Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hilbert Spaceship
Mar 15, 2007

If I was dyslexic I'd even hate dog too.
nah theyre good, you gotta make them with mayonnaise though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

Crust First posted:

Bitcoin-7.11 posted:
Doritos Nacho Cheese Tortilla Chips - Party Size
0.00658942 BTC

Magrov posted:

Doritos Nacho Cheese Tortilla Chips - Party Size
0.00658979 BTC

The price increased 0,01% in 15 minutes.

Doritos Update: It currently costs 0.00716542 BTC. It's like the weimar republic, but with bitcoin.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

HAPPENING INTENSIFIES

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

double sulk posted:

HAPPENING INTENSIFIES

oh please dear god

edit: actually it would be best if it breaks 51%, nothing happens, and bitcoiners eventually become used to the idea that one mining pool controls the economy

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

double sulk posted:

HAPPENING INTENSIFIES

so that pie chart gets posted, but from what i understand it's not ACTUALLY the hashrate of the network, but rather a "best guess" based on how many blocks have been mined in the last 24 hours

so that 49% might be real, or it might be bullshit

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

everyone post your mayonnaise mining setup.

e: what if ghash.io does a 51% attack to ensure the FBI seized coins can never be spent, and save bitcoin?

Cantorsdust posted:

oh please dear god

edit: actually it would be best if it breaks 51%, nothing happens, and bitcoiners eventually become used to the idea that one mining pool controls the economy

probably their biggest fear, actually. they'll lose a big selling point of the network, but at this point most are too far in now ideologically to cash out, and just argue that they trust ghash.io more than the bankster fed, and say that if anyone cares to fix it, they can just build a better pool. do you think they can be libertarians for long without learning to rationalize unlikable corporate behavior as actually in everyone's best interest?

TVarmy fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jun 13, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Post more pictures of my ghash

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
aww the ask/tell thread got gassed

he never answered any questions:smith:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

TVarmy posted:

everyone post your mayonnaise mining setup.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

i'm the cursor

also discus fish

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

this is good for bitcoin because

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

TheItalianBookLicker

Oh come on, nobody got this one?

TheItalianLitLicker

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
Nice!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

so at this point if they wanted to they could lock out all the other miners right?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

ghash's mining power will just grow since no one wants to be on the <49% if poo poo goes down.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

its me im the one who edited the source for the page to draw the chart different and uploaded a still to /r/bitcoin

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

I'm planning on accepting bitcoin on my website. My question for you all is: Can I price items in Bitcoin (i.e. 0.5 BTC) and make it so the dollar value fluctuates instead of the BTC price? Does Bitpay offer this? (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 11 minutes ago by milkfrog

So if 0.5 bitcoins = $300, then the user could either pay me $300 cash, or 0.5 BTC. If the price of 0.5 BTC drops to $275, then the user could buy my item for $275 cash.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

Boxturret posted:

so at this point if they wanted to they could lock out all the other miners right?

in theory they could but really if they started exercising control they would probably lose a lot of miners who have just been like "who gives a heck, they're not doing anything wrong!" probably safer to wait until they get like 70% or something and are the most trusted name in bitcoin.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

again, i faked that image, it was me.

quote:

[–]nuibox -1 points 5 minutes ago

Time to fix this with a hard fork.

[–]Aahzmundus 1 point 5 minutes ago

To what effect, what code change would you implement?

[–]nuibox 1 point just now

Scrypt based PoW
PoS
X11

None of this is permanent. I don't know how to fix it permanently, but we need to demonstrate to the minors that the owners of the coins have the final consensus.

Don't tell me that the marshalls selling 30k coins is hurting the price. This is a ghash-crash.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

i'm the bitcoin minor

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

quote:

What character should fight against Satoshi Nakamoto in Epic Rap Battles of History (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 5 minutes ago * by efxco

Let's stop for a minute with a serious topics and discussion, and whether you like erb or not, I'm just offering to have some fun with some creative ways of promoting Bitcoin

You know, epic rap battles are being watched by hundreds of millions per video now. I believe it would be way too awesome if Satoshi Nakamoto could appear in the show, because the format and the scope of the Epic Rap Battles is exactly such meaningfully historically right represented raps.

My offer is opposing Satoshi Nakamoto with a character from Matrix: an Agent Smith.

The show itself - are offering its viewers to suggest the heroes of the next battle, I am asking for your help to up vote my comment in the comment section of their latest video http://youtu.be/56R3hU-fWZY you can find my comment which says "Satoshi Nakamoto vs Agent Smith" and click like button under comment so that Nice Peter and Epic Lloyd could see our suggestion for the next rap battle!

If you think that my suggestion of Agent Smith to be versus Satoshi Nakamoto isn't the best for the next battle, then you can comment here with a suggestion for other character, maybe Bitcoin crowd will come and upvote with better idea :)

And I ask to help with upvoting my YouTube comment anyway don't matter what character you'll choose later, because main thing is gathering as much significant comments mentioning Satoshi Nakamoto as possible!

This is exactly the type of task where spamming helps :D So don't hesitate to use Satoshi's name under comments of their videos too. I'm personally this week gonna be attacking them with upvoted comments to promote them with suggestion of Satoshi Nakamoto as a character. Thanks to everyone

im the decision to have satoshi nakamoto debate with a fictional character who operates within a virtual reality simulation and doesn't really have much say in US monetary policy. and i also apparently want to spread the good news about satoshi.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

TVarmy posted:

again, i faked that image, it was me.

i only realized after rushing to post here but it wasn't legit. but r/bitcoiners seem to be treating it as such anyway. they are still at 49%, and are believed to also run a portion of "unknown" at 19%. Ghash effectively runs 51+% already

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

:gizz:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Robawesome posted:

i only realized after rushing to post here but it wasn't legit. but r/bitcoiners seem to be treating it as such anyway. they are still at 49%, and are believed to also run a portion of "unknown" at 19%. Ghash effectively runs 51+% already

the important part here is that discus fish is the name of a bitcoin mining pool

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

quote:

Please tell my sister that it's OK.. (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 8 hours ago * by tnap4

My little sister is quite distraught that she thought her nerves royally messed her up despite perfecting the slides, staying on topic, even wearing a Bitcoin shirt in class, rehearsing everything. Then her nerves got the best of her and just kept shaking and fumbling the whole time.

The project was to pick a subject and prove why it should be part of history

Literally everyone in her class didn't know what Bitcoin was. When she presented just 3 weeks ago, the value was only at $477. The very next day it went up 500. Just to cheer her up, I told her somehow she may have had an impact on the rise in value but she just flatout tells I'm crazy.

What she wore / Screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/UAmZ6

The presentation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psjhdm3sF4s

The slides: http://prezi.com/lpqqeaq9ykzk/bitcoin-in-pop-culture/

She didn't want to keep the YouTube clip public but I said she's still very young, people will understand so let's see what they could advise you, good or bad, just take them all.

What do you guys think? Was it really that horrible?

She said she'll be pushing the school to accept Bitcoin in her senior year next fall. Thank you for your time.

Everyone in her class got so excited though and kept asking her about it afterwards. I thought she made them laugh a couple times. I'm going to ask her if anyone had bought BTC so far but I'm sure they did.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/27zdxk/please_tell_my_sister_that_its_ok/

[–]ummhaha 3 points 8 hours ago

A few tips

Next time present without notecards. Its unprofessional. Just memorize what youre going to say. Itll take longer to prepare but the fluidity you get is worth the effort.

Practice in front of friends. Practice in an empty room. That will get rid of the stammering. Reading off cards will do that to you.

Slides were good, but try to spend at least 1 min on each one. I can see you spent a lot of effort on them but imo a great presentation needs great delivery. For each minute of my presentation, I rehearse at least 20 times as long. I spent 10 hours rehearsing my last 30 minute talk to get the phrasing and timing just right. Good luck on your next presentation.

[–]tnap4[S] 1 point 8 hours ago

I'll tell her that

[–]sve9mark 1 point 6 minutes ago

Great advice! 350 bits /u/changetip verify

[–]changetip 2 points 6 minutes ago

The Bitcoin tip for 350 bits ($0.20) has been collected by ummhaha.

What's this?

[–]MakeTotalDestr0i 1 point 14 minutes ago

how old is your sister

[–]biT-Rich -3 points 8 hours ago

Wow from what I see she is cute as well ;)

[–]Bitcoin-CEO 2 points 6 hours ago

Why don't you have a seat ...

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Nope, this won't be misinterpreted at all!

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

i accept the thai baht much in the same way i accept furries and otherkins. i may think it's kind of weird, but i wont judge people for liking it. :shobon:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
why does it matter what she was wearing

haha j/k this guy knows his audience

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

the last one was fake i guess? but ITS HAPPENING

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

you beat me but im posting anyway

happening.gif

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

that's not 51 stop spreading fud.

besides, ghash.io still need a supermajority to stop any filibusters.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

the numbers don't lie, and they spell disaster for bitcoin at us federal bureau of investigation auction.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

i'm the very slightly open mouths

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Boxturret posted:

the important part here is that discus fish is the name of a bitcoin mining pool

what kind of fish do you want to discus?

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

how much longer until bitcoiners say that it's important to support ghash.io to prevent another, more corrupt pool from dominating 51% of the blockchain instead?

peak lol would be if ghash.io ended up rewriting the protocol without the core devs as they saw fit and started offering chargebacks to "promote faster adoption by nervous consumers."

Cantorsdust posted:

what kind of fish do you want to discus?

TVarmy fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 13, 2014

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Boxturret posted:

i'm the bitcoin minor

text m - wait no

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

TVarmy posted:

how much longer until bitcoiners say that it's important to support ghash.io to prevent another, more corrupt pool from dominating 51% of the blockchain instead?

they're already just embracing it and acting like it makes no difference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

someone unironically included the second image in an article praising roger ver.

TVarmy fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jun 13, 2014

• Locked thread