Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Gail Wynand posted:

What are the current lodging recommendations for Phnom Penh and Siem Reap? Figure a max budget of around $50usd/night.

$50 is pretty swank for Cambodia. I think I spent maybe $20 at most of the 4-star places I stayed there. Personally, I would return to Angkor Spirit Palace in Siem Reap in a heartbeat. It's a few minutes tuktuk out of market areas, but it's a nice trip and the hotel provides drivers. They have a lovely swimming pool and the room they gave me was hilariously huge. The whole building is stone and there are carved nagas all over.

It was also the same price as the shithole I started off in that was about a two minute stagger from the nightmarket. I'll put up with a lot from hotels in SEA as long as there's a decent lock on the door, but the stench of sewage is not one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Chair Huxtable posted:

So I wasn't sure whether to post this in E/N or here, but I've been mulling it over for at least five minutes. My boyfriend came home dead drunk and passed out on the floor for a couple hours, then just stood up and walked naked out of the room, ignoring all shouts like a good sleepwalker.

I figure you guys have more experience with this. What exactly should I be doing?

v Not even gonna answer that. Seriously, dude.

Obviously it's too late for this now (hope he didn't die!) but it's a myth that waking a sleepwalker is dangerous. The only dangerous thing about it is that when you shout at them they might dream that the person standing there shouting is someone else and if they don't like that person in the dream they'll try to hit them. Shout, slap and stay back.

Having said that, Reindeer was right - just ignore it till the morning, he'll probably make himself a nice little den under the kitchen table. For future reference now you know you've got a sleepwalker on your hands make sure you lock the door to your balcony (assuming you have one). Sleepwalkers don't have any problems with opening doors but are notoriously useless at opening locks; my flatmates have caught me trying to drunkenly/sleepwalkingly open a simple bolt lock so I could "go outside for a smoke" despite the fact we smoke in the entire apartment.

p.s. there is yet another girl lying next to me, I'm such a slut.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
How dare you post here and not tell us that you're now the owner of Khmer440.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK

Sheep-Goats posted:

How dare you post here and not tell us that you're now the owner of Khmer440.

Too expensive :(

I offered 7k, he wanted 25k. He'll come running back though, and I'll be all like "So, about that 5k?" :)

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Heavens me, just look at the time

He survived just fine, but I rather wish he had walked off the balcony.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK
True love, Asian style.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

duckmaster posted:

Reminds me of my time in Vietnam, godspeed you hunk!

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK

Senso posted:

Reminds me of my time in Vietnam, godspeed you hunk!

I walked her out to the street to get a tuk tuk and she was very impressed by my Khmer. Which was "BONG! Tuk tuk?"

Backpackers :rolleyes:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

duckmaster posted:

Do you make them wear Santa hats?

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK
Obviously, it's not like I can sell them in June is it?!

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Ringo R posted:

How much do foreign diving instructors make in Thailand?

Depends on a whole bunch of stuff, but anywhere from 20000 baht per month to 200000 baht per month, depending on the structure of their pyramid scheme dive school. It's mostly commission based so if they're in the water every day teaching open water then advanced for weeks on end they can make big money, but if they're lazy and work a few days a teaching four dudes open water they might make twenty grand. Course directors and so on make real world income (more than I pay myself running my own business here in Australia).

So yeah, there's quite a diverse range. Dive masters usually make gently caress all and videographers about 110% of gently caress all, depending on how much they sell.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Basically, if you meet a backpacker wearing a Santa hat out of season it's the mark of duckmaster. Please give her directions to the nearest clinic.

Chair Huxtable posted:

He survived just fine, but I rather wish he had walked off the balcony.
The advantage of a cross-cultural relationship here is that now you're not allowed to bring it up and he won't mention it either and everyone just pretends it didn't happen! Whee!

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jun 10, 2014

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Face saving, gotta love it.

While we're still somewhat on the subject of Cambodia, is it true that Cambodian ATMs don't accept 6-digit PINs? Wikivoyage seems to think so.

Just want to know whether I need to bring the American ATM card along.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Interesting - I've never heard of a six-digit PIN. We may have hit the point at which I am completely detached from our culture, heh. If you can't get a definitive answer here, I'd register a sock puppet and ask at K440. Probably have to endure some stupid guff from the locals, but might also get ans answer.

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?
I'm almost certain Acleda accounts have a 6 digit PIN, so their ATMs will work. Pretty sure ANZ and most others allow you to enter more than 4 digits too. I'll have a check next time I'm at one.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

ReindeerF posted:

Interesting - I've never heard of a six-digit PIN. We may have hit the point at which I am completely detached from our culture, heh. If you can't get a definitive answer here, I'd register a sock puppet and ask at K440. Probably have to endure some stupid guff from the locals, but might also get ans answer.
Singaporean ATM cards have 6-digit PINs, as do HK cards I believe.

No big deal if they don't accept SG cards, I'll just use my good old 4-digit PIN American ATM card.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Taiwan and Korea are also 6-digit to the best of my recollection.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Gail Wynand posted:

Singaporean ATM cards have 6-digit PINs, as do HK cards I believe.

No big deal if they don't accept SG cards, I'll just use my good old 4-digit PIN American ATM card.
Oh, so it's some futuristic Blade Runner poo poo. That explains it.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

ReindeerF posted:

Oh, so it's some futuristic Blade Runner poo poo. That explains it.

No, I've got the same thing on my card here in Manila, so that can't be it.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
Vietnam also has 6-digit PINs (at least the HSBC I was with). Seems like a common thing in Asia then.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
If I don't hang out with Duckmaster by New Years I will consider it my greatest failure in Asia.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK
We need to have some sort of regional goonmeet where we all sit around awkwardly drinking Chang and making very vague references to how many cigarettes we're posting home in very well packed Fedex boxes to supplement our incomes. Not that I do that, oh no. That's my main source of income

It'll be the one you least expect who goes home with the hooker.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Reindeerf is actually a pimp.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Which one of you is a prostitute is what I want to know

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
Well I don't need to do it anymore because I've got enough cougars sending me money every month but DON'T JUDGE ME OK.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Oops.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

lets not bring singapore into this we are all very cultured people

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
You should come down to Bangkok's famed gay nightlife district and check out the very cultured Singaporean gay dudes who cruise it, because, man, they're hilarious. To a one, they're completely rocked up with crew cuts and they dress like blind people set loose in a sporting good store. My gay Thai friends all make fun of them.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

ReindeerF posted:

You should come down to Bangkok's famed gay nightlife district and check out the very cultured Singaporean gay dudes who cruise it, because, man, they're hilarious. To a one, they're completely rocked up with crew cuts and they dress like blind people set loose in a sporting good store. My gay Thai friends all make fun of them.
I don't need to go that far, they all work out at my gym.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK

kru posted:

lets not bring singapore into this we are all very cultured people

lol there is more culture in a yoghurt than this thread

and I should know about culture, I've been to Koh Samui.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

I was in a lesbian bar in Singapore once where the barmaid was asking us 'what is your favorite colour' for personalised cocktails. Each and every one of them tasted like Listerene. Every single one.

Also Gail, you free this Friday? We still havent met up and I'm sorry about that :)

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

kru posted:

I was in a lesbian bar in Singapore once where the barmaid was asking us 'what is your favorite colour' for personalised cocktails. Each and every one of them tasted like Listerene. Every single one.

Also Gail, you free this Friday? We still havent met up and I'm sorry about that :)
On that note my favorite lesbian karaoke bar just closed :(

(Ok, admittedly it was the only lesbian karaoke bar I know of.)

Plans on Friday are up in the air..I may be meeting up with some friends for Mexico's World Cup match that night. But I should be available earlier on regardless.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I met some Singapore goons in Taipei once. They really wanted to get drunk.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Atlas Hugged posted:

I met some Singapore goons in Taipei once. They really wanted to get drunk.

It was me fyi

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I had to duck out early. Did you accomplish your mission? Also, that bar moved and is now super classy. It depresses me.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Atlas Hugged posted:

I had to duck out early. Did you accomplish your mission? Also, that bar moved and is now super classy. It depresses me.

We ended up having 3 bottles of jack so yes. Roxy99 was awesome and now I am sad.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

kru posted:

Roxy99 was awesome and now I am sad.

Oh hey I went there a few times when I briefly lived in Taipei. Best of the bunch that I ran into.

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam
Finnair has a sale for Helsinki - Bangkok - Helsinki 599 euros.

Oh poo poo. Here we go again. :woop:

Just need to decide dates. How is October in Thailand? This time i'll travel alone and pick a nice island to stay in for at least four weeks and a week in Bangkok.

Nice bungalow, hammock and a nice ocean view is what im after. Maybe some snorkeling and a lot of swimming. I'm thinking Koh Tao but im open for suggestions. Only been in one Thai island and it was Koh Lanta.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Barfolemew posted:

Finnair has a sale for Helsinki - Bangkok - Helsinki 599 euros.

Oh poo poo. Here we go again. :woop:

Just need to decide dates. How is October in Thailand? This time i'll travel alone and pick a nice island to stay in for at least four weeks and a week in Bangkok.

Nice bungalow, hammock and a nice ocean view is what im after. Maybe some snorkeling and a lot of swimming. I'm thinking Koh Tao but im open for suggestions. Only been in one Thai island and it was Koh Lanta.
The inside gossip is Koh Turatao for Thailand's latest Final Paradise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Koh Mak and a few smaller islands nearby are cool too, but getting there is a pain.