Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

ComradeCosmobot posted:

^^^^ Then the Eritrean thing makes even less sense unless people have a hard-on for spreading democracy to a repressive state that lacks oil ^^^^

I don't think this is intended as a map of how the author thinks things should be, but instead as a prediction of how things might end up in a few decades if the stability in the Middle East continues to break down. I presume in such a situation the map's creator thinks Ethiopia is going to have another go at getting a coastline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Is it really meant to be a serious map? It just looks like a strategy boardgame to me.

A pretty neat looking one too.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Djibouti: funniest country name since 1977!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I was on the Guardian's website, and clicked on their Middle East section to read about Iraq. They break it further down by country. And on that list is Comoros. The gently caress?

How did they become part of the Middle East? They must have been settled or conquered by Arabs at some point since Arabic is one of their languages.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
I don't know if I would call Comoros the middle east just because they use arabic. There used to be a lot of muslim/arabic sultanates along the east coast of Africa.

edit: Also the trade routes between the middle east and east africa.

VVV no kidding

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jun 22, 2014

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Count Roland posted:

I was on the Guardian's website, and clicked on their Middle East section to read about Iraq. They break it further down by country. And on that list is Comoros. The gently caress?

How did they become part of the Middle East? They must have been settled or conquered by Arabs at some point since Arabic is one of their languages.

They're members of the Arab League, as are Somalia

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Count Roland posted:

Arab colonists and slave traders, actually. Same reason there's a city in Tanzania named Dar es Salaam.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jun 22, 2014

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah, East Africa has had some strong Arab influence for centuries. That said, I definitely wouldn't put the Comoros into a middle eastern grouping.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The secret reason this is politically-loaded is because it has Arabic as a European language.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
From Arabic root meaning to drink vs. From Arabic root meaning to reject

Turks and Persians don't give a gently caress. :v:

3peat
May 6, 2010

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
That's amazing. Interesting that the borders of Székely land don't show up clearly at all. (Or am I just missing something obvious?)

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

SaltyJesus posted:

That's amazing. Interesting that the borders of Székely land don't show up clearly at all. (Or am I just missing something obvious?)
Could be it only shows actual Romanian dialects, not languages spoken within Romania. It does say "in Romanian".

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Not sure if this counts as "politically loaded" but I'm sure we can have arguments about how Oklahoma sucks because it only has a lovely D-list movie that was made fun of by RiffTrax.

EDIT: Just noticed Giant Spider Invasion in Wisconsin, one riffed by MST3k proper, touche.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
How on Earth is "An American Crime" a horror movie?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Also, how did they decide to put Carrie for Maine. Isn't every single Stephen King's horror book/movie located there?

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Could be it only shows actual Romanian dialects, not languages spoken within Romania. It does say "in Romanian".

I know but I would have assumed the Romanian spoken in that area would be influenced by Hungarian, like the stretch of land on the Hungarian border that uses "dobă" from Hungarian "dob".

e: It probably is but not for this particular word. I was just surprised it doesn't show up at all.

SaltyJesus fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jun 22, 2014

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86

Phlegmish posted:

There was actually a Sino-Albanian split. That's right, by the end of the Cold War Albania considered itself to be the only properly communist country in the world.

I'm a junche hoxaist third wolrdist :commissar:

greater Yugoslavia as claimed by Tito right after ww2

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

A Buttery Pastry posted:

From Arabic root meaning to drink vs. From Arabic root meaning to reject

Turks and Persians don't give a gently caress. :v:

Supposedly there were significant numbers of vineyards up until 1979 in Iran.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

:tito::tito:Ah, what could have been, and may yet be!:tito::tito:

e: No, gently caress it. We should've claimed some of Turkey too. Constantinople is SerbYugoslavia!

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

SaltyJesus posted:

:tito::tito:Ah, what could have been, and may yet be!:tito::tito:

e: No, gently caress it. We should've claimed some of Turkey too. Constantinople is SerbYugoslavia!

Yeah, that map really looks incomplete.

There, much better :tito:

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Disco Infiva posted:

I love this thread so much.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

computer parts posted:

Supposedly there were significant numbers of vineyards up until 1979 in Iran.

Iran has a long, long winemaking tradition. Shiraz being the most common example we get in the west.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Disco Infiva posted:

I think we have good arguments to claim Corfu as well. :tito:

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
That's true.

I think it would be pretty sweet irony to claim both Constantinople and Vienna, considering the history of the Austro-Hungarian and Ottoman empires in the Balkans.

E: Unrelated, I remembered an old comedy sketch which illustrates the quality of irredentist debate in the Balkans.

Serbian guy: We Serbs are the most ancient peoples.
Croatian guy: Older than us, the Croats? Who came all the way from Persia?!
S: Because we Serbs came first, from space. Soooome, roughly 200 billion years ago. Then you Croats came from Persia.
C: How many billions of years ago?
S: Something like half a billion years ago. Then came the Illyrians, then the amoebas, and then the Jews.

From the same sketch:

C: I have information that you are somewhat obsessed with Serbdom.
S: I am a Yugoslav! Then with what love remains from Yugoslavia, I love Serbia a liiitle bit.

SaltyJesus fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 22, 2014

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

A couple of strange things with this: no borders in Africa? And why would anyone care about the scale?

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

Disco Infiva posted:

Also, how did they decide to put Carrie for Maine. Isn't every single Stephen King's horror book/movie located there?

It's a short title that is both well-recognized and fits within the borders of Maine. Although, I guess "It" would have worked as well.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

mcustic posted:

I think we have good arguments to claim Corfu as well. :tito:

as Fourth Rome :tito: has rightful claims to most of Europe, but let's be realistic here

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Disco Infiva posted:

Mu Cow posted:

It's a short title that is both well-recognized and fits within the borders of Maine. Although, I guess "It" would have worked as well.
I'm more amused that they chose "Tremors" for Nevada; I guess you could say it has horror elements, but "Horror Movie" is definitely not the first thing that comes to my mind for Tremors. For one thing, the movie's actually good.:v:

I notice Alaska and Hawaii are missing, can anyone come up with a horror movie for each of those places?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Disco Infiva posted:

Carrie is probably the most popular of King's movies set in Maine.

Also

Lycus posted:

How on Earth is "An American Crime" a horror movie?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The second-largest religion in each US State

source: http://www.npr.org/blogs/theprotojournalist/2014/06/21/322919723/the-runner-up-religions-of-america

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

fade5 posted:

I notice Alaska and Hawaii are missing, can anyone come up with a horror movie for each of those places?

30 Days of Night

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

fade5 posted:

Fifty First Dates

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Not sure if this counts as "politically loaded" but I'm sure we can have arguments about how Oklahoma sucks because it only has a lovely D-list movie that was made fun of by RiffTrax.

EDIT: Just noticed Giant Spider Invasion in Wisconsin, one riffed by MST3k proper, touche.

It's been a while, but I think most of Near Dark took place in Oklahoma, and that was a really good movie.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Freudian posted:

Fifty First Dates

Lmao

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

I had no idea Wolf took place in Vermont.

It doesn't even make sense...there aren't any wolves here!

Though I guess since it's a werewolf, it doesn't matter.

"What Lies Beneath" is probably the (slightly) better horror movie that takes place here, but I guess the title is too long.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 26, 2014

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

I had no idea Wolf took place in Vermont.

It doesn't even make sense...there aren't any wolves here!
Don't they sometimes cross the border from Canada?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Ehhhh, it's possible. But here's their official range:

They aren't in southern Quebec, either, so it'd have to travel a long ways.

Most wolf sightings in the US, outside of a few select areas, are just coyotes or wild dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Disco Infiva posted:

What happened to the claims on Austria?