Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

duckmaster posted:

I thought 25k was overpriced but I don't know much about websites...

I don't know much about websites either apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

duckmaster posted:

It's currently making $650/month but yeh I realise it has potential, he has 65,000 unique visitors/month (this is all freely available). There's some folk who have set up http://www.cambodiaexpatsonline.com/ so there is competition but they seem like a bunch of clowns.

gently caress it I'm offering $7.5k and we can haggle from there. I'm sure he's had plenty of interest but finding someone in Cambodia who will actually put their money where their mouth is is another matter entirely.
The other big one there, I think, is Expat Advisory. It's a horrible site in every imaginable way, but it's such a small market and he's been working at it long enough that it has useful content and people actually do post useful poo poo on it. Technically it's a site for every country, but in reality I think since he's in Phnom Penh only the Cambodia forum gets any traction.

If you spent a few K hiring some guys to channel the content into things that actually provide value for people without all the hassle and generally making the site more UX friendly and advertiser friendly without making it too spammy I'm sure you'd see a rise in traffic and could charge more. Also, adopting the Coconuts model of translating all the wacky local stories would help. And go social. None of those guys have gently caress all in the way of social marketing.

EDIT: Two obvious problems that occur to me. The content on the "front page" and the forum is largely provided by KiR and his group of buddies, so if you pissed them off or they lost interest post-sale then you'd have significantly less content. They seem to get pissed off at everything. Second, he could just take them and start a new forum or something, heh. Plant a bug over at Garage to keep tabs on their plans :P

EDIT EDIT: gently caress this - for $5K in production and advertising you can start a combined social/web deal with a spunky marketing plan and if you work it 10-12 hours a day for 6 months I can pretty much guarantee you can own that space. The real issue is whether you have the time and dedication to stick with it.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jun 7, 2014

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Has this been posted here yet? http://m.smh.com.au/lifestyle/brazilian-man-undergoes-surgery-to-look-asian-20140602-zrv8n.html

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEmJ-VWPDM4

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Saved someone the trouble

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

ReindeerF posted:

EDIT EDIT: gently caress this - for $5K in production and advertising you can start a combined social/web deal with a spunky marketing plan

This sounds very interesting. Can you tell me what it actually means?!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

duckmaster posted:

This sounds very interesting. Can you tell me what it actually means?!
It's complex and too long a derail for the thread. Email me at reindeerf@outlook.com if you have a chance and we can trade contact info!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ReindeerF posted:

It's complex and too long a derail for the thread. Email me at reindeerf@outlook.com if you have a chance and we can trade contact info!

Me too homie.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Anyone currently in Malaysia? I'm headed to KL tomorrow and will be in the country until the 26th or something.

Right now I'm in a bar in Legian, Bali watching a bunch of fat, tattooed Aussies scream at a rugby game. I'm entertained.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Bali, particularly Kuta, is literally the worst place on Earth and I say this as a 28 year old Australian. It's cheaper to get there than any decent place and consequently the dregs of society coalesce there. The best thing that can be said in the bogans' defense is that most aren't outright paedophiles.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK
Been talking to ReindeerF on email and was about to send him one of my hilarious Cambodian stories but thought I might as well tell you guys here instead. I did this at a stand up comedy night a couple of months ago (which I sort of won, the compere was shagging the girl who should have come second so she won GRRRR), this is the entire routine.

quote:

Comedy is like a one night stand. It lasts three minutes, I never get asked back…. and sometimes people laugh.
Also, there’s often people staring at me, but maybe I should stop having sex on the half pipe in X Bar

So it’s a bit of a problem living in a small town like Siem Reap. You keep running into people you know, or have had odd altercations with… there’s one girl I can barely speak to, I just immediately think “Yeh, I’m the guy who couldn’t get it up and didn’t have any condoms anyway”

And where do you take someone on a first date round here? You can go out for dinner, sure, and go out and get hammered… then what? The landmine museum?

The other problem is that it’s very transient. People are always coming and going. A friend of mine has gone back to the UK and asked me to housesit for him. I said, “Sure, what do I have to do?”. He said “Just stay at mine and make yourself at home”. I said, “Ok”.
So I’ve had his dog put down.

To stay in touch with people at home and here, facebook is pretty good. But I’m getting a bit pissed off with facebook recently, I keep getting unfriended due to my absolute oval office of a personality….

So anyway, I want to tell you a story about when I first came to Cambodia. Before coming here I knew it was famous for….temples and all that… but also for shooting guns. Blowing up a cow, throwing a grenade into a pond, that sort of thing. So I was pretty keen on that but hadn’t really read up on how to do it.
Anyway, I got here and I was out and about, exploring the town, and the tuk tuk drivers are all saying “Temples?” as I go past them, but I was just like “I’ve been there…”
And then all of a sudden a guy shouts over to me and says “Hey man, you want boom boom?”
Of course, because I wanted to shoot guns, I put two and two together and thought, boom boom? Must be shooting! So I said, “Yeh, I want boom boom!”
He says “Yeh, nice Cambodia boom boom?”
I thought I’d prefer an American M16 or a magnum or something, but Cambodia boom boom must be an AK 47 and that would be good enough, so I said “Yeh, Cambodia boom boom. How much does it cost?”
He said “How long you want, one hour?”
I thought one hour shooting was a bit excessive, so I said “Can I just shoot maybe 20 or 30 times?”
He looked a bit confused by this, so I confirmed it by saying, “I mean that should be over in seconds, maybe two minutes?” which confused him even more.
He said “Err.. you do boom boom as many times as you want”
I was pretty satisfied with that, so I said “Ok cool! Can I do boom boom by myself?”
“Errr.. you need girl to do boom boom”
I said “I don’t really want to do boom boom with a girl. Could I not do it by myself, or you could do it with me?”
“Errr, I not do boom boom with you. You want do boom boom with boy?”
“Can I not just do boom boom myself??”
“Err, you don’t need to pay to do boom boom yourself…”
I thought that was a bit too good to be true, but maybe it was some sort of promotion, so I finaly got into the tuk tuk and we drove off…
So we get to the boom boom place, which didn’t look like what I imagined a firing range to look like, and the tuk tuk driver took me in. Now I sort of expected this sort of thing to be run by soldiers or the police or something, and was a bit surprised it was run by young women in their underwear. But anyway, I thought I should get my questions out of the way, having never fired a gun before, so I asked,
“So is boom boom hard? I’ve never done it before”
One of the ladies said “You never do boom boom before?” in a very surprised tone.
I said, “No, in my country boom boom is illegal!”
“Illegal?!” they said
“Yes, you can do it but you have to ask the police and then go to a club and do it with other men, and sometimes some women”
They were looking increasingly surprised by all this, but I was enjoying this little cultural exchange
“Even our olympic boom boom team can’t train in Britain, so they go to Switzerland every year for three months of non stop boom boom!”
“You never do boom boom before? Its ok, I show you” one girl said, and took my hand and took me into a room.
Weirdly she took her clothes off. I assumed this was to stop bullet residue or gunpowder or something getting on your clothes, and I didn’t want to embarass myself, so I took my clothes off too.
“Is it safe?” I said
She said “Yes, all safe, use protection”
I was pretty happy with this, although couldn’t see any earplugs or safety goggles. Or any guns, for that matter.
“Ok, cool. Can I use more than one gun?”
“What? How many guns you have?”
“I don’t know, how many guns do you have”
“I not have gun, you have gun”
“Oh… (ok, I though someone else would bring me the gun or something) Can you show me how to hold it?”
“You not know how to hold it?”
“No. And what do I aim at? Is there a target?”
“No target, just put it where it makes you happy”
“Oh, ok. Is it true I can do boom boom with a chicken here?”
“No chicken. You do boom boom now”
But we never got round to boom boom. This girl clearly fancied me so much that she grabbed my penis, which was erect because I was thinking about GUNS. Half an hour later and she showed me out, and just shook her head and frowned as I kept saying “But I want boom boom! When do I get to boom boom! I want to boom boom a chicken!”

The main story is based on a true story but obviously it didn't get that far. No, really.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

mintskoal posted:

Anyone currently in Malaysia? I'm headed to KL tomorrow and will be in the country until the 26th or something.

Right now I'm in a bar in Legian, Bali watching a bunch of fat, tattooed Aussies scream at a rugby game. I'm entertained.

I'm based in KL, you will find the local 'colour' nowhere near the level of Bali and beer can be a bit pricey. Be warned I'm a terrible tourist for places so recommendation wise I'm kind of stuck on food things and bars. Let me know where you're going to be staying around or if you want to meet up or anything.

Also duckmaster: I would have been disappointed if that story wasn't based on real life.

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.
Another charge for a failed withdrawal bringing my total to $400 lost. :doh: Got a crumpled rejection slip this time but not too hopeful.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Do you bank with a Russian bank or something? Heh. This is like pretty unheard of to happen even once, let alone twice.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

MrNemo posted:

I'm based in KL, you will find the local 'colour' nowhere near the level of Bali and beer can be a bit pricey. Be warned I'm a terrible tourist for places so recommendation wise I'm kind of stuck on food things and bars. Let me know where you're going to be staying around or if you want to meet up or anything.

Also duckmaster: I would have been disappointed if that story wasn't based on real life.

I'm in KL right now actually, staying at Reggae Mansion near Chinatown. Definitely different than Indonesia but in a good way. I'm always down for a beer so just shoot me a PM if you want to meet up. I'll be here at least 2 more days, maybe 3.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK

It takes a lot for something on facebook to get a giggle out of me but that one managed it. Especially as it was on quite a professional schools facebook nestled amongst loads of interesting images showing how to improve your English.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Apparently there's a passage in the Philippine traffic rules that says that during certain hours, you can go through red lights if you see no traffic on opposing lanes after like ten seconds or something :shrug:

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.

ReindeerF posted:

Do you bank with a Russian bank or something? Heh. This is like pretty unheard of to happen even once, let alone twice.

TD Canada, I'll just chalk it up to unnatural powers that refused to let me stay under budget.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

I'm in KL airport for 2 more hours... Have to say Changi is still hands down better than this klia2 job.

Pub street is fun and all - really nice ambience in the roof bars - but by the afternoon of day 2 in Siem Reap I was casting around for G-rated things to do with the gf and ended up playing a pretty hungover round at Angkor Watt Putt. She was also super distressed by an attempted baby milk scam and pretty happy to get back on the plane to BKK with a phone full of selfies.

I'd probably go again if I was still poor and single.

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?

I could have used this reminder yesterday.

Learned an important lesson though - if you're going to drive passed police when they try to stop you, make sure the way ahead is clear and you don't get stuck in traffic 50 metres down the road. :saddowns:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Maybe if you toned it down from that sporty Goddamn car you've got!

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?
Nah, it's like the only one in Phnom Penh dude! The police guy said he would recognise it from now on though. :(

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

The first time I went to Thailand people told me not to drive in Thailand, and I guess this is true for Bangkok because gently caress that traffic but everywhere else I've been ranges from tolerable to quite good. I wish they'd upgrade the single lane road that goes west from Saraburi though.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
When I ride out to Saraburi I always take the backroads (khlong road this, khlong road that) coming out of Future Park Rangsit because of that. Traffic is hosed on the main road (I think it's Phaholyothin all the way) and even with the backroads being slower at least it's not as frantic - and you get to stop at neat little local shops and restaurants.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 9, 2014

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

What are the current lodging recommendations for Phnom Penh and Siem Reap? Figure a max budget of around $50usd/night.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I think you can get around $50 a night at The Plantation in Phnom Penh, which is probably in the range of what you're looking for if I guess right. There are plenty of cheaper options too, of course. Siem Reap I'm not as sure about. I always stay at Velkommen in either place, but it's probably not what you're looking for, heh.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

ReindeerF posted:

I think you can get around $50 a night at The Plantation in Phnom Penh, which is probably in the range of what you're looking for if I guess right. There are plenty of cheaper options too, of course. Siem Reap I'm not as sure about. I always stay at Velkommen in either place, but it's probably not what you're looking for, heh.
Thanks!

I actually just got a recommendation for the Teahouse from a friend who lives in Phnom Penh, it's only $38/night and looks perfect, very urban boutique style which is what I prefer.

Velkommen might actually be perfect for Siem Reap - I don't mind guesthouses, but my wife always needs convincing..

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yo, makes sense, yeah - it's a sister property of The Plantation, which is very well run, so I assume it is as well. Good to know about. It's going to put you a bit closer to BKK and a bit further from Riverside, but in such a small town it's not a huge distinction, heh.

Personal recommendation to fellow American - ribs at Lone Star (street 23, tell motodop "Cyclo Bar" then look for the Lone Star Saloon sign). If you're around July 4th they usually have a chili cookoff or something going on, with extra, excellent food available. Former chili cookoff judge ahoy! Let me tell you, no one outside of Texas should be allowed to cook chili, heh.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jun 9, 2014

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Thanks! Unfortunately not going until mid-July so no chili action for me :(

But good American BBQ for reasonable prices (as opposed to insane SG prices) sounds awesome.

I had a Mexican friend recommend Alma Cafe to me, too - it's apparently one of the best Mexican restaurants in SE Asia:

https://www.facebook.com/almacambodia

Soy Division fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jun 9, 2014

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I keep hearing good things about it, yeah. It opened just after I was going there a lot and I missed it on my bachelor party trip, but I'm interested to hear how it goes. SITREP ALMA CAFE PLZ THX. Planning a trip over a bit later this year!

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?

Gail Wynand posted:

I actually just got a recommendation for the Teahouse from a friend who lives in Phnom Penh, it's only $38/night and looks perfect, very urban boutique style which is what I prefer.

Teahouse actually looks really nice for that price. My go-to place for when family/friends visit is Villa Langka, but it's a bit pricier. There's loads of those little boutique places around that area though if your first choice is booked up or whatever. I'm actually just heading out of the country mid-July else I'd offer to grab a beer.

ReindeerF posted:

I keep hearing good things about it, yeah. It opened just after I was going there a lot and I missed it on my bachelor party trip, but I'm interested to hear how it goes. SITREP ALMA CAFE PLZ THX. Planning a trip over a bit later this year!

I think Zeppelin guy misses you dude... hard to tell though. Hey I should be in your town for a few days too in September.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Tytan posted:

I think Zeppelin guy misses you dude... hard to tell though.
He's got a little diary he scribbles in that has like 180 days now of, "No one has asked me to play Mother. My heart is breaking."

Tytan posted:

Hey I should be in your town for a few days too in September.
Look us up! I'm good for a beer or dinner and even non-consumptive activities anytime you're around :)

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?
No joke, last time I was in there I got a "see ya later" and an attempt at a smile (more of a grimace really) as I was leaving. It made my goddam night.

And yeah definitely will do. Be warned, I will be with another Brit, so shirt-ripping may occur some point in the evening.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
FROM FOOKIN' ENGLAND M8!@#

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK

Gail Wynand posted:

What are the current lodging recommendations for Phnom Penh and Siem Reap? Figure a max budget of around $50usd/night.

I don't really know the Plantation but after a glance on their website you might try River Garden in SR. It's far away enough from town to be quiet but also on the way to the temples (I'm assuming you want to see them). The website says you'll only get a standard, cottage or bungalow at your budget but drop them an email or facebook and you might wangle a deluxe. They're extremely proactive on the online front so I expect they'd actually reply, unlike some places where you can expect a response some time in early October.

I think the pool is salt water if that's a concern.

edit: If you want something like the Teahouse try Soria Moria. Restaurant, roof top bar, small pool, jacuzzi, bit more central than River Garden. Not much in the immediate area but everythings so concentrated in SR so just get a 5 minute tuk-tuk to the centre for $2 max.

duckmaster fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jun 9, 2014

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Heavens me, just look at the time

So I wasn't sure whether to post this in E/N or here, but I've been mulling it over for at least five minutes. My boyfriend came home dead drunk and passed out on the floor for a couple hours, then just stood up and walked naked out of the room, ignoring all shouts like a good sleepwalker.

I figure you guys have more experience with this. What exactly should I be doing?

v Not even gonna answer that. Seriously, dude.

Chair Huxtable fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 9, 2014

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I would smell his dick, just to be sure.

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007
I would smell his dick, just to be sure.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Chair Huxtable posted:

So I wasn't sure whether to post this in E/N or here, but I've been mulling it over for at least five minutes. My boyfriend came home dead drunk and passed out on the floor for a couple hours, then just stood up and walked naked out of the room, ignoring all shouts like a good sleepwalker.

I figure you guys have more experience with this. What exactly should I be doing?

v Not even gonna answer that. Seriously, dude.
This is going to sound like sarcasm, but I'm serious and I'm the oldest regional idiot responding - ignore it until tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Google bought WordLens so now it's free (by which I'm sure I mean it tracks you and reports your ever action to the Google shits). That's that app where you take a picture of a sign or menu with your phone and then the words turn into English. If your phone was purchased in the UK there's a toggle to switch on a regionalization feature where possibly factual sentences are preceded by Me missus says.