merchant-services and see if they'd be interested in developing such a merchant payment service and act as a trusted counterparty. For example, Circle has said they do consumer finance for free, but are looking to develop merchant products (among other things) for monetization, and they already have their funds insured by various private companies, they have security in place and have various 2FA options. Bitpay is essentially a 100% business focussed company, and Coinbase is like Circle and does all.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Boxturret posted:

please eat rude people,

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
so have the child molesting bitcoiners been lamenting the death of truecrypt?

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

help, we want to use bitcoin but its worse than our current system in every way, any ideas?

quote:

submitted 3 hours ago by jimmy_dreambeard

thats a p cool name tho

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

oh goody more anger over altcoins

Saying altcoins threaten Bitcoin is like saying the English language will die soon because other languages can be created. (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 9 hours ago by shibalicious

Just so you know, network effect, think about it.

galdikas 14 points 5 hours ago

Actually it is not same at all. I cannot convert to Swahili from English in like a blink of an eye, can I?

I am all for Bitcoin, but this is just another bullshit thread with bullshit reasoning.

[–]shibalicious[S] -2 points 3 hours ago

The point is, you can't just swap from Bitcoin to an altcoin because there's no infrastructure like it.

[–]The_Evil_Within 5 points 2 hours ago

As far as merchants and exchanges are concerned, it's the same infrastructure.

If I was running a business accepting crypto, I'd accept all of it. Who cares which one it is when you're doing instant conversion to fiat?

SearchForTruthNow2 15 points 9 hours ago*

The difference is that with money we converge to one money.

http://blog.oleganza.com/post/54121516413/the-universe-wants-one-money

Maybe it is already happening with language as well but language convergence will take hundreds of years.

[–]platypii 12 points 9 hours ago

Source? Considering that human civilization has existed with money for thousands of years, and it hasn't converged yet, why are you so confident that there won't be a multi-currency future?

[–]SearchForTruthNow2 18 points 9 hours ago*

Because the civilization was forced to use govs money the last hundred years..

There are many scarce metals (gold platinum etc) but within a free society/village/city (no king or government imposing one) people were using/converging to one and that was usually gold and in some other societies silver and in some other seashells. The difference now due to internet the "closed" society is global.

Currency is a language to transmit value and the most efficient way is to use a common standard. Markets are by their nature seeking the most efficient method. It just takes time to do so.

the only reason altcoins didnt die is because the there many newbies coming in but over time people will converge... You already see it with shibes coming slowly to bitcoin. If there were no newcomers we would have converged much faster.

[–]miles37 2 points 6 hours ago

Government borders and state-education have also preserved national languages.

[–]SearchForTruthNow2 2 points 6 hours ago

That is a good point

platypii 2 points 9 hours ago

Yeah, I think bankers managed the pull the wool over everyones eyes and somehow they completely redefined money to their own advantage. And now it's just an accepted paradigm that nation states print their own fiat currencies and have a central banks administer the supply.

I feel that the coming financial collapse will really make people question their faith in paper money, especially when there are much sounder options like crypto available.

I'm still not sure that there will be 100% convergence though. I'd expect alternative blockchains to retain some value, just for the sake of robustness (if the bitcoin blockchain is compromised for some reason, we need another secure blockchain to switch to).

Satirei 13 points 6 hours ago

The problem I have is people have financial incentives to try and make alt coins appear more legitimate in this subreddit if they have some. For people who haves used bitcoin for a while, they realize alt coins started as interesting spinoffs but now they are pumped and dumped by people trying to make a quick buck.

Someone holding dark coin or peer coin will post saying "why can't all the crypto currencies be friends?" And it will be up voted by alt coin users because outside of them, no one gives a gently caress about your lovely altcoin.

I have the same problem with Dogecoin. It's a funny "fun" currency, and people will keep pushing that, but the problem is when it's not actually funny anymore but people keep pushing it because they don't want to see it lose value.

And bitcoin is no exception, but it does get called out on people's "to the moon" related posts. It's just people who want their investment to increase in value, not actually rational thought.

[–]guffenberg 3 points 2 hours ago

I generally agree with you but I don't up vote alcoins for shallow reasons like that. I up vote them for the same reasons I no longer drive a Volvo 240. I now have other choices, and that choice is no longer superior.

[–]1s44c 1 point 28 minutes ago

None of the altcoins bring anything new to the table. They are just Bitcoin with a new name, new timing values, or a different hash function. There is nothing at all new about Litecoin or Dogecoin.

Darkcoin is a possible exception to this as it did bring something new. It broke strict peer2peer in the process though.

karljt 2 points 6 hours ago

Your "first in the game" status won't protect you forever. Especially if crypto takes off in a big way. Bitcoin is incredibly slow compared to all other alts. Some transactions on your network can take 12 hours to confirm if a hefty fee is not paid to the miners.

[–]Sleepnbum 2 points 4 hours ago

Don't U think btc can innovate and evolve? It's open sourced and is meant to be modified and upgraded over time...it's incredibly early it crypto life, changes will require time and patience.

[–]stopurbs 1 point 4 hours ago

Comment history reveals you are a well known troll who spreads hate, abuse and FUD on everything besides /r/litecoin.

You don't have primacy like Bit, don't have tech like Dark, don't have community like Doge. All you have is "Silver to Bitcoin's Gold". Let's see how that works out for you.

[–]mool999 1 point 3 hours ago

I wouldn't class myself as a troll, however I do prefer using litecoins over bitcoin and I've used both extensively. This of course is only from a personal perspective but I've found transferring value using litecoins to be a much better experience than sending bitcoins. So that works for me, just fine.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

thats not the worst comparisin yheyve made but they dont realize that bitcoin is esparanto in that scenario

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Boxturret posted:

posting on page 777

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
/r/bitcoin makes a lot more sense when you understand that all bitcoiner positions are based on a belief that bitcoin already reigns surpeme

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Made the leap from Dogecoin (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 11 hours ago by TheDyslexicDolphin

I have finally decided to make the change from Dogecoin. While the community is great, they are stuck using sayings like 1Đ = 1Đ and hope that sponsoring events will increase the price. So I decided to make the change to bitcoin! So my real question is, can anyone help start me off on my bitcoin journey, with any advice, tips, etc? Thanks in advance

Don't They already buy Bitcoin? How else do they get doge

[–]greyman 5 points 7 hours ago

From mining, or you will get doges by tips, when you write nice things or would say you are a newbie on /r/dogecoin.

[–]supremecommand3r 3 points 6 hours ago

Not many actually buy doge? Yet want to go to the moon?

[–]HistoryLessonforBitc 6 points 5 hours ago

It's almost as if the price and making a profit isn't everything, and the whole "moon" business is one massive joke.

TheLastTimeLord8 12 points 11 hours ago

I just bought Bitcoin, but I still love Dogecoin!

[–]TheDyslexicDolphin[S] 9 points 11 hours ago

I'm not saying I dislike dogecoin, but bitcoin has more of a credible and sustainable appeal to it

[–]MurrayTheMonster 7 points 9 hours ago

It always has had that appeal. Doge will always have a special place in my heart because I mined it from the beginning, but I never saw it as more than a play coin. The community spirit is the greatest thing about Doge.

[–]TheDyslexicDolphin[S] 3 points 9 hours ago

Same with me, it was the first thing that I mined, but it is a play coin like you said

amnesiac-eightyfour 4 points 8 hours ago

10000 satoshis /u/changetip

[–]changetip 2 points 8 hours ago

The bitcoin tip for 10000 satoshis ($0.06) is waiting for TheDyslexicDolphin to collect it.

BitttBurger 3 points 3 hours ago

I bailed on Doge after the "halving". Mining became 50% less profitable and my electric bill was double what I was making. Coincidentally it was around this time that Wolong disappeared, the pumps and dumps stopped, and the actual Doge economy was left to show it's vitality. And it went completely stagnant. Wolong was why Doge price kept skyrocketing. In the end, it is adoption and commerce and demand that outstrips supply which causes price increases of any relevance. Not "novelty" or a sub-community of enthusiasts.

rangeoflight 1 point 5 hours ago

Yes Dogecoin seems to be for children who like to play and bitcoin is for adults who take their financial freedom and prosperity more seriously. Nothing wrong with either approach, but that's the way it is.

But all of the alt coins are ultimately good for bitcoin because people bail out of the alts and almost always convert those funds to BTC.

Anyway only advice is to understand how private keys work and be sure you have those backed up before you send any funds to any wallet not on an exchange. I didn't do that with blockchain.info wallet and their website glitch cost me 8 BTC.

Anyway be prepared to watch BTC go up in price while DOGE drops further into relative obscurity.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Is there a way to protect your Bitcoin wallet from keyloggers? (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 4 hours ago by cybrbeast

I have a strong password and most my BTC in cold storage. I do have a few BTC in my hot wallet though. The biggest risk here is a keylogger, are there any ways of protecting against this?

I guess I could type part of my key using the mouse controlled on screen keyboard, or would that also be logged?

-not going to bother copying the comments for this one cause it's pretty predictable
... wait i lied check this poo poo out

espringe 4 points 3 hours ago

Bitcoin vigil is basically your perfect solution. Almost all the current keylogging and financial software will opportunistically steal any bitcoins immediately on your computer -- and bitcoin vigil will give you an early heads up that your computer is infected before you enter a password/2FA that can be logged and reused

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Bitcoin is digital scarcity (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 11 hours ago by SingularityLoop

"A functional model of a distributed trust network is incredible. It's the "missing piece of the puzzle" in the information revolution. Transmitting and copying data at near-zero cost is incredible, but sometimes you need digital scarce goods. A good example is a reputation system on a web community. In the past the only way to achieve a digital scarce good was to have someone centralised that managed and was essentially "god" over that scarce good, with the power to create/destroy/assign at will."

jcoffland 19 points 9 hours ago

Recently someone asked me to explain Bitcoin to them. I started by saying that a currency must have scarcity in order to be valuable. She said, "no it doesn't." That's as far as we got.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

What's the best way to make rapid bitcoin purchases without waiting for the next block to receive change? (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 3 hours ago by bitcoinquestions001

So one problem I currently have with bitcoin is that if all my coins are in one address in my wallet, I can only send my bitcoins once every thirty minutes or so. I believe this is because once I spend them, I have to wait to receive my bitcoins in the change address.

This isn't normally a problem, but I plan to go to a bitcoin fair where I will probably be walking around buying a lot of stuff with my bitcoins. I'm worried that I'm going to have to pause between purchases because I'm waiting for a confirmation.

I guess I could make a bunch of new addresses and divide my bitcoins amongst them, but as far as I know this will make me pay a lot in fees. Is this the best way or can anyone suggest an alternative?

newhampshire22 4 points 2 hours ago

There is an option of paying two (or ten) people with one transaction. If you know what you're going to spend at each location before you spend it then this will be a solution.
:cawg:

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

LethalGeek posted:

Recently someone asked me to explain Bitcoin to them. I started by saying that a currency must have scarcity in order to be valuable. She said, "no it doesn't." That's as far as we got.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Dynamite Dog posted:

thats not the worst comparisin yheyve made but they dont realize that bitcoin is esparanto in that scenario

bitcoin is whatever language that dude that calls me 5am in the morning to grunt in the phone speaks

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

InShaneee posted:

look on the bright side:

we are going to learn so much about malnutrition from the idiots that buy that poo poo

also the guy who posted it on facebook got really pissed when i said it was garbage

when i said it was basically guesswork by an incompetent fucklord and at best is just a plaything for lazy rich people he said "well poor people dont eat well!"

i had no response to that

like isnt soylent $5 a meal or something? that sounds wicked awesome for someone with a $60 a mo food budget. revolutionizing food for sure!!

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Adult Sword Owner posted:

also the guy who posted it on facebook got really pissed when i said it was garbage

when i said it was basically guesswork by an incompetent fucklord and at best is just a plaything for lazy rich people he said "well poor people dont eat well!"

i had no response to that

like isnt soylent $5 a meal or something? that sounds wicked awesome for someone with a $60 a mo food budget. revolutionizing food for sure!!

Yeah, but if you buy a huge package the price goes down to $3.50 per meal.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

LethalGeek posted:

satan bless this lady for that smackdown

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

LethalGeek posted:

Bitcoin vigil is basically your perfect solution. Almost all the current keylogging and financial software will opportunistically steal any bitcoins immediately on your computer -- and bitcoin vigil will give you an early heads up that your computer is infected before you enter a password/2FA that can be logged and reused

someone photoshop the lifelock truck into goxtruck.gif, tia

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

LethalGeek posted:

I plan to go to a bitcoin fair where I will probably be walking around buying a lot of stuff with my bitcoins. I'm worried that I'm going to have to pause between purchases because I'm waiting for a confirmation.

I'm thinking a bitcoin fair is like a steampunk meetup but with less women and more dried strawberries

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

DNova posted:

Yeah, but if you buy a huge package the price goes down to $3.50 per meal.

just $10 a day!!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

LethalGeek posted:

I am all for Bitcoin, but this is just another bullshit thread with bullshit reasoning.

read that as bitcoin thread with bitcoin reasoning

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Adult Sword Owner posted:

just $10 a day!!

what about FourthMeal™

Brain Aged
Feb 10, 2005

Bridle all this indiscretion, Long enough to edify. And permanently fill this hollow
I didn't think it was possible to eat more unhealthy and spend more than just eating fast food 24/7. guess I was wrong.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
soylent is what you get out of people who think those microwaveable prepared meals from a convenience store freezer are too much effort

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

soylent is what you get out of people

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

just bad at certain cuts you've never heard of

where have you ever seen an "airline cut" for example?

edit: also a perfectionist

the restaurant i was at last night featured airline chicken as a special. i didn't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

soylent is what you get out of people who think those microwaveable prepared meals from a convenience store freezer are too much effort

its also amazing that the general feeling is "the poors will come flock to this and thank us for saving them so much time and giving them better nutrition"

• Locked thread