Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Pwny_Xpress posted:

This is like Chael's way of vindicating himself for all those sloppy submission losses. In theory.

In that case they should've tried to get Jeremy Horn. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Jeremy Horn in Metamoris would rule a whole lot

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-8GOrnTgAU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

I am so legit pumped for this.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Secret Match

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Seriously, just admit you haven't got a sixth one signed yet. It's okay, we understand. All 5 announced matches look really cool though.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

I think Ralek said something about the secret match being some weird thing where not even the two competitors would know who they were facing beforehand. Seems like it would be hard to keep a lid on though.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Yea he talked about it on the MMA Hour. Basically he got two guys near the same weight and experience and they'll be announced day of so they can't gameplan. I don't think he's making it up for more buzz, the card is stacked already for their standards.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I'm surprised they didn't play up Kron's legacy and at least show Kit Dale.

The secret match concept sounds kind of cool. Dudes not being able to game plan should be real interesting.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

BlindSite posted:

I'm surprised they didn't play up Kron's legacy and at least show Kit Dale.

The secret match concept sounds kind of cool. Dudes not being able to game plan should be real interesting.

It's an interesting idea, but I wonder how "secret" it's going to stay given how small the grappling community is. That's why TUF eventually started having just about everyone on the season get a fight on the finale; the NDA usually got people to keep a lid on how they actually did, but keeping people from figuring out which guys were fighting on the finale and which weren't was just a logistical impossibility given that they had to have a training camp for it.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
So real talk...Look at my Av - I obviously want Chael Sonnen to somehow submit Galvao by double leg, but is this Serra vs GSP II levels of NOT GOING TO HAPPEN?

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Captain Log posted:

So real talk...Look at my Av - I obviously want Chael Sonnen to somehow submit Galvao by double leg, but is this Serra vs GSP II levels of NOT GOING TO HAPPEN?

Yes

Edit: could chael survive without getting tapped? Yeah, he could. Is he going to tap galvao: no way

Dangersim fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 28, 2014

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
Chris Weidman vs. Andre Galvao - ADCC 2009: http://youtu.be/uErAQSWCvWc

Here's weidman-galvao from ADCC in 2009.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Chael is probably a better grappler than people give him credit for, but Galvao right now is top of the food chain in his weight class.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Soooo....Chael is hosed? Right?

Is this a, "Please God don't get tapped moral victory draw" situation?

Either way I'm excited.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Weird posts.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Captain Log posted:

Soooo....Chael is hosed? Right?

Is this a, "Please God don't get tapped moral victory draw" situation?

Either way I'm excited.

I wouldn't say he's hosed. Outside of the octagon, anyone who's rolled with Chael has said nothing but praise. I know all of his triangle losses are quite hilarious, but that's happening in an MMA context not a grappling one.

Is Chael a huge underdog? Certainly. Is he very unlikely to win and would still be lucky to draw? Absolutely. However, he is a drat fine grappler and isn't someone who ever stops to rest. He always will push the pace and it should be a very fun match.

Also he's certainly going to be juiced to the gills.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

He has a note from his mom that says his balls are tiny so it's OK.

edit: I know this joke has been made a lot but I actually had a buddy arguing that of COURSE he had to be on stuff because he had been on stuff before but that was fine because it was allowed.

Sweaty IT Nerd fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 28, 2014

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

Thry should make a rule where Dean and Josh have to wear shirts.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Sprecherscrow posted:

Seriously, just admit you haven't got a sixth one signed yet.

There was a temporary setback where they tried to approach Schaub about a return and he kept backing away.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

JohnsonsJohnson posted:

Thry should make a rule where Dean and Josh have to wear shirts.

I don't know if it will be in the contract, but as of yet Metamoris has had no shirtless competitors in the no-gi matches.

Solomonic posted:

There was a temporary setback where they tried to approach Schaub about a return and he kept backing away.

:golfclap:

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Sprecherscrow posted:

I don't know if it will be in the contract, but as of yet Metamoris has had no shirtless competitors in the no-gi matches.

:golfclap:

I'd say that's because most of the dudes who've been competing have been no strangers to no gi grappling comps and likely wanted more friction. I could see Chael going without one if that was an option to make it harder for Galvao to work his guard.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I think the whole friction thing is just something people on forums talk about. IRL people just train.

Carborundum
Feb 21, 2013
I won't roll shirtless with anyone IRL because poo poo is gross.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

So here's the official word on Chael's participation:

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
that's a lot of words for "We want to congratulate Chael on a healthy pregnancy and advancing performance science! See you August 9th!"

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

always be closing posted:

I think the whole friction thing is just something people on forums talk about. IRL people just train.

I dunno man, it's a lot easier to rip a bare arm out of an arm bar then with a rash guard

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Dangersim posted:

I dunno man, it's a lot easier to rip a bare arm out of an arm bar then with a rash guard

I wasnt saying they dont wear them. Everyone does(no hingworm), its just not a tactical thing like it seems to be on forums. just trane

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

always be closing posted:

I wasnt saying they dont wear them. Everyone does(no hingworm), its just not a tactical thing like it seems to be on forums. just trane

It is a tactical thing which is why people like Weidman in the video above went without one when everyone of his training videos he's wearing a rash guard.

When I've done no gi comps, specifically one done in a cage so you don't have to be reset for going out of bounds or whatever, dudes there got rid of their rashies when they were told they didn't have to wear one. It's hard to keep under hooks and lock down a triangle without one. I've got a good triangle, it's pretty much the only thing other than arm bars I can pull off with a high percentage and not having the rashie made it a lot harder once we'd been going for a few minutes.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

If anyone needs more reasons as to why kit dale owns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYwWYRCB3sk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRwhF9GSv9c

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

MagicCube posted:

So here's the official word on Chael's participation:

lmao

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

I also just read that apparently Lister vs. Barnett is going to be for a title and the winner will face Buchecha at the next event.
http://fightland.vice.com/blog/ralek-gracie-on-art-metamoris-and-chael-sonnen (bottom of article)

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
How are they planning on having titles if it's so easy for matches to end in a draw?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Seltzer posted:

How are they planning on having titles if it's so easy for matches to end in a draw?

yellow cards.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Seltzer posted:

To be the man, you gotta beat the man

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

fatherdog posted:

To be the man, you gotta beat the man

But how will they have a man to begin with? Will the Buchecha match be a three way dance?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Sprecherscrow posted:

But how will they have a man to begin with? Will the Buchecha match be a three way dance?

If Metamoris actually booked a triple threat grappling match, I would buy the stream, the replay and three tshirts.

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011

Sprecherscrow posted:

You...might have invented something beautiful..

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
My professor did a pretty cool interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcXhJ2YqpA4

He talks mainly on his experience as an IBJJF referee and the current rule set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
Kenny Florian is competing at Metamoris 4.

Here we are, a jiu jitsu card I'm anticipating more than a UFC card. Congratulations, you guys did it, you won.

Metamoris 4
Los Angeles, California
Saturday, August 9, 2014

Andre Galvao x Chael Sonnen
Saulo Ribeiro x Rodrigo Long
Dean Lister x Josh Barnett
Keenan Cornelius x Vinny Magalhaes
Kit Dale x Garry Tonon
Secret Fight: Kenny Florian x opponent not yet announced