Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

pinegala posted:

You're forgetting Asuna's crush with the chi/ki skill and one of the other teachers and the loli twins with the furry princes

Didn't that first thing only happen in the anime?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

Serious Frolicking posted:

Again, I have a very hard time taking a relationship involving a pre-pubescent child seriously. In Negima, all of the named male characters are either children or adults. Asuna was portrayed as being a weirdo for being into old men, even though she was pretty much the only person who consistently pointed out how bizarre it was to consider a 10 year old boy as a love interest. Besides, Kotarou was even less interested in girls than Negi, except for when it came to power levels. He was physically and mentally a child in every way.

Aren't the girls only like 13-14? It's not really that farfetched for a 14 year old girl to get a crush on a 10 year old boy, especially one that has saved her life multiple times.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Xyven posted:

Aren't the girls only like 13-14? It's not really that farfetched for a 14 year old girl to get a crush on a 10 year old boy, especially one that has saved her life multiple times.

I really feel that this way lies madness. I recommend just assuming that Negi has 18 Charisma and leave it there.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Evil Thing posted:

I really feel that this way lies madness. I recommend just assuming that Negi has 18 Charisma and leave it there.

His charisma is probably in the twenties. Several characters called him a natural lady killer. Chisame was one, if I recall.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
That's because he has the "Harem Protagonist" feat. He was going for a different build when he started, you see

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Don't get me wrong, I didn't want any serious romance, I just wanted the mangaka to man up and actually resolve one of the central premises of the series.

In the TWGOK thread there was a fair amount of criticism about the ending of that, but at least the author picked a girl.

Namtab fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 3, 2014

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I suspect he intended to, but decided to leave it up in the air when he ended the series the way he had to. We'll most likely learn who he picked once UQ Holder gets around to letting us know who exactly Touta's parents were. Given his surname and his relation to Negi, right now I'm guessing Negi+someone's daughter married a child of Setsuna and Konoe. If that guess is right, I wouldn't be surprised if Kuromaru turns out to be Touta's cousin, since he/she seems to be the same sort of being as Setsuna and looks a helluva lot like her.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Namtab posted:

Don't get me wrong, I didn't want any serious romance, I just wanted the mangaka to man up and actually resolve one of the central premises of the series.

In the TWGOK thread there was a fair amount of criticism about the ending of that, but at least the author picked a girl.

The wrong girl :colbert:

Sir PigglyWiggly
Jan 12, 2013

I got lost in the woods.
Now I'm a tree!

I will fight you.

If he ever does reveal who won Negi, I'm betting on him dragging this out as long as possible. A tease here, another random family tree that will end up being burned there. I still say it was book girl whose name I have forgotten. She was the one who gave poor little 10 year old Negi the most funny feelings.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Sir PigglyWiggly posted:

I will fight you.

If he ever does reveal who won Negi, I'm betting on him dragging this out as long as possible. A tease here, another random family tree that will end up being burned there. I still say it was book girl whose name I have forgotten. She was the one who gave poor little 10 year old Negi the most funny feelings.

The ending paragraphs, among many other things, confirm that Nodoka and Yue weren't picked. They both wound up working in space.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
That and Chisame ended up being a goon for life prove that those ending epilogs were all wrong. :colbert:

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Namtab posted:

The ending paragraphs, among many other things, confirm that Nodoka and Yue weren't picked. They both wound up working in space.

Yeah, because the wizard building the techno-magic space elevator isn't ever going to be heading into orbit.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sir PigglyWiggly posted:

I will fight you.

Ayumi was obviously the best girl :colbert:

I'm personally fond of the idea that Negi got together with Eva. Immortal, end-boss-level beings in similar situations? Has a nice ring to it.

Not likely, though. Sigh. God dammit, Akamatsu. God dammit, Japanese government law thing.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Chisame understood him the best, Honya had the most in common interest/personality wise, and Eve had the most in common circumstantially. Any of them would have made sense.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

PerrineClostermann posted:

Ayumi was obviously the best girl :colbert:

I'm personally fond of the idea that Negi got together with Eva. Immortal, end-boss-level beings in similar situations? Has a nice ring to it.

Some wrong opinions right here. Chihiro ending was the correct ending (though Yui was probably best girl).

I said it before, but I like the Chisame ending for Negi the best. They had I think the best developed relationship and best chemistry, and I think at one point he said something like her opinion on things was the one he respected or trusted the most. Plus I like the opposite idea of what you suggest, where it's the most powerful guy in the solar system and a girl who doesn't really give a poo poo. Also she was a Naru, so clearly it was destined.

And her ending had her in a position with a lot of interplanetary influence without having to leave her room. She was living the goon dream!

To get back on the topic of the series this thread is actually about, I just realized that due to her brand of immortality, Kirie can't have been born more than maybe 12 or so years ago. It seems like she ages normally, barring taking her full body back, so she earned a shitload of money in a very short amount of time. That wouldn't be impossible by any stretch given her special power, but I guess UQ was getting its funding from just odd jobs before then?

chumbler fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 4, 2014

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Yeah, I hope it was Chisame or Eva. Or, for the comedy option, it was Fate. :haw:

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Clearly Haruna forced him into an arranged marriage to legitimize her claim for Lord Empress of all known civilized planets.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Just watch, it's gonna be Yotsuba.

Only cause it's the funniest thing.

Yggdrasil325
Jul 24, 2011

I've been rereading the series as the omnibuses come out in English, there are lots of hints here and there that he might have picked Makie.

But I don't see his choice being all that important - there's a good chance that whoever he picked is also dead at this point.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Finally caught up with this manga after ignoring it for so long. Man, did I make a mistake to delay... Was reading the first couple of chapters as soon as they came out when this manga was first announced, hyped like crazy about Akamatsu actually giving us an ending for Negima but then I stopped for some reason. Guess I was just too disappointed with how Negima ended...

Anyway, I figured that Negi got together with Konoka due to Touta's last name and the fact that he refers to Negi as his grandfather, plus the graves we saw at the beginning of the manga, but that clashes with the fact that Konoka canonically got together with Setsuna. My preference for the eventually winner with Negi is either Chisame or Nodoka, if only because the latter was crushing hard on him and the two of them were cute together, and the former because she and Negi had one of the best relationships after she got over her whole disbelieving of magic thing.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Chisame was definitely one of the better characters, which is surprising given how much she resembled Naru.

As a side note, unless we have a big Negima thread I'm unaware of, I think it's reasonable to discuss some of it here, in the series that serves as a sort of continuation. How about you guys?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

As a side note, unless we have a big Negima thread I'm unaware of, I think it's reasonable to discuss some of it here, in the series that serves as a sort of continuation. How about you guys?

We had a Negima thread, but it dropped into the archives after the manga ended and no one wanted to discuss how disappointing it was. I'd be fine with discussing it here though, since it does play a huge part in the story of UQ Holder, what with being a continuation in the same universe as the former.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Clear proof of Chisame being the correct ending :v:, though there was also every more or less impartial observer in later chapters pointing directly to her whenever the topic came up. However we do know how Negi must have died. Clearly stabbed by some girl one of these days for being a natural gigolo.

That page does remind me of one thing that has been a bit disappointing about UQ so far. There hasn't really been much variety in clothing yet, which is understandable given that most of the characters thus far have been men, but the fact that Akamatsu varied clothing a lot was one of the things I've always appreciated in his series. The suits are nice, but maybe it'll improve after we get out of introduction territory. I could go for some Edgeworth cravats.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

GhostStalker posted:

Konoka canonically got together with Setsuna.

It's worth noting that it just says that Setsuna and Konoka got married, but it's only implied that they got married to each other.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Namtab posted:

It's worth noting that it just says that Setsuna and Konoka got married, but it's only implied that they got married to each other.

Ha, fair enough, but with all the hints that Akamatsu dropped like metaphoric anvils, it's very hard to see anything but Konoka marrying Setsuna happening.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Why not both marry Negi? I jest but that would fulfil the "unexpected" aspect of who Negi chose.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
There's also the bad-fanfic option of course (i.e., three-way marriage). I mean, who's going to be insane enough to object?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

GhostStalker posted:

Ha, fair enough, but with all the hints that Akamatsu dropped like metaphoric anvils, it's very hard to see anything but Konoka marrying Setsuna happening.

I assumed he made it ambiguous in the epilogue thing to avoid committing himself to anything if he ever did finish it. But then Kuromaru being obviously the same race as Setsuna (which also now means she's an androgynous thing that can choose her gender) is almost certainly intended as a way to make it so Setsuna and Konoka can have descendants without having to piss off their fans by making them marry dudes instead offscreen.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Huh? Wasn't Setsuna just part bird? How does that relate to Kuromaru? It's not like only that species uses those sword techniques.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I thought the ambiguity on Konoka and Setsuna marrying was due to the publisher not wanting to outright say they were married due to same-sex marriage being illegal in Japan. I doubt Akamatsu would have wanted to avoid committing to that pairing.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

HellCopter posted:

Huh? Wasn't Setsuna just part bird? How does that relate to Kuromaru? It's not like only that species uses those sword techniques.

Look at page 11-12 of chapter 16. I forget if Setsuna ever explicitly named what she was like Kuromaru does, and I don't feel like dredging through Negima to be sure, but it shows Kuromaru with wings there.

Edit: Kuromaru calls herself a Yata no Karasu, and Karasu means crow iirc, so yeah probably the same.

Blhue fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 5, 2014

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think Setsuna was only ever stated to be a bird demon? I think those crow ones. She's a bit of an outcast due to her wings being white, which is unusual and a bad omen.

Setsuna's actually an albino, I believe. I remember it being mentioned that she wears colored contacts.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Setsuna's actually an albino, I believe. I remember it being mentioned that she wears colored contacts.

Yes, Eva brings it up during their match in the Mahora Martial Arts Tournament.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

Blhue posted:

Look at page 11-12 of chapter 16. I forget if Setsuna ever explicitly named what she was like Kuromaru does, and I don't feel like dredging through Negima to be sure, but it shows Kuromaru with wings there.

Edit: Kuromaru calls herself a Yata no Karasu, and Karasu means crow iirc, so yeah probably the same.

The yatagarasu is a three-legged crow from Japanese myth, and I'm pretty sure Setsuna claimed to be from the Tengu tribe, which is a different crow-related mythical creature.

I suspect the reason Japan has a few crow-related bits in its mythology is that the ones here are loving huge, and have beaks that look like they could murder you easily. They're intimidating motherfuckers.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Rogue 7 posted:

The yatagarasu is a three-legged crow from Japanese myth, and I'm pretty sure Setsuna claimed to be from the Tengu tribe, which is a different crow-related mythical creature.

I suspect the reason Japan has a few crow-related bits in its mythology is that the ones here are loving huge, and have beaks that look like they could murder you easily. They're intimidating motherfuckers.

Any chance I could get a size reference on that? Maybe a picture? That sounds legitimately fascinating to me.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

New chapter is up on crunchyroll. Fate does not beat around the bush and next chapter should be great. Touta will defend his not-mom's good name. Also I like the little detail of Touta sweating bullets at the end rather than looking completely unworried.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 11, 2014

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
That sleeve throwing Touta the sword, was that Karin? But yeah, I like where this is going.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
It probably isn't, but I'll laugh if the waitress is Tsukuyomi.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

GodFish posted:

It probably isn't, but I'll laugh if the waitress is Tsukuyomi.

I'd say that it is very plausible. Tsukuyomi worked for Fate a long time ago, is casually murderous, and of course uses a katana. In fact, I'm pretty sure that she was the only person who ever associated with Fate to use a katana. She was only ever a hired gun, so Fate going back to his rear end in a top hat ways means she would be perfectly willing to work for him again. Tsukuyomi wasn't entirely human so she would have aged but not as much as a human, and the hair fits (not that this means much in a b&w manga).

I kind of forgot that she existed, personally. We never did find out just what her deal was, provided she even had one aside from the obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yggdrasil325
Jul 24, 2011

So, uh, apparently the first volume's been out in English since March: Amazon

• Locked thread