Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

So I'm still stuck working like a fiend for the next two months or so down here in JB, Malaysia, but once that has finished I'm definitely looking to spend a few months touring SE Asia - is it a wise/viable idea to try to secure my own form of transport (car/motorbike) for the duration of the trip around the 'mainland'? I was thinking of trying to do a loop up through peninsular MY, then through Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, and Cambodia before heading back down and across to Indonesia? The few spare weekends that I've had off and have been able to pop over to Malaysian Borneo it's been incredibly cheap renting things and the extra convenience of being able to drive off into national parks or where have you was fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007

FelixReynolds posted:

So I'm still stuck working like a fiend for the next two months or so down here in JB, Malaysia, but once that has finished I'm definitely looking to spend a few months touring SE Asia - is it a wise/viable idea to try to secure my own form of transport (car/motorbike) for the duration of the trip around the 'mainland'? I was thinking of trying to do a loop up through peninsular MY, then through Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, and Cambodia before heading back down and across to Indonesia? The few spare weekends that I've had off and have been able to pop over to Malaysian Borneo it's been incredibly cheap renting things and the extra convenience of being able to drive off into national parks or where have you was fantastic.

Depends if you like driving/riding for 8 hours at a time. It's a very long way between the go-to destinations. I've been doing the same route and most overland trips have been over 8 hours for me. The alternative is just rent a bike when you need it. In Thailand it's 150-200baht per day for a scooter, 50baht a day for gas. Haven't rented one in Laos yet cos it's loving expensive - we got quoted 150-170,000kip in Luang Prabang. It costed us less for 3 to tuk tuk than to hire 1 scooter. Malaysian public transport was good and cheap enough that I didn't need to rent my own transport.

It would be pretty awesome being able to go anywhere you like and stopping whenever you like though.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

Finch! posted:

Depends on a whole bunch of stuff, but anywhere from 20000 baht per month to 200000 baht per month, depending on the structure of their pyramid scheme dive school. It's mostly commission based so if they're in the water every day teaching open water then advanced for weeks on end they can make big money, but if they're lazy and work a few days a teaching four dudes open water they might make twenty grand. Course directors and so on make real world income (more than I pay myself running my own business here in Australia).

So yeah, there's quite a diverse range. Dive masters usually make gently caress all and videographers about 110% of gently caress all, depending on how much they sell.

Cool. Met a guy who says he's been doing it for 15 years which I thought was pretty impressive. Didn't want to ask how much he made though.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
How hard would it be to convince a Bangkok goon to drink beer and play Battletech?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Where does one play Battletech?

EDIT: Followup, does asking this make me an old?

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 12, 2014

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

FelixReynolds posted:

Not many people do this because of the initial expense / hassle of buying a bike and some saddlebags, but you'll definitely get to see things that most people don't and have a different sort of exposure to the place. It's well worth it if that's the sort of traveling you like -- plus at any point in the future you'll be able to fly back and do the busses between the usual destinations thing whereas the buying a bike deal will be harder to reach.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
Guys I just got offered a job as a comedian :iamafag:

The pay is "free beer" but totally a job

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

ReindeerF posted:

Where does one play Battletech?

EDIT: Followup, does asking this make me an old?

At a kitchen table. I have a stupid number of tiny robots. Alternately, there's also apparently a game store near Udom Suk with tables.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

I'm not sure if I'm willing to play Battletech, but I am willing to make snide commentary while drinking beer and watching others play.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I tried to find some Magic events but failed last time I was there. :/ Most places listed online are out of date.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Atlas Hugged posted:

How hard would it be to convince a Bangkok goon to drink beer and play Battletech?

Assuming this is still an open offer and Saturday is a possibility, the spouse and I are tentatively interested (gotta make sure no conflicts with other plans). We're in town through Saturday, staying at a cheap place that's a stone's throw from Holiday Inn Sukhumvit 22.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

duckmaster posted:

Guys I just got offered a job as a comedian :iamafag:

The pay is "free beer" but totally a job
Sundance?

Ganguro King posted:

I'm not sure if I'm willing to play Battletech, but I am willing to make snide commentary while drinking beer and watching others play.
Agreed.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

I tried to find some Magic events but failed last time I was there. :/ Most places listed online are out of date.
Start here:

http://www.meetup.com/dnd-96/

I know that doesn't say MtG, but it's the first step down a dark spiral into nerdery. I've also seen a couple of places with a shitload of Thai guys playing. I myself play internet business, which is sort of like MtG, but with money, so I don't play, but I dicked around when it was new and know how to spot a MtG hive.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

zgrowler2 posted:

Assuming this is still an open offer and Saturday is a possibility, the spouse and I are tentatively interested (gotta make sure no conflicts with other plans). We're in town through Saturday, staying at a cheap place that's a stone's throw from Holiday Inn Sukhumvit 22.

It's open invitation, but right now I'm just seeing if there's interest. I'm not actually in the country at the moment. Right now I'm at, 'Goons will drink beer, possibly while snickering.'

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Atlas Hugged posted:

It's open invitation, but right now I'm just seeing if there's interest. I'm not actually in the country at the moment. Right now I'm at, 'Goons will drink beer, possibly while snickering.'

No worries. I'll hit you up here or via PM tomorrow. If it happens, cool, if not, also cool. Spouse runs a D&D campaign and I played too much MtG for my own good until recently, so there shouldn't be too much snickering.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

I thought Catan was the go-to drunken nerd game these days.

Anyway for those in Singapore, Orchard Towers World Cup goon meet for tonight is taking shape.

Señor Taco at midnight, it's on the first floor by the taxi stand.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

If I get this job and move there for 2-3 years I will bring out like 30-40 modern board games in the shipping container fo sho'

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jun 13, 2014

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Gail Wynand posted:

I thought Catan was the go-to drunken nerd game these days.

Anyway for those in Singapore, Orchard Towers World Cup goon meet for tonight is taking shape.

Señor Taco at midnight, it's on the first floor by the taxi stand.

I just really like Battletech.

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Heavens me, just look at the time

I brought a copy of Small World from home. Will anyone play that with me? I'll buy the (first bottle) of rotgut rum.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I'm down to play any game.

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Then please, for the love of god, come to hua hin and distract me.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I could come down, get drunk and sleep under your kitchen table. This would not at all be extraordinary behavior, but I'm worried it could be crowded under there.

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

He dumped me out of the blue on Tuesday and I live in a studio now. So the best you can do is the balcony or bathroom.

But hey, he felt guilty and gave me all 4 of his motorbikes. So I guess there's that.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I need to get situated before I can go on any adventures. I'll leave all that seat of the testicles stuff to Duckmaster.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

At least put on a Santa hat ffs

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

kru posted:

At least put on a Santa hat ffs

On my testicles?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Chair Huxtable posted:

He dumped me out of the blue on Tuesday and I live in a studio now. So the best you can do is the balcony or bathroom.

But hey, he felt guilty and gave me all 4 of his motorbikes. So I guess there's that.
Well aren't I the rear end in a top hat. Sorry about that :(

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Chair Huxtable posted:

That totally sucks I'm sorry. I should set a bangkok gooooon meet

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Living in Bangkok or Jakarta or Singapore with an unmarried partner is tough business, with the odds stacked heavily against. Or at least that is what I always tell people.

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

It's okay, boys. Really, it's okay. This just means I am at my drunkest, loudest self. Single Chair is way more fun than in a relationship Chair.

But if I get to be a pitiable person, then Reindeer, I will be coming to Bangkok next weekend and I demand that you meet me. Abe, are you planning to just "lose your phone" again?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Even if I lose my phone I will set a location and time so that you guys can witness my drunken silliness

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Nothing takes the rough edges off a breakup like goons discussing it! I can try to do my best next weekend, but I actually will be down in Hua Hin early next month for sure on a pleasure/business trip that will last a few days at which time I will be more than happy to get rip-roaring, stupid drunk in one of my favorite towns.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
All these Bangkok Goon meets I'm missing out on. I'm still pissed I missed the Golden Bay Leaves adventure.

I'll be back in December :v:

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Well, if anyone does make it here, let me know and I'll bring a bike for you to borrow. Won't even charge you 30k baht for a scratch. I can't promise I won't cry, but it's alright, you really don't have to listen. You just have to say "He sounds like an rear end in a top hat" a couple times, and it'll pass.

I should also make a Koh Tao trip. Maybe next month. Are there any goons still there? Don't seem to be, but you never know.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
A couple of years ago, I very nobly logged a goon out of a Koh Tao internet cafe computer rather than posting goatse. It's one of my life's biggest regrets.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

If you got boobs I bet goons will listen all night long even if you cry

Boobs

I'm mature really IRL (just not here (only real life))

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Not SE Asian expat goons. Still goons but better.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Warehouse in SR, I've decided I'm never going back to PP again because the expats are weird and there are no (white) girls. not racist

Why are there so many Dutch people in Cambodia? Literally every bar last night was a sea of orange. Girls everywhere but I hadn't had a shave and I was wearing my unlucky shirt so no salacious stories today, sorry :(

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

duckmaster posted:

Warehouse in SR, I've decided I'm never going back to PP again because the expats are weird and there are no (white) girls. not racist
WHAT. Did you not venture into BKK1 and BKK2? The land of the trustafarians? They have both Gloria Jeans and white women. Also, are you sure they didn't accidentally ask you to host their spoken word poetry night? Because that could be funny.

duckmaster posted:

Why are there so many Dutch people in Cambodia? Literally every bar last night was a sea of orange. Girls everywhere but I hadn't had a shave and I was wearing my unlucky shirt so no salacious stories today, sorry :(
Most of the time they can't be seen as they only come out from hiding in their cellars for the World Cup. The rest of the time they're waiting for the Americans to rescue them.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Chair Huxtable posted:

I should also make a Koh Tao trip. Maybe next month. Are there any goons still there? Don't seem to be, but you never know.

I don't think there are. eviljelly has disappeared (funnily enough, we've never met despite the Koh Tao fixation we share but I think he's chasing some girl around the world so who knows how long it will be untill he goes back) and I'm no longer there and won't be there long term again unless there's some kind of catastrophe here that causes me to leave.

I'm already planning December. Three weeks on Koh Tao until just after Christmas, New Years Eve in Kuala Lumpur, then a bit of an adventure in Thailand culminating in another three weeks on Koh Tao. I'm in training for the booze consumption already!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?

duckmaster posted:

I'm never going back to PP again because the expats are weird

I feel like I should take offense to this, but I can't really argue with it.