Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

I think you're underestimating the power of the brown force, my young padawan. That pic was taken from the TCAP thread in the brown sea, which was actually a screenshot from the WMH

froody guy fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

I like a nice pair of slacks.

Informed Consent posted:

Until watching those videos I had literally 0 interest in that voice command stuff, but that does look kinda cool.

Depends if I have to spend a weekend coding whenever I want the guy to say something original tho

That does look cool. Is it just voice attack or is there another program used in the first one Ark?

Recker
Jun 14, 2014

Kalenn Istarion posted:

This needs to go on RSI so that the brown sea can :tinfoil: some more about goon influence.

lol! Nice!

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

drunkill posted:

Well, we just lost who I think should have been the replacement host for WMH.

He produced and was behind the camera for Wingmans Hangar, he knows what to do and should have stepped infront of the camera as host, he has a great personality and voice, as seen in a few of the Inside CIG segments he produced.

He is in Austin though and isn't on the new show which is made out of California, shame he has left CIG now, I doubt his own crowdfunded Star Citizen Fanshow will be as good as an official one could have beem.

Mike can put together a good show with a camera, a brick, and some string.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Having had some time to play Arena Commander, I kind of wonder the point of Star Citizen is. They've sacrificed too much of the "realistic sim" stuff to satisfy people looking for that sort of thing, but at the same time the game is so jam-packed with managing bullshit minutia while you're trying to shoot people that is doesn't look like the gameplay is going to be that fun.

The black out system seems pointless as well, you can still see the targeting circles in the hud clearly so all it really accomplishes is keeping you from seeing the nice graphics of the enemies exploding while you're doing reckless g-force maneuvers.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Chocobo posted:

Having had some time to play Arena Commander, I kind of wonder the point of Star Citizen is. They've sacrificed too much of the "realistic sim" stuff to satisfy people looking for that sort of thing, but at the same time the game is so jam-packed with managing bullshit minutia while you're trying to shoot people that is doesn't look like the gameplay is going to be that fun.

The black out system seems pointless as well, you can still see the targeting circles in the hud clearly so all it really accomplishes is keeping you from seeing the nice graphics of the enemies exploding while you're doing reckless g-force maneuvers.

Actually the g forces seem to be a deliberate thing to stop endless turn fighting. It would in theory make you carefully chose what you want to do or gently caress yourself. It should add an extra layer of complexity so that there is a mitigating factor to very maneuverable ships that usually rule these games. Or they will gently caress it up and they won't who knows.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Bootcha posted:

Mike can put together a good show with a camera, a brick, and some string and puppets
Fixed that for ya.

Seriously, I don't mean to support "yet another totally useless way to throw your money at Star Citizen" but after seeing what they did swapping WMH with that ATV lovely show I'd rather see Morlan having success with his own one while Ben tries to wheez one more time next to that Pocahontas looking at the camera with her deer-on-the-highway stare.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

froody guy posted:

Seriously, I don't mean to support "yet another totally useless way to throw your money at Star Citizen" but after seeing what they did swapping WMH with that ATV lovely show I'd rather see Morlan having success with his own one while Ben tries to wheez one more time next to that Pocahontas looking at the camera with her deer-on-the-highway stare.

If I wasn't already backing The Hull Truth, I'd pitch in on that. But given the choice, I'll happily keep paying for the "summarizes all Star Citizen news this week while skipping the bullshit" show, and The Hull Truth has been doing a loving amazing job of it so far.

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful

Recker posted:

lol! Nice!

You can make better posts than this.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

TasogareNoKagi posted:

:cawg:

I couldn't remember where I saved the dancing lesnick gif. I found something even more hilarious.

This is about 5 miles from my house. I don't know if that is good or bad

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Got a chance to play this at Dreamhack, and quite a few things became clear to me:

I absolutely need a graphics card upgrade because this looks awesome. I also need to fly with a mouse and keyboard because I loving suck at using joysticks, apparently. And after hearing the amount of money put into the setup they had at DH, I'm fairly sure buying virtual ships might not be the most expensive thing backers of the game can do, after all.

Jegan Ace
May 6, 2014

Every non-lethal catapult launch is a triumph

:corrupt:

Chocobo posted:

A lot of the HUD can be minimized and trimmed. There's a lot stupid crap on there that doesn't need to be there. In addition to this, the Bitching Betty does a pretty good job to ensure that you are eyeballing the actual important thing: the target.

But above the suggestion of minimization - the control schemes have to be tested further, and made tighter for a variety of control surfaces. Right now, flying on a mouse and keyboard is like trying to steer a space barn through corn syrup.

I'm interested to see how CIG weighs the differing viewpoints of people using different peripherals, and whether they are used to a more arcade style of space combat.

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

"so, am I right in understanding that you're a bigot or aficionado of racist humor?

STAR CITIZEN is for WHITES ONLY!

:lesnick:

Jegan Ace posted:

I'm interested to see how CIG weighs the differing viewpoints of people using different peripherals, and whether they are used to a more arcade style of space combat.

so far, they've paid more attention to superfluous poo poo than to how the actual ships fly, so I'm guessing they're listening to the "differing" viewpoints from the brown sea: 1) It sucks because it's so great 2) it's great because it's so great

Broccoli Cat fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jun 16, 2014

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The hornet and 300i control pretty well with a joystick, feels much better than just mouse & keyboard.

I guess what I'm saying is that the joystick deprived and aurora owners can get hosed. :toot:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I've been using a joystick and find it pretty viable. Frankly I wouldn't trust the feel of any of the ships at the moment because everything is almost certainly going to change.

Also if you didn't watch him at E3 last week he was interviewed by GameSpot and says that AC was released "prematurely" because people were impatient. Gee, I wonder why anyone would feel that way.

Execute
Apr 25, 2014

*Insert Electric Noise Here*

Jegan Ace posted:

A lot of the HUD can be minimized and trimmed. There's a lot stupid crap on there that doesn't need to be there. In addition to this, the Bitching Betty does a pretty good job to ensure that you are eyeballing the actual important thing: the target.

But above the suggestion of minimization - the control schemes have to be tested further, and made tighter for a variety of control surfaces. Right now, flying on a mouse and keyboard is like trying to steer a space barn through corn syrup.

This recent video from E3 shows some interesting things planned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QImhlyyPDiw

Roelosaurus
Jun 5, 2014

When is Mr. Roberts gonna squize out the MP for all of us?

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I've been using a joystick and find it pretty viable. Frankly I wouldn't trust the feel of any of the ships at the moment because everything is almost certainly going to change.

Also if you didn't watch him at E3 last week he was interviewed by GameSpot and says that AC was released "prematurely" because people were impatient. Gee, I wonder why anyone would feel that way.

Well I guess we learned our lesson! Better be patient and let Chris Roberts take his sweet time. Surely that's the way to do things!

What's that? PU is deemed an expansion and slated for 2016?

Dart
Jan 11, 2012

Roelosaurus posted:

When is Mr. Roberts gonna squize out the MP for all of us?

ETA 1 to 48 months.

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

I have been stupidly thinking about burning money upgrading my Aurora MR to a 300I or Hornet (can't decide). I have the lifetime insurance, etc. etc. If I use the upgrade at https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/cross-chassis-upgrades will I keep all my original backer crap?

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

JayJay posted:

I have been stupidly thinking about burning money upgrading my Aurora MR to a 300I or Hornet (can't decide). I have the lifetime insurance, etc. etc. If I use the upgrade at https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/cross-chassis-upgrades will I keep all my original backer crap?

Yes, all the other backer stuff is still there. In fact, the image in the hangar still shows the same ship it was originally, but with an "upgrades" button to show what it's changed to.

I did an Aurora LN LTI up to a 300i chassis upgrade, then to a 325a to make a trade with someone who was after one. All of that applied under the upgrades, and when you expand the details section, it shows the new ship.

For what it's worth, this is all also tradeable and does correctly show up in the hangar.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
I bought all these internet spaceships back in 2013, thought I still haven't played this flight sim.

Are there mods yet?

Parias
Jul 17, 2000

My Generosity is again
LEGENDARY!

Daktari posted:

Are there mods yet?

CIG added PAK signing to the game after Arena Commander (the space combat module) launched. Sadly for now this means you can't do stupid poo poo with the alpha files anymore, but proper modding support will be available for the game's final release.

Recker
Jun 14, 2014

Parias posted:

CIG added PAK signing to the game after Arena Commander (the space combat module) launched. Sadly for now this means you can't do stupid poo poo with the alpha files anymore, but proper modding support will be available for the game's final release.

It is my understanding that modding ships may be allowed on the 'persistent' game server, but such mods would need to be approved by the devs. Is there going to be "free-modding" on the private servers?

Recker fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 16, 2014

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Recker posted:

It is my understanding that modding ships may be allowed on the 'persistent' game server, but such mods would need to be approved by the devs. Is there going to be "free-modding" on the private servers?

All of this stuff is so far out time-wise from being something CIG has to worry about that anything they have said no the subject is completely meaningless. Once they have to deal with it (~1-2 years out) they will set something in place that has implications for people who are going to play the game.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

46.5 million. A space truck with a missile launcher raised another 2.5 million. Maybe it was E3 too?

Whenever I see these numbers, I just think of starving children or at least all the other thousands of indie games out there that could have been funded instead and I become a little melancholy about it.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I got a multiplayer invite today but I'm on vacation so I can't play it. I'm in the 3000s.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
so the majority of goons should be playing by christmas, awesome

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Raskolnikov posted:

46.5 million. A space truck with a missile launcher raised another 2.5 million. Maybe it was E3 too?

Whenever I see these numbers, I just think of starving children or at least all the other thousands of indie games out there that could have been funded instead and I become a little melancholy about it.

It boggles the mind. Who the gently caress is buying all this poo poo? The budget might as well be completely arbitrary at this point, the rate at which it goes up just makes no sense.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
It is crazy. I went from being very :woop: until the mid 20's. Then it started to be rather :stonk: at the rate it was progressing. Now its just :catstare: Why are people still throwing millions of dollars at this. The citizen count isn't jumping that much, so its a lot of current backers buying even more imaginary pixels. I mean drat, I want this to be amazing but holy poo poo. There needs to be a point where people just stop throwing mountains of cash at this until it gets a lot farther along the dev track. Once we get PU beta out or something, then at least I could see more people signing up.

E; I like how they're replacing TNGS with an "Inside CIG" show, with the caveat that it will only air, "When Available." At least I know I'm not the only one who isn't expecting to see this but like once a month, if we ever get past episode two. Just look how the "daily bug report" thing lasted leading up to DFM? Two days, skipped a day, then never came back for the 2 days leading up to its release.

Hobold fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 16, 2014

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Justin Tyme posted:

It boggles the mind. Who the gently caress is buying all this poo poo? The budget might as well be completely arbitrary at this point, the rate at which it goes up just makes no sense.

Look obviously you don't have the comprehension that a mastermind like Octopode does and you are just being an armchair manager and ablabalabn omg you're not playing by my rules im having an autistic episode ahhhh let me hide under my desk until it blows over and I can look at my sweet sweet backer benefits again

Realtalk though the people adding funding to this are the same types that support their kidnappers ala Patty Hearst/Stockholmes syndrome types and that makes me sad :(

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Wulfling posted:

It is crazy. I went from being very :woop: until the mid 20's. Then it started to be rather :stonk: at the rate it was progressing. Now its just :catstare: Why are people still throwing millions of dollars at this. The citizen count isn't jumping that much, so its a lot of current backers buying even more imaginary pixels. I mean drat, I want this to be amazing but holy poo poo. There needs to be a point where people just stop throwing mountains of cash at this until it gets a lot farther along the dev track. Once we get PU beta out or something, then at least I could see more people signing up.

E; I like how they're replacing TNGS with an "Inside CIG" show, with the caveat that it will only air, "When Available." At least I know I'm not the only one who isn't expecting to see this but like once a month, if we ever get past episode two. Just look how the "daily bug report" thing lasted leading up to DFM? Two days, skipped a day, then never came back for the 2 days leading up to its release.

Citizen count is registered accounts even if they have not financially backed the game, if memory serves. It could be people that were on the fence finally backing or people spending even more cash.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Justin Tyme posted:

It boggles the mind. Who the gently caress is buying all this poo poo?

Who are these strange benefactors you ask? It turns out you don't have to look very far.

JayJay posted:

I have been stupidly thinking about burning money upgrading my Aurora MR to a 300I or Hornet (can't decide). I have the lifetime insurance, etc. etc.

MoraleHazard posted:

I think CIG is going to get a whole bunch more money once the cross-chassis upgrades goes live for the larger ships. I know I'm tempted to trade my Freelancer in for something else.

Bladesofskrm posted:

All I can say is that Mr. Roberts is very persistent. Anyway I'd love to get my hands on this awesome package. It looks good.

treizebee posted:

The MIS variant Freelancer appears to also get a 3rd crew slot.

Time to pore over the brochure with credit card in hand, debating on which one to get.

All within the last week (or so).

The REAL Gtab Fan
Apr 12, 2007

Let it post, let it post, can't wait to shit post anymore~
Let it go, let it go, gonna vote one and move onnnnnn~

Widestancer posted:

Look obviously you don't have the comprehension that a mastermind like Octopode does and you are just being an armchair manager and ablabalabn omg you're not playing by my rules im having an autistic episode ahhhh let me hide under my desk until it blows over and I can look at my sweet sweet backer benefits again

Realtalk though the people adding funding to this are the same types that support their kidnappers ala Patty Hearst/Stockholmes syndrome types and that makes me sad :(

This is good, I like that someone is here to help us through this. thank you.

I like your posting tag is there a way I can donate for it.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

The REAL Gtab Fan posted:

This is good, I like that someone is here to help us through this. thank you.

I like your posting tag is there a way I can donate for it.

Donations not required; helping fellow goons is what makes the world a happier place :tipshat:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Widestancer posted:

My very first reaction to this comment was 'haha lol donating to a crowd funded video game = giving money to your kidnapper' that's retarded.

But there are people who actually have a problem and are giving way beyond the threshold of 'I want this video game to be a thing,' and it is sort of sad. I wonder how many college funds and savings accounts have been totally drained by this not game.

Star Citizen: Your kids don't need to go to college. Donate today!

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Ice Fist posted:

But there are people who actually have a problem and are giving way beyond the threshold of 'I want this video game to be a thing,' and it is sort of sad. I wonder how many college funds and savings accounts have been totally drained by this not game.

Star Citizen: Your kids don't need to go to college. Donate today!

This can be seen in the back and forth between CIG and the backers

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
Chris(t) just spent the first half of the 10ftC today, with a really overly verbose way of saying, "The flight model is 100% physically accurately simulated that is why it feels strange to people. Its not fudged at all." Any changes made to the system in terms of how ships control now is by adjusting the IFCS system, not changing the calculations behind it. This should stir up tons of angst in the brown sea, and hell likely here as well. :munch:

E; A couple of 'modes' for the joystick/hotas setups that have not been implemented yet, are going to get added 'soon', to bring them up a bit more balance wise against kb/m. Also mentioned that custom keybinds are 2-3 weeks out at this point. Thats gonna piss some people off I know.

Hobold fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 17, 2014

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I don't have a problem with their physics system and only with how the IFCS fucks it all up to lesser (300i works almost flawlessly) or greater (Aurora what the gently caress) degree. Unfortunately it seems they use "we'll tweak the IFCS" as a way of saying "we'll do something later maybe eventually". Tweaking the IFCS is simply another thing they push until eternity because they can use "the underlying physics system is fine" as a dodge.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

DatonKallandor posted:

I don't have a problem with their physics system and only with how the IFCS fucks it all up to lesser (300i) or greater (Aurora what the gently caress) degree. Unfortunately it seems they use "we'll tweak the IFCS" as a way of saying "we'll do something later maybe eventually". Tweaking the IFCS is simply another thing they push until eternity.

Yeah seems that way to me as well. He spent a long time talking about the over steer effect that everyone complains about being realistic part of how the flight system works, and people are just going to have to get used to it really. I can see where he comes from, but at the same time, most people won't just accept that, they want Wing Commander, not realism.

E; Another big website upgrade coming towards the end of this month, first part of next. Some sort of 3d overhaul for the store and some other things, as well as laying the ground work for the Galactipedia.

E; This 3d upgrade is sounding like a web based asset viewer for ships, ect.

Hobold fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 17, 2014

• Locked thread