Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
How do you guys change your rabbit's litter box? Every few days, I just take the whole thing and dump it, and pour new litter in there (I use exquisicat recycled paper litter). Do any of you scoop out the urine soaked litter and the dump new litter on top of the remainder? My bun only pees in one corner of the litter box. I ask only because it seems like I go through litter faster than what I thought I would. It seems like trying to scoop out the stuff may be a nightmare though.

As long as we're talking litter, what does everyone use? I've heard a lot of people mention Yesterday's News, but it's a bit more expensive than exquisicat, which usually runs around 12-13 bucks for a 25 lb bag at petsmart. Just wondering if there may be a cheaper alternative out there that I haven't found.

GAYS FOR DAYS fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jun 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

Do not put rocks in brain.
We use Yesterday's News (at that price) and scoop it. Our ladies only really use one corner as well, so we tend to bank the litter in that corner and then scoop / shake the box about every day. I find that putting any rejected hay in that section helps with poo capture as well.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
We use a cat litter box with two levels but instead of putting the litter on top we put care-fresh on the bottom, then the plastic screen, then a bunch of hay. That way they cant get to the litter itself and throw it everywhere but they are sitting on nice hay they can play with and eat.

Cleaning is just chucking the hay on the compost with the care-fresh, adding a bit more care-fresh and placing the screen back on and filling it back up with hay.

It makes our litter last forever because we only have to use a little bit of it, the stupid rabbit cant get to it to throw it around or eat it, and its simple to clean. We only change ours once a week now and it never smells at all.

http://www.petco.com/product/103817...CFXMA7AodjiIAWQ

This is the one we use but we don't use the top part that acts as a screen for cat scratching, just the bottom two levels, the tray and the screen.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 4, 2014

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face
I use old towels and replace them every 24 hours. Way cheaper than litter and I found it kept their feet cleaner.

Operation Juicebox
Jun 26, 2006

Acnamino MR 100mg Capsules
We have large litterboxes for Conrad and Fluffer, and the trio. Both of those we have this funny shredded material that my housemate buys online that is super aborbsant. Then we have mesh plastic mats over that because otherwise they dig it up, then cover with hay. We scoop the pee soaked stuff out once every three days and replace, and clean the entire thing once a month. Sometimes we do a white vinegar soak.

Sapphire and George we do less regularly as they pretty much keep their pooping to outdoors anyway.

JULIAN ASSANGE
Dec 6, 2012

Julian Assange FACT:
If you unzipped my pants, you would only find more pants.
Now that we're hitting summer, does anyone have any tips on keeping bunnies cool during the warm months? The air conditioner I had last year is a bit rocky now and I know that heat can hurt them.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

JULIAN ASSANGE posted:

Now that we're hitting summer, does anyone have any tips on keeping bunnies cool during the warm months? The air conditioner I had last year is a bit rocky now and I know that heat can hurt them.

When we've had problems before in a heat wave (no a/c here), we've frozen a tupperware full of water and then given them the ice brick to lay on. They seem to snuggle next to it but ymmv.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Trabisnikof posted:

When we've had problems before in a heat wave (no a/c here), we've frozen a tupperware full of water and then given them the ice brick to lay on. They seem to snuggle next to it but ymmv.

2-liter plastic bottles work well for this, too.

kells
Mar 19, 2009
We use something like Yesterday's News (pellets made of recycled newspaper), then put a big rectangle cake drying rack over the top so she doesn't dig it everywhere. I scoop out the pee daily and every now and then I'll tip out the entire lot of litter and replace it all.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Newspaper, yesterday's news, dump into the compost once a week. (But I have three huge boxes for one bunny.)

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Any solid litter tends to get klumped into Harriet's furtrim, so I use paper towels or old rags that I washed first.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Scoop the corner, spread the rest around. I use equine pelletized bedding, the litter of kings. As an added bonus, Ella poops almost exclusively in my plants, so I just throw the pine mulch from them into the composter and re cover with pine straw. The citrus loves it!

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Our bunny likes being around people but is big on personal space. He'll let you pat him if he's on the ground and it's on his head but only for a little. He'll climb over people but isn't super snuggly.

Anyway, this morning he hopped onto our bed like he usually does and just adventured over the top of us and we patted the side of his face.
He just absolutely melted and turned into the snuggliest bunny. Secret bunny hack.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it
Here's some more of little miss Olive.

Flop mode.

Zoomed-in flop mode.

Mugshot.

She and Boston are getting along famously!

Bunkmates... :3:

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
I've never seen my bun beg so much in my life. I had unfortunately gotten into the habit of giving her a turkish apricot once or twice a day, but I ran out yesterday. This morning when I threw her pellets on the couch (I just grab a handful and put them on the couch next to where I normally sit), she jumped up, looked at the pellets and saw no apricot, and just kept staring at me, occasionally inching closer and raising her head to see if I had anything.

Also, she gets crusties in her eyes sometimes. Not bad or anything, just like a person after sleeping, but I kind of really enjoy picking them out for her. She doesn't seem to mind me doing it either.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Welp, vet just said Harriet is the furriest bunny she's ever seen.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Welp, vet just said Harriet is the furriest bunny she's ever seen.

..at which point the vet attached Harriet to a broomhandle and used her to dust the office like a Swiffer.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

grack posted:

..at which point the vet attached Harriet to a broomhandle and used her to dust the office like a Swiffer.

This is the correct thing to do.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
Finally got a new phone with a working camera, so of course the first thing I did was take pictures of chompsky.

I don't think she was a fan.

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

Hi bunny thread, long time no see blah blah.

I'm getting new furniture. I've had middling success with chew-preventative by rubbing a bar of Dr. Bronner's over table legs and such. Has anyone found an effective topical bunny repellant? Particularly with fabric?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

RICKON WALNUTSBANE posted:

Hi bunny thread, long time no see blah blah.

I'm getting new furniture. I've had middling success with chew-preventative by rubbing a bar of Dr. Bronner's over table legs and such. Has anyone found an effective topical bunny repellant? Particularly with fabric?

All steel furniture.

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

I've done my best to minimize wood and upholstery but some still remains. Particularly in the dangerous nibble zone (bunny eye level)

grack
Jan 10, 2012

RICKON WALNUTSBANE posted:

I've done my best to minimize wood and upholstery but some still remains. Particularly in the dangerous nibble zone (bunny eye level)

Horse anti-chewing spray perhaps?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Also, we've been experimenting with leaving our buns chunks of apple wood to chew on near objects they like to chew. It seems pretty successful, until both rabbits want to chew the same block of wood and the loser then chews the wall.

We bought them from a BBQ store.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Errant Gin Monks posted:

All steel furniture.

This and MACE. Or rosemary oil, they hate that stuff.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ada and Grace wish you all a lazy Saturday.

kells
Mar 19, 2009

Oh Lily why are you so beautiful :3:

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

My bunny has been lying next to me in bed for the better part of half an hour, occasionally licking my hand and pushing his head under it to get some head scratches. Probably the longest time ever he's paid attention to a person without being fed.

I feel like I've achieved some sort of miraculous bunny training milestone. He's probably eaten a heap of cabling and just feels guilty or something, right?

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Karandras posted:

My bunny has been lying next to me in bed for the better part of half an hour, occasionally licking my hand and pushing his head under it to get some head scratches. Probably the longest time ever he's paid attention to a person without being fed.

I feel like I've achieved some sort of miraculous bunny training milestone. He's probably eaten a heap of cabling and just feels guilty or something, right?
Ever since my bunny discovered candy, she's gotten a lot more affectionate. But only when I'm eating candy.

She tries to steal lollipops from my mouth by biting the stick and trying to yank it away. Sometimes it's a cute game of tug-of-war. Other times she sulks, hops off the bed, waits til I'm not paying attention to her, and tries to ninja attack my face to steal it. I still got a scratch mark right under my eye from it.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Karandras posted:

Bunnies can become bonded to people rather than other bunnies. It happens.

Or, it's possible you're going to find a human femur under his litter box.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
GDI. I ordered Pepper 50 pounds of oxbow hay and I swear to hell I thought I got orchard grass. Surprise, I hit the wrong button and got Timothy.

Time to start mixing, I guess. The good news is that I put some Timothy in a toy for her and she's really enjoying it.

I'm going to tell myself that stiffer hay means less tooth problems. I'm pretending that's a thing.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Okay so yeah he did this the next morning. Completely murdered it. He was so cute the night before!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Karandras posted:

Okay so yeah he did this the next morning. Completely murdered it. He was so cute the night before!

That's some serious wire hate. Ours usually just snip it somewhere in the middle.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Yeah, normally he just takes a nip of it and realises it isn't food. Kinda like how a shark takes a nibble of a person then realises it's not a seal then usually leaves; equally healthy for the cable and the swimmer.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Karandras posted:

Ah. So he was buttering you up in preparation from doing something bad.

That shows a degree of planning that I might be a little frightened of in a rabbit

(goddamnit I miss my bunnies)

voodoonoid
May 15, 2003

Turkeys fear me!

Karandras posted:

This goes to prove that the only reason bunnies are cute and affectionate is so we still love them when they destroy stuff.
Bunny Hass has found a new patch of carpet to destroy after being cute with the cat for a month, or she is getting back at us for leaving her at the vet for a week while we went on vacation.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
About one year after Idi died, I now have a new bunny rabbit. A friend found him abandoned on the street and since I still had Idi's old stuff, I volunteered to take him.

He's a little baby. Maybe three or four months old. That's new to me since I adopted Idi as an adult, and he was already litterbox trained. This little guy, who doesn't have a name yet, is very stinky and doesn't care where he poops and will pee in any corner he can find. Then he will roll around in it for a while to make sure he's good and stinky.

I tried putting his litter box in his favorite pissing corner in his cage. When I woke up in the morning, I found he had pushed the litter box out of the way and peed on the floor again. He's lucky he's so cute.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Introduced Charlie to my partner's girlfriend's kitten. Started off with him in his pen and he was thumping so much but didn't see too distressed. He did one sorta jump lunge towards her when she was near the fence but then became more inquisitive.

We let him out of the cage and they've been hanging out for the day today. He's much more interested in her and keeps hopping up and trying to sniff, but she's a bit less confident and runs a few paces away. Nothing aggressive and they're both interested in each other but the kitten prefers to be about 20cm away whilst Charlie wants to rub faces and sniff.

Successful day!

(Good photos are hers, lovely phone photos are mine)

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
Chompsky loves her phone book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

The Dude and Pensa hanging out around the new bunny fort.

The337th fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 27, 2014