Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

tuluk posted:

thanks again.

Back to malazan discussion. I see that The Wurms of Blearmouth is due out in 18 days.
http://amzn.com/0765376229

I have been waiting for Esslemont to finish up his followup malazan series before getting into them.
Hopefully Tor Books or amazon will offer a Esslemont physical/ebook megabundle for sale.

I'm looking forward to this and Assail - good reading fodder over the summer months!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

From the Amazon description for that new K&B book: 'Series: Malazan Book of the Fallen (Book 11)' ;)

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Baudin posted:

I'm looking forward to this and Assail - good reading fodder over the summer months!

Between this, Assail, the third of Brent Weeks' Black Prism novels, and the sequel to Ryan's Blood Song all coming out within the next 6-7 weeks, I'm am going to be pretty busy until, like, September.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Just started Gardens of The Moon and I have a question.

Can someone explain the difference between an ascendant and a god?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

ZombieLenin posted:

Just started Gardens of The Moon and I have a question.

Can someone explain the difference between an ascendant and a god?

This won't make a ton of sense yet, but an Ascendant is basically a powerful person, think like a higher leveled RPG character.

A god has sat in/claimed the throne of a warren. Which means they control it and can use it's power super well.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

nucleicmaxid posted:

This won't make a ton of sense yet, but an Ascendant is basically a powerful person, think like a higher leveled RPG character.

A god has sat in/claimed the throne of a warren. Which means they control it and can use it's power super well.

This isn't entirely true, as many of the Gods ARE Warrens. Of those that aren't, some came by it by doing as you say, some were elevated by collective belief (thinking Dessembrae here) and some may have inherited or been given the role (Opon).

The short answer is often power level (gods tend to be more powerful), but the long answer in many cases appears to be subjective. Many ascendants and Gods come into their power in a similar fashion (the aforementioned collective belief), and some ascendants are as powerful as almost any God. And in some cultures (that you will meet down the line) some of these ascendants are in fact considered to be gods.

Becoming an ascendant is definitely easier, on average. That may be the real difference. :)

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
To add to that, ascendants are free agents and gods usually have followers that can constrain them in some fashion. NB, this is not true 100% of the time.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

rejutka posted:

To add to that, ascendants are free agents and gods usually have followers that can constrain them in some fashion. NB, this is not true 100% of the time.

Yeah, that too.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I think the answer to that question should be, "Just don't worry about it for now," because it's not important yet.

Squee
Jun 15, 2003
<3
I started listening to his series and just started book 4, and so far I am really liking it. Other than the end of book 3 at least :argh:
It is a bit hard to keep track of everyone sometimes, especially since I don't have a book in front of me to go back and reread. My biggest problem is now they seem to have changed narrator with book 4 which I really hate. I was super confused for the first like 2 chapters, just because the new guy pronounces stuff weirdly. Hopefully I'll get used to it tho.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Squee posted:

I started listening to his series and just started book 4, and so far I am really liking it. Other than the end of book 3 at least :argh:
It is a bit hard to keep track of everyone sometimes, especially since I don't have a book in front of me to go back and reread. My biggest problem is now they seem to have changed narrator with book 4 which I really hate. I was super confused for the first like 2 chapters, just because the new guy pronounces stuff weirdly. Hopefully I'll get used to it tho.

I feel you here since I'm "reading" the first book on my 2 hour commute via audible.

And that's just one book.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I've still got ebook credits from amazon's lawsuit settlement with the big book publishers.
my pre-order of Wurms of Blearmouth is going to be free.

good friend kruppe would prefer I get a book about french pastries instead.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I'm about to start this. Is the overall consensus from the people who have read everything that it's...worth it? It's real good?

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

rear end Catchcum posted:

I'm about to start this. Is the overall consensus from the people who have read everything that it's...worth it? It's real good?

Very much so yes. As ever, the first 100 pages or so feature gently caress all exposition and start off in media res, so stick with it.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

rear end Catchcum posted:

think of it like a thomas pynchon novel. everything is interconnected, and nothing is really explained to you at first.
If you stick with it, more of it starts to make sense.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

tuluk posted:

think of it like a thomas pynchon novel. everything is interconnected, and nothing is really explained to you at first.
If you stick with it, more of it starts to make sense.

Except it's better and not as much of a psychedelic mindfuck

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I thought Wurms of Blearmouth had already come out? I definitely have a copy somewhere.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Erikson and Esslemont use a boutique UK publishing house for most of their stuff and they usually get it first. It's generally p expensive and now that tor is catching up with publishing them only really geared for collectors.

But yes, it's been out since 06/2012 technically

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
yessssss

e:

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I am really bad at this.

Gesler and Stormy in one pic with no one else?

A T'lan Mass which might be anyone (Tool I guess). Is that supposed to be Karsa next to him with a chain on his arm? Maybe Icarium on the right?

Drizz't Do'unden or whatever his name is.

Then the last picture there is a short one which I am guessing is Kruppe?

Edit: That's seriously all I can get. I'm on reread number 4 too. What the gently caress. The girls with knives could be anyone, and the top dude on the right is probably Kalem but I dont know why he has light sabers.

Dude with the hammer might be Barathol? But he doesnt use a hammer. Wait, is that supposed to be Brood?

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 26, 2014

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Fiddler, Quick Ben with nucular amulet, Whiskeyjack and Kalam.

Not-Apsalar, ...Crokus mebbe?, Dunno, Dunno, Dunno

Dunno, Barathol Mekhar?, Dunno, Dunno.

Gesler and Stormy mebbe.

Tool, Karsa, Icarium

Anomander, Andarist and Silchas Ruin

Dunno about any of them last.

P.S. Where the gently caress are Tehol and Bugg?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
1) Fiddler, Quick Ben, Whiskeyjack, Kalam

2) Apsalar, Ganoes Paran, Hedge, Trotts, Mallet

3) Kallor, Caladan Brood, Envy/Spite

4) Gesler & Stormy

5) Tool, Karsa, Icarium

6) Annomandaris, Andarist, Silchas Ruin

7) Rallick Nom, Coll, Cutter, Kruppe, Murrilio

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Hey guys. I recently started GoTM and I'm mentally casting the characters as well-known actors in order to better keep track of them. Yes, I know a lot of choices are weird and/or wrong (I've already been spoiled by someone on the Shadowthrone/Ammanas thing). I was wondering if you had any suggestions for the GoTM characters not pictured here. Many thanks!

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
That's pretty cool but some of them are waaay off in my opinion. For example, we discussed Tattersail earlier in the thread and she's supposed to be somewhat on the round side. I also cannot see Mr T as Kalam at all, possibly because he's too iconic a person. I had the same issue with Jennifer Lawrence in the new X-Men movie; rather than Mystique all I saw was Jennifer Lawrence. I'm assuming Eddie Murphy as Shadowthrone is a joke.

Conversely, I really like: Whiskeyjack, Tayschrenn, Nightchill, Murillion

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Yeah, I failed in finding a more robust actress that I'd see as Tattersail. Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm making an effort to see Eddie as a very, very serious villain... Well, I'll try at least. I sort of regret Kalam now because the audiobook versios has him in a very, very thin, squeaky voice...disturbing.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Mr Underhill posted:

Yeah, I failed in finding a more robust actress that I'd see as Tattersail. Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm making an effort to see Eddie as a very, very serious villain... Well, I'll try at least. I sort of regret Kalam now because the audiobook versios has him in a very, very thin, squeaky voice...disturbing.

This seems like a lot of pointless work for a bunch of characters that have no major impact on the rest of the series, since a fair number of them are dead after GoTM and Deadhouse Gates adds an equal amount of characters as do the rest of the books. Laseen/Surly is Napan, and thus black. Topper is only half-human. Toc the Younger has too many eyes.
As an example both Midnight Tides and House of Chains adds a completely new cast, separate from the characters in GotM, DG and MoI.

On something else, I just started reading Deadhouse Gates for the third time and I have forgotten how slow the book starts.
Also 7 Cities is a pretty cool place, that I wish Erikson could elaborate more on. Besides DG, 7 Cities only show up in HoC and Bonehunters.
It would be kind of cool to get the back story of the Bridgeburners and Daseem Ultor in a similar way we are getting the back story of the Tiste in Forge of Darkness.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Who is it you casted as Coll? Because the picture really reminds me of Louis de Funés and that's pretty much the least fitting match imaginable.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Cardiac posted:

Toc the Younger has too many eyes.

This is hilarious, and such a dumb thing to say.

I dont think the guy who posted the list googled "one eyed actors." Pretty sure he assumed a bit of makeup and/or an eyepatch would be used rather than to find a legit one-eyed actor.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Fat Val as Mallet is hilarious and good call on Murillio. I think Rob Lowe would be better as Pearl (assassin) but that might just be down to how hysterically self-absorbed he is on Californication. Quick Ben is pretty much Lance Reddick in my head. Oliver Reed would have made a badass Dujek. I also have a hard time thinking of Kruppe as anyone other than Danny DeVito.

Camryn Manheim for Tattersail?

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
I'm not sure tattersail is as large as some people seem to think. She's constantly described more as "big sexy" than outright fat. I saw her more as slightly plump but hourglass sort of shape. Big tits, big rear end and a slightly large waist but not a size 20. More a UK size 14-16 that carries it well. Maybe Kate Winslet before she got all thin, but with bigger tits.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

I don't know, man. As described, she seems to be a pretty thick woman - not just a well endowed one.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

rejutka posted:

Fat Val as Mallet is hilarious and good call on Murillio. I think Rob Lowe would be better as Pearl (assassin) but that might just be down to how hysterically self-absorbed he is on Californication. Quick Ben is pretty much Lance Reddick in my head. Oliver Reed would have made a badass Dujek. I also have a hard time thinking of Kruppe as anyone other than Danny DeVito.

Camryn Manheim for Tattersail?

I'd take Chiwetel Ejiofor as Quick Ben, too. He'd thin down for the role, but he's got the intensity just right!

Oh, and Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje to go with him as Kalam!

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Habibi posted:

I don't know, man. As described, she seems to be a pretty thick woman - not just a well endowed one.

A bigger titted Kate Winslet back in the late 90s or early 2000s was still fairly thick. I mean in her size 14 dress not currently filming guise, not her just slimmed down for a role look. Works better than outright fat. Someone who could be stunning given a few months and a lot of rabbit food.

This plus a few pounds. Like maybe one size up.

Masonity fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 27, 2014

thetedster
Jan 31, 2007

Spermy Smurf posted:

This is hilarious, and such a dumb thing to say.

I dont think the guy who posted the list googled "one eyed actors." Pretty sure he assumed a bit of makeup and/or an eyepatch would be used rather than to find a legit one-eyed actor.

That's Peter Falk, and he only had one eye (he's also dead now).

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Masonity posted:

A bigger titted Kate Winslet back in the late 90s or early 2000s was still fairly thick. I mean in her size 14 dress not currently filming guise, not her just slimmed down for a role look. Works better than outright fat. Someone who could be stunning given a few months and a lot of rabbit food.

This plus a few pounds. Like maybe one size up.

I feel like it's hard to come up with comparable because it's not a body style you see often among women in Hollywood, but I think you'd need a couple of extra sizes up on that Winslet shot. It the impression that Tattersail was not so much pretty and plump as she was plump and pretty.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
One suggestion I'd probably make: Noomi Rapace for Tavore Paran.

She's got that 'intense but distant' thing going on reall well, and is just easy enough on the eye to be good looking without being 'obviously hot'. Do a bit of physical training, picture her in armour with the Otataral sword, and it really just works in my head.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 27, 2014

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
This thread's gettin' weird also haha on the Ammanas and Shadowthrone actors :allears:

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
How would everyone feel about Nicholas Campbell as Kallor or, y'know, whoever the gently caress he wanted to be?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Nicolas Cage would obviously be Iscaral Pust.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
He's Bill Cobb in my head. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Oh god just looked at that pic of the actors and :lol:.

Also: Danny DeVito as Kruppe.