Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
In the alternative universe where the other team advances, who will win the NBA title
This poll is closed.
Nets 10 4.55%
Wizards 64 29.09%
Trailblazers 42 19.09%
Clippers 104 47.27%
Total: 220 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Oladipo, Tony Parker and Kemba Walker stand out as weird vote-getters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

morestuff posted:

They do? Over the back-up and stopgap players?

Are writers still banned from homer picking, because how else is DeMarre Carrol getting any recognition.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

JOhn Wall is going to have to make the playoffs before anyone remembers he is an elite PG.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

They hating on Trevor Ariza :mad:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kibner posted:

Anthony Davis got too many votes. Tony Allen not enough. Marc Gasol got disrespected, imo, with only 8 total votes and no first team. John Wall was similarly forgotten about.

Gasol was hurt for a decent chunk of the year.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

euphronius posted:

JOhn Wall is going to have to make the playoffs before anyone remembers he is an elite PG.

Are you thinking of a different John Wall.....

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
For those of us who are Dan Lebatard fans, here's the 2014 Pacers rant in video form:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzGbhsjD71Y

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Phil Jackson was fined $25k for tampering with Derek Fisher :lol:

I like that no one cared enough in these threads to even think about that as tampering before the fine happened.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

euphronius posted:

Look I know the playoffs take forever but the Wizards made the second round it can't have been more than a month ago.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Wall's not an elite PG

yet

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tae posted:

Even at full health, Ibaka was rated as an average post defender. His strength is the ability to roam the court and block with his athleticism.

In the same video you see Ibaka stuff several drives to the rim and that definitely had an effect on what the Spurs wanted to do.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Whoever voted Harden for defensive teams needs to have their votes stripped away next season. They clearly should be fired from their job.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 2, 2014

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

commy gun posted:

Wall's not an elite PG

yet

one day he will be better than pat bev... one day

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Spacebump posted:

I like that no one cared enough in these threads to even think about that as tampering before the fine happened.

We honestly should have seen it coming based on all the silly tampering fines Morey got last year and they were far less egregious than what Phil did.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
If I could vote for any of these postseason awards I would only vote for Keith Bogans and James Harden and whoever to piss off people on the internet.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Not sure if this is Spurs fan bias, but Splitter really should have gotten votes.

He's the more complete Spurs bigman defender at this point (I love Duncan, but he's nowhere near as good defending P&Rs nowadays), and despite not getting blocks, opposing players shoot a lower FG% at the rim on shots he's defending.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

yo sports is good

Tae posted:

Even at full health, Ibaka was rated as an average post defender. His strength is the ability to roam the court and block with his athleticism.

To expand on this, he's not especially strong and Tim Duncan is still quick enough that he can get shots off around Ibaka or create a bit of space for himself without being overwhelmed while also being able to straight up back him down underneath the basket.

anakha posted:

Not sure if this is Spurs fan bias, but Splitter really should have gotten votes.

He's the more complete Spurs bigman defender at this point (I love Duncan, but he's nowhere near as good defending P&Rs nowadays), and despite not getting blocks, opposing players shoot a lower FG% at the rim on shots he's defending.

He should have, but it's impossible to watch every game and FG% at rim/on contested shots is not a stat that a lot of the voters look at and blocks are

Panzeh posted:

In the same video you see Ibaka stuff several drives to the rim and that definitely had an effect on what the Spurs wanted to do.

This is also true. No one said Ibaka wasn't an important defensive piece for the Thunder (see points in the paint for the first two games) but putting Duncan on him was a mismatch.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Jordan Farmar looks like a skinny version of Turtle from Entourage

Rick posted:

Take away whoever voted David Lee's vote.

Find a fat old man who'll give you a rant about how defensive rebounds are the only way to end an opponent's possession and so are technically defense

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

WEREWAIF posted:

Find a fat old man who'll give you a rant about how defensive rebounds are the only way to end an opponent's possession and so are technically defense

That old man doesn't know about steals, blocks, offensive fouls, turnovers, or the ball going out of bounds after hitting the rim, and for that I will kick his rear end, decapitate him, and inherit his AP votes

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Tae posted:

This is the single dumbest circle jerkiest thing that this forum has harped on ever since we moved on from the years of Lovechat.

Ibaka is absolutely an elite all-NBA level defender and is almost universally recognized year-in year-out as such by players, press, and coaches.

He single-handedly makes the Thunder work defensively, he has been Top 3 in blocks for three or four years running, and yeah he may have struggled guarding the best PF in NBA history 1-on-1 with only half a working set of legs, but average post defender? Come on.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
Also, Serge is okay one-on-one in the post but more important as a rover. There are a few ways to beat the Thunder, but the easiest is to play 4 perimeter players and a big who can shoot. Brooks will either stay big, in which case Shane Battier or Boris Diaw rains threes over Serge who's gonna try to protect the rim, or the Thunder match up and you can pnr them to death because Durant will over-help on every single drive and leave his man wide open, even if it's Danny Green or Mike Miller. It took the Heat (in 2012) and the Spurs a few games to figure out just how effective this lineup is, but once opposing coaches figure it out, they can ride it to wide open 3s every single possession and OKC has no answer save a Westbrook gamble to disrupt the pass off the drive or Durant's recovery speed.

Bush Did Outer Heaven fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 2, 2014

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Post defense is not the same as help defense because Ibaka is a fantastic help defender

It is going to be okay guys

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
He's like 6'10" and 200 lbs or some poo poo which is why he's so extremely mobile (and he is an elite defender and should make the all-defense teams) but also can't defend real post players.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Terry Glenn posted:

Also, Serge is okay one-on-one in the post but more important as a rover. There are a few ways to beat the Thunder, but the easiest is to play 4 perimeter players and a big who can shoot. Brooks will either stay big, in which case Shane Battier or Boris Diaw rains threes over Serge who's gonna try to protect the rim, or the Thunder match up and you can pnr them to death because Durant will over-help on every single drive and leave his man wide open, even if it's Danny Green or Mike Miller. It took the Heat (in 2012) and the Spurs a few games to figure out just how effective this lineup is, but once opposing coaches figure it out, they can ride it to wide open 3s every single possession and OKC has no answer save a Westbrook gamble to disrupt the pass off the drive or Durant's recovery speed.

So OKC and a healthy Pels squad might be fun to watch.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Libertine posted:

This is the single dumbest circle jerkiest thing that this forum has harped on ever since we moved on from the years of Lovechat.

Ibaka is absolutely an elite all-NBA level defender and is almost universally recognized year-in year-out as such by players, press, and coaches.

He single-handedly makes the Thunder work defensively, he has been Top 3 in blocks for three or four years running, and yeah he may have struggled guarding the best PF in NBA history 1-on-1 with only half a working set of legs, but average post defender? Come on.

If this article is accurate, Ibaka allowed more points per posession defending the post last season than noted defensive stalwart Al Jefferson.

I know it's not a end-all be-all conclusion, but still.

anakha fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 2, 2014

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Declan MacManus posted:

Post defense is not the same as help defense because Ibaka is a fantastic help defender

It is going to be okay guys

Exactly. I never said Ibaka is a lovely defender or whatever, but he's average (not godawful) at defending a big 1-on-1 year in and out. That's perfectly fine in the current NBA when teams are going away from the PF/C posting up and are moving smaller and smaller to spark up offenses.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Declan MacManus posted:

yo sports is good

What's the word around Phins camp

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Libertine posted:

Relax. People think Ibaka is an average at best one on one post defender, which is true. That is not the same thing as thinking he's a bad defensive player overall. He's very good at a lot of other aspects of defense, many of which are more important than one on one post defense in the grand scheme of things.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Kibner posted:

I'm interested to see if more teams start trying that lineup against OKC. The issue that the average NBA team will have with that sort of lineup is defending the rim again Durant and Westbrook. If you have a guy like Leonard to put on Durant or God forbid a duo like Wade and James to matchup against Russ and KD, the Thunder are probably going to get confused. The Pels could be problematic with their regular lineup because Anderson can bomb away and David can credibly protect the rim.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

commy gun posted:

What's the word around Phins camp

Don't know don't care I stopped following the NFL offseason this year and it's awesome, I'll just catch up on everything in August and if anything sufficiently interesting happens it'll pop up on my Facebook

Kibner posted:

Two skinny ships passing in the night

H-Tail
Dec 18, 2005

"I'm not a crybaby"

morestuff posted:

Danny Granger got a vote.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Finally:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Imagining Bismack Biyombo wearing nothing but t-shirts and jerseys for his entire life until this company came along

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Bismack's arms are so long that his forearms hang from his elbows like tassels, it's really odd and gets odder the longer you stare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1STl1gSTR8

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Declan MacManus posted:

Imagining Bismack Biyombo wearing nothing but t-shirts and jerseys for his entire life until this company came along

A wife beater doesn't care how long your arms are

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

WhyteRyce posted:

A wife beater doesn't care how long your arms are

Seems rude to assume what Jason Kidd thinks in my opinion.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

CharlestheHammer posted:

Seems rude to assume what Jason Kidd thinks in my opinion.

That's exactly what I was thinking so I googled to see if Bismark was being traded to the Nets.

This forum has infected me.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Declan MacManus posted:

The tuxedo suit t-shirt is both stylish and comfortable.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

PantsFreeZone posted:

For those of us who are Dan Lebatard fans, here's the 2014 Pacers rant in video form:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzGbhsjD71Y

I didn't realize he does this so frequently. I remember his initial rant after The Decision:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZr2qOXQJ4w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
A Wilt picture I had never seen before:

• Locked thread