Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

BEARS IN THE BARN posted:

I have a stern requirement of 4.0: It must have live action, and it also must have a shot of a theater audience.

That would be old and tired.

It should have EoE playing on a television screen, including the live action scenes, somewhere in Gendo's lab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Eva 4 should have a laptop-POV shot of 20-something nerd sitting in his pyjamas in bed in a dimly-lit bedroom.

e: wanking.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 3, 2014

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

It will not be complete without a room full of figurines of asuka, rei and mari.

Also a shot of the evangelion store.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

GimmickMan posted:

It will not be complete without a room full of figurines of asuka

I'm Tiffany Grant and I think this is a great idea! Do you think they'll need an actor for her, too?

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

Trailblazed my way through the manga and drat its impressive. I really like that certain scenes play out differently and some character motivation is elaborated on, and there's some pure badass moments.

Volume 13 spoiler below, personal favourite moment.
Choke on that bullet Gendo, you git.

Temascos fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 5, 2014

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Cardboard Box A posted:

Can't wait for American Eva to look something like this

*pics*

I musn't run away... oh

I would have no issues with this. Frankly my biggest worry for a live-action Eva is that it'll try to imitate the original 1:1 instead of doing its own thing and completely botch the execution because of how tied to Japanese culture a lot of the themes in Eva are.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

So that Transformers x Evangelion thing I posted a while ago has more information.

Although, the following is all you really need to see to understand:

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

AradoBalanga posted:

So that Transformers x Evangelion thing I posted a while ago has more information.

Holy loving poo poo

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So if I am reading that right the plot is that the goddamn ghost of Starscream possesses an Angel to create Angelscream. (ShitoScream, technically.)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

So if I am reading that right the plot is that the goddamn ghost of Starscream possesses an Angel to create Angelscream. (ShitoScream, technically.)

Not the first time that plot was used in Japanese Transformers media. :nms:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

AradoBalanga posted:

Ahahaah what the gently caress :psyduck:

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

AradoBalanga posted:

I'm in love with this, oh my God.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

AradoBalanga posted:

This is the best dumbest thing

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

AradoBalanga posted:

Kill it with fire. :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Kill it with fire. :colbert:

Fire does not appear to be working in that picture.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

AradoBalanga posted:

That....It's...

It's a thing, all right.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Question. When is it ever explained that Yui and Asuka's mom's souls are trapped in the Eva's? Or that Rei is a clone of Yui? I just marathoned the series with my dad and I refrained from mentioning that thinking the series blatantly said it at some point. Is it in EoE? We're watching that tomorrow.

His reaction to the Zeruel fight was amazing, by the way. "What the gently caress was that, next episode right now."

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Question. When is it ever explained that Yui and Asuka's mom's souls are trapped in the Eva's? Or that Rei is a clone of Yui? I just marathoned the series with my dad and I refrained from mentioning that thinking the series blatantly said it at some point. Is it in EoE? We're watching that tomorrow.

EoE confirms the souls thing, but in Yui's case at least it's heavily implied in the episode where Shinji gets absorbed into Unit-01 and they have to pull some tech that's "only been tested once before, and failed" to retrieve him.

(i.e. they tried to retrieve Yui but she didn't want to come back.)

I don't think anyone ever straight-up says "Rei is a clone of Yui" but she looks exactly alike and is unquestionably a clone of some kind. Good enough for government work! :geno:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I don't think anyone ever straight-up says "Rei is a clone of Yui" but she looks exactly alike and is unquestionably a clone of some kind. Good enough for government work! :geno:

Uh, excuse me, Rei's hair is blue. Completely different. :colbert:

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

EoE confirms the souls thing, but in Yui's case at least it's heavily implied in the episode where Shinji gets absorbed into Unit-01 and they have to pull some tech that's "only been tested once before, and failed" to retrieve him.

(i.e. they tried to retrieve Yui but she didn't want to come back.)

Alright, thanks. Yeah he got the part where Yui had a strange accident and where Evas contain souls, but I couldn't remember where those dots were connected. He was guessing there was a connection between Rei and Yui but I didn't want to spoil anything in case the series mentioned it earlier. His reaction to the last few episodes was fun, now he's pissed that he'll never hear "congratulations" without his mind echoing it 10 different times.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

His reaction to the Zeruel fight was amazing, by the way. "What the gently caress was that, next episode right now."

First episode of Eva I ever watched was episode 15, and I watched it with my dad. It's the one with Gendo and Shinji visiting Yui's "grave". That was awkward...

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Also implied in the giant zebra beachball Angel episode.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
The first episode of Eva my dad showed me was the second-last one. Yeah.

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!

AradoBalanga posted:

Starscream just looks so happy.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Did Bisse watch Rebuild yet?

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Did Bisse watch Rebuild yet?
My brain is still in the process of reforming to solid mass after melting to soup watching EoE. Give me a break!

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

Bisse posted:

My brain is still in the process of reforming to solid mass after melting to soup watching EoE. Give me a break!

Yeah let Eva soak in for a few months, maybe even a year then watch rebuild. Don't get burnt out on Eva brah.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I watched all of the series in one day(last Thanksgiving) and EoE and Rebuild very shortly after. It was some experience.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

AradoBalanga posted:

oh my god yes

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

WickedHate posted:

I watched all of the series in one day(last Thanksgiving) and EoE and Rebuild very shortly after. It was some experience.

I'm contemplating watching Rebuild now after finishing the series/EoE two days ago, but I'm still trying to figure out everything and I'm not sure if it's a great idea for me to watch Rebuild now.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mr E posted:

I'm contemplating watching Rebuild now after finishing the series/EoE two days ago, but I'm still trying to figure out everything and I'm not sure if it's a great idea for me to watch Rebuild now.

It might be confusing. The first Rebuild drops kind of a bombshell twist at the end that's meant to be a curveball to people who expected the series to be a direct adaption.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

WickedHate posted:

It might be confusing. The first Rebuild drops kind of a bombshell twist at the end that's meant to be a curveball to people who expected the series to be a direct adaption.

Not really a bombshell twist, more like an "oh haha, they did actually change it a bit, that's neat" moment. It's a good setup for the actual bombshell(s) they drop toward the end of 2.0 because it allows you to think that there are only minor changes, because why not mix things up a bit? right before putting Asuka in Unit 3 and letting Shinji Gurren-Lagann the world into ending itself.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

3 posted:

Not really a bombshell twist, more like an "oh haha, they did actually change it a bit, that's neat" moment.

It doesn't really affect the plot but when you've just seen the series and are absorbing all the already confusing and scattered stuff, it can throw a wrench in the mental processing in a "wait, but I thought" way.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I WONDER IF BISSE WATCHED REBUILD WHILE THE BOARDS WERE DOWN!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Robotnik Nudes posted:

I WONDER IF BISSE WATCHED REBUILD WHILE THE BOARDS WERE DOWN!

Bisse's post about rebuild brought down the board.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Rebuild 1.0 - 3.0 spoilers marked.

So I watched the rebuilds, and apart from removing my favorite shot of the series (the Goya image of Eva 01 eating the angel), I enjoyed the first two. But the direction of 3.33 just felt like the tone was off. Someone pointed out that Rebuild focuses more on guilt than loneliness, and maybe that's it. The highlight for me were the scenes in NERV with Shinji and Kaworu -- that felt like the series to me. But the time jump took the visuals to a less grounded, more Gundam place, especially with things like Wunder and the absence of Tokyo.

It was the quiet parts of the series that gave the robot fights weight, and that gave the series its personality, but the Third Impact removed the element of everyday life and the character of Tokyo -- which also made the stakes of the conflict really confusing. Like if pretty much all of humanity has been destroyed, then what are they fighting for? What, a handful of ship's worth of people? To populate a planet with a hosed up biosphere and dripping in metaphysical/god/alien/human gore?

Its why I can't give a poo poo about Doctor Who when you up the stakes to all of existence, or a planet or whatever, I don't relate or care about it. I can care to the suffering of people, not the universe. When Shinji is becoming a family with Misato and co, then that gives depth to his motivation, and makes the conflict significant. But Shinji bringing about the Third Impact and then his motivation is some vague insinuation that he can 'fix it', that's way less tangible and compelling.

I'm still keen for 4.0, to see where they take it, but I walked away mostly thinking I really wanna watched the series again :shrug:

It does look and sound amaaaazing though!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I still love the piano sequence.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I wish I could be a beautiful horse frolicking through endless plains.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I'll be blunt and admit I didn't "get" Eva. Well I got it insofar as I understood the characters and their various emotional hangups wee what the show was really about. But there was still a "plot" there and I definitely didn't get that. I tuned out halfway through EOE and don't regret it. That said apparently the movie explains everything...somehow.

Anyway what I'm getting at is I'm curious about one aspect of the story that maybe I misunderstood and others with more patience than me did comprehend. Were the Angels the bad guys? Why were they attacking humanity at all?

I'm mainly wondering about this because one of the parts I and most other people remember most vividly is Asuka's run-in with the Angel who raped her mind or whatever. From what I could gather, and this was a one-time viewing of the English dub, I didn't get the impression it was maliciously attacking her brain. What I mean is it was wholly different from say a Marvel villain who unleashes a psychic attack that fries your brain. My interpretation was more like the Angel was just examining Asuka's mind and trying to understand her but she had so much trauma and repressed stuff in there that the process of observation just happened to bring all of this awfulness to the forefront of her brain and cause her the mental agony we saw.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

So I'll be blunt and admit I didn't "get" Eva. Well I got it insofar as I understood the characters and their various emotional hangups wee what the show was really about. But there was still a "plot" there and I definitely didn't get that. I tuned out halfway through EOE and don't regret it. That said apparently the movie explains everything...somehow.

Anyway what I'm getting at is I'm curious about one aspect of the story that maybe I misunderstood and others with more patience than me did comprehend. Were the Angels the bad guys? Why were they attacking humanity at all?

I'm mainly wondering about this because one of the parts I and most other people remember most vividly is Asuka's run-in with the Angel who raped her mind or whatever. From what I could gather, and this was a one-time viewing of the English dub, I didn't get the impression it was maliciously attacking her brain. What I mean is it was wholly different from say a Marvel villain who unleashes a psychic attack that fries your brain. My interpretation was more like the Angel was just examining Asuka's mind and trying to understand her but she had so much trauma and repressed stuff in there that the process of observation just happened to bring all of this awfulness to the forefront of her brain and cause her the mental agony we saw.

The Angels were the bad guys in that them succeeding meant the end of humanity. They were effectively trying to do the same thing as everyone else and reach Adam to cause their own Third Impact. Humanity is an Angel too, remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
When you fight with your parents does that make them evil (bad guys)?