Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I think my first Hot Toys was The Dark Knight Bank Robber Joker, pretty sure it was about $125 which at the time I thought was absurd. Nowadays I don't blink an eye throwing $400 down on a third party Transformer :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

I remember back when the $75 I paid for Medicom's 12-inch comic book figures seemed like highway robbery.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
The price for Hot Toys feels justified for what you get. The level of detail and craftsmanship borders on unreal. The amount of time that has to go in on just the paint has to be a serious undertaking, let alone the things like the stitching for the clothing and whatnot.

People are willing to pay a premium for quality but I feel like the well is starting to run dry on people attempting to buy stuff because it is their only option for X. Like someone else said the Black Series Vader is going to be the big test case for this. I know I am going to buy the Japanese option just because I know I will be able to spend a bit more and have a higher quality product without having to hunt for it. Hell if they can get the price point right on those Stormtroopers I am pretty sure they will be able to sell a ton of those to the army builder folks that have been poo poo on for the last couple of years. Hell I am pretty sore that I haven't been able to find a single AIM or Hydra goon since I would have bought a couple of each. Smooth move on Hasbro yet again short packing the Army builders while the shelves are clogged with Spideys and Caps that will never sell.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
It amazes me that the Hot Toys Mars Attacks Martians haven't been re-released or anything. They are some of best figures I have from Sideshow, the level of detail is amazing. Plus its not like they could use other body types for the models since they are so short. Just really fantastic figures that are really fun to pose (especially since you can move their eyes around to look different ways).

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Just came from Target. They were doing stocking the toys. There were 2 pallets they didn't get to that had the Ninja Turtle movie toys on them. Incase anyone is looking for stuff keep a eye open.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I am super stoked for the new Terminator movie. It allows a chance that a T-800 Endoskeleton will be re-released. Die cast too. :unsmith:

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
I am trying to thin out my unwieldy NECA collection and thought I would give you guys first crack at it before resorting to ebay. PM or email frictiony at yahoo if you're interested.

Various dudes, the two on the far right are incomplete. $10 each or $100 takes the whole thing away.

McFarlane Hicks with cool kid helmet, shotgun, etc. Complete. $30.

Aoshima Alien. I can't find any recent transactions on this thing so determining value is hard...I think I paid $40 so it'd be nice to get that back. Inclused all the crap in the bag, including Jonesy!

Mcfarlane dog alien, $30.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Louisgod posted:

e: and drat my first Legends figures were Sabretooth and Colossus and they were something like $7 each, which I thought was expensive at the time.

My first was Series 3, and they cost me $5.49 each at K-Mart. Also, hard to believe that was over 10 years ago now.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

RevKrule posted:

Standard Hot Toys RRP has increased but not quite doubled, I don't think, The first one I bought was ~$150 in 2010 and the most recent one I bought was ~$220 this year. Yes the price has gone up but it's not double.

Secondary market however....that's a different story. Those things sell out and you're lucky paying 2X.

Oh good point, I read it as "things have doubled in the secondary market in 10 years" not "doubled in retail price in 10 years"

My bad!

First ML figure was the Stealth variant Iron Man from Series 1, had no clue it was so rare and its expensive now, even loose.

First Hot Toys was IM2 War Machine, dropped $200 for him, thought I was going to die paying those prices but that poo poo is like crack. $500 Iron Monger? Oh sure, I'll take one.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I am trying to thin out my unwieldy NECA collection and thought I would give you guys first crack at it before resorting to ebay. PM or email frictiony at yahoo if you're interested.

Various dudes, the two on the far right are incomplete. $10 each or $100 takes the whole thing away.

Is that Big Red in the top row?

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

The Rage posted:

Is that Big Red in the top row?

Yes indeedy.

edit: Also I guess I'd trade for marvel legends if anyone wants to do that.

Why cookie Rocket fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 18, 2014

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Yes indeedy.

edit: Also I guess I'd trade for marvel legends if anyone wants to do that.

edit: e-mail sent

Any legends in particular you're looking for?

Corn Glizzy fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jun 18, 2014

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I found a Marvel select Deadpool for 24.99 in a store, should I pick it up?

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I found a Marvel select Deadpool for 24.99 in a store, should I pick it up?

Nah, they are a little less than that on Amazon in plentiful quantities.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

McFarlane Hicks with cool kid helmet, shotgun, etc. Complete. $30.

Aoshima Alien. I can't find any recent transactions on this thing so determining value is hard...I think I paid $40 so it'd be nice to get that back. Inclused all the crap in the bag, including Jonesy!

Mcfarlane dog alien, $30.
That Aoshima Alien is pretty tempting! Give me an honest review of it and convince me to buy it from you. :rodimus:

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat
Hooray, look what's finally in the works:

I really hope this means that the other three Dark Judges have a chance and maybe they'll do the rest of the ABC Warriors.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

That Aoshima Alien is pretty tempting! Give me an honest review of it and convince me to buy it from you. :rodimus:

It's pretty cool. I think you'd be a better reviewer than me, honestly. I'm an alien fan, but I'm the THE alien fan. I'm a bit xenomorph racist-- as long as they aren't horrible, they all look alike to me. For instance, I think the head looks a little wide but when I re-watch the movie I guess it's a little wider in the first film after all....

That being said as a plastic snob I like the super-high-quality plastic on the Aoshima alien. NECA's sculpts are great but I always feel like the plastic is in the process of falling apart (the strong smell of offgassing one gets from any new NECA toy doesn't help with this). Also, it's got a nice satin gloss to it. The articulation is a mixed bag, because the shoulders are kind of limited, but he has some leg cuts I haven't seen elsewhere. Also, I like that the tail is static-- no bendy posing wire or anything, just a nice arc of Lambert-leg-caressing death. If there's a way to get the jaw to extend, I haven't figured it out (information on Aoshima's alien toys is super limited). Jones doesn't look surly enough, but it's fun to have a figure of literally the only creature on the Nostromo to not be killed.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

My Siege Loki took a tumble and a piece of paint on one of his horns is halfway peeled off. Any recommendations on what to use to glue it back on? I'm wary of super glue because of the white burn marks that appear when too much is used.

Also, picture of my waifu:

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

fozzy fosbourne posted:

My Siege Loki took a tumble and a piece of paint on one of his horns is halfway peeled off. Any recommendations on what to use to glue it back on? I'm wary of super glue because of the white burn marks that appear when too much is used.

Also, picture of my waifu:

This pic really doesn't do it justice. It's got a great glossy black finish and it's just...unf. It's a great figure, through and through.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Louisgod posted:

Oil is still expensive but they may still be using that as an excuse to keep prices high but I've also read that increased regulation in Chinese factories have lead to increased prices. Despite that though manufacturers like Hasbro need to change their distribution model instead of relying exclusively on retail outlets to sell their products. For example, Hasbro needs to get an actual online store going that can take pre-orders, that way they can gauge interest and sell directly to customers. Personally, I don't mind paying the $20 or so a figure if the quality is there (and just about all 6" figures these days are in that price range) but they sure don't make it easy to buy the figures sometimes.

e: and drat my first Legends figures were Sabretooth and Colossus and they were something like $7 each, which I thought was expensive at the time.

The problem with the online store approach is that the U.S. retailers have loving terrible quality control. So you are basically gambling that you are getting something with terrible paint if you don't actually get to look at something on a peg. I don't have this problem with the japanese stuff I've gotten, although some people were probably bummed out by that Figuarts Big Chap.

For example, I'm now the proud owner of the "Sideways Glance" variant of Marvel Now Captain America. I made the mistake of ordering him blind off of BBTS. The A on his forehead is also a little off center and he has white paint all over his arm.

Look at this derpy bastard! What am I supposed to do with that? Get a new one? Christ.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's intentional. It's battle damage.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

That's intentional. It's battle damage.

More like brain damage.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Oh definitely, the QC on those figures is sorely lacking and they'd probably just jack up the price to make up for it but hey you got a limited edition NAMERIO out of it.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Rhyno posted:

More like brain damage.

It's the new "concussed from battle" line.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Pfft. It's a damned near perfect Kirby Cap.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

His glass eye is wandering off.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

I think 90% of the Marvel NOW! Cap's have the wandering eye. They all look ridiculous.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Most figures made these days have wondering eyes, it's pretty annoying.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

boom boom boom posted:

Does anybody have the license for Edge of Tomorrow? I'd throw down some serious cash for a ThreeZero Full Metal Bitch.

Wouldn't that just be a thing. The movie did a good job of making that suit interesting rather than generic HALO spartan/Anime Hardsuit.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 6, 2014

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

This pic really doesn't do it justice. It's got a great glossy black finish and it's just...unf. It's a great figure, through and through.

Ok, look.

I added a little clear read to the chest bit and the eyes (did blue for the regular mark 6) but aside from that... check this thing out it's just so gorgeous.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
God, it is impossible to find a Nova online for less than like 40 bucks (although near the end I may have slimmed down ebay to Buy It Now + Free Shipping out of pure laziness).

I'm gonna have to go HUNTING over the weekend, aren't I? gently caress.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Hah I called that months ago.

Try going to a Target employee with the DCPI or whatever and see if they can pull a fresh box from the back, assuming they haven't put it on the shelf. A lot of people seem to have good luck with that.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

I am a little surprised how bananas people are going for this set. Isn't it possible that the movie will blow and they'll all just have a green Batista to show for all this hunting?

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I am a little surprised how bananas people are going for this set. Isn't it possible that the movie will blow and they'll all just have a green Batista to show for all this hunting?

It's at least something different than the non-stop Avengers the past five years.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

It is a set of characters whom have been being begged for almost a decade. The Nova in particular has been a huge want for a ton of people.

I just hope I can get that SDCC set.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Yeah I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, I swear, I would just hate for the figures with actor likenesses to be a big eyesore in a few months if the movie isn't good.

That being said Groot is one of the prettiest toys I have seen in ages and is almost worth the price all by himself.

And my familiarity with the characters is limited to their appearance in All-New X-Men. Are there any essential GOTG stories I should be reading?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Yeah I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, I swear, I would just hate for the figures with actor likenesses to be a big eyesore in a few months if the movie isn't good.

That being said Groot is one of the prettiest toys I have seen in ages and is almost worth the price all by himself.

And my familiarity with the characters is limited to their appearance in All-New X-Men. Are there any essential GOTG stories I should be reading?

Start reading Annihilation. Stop when you finish Thanos Imperative.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Ok, look.

I added a little clear read to the chest bit and the eyes (did blue for the regular mark 6) but aside from that... check this thing out it's just so gorgeous.

That looks awesome. And Gaim too. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No, because everything James Gunn has directed is perfect. Unless Marvel takes over and reedits the film, all should be good.

That being said, I love this Chris Pratt toy.

(mind the wonky eye in the photo, he actually looks pretty good in person)