Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's the opposite of a trope, because you're not picking them out of some lovely, ever-expanding list compiled by brain-damaged internet people who think they're funny. Rather you come up with a character's background like normal, and then you summarize a few important aspects of that background in a form that's short enough to write on a character sheet, and you stick a number next to them, and then you use that number as a bonus whenever you roll to do something where that part of the background would be relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

As far as I can tell it's just the skill system, except you have freedom to make up your own skills rather than pick them from a list.

There's a pretty good Let's Play of the system which gives a good idea of what it's like.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah pretty much, plus skills are at the same time broader and tighter than in D&D. Like when you write down "Circus Acrobat" that may not in itself cover absolutely everything the Acrobatics skill does, but you get the bonus whenever something comes up in the game where you'd say "a circus acrobat would be pretty good at this", including things like knowing how to talk to carnies, figuring out which one is likely to be the director's cart etc.

Gotta say though, love 13th Age but Roy figuring out Durkon's deal right now with a roll wouldn't make for a terribly good story development the way this thing is set up right now.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Gotta say though, love 13th Age but Roy figuring out Durkon's deal right now with a roll wouldn't make for a terribly good story development the way this thing is set up right now.

Of course. It was a jab at the 3.5 Fighter more than a complaint. This is the best thing (er, character development-wise) that's happened to Durkon. Now every OOTS fan wants him to have more screentime!

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

My Lovely Horse posted:

Yeah pretty much, plus skills are at the same time broader and tighter than in D&D. Like when you write down "Circus Acrobat" that may not in itself cover absolutely everything the Acrobatics skill does, but you get the bonus whenever something comes up in the game where you'd say "a circus acrobat would be pretty good at this", including things like knowing how to talk to carnies, figuring out which one is likely to be the director's cart etc.

The thing that annoyed me the most about D&D was that my half-orc could not intimidate anyone, while the pixie bard was great at it (despite being built as a polite diplomat).

Dogs in the Vineyard has a skill system that's similar to how 13th age sounds, and there's no problem at all using skills like "I can bench-press my horse" to help you win a debate or a gun fight.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Not only can your half-orc intimidate people in 13th Age, he can also do it using whatever ability score you want! The default mode is less "roll a skill" and more "roll an appropriate ability check, and add an applicable background."

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty much assuming Durk kills Belkar at this point.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Eifert Posting posted:

I'm pretty much assuming Durk kills Belkar at this point.

That would certainly be an obvious thing to happen.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

And makes him into an undead, what with the coy "will draw his last breath" thing and being a cleric of Hel and all.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

My Lovely Horse posted:

And makes him into an undead, what with the coy "will draw his last breath" thing and being a cleric of Hel and all.

That, on the other hand, sounds pretty boring.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

He's going to get killed/die in a second to last panel on a page, the last panel being the Oracle looking at the viewer and saying "Hey, not all of my predictions are said cryptically. I said he was going to die, so he died. Go on home, show's over!"

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

My Lovely Horse posted:

Even undead have to draw breath to talk. No way you'd make Belkar into a non-verbal undead. Snarky comments are half his character.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

DrakePegasus posted:

How so? Seriously, convincing others to try and play this game is very important to me, and a key stumbling block is that I have to pitch it to people who are all but married to older systems. I'd like to know what you think.

That kind of direct evangelism annoys people, especially when you admit that's what you're doing.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Angela Christine posted:

Even undead have to draw breath to talk. No way you'd make Belkar into a non-verbal undead. Snarky comments are half his character.
Maybe there will be a screw up and he'll become a lich.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

IMJack posted:

That kind of direct evangelism annoys people, especially when you admit that's what you're doing.

Also I think reducing the Durkon-Roy thing to a die roll (when one of the strengths of most non-D&D systems is avoiding things like that) was a bad way to sell it.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Angela Christine posted:

Undead probably talk through magic, not air. Xykon certainly has no trouble talking without a pair of lungs, or even when he's reduced down to just a skull, or a pair of eyes lurking in his phylactery.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Angela Christine posted:

Non-corporeal undead like ghosts and spectres probably don't breathe to talk.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

IIRC, when a speech bubble's black the character's using negative energy to talk.

And then you get some undead characters (e.g. Malack) who still use their windpipe (presumably to keep up the pretence that he was not a vampire to Durkon)

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
So, um:

new strip: Takes One To Know One

Hardest I've laughed at a oots comic in a while.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Oh, right. Lurky can dominate the entire Order nearly at will because only Roy has anything remotely like a Will save. That's disconcerting.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

That was good. I particularly liked how it shed light on why exactly Belkar's not buying the Durkon act - his understanding of character development would shame Elan. The only thing I have to wonder is whether the Vampire was hoping Belkar would fall to his death or was just screwing with him.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

DrakePegasus posted:

Oh, right. Lurky can dominate the entire Order nearly at will because only Roy has anything remotely like a Will save. That's disconcerting.

Actually, V probably has a respectable Will save as well. Elan might too, though it really depends on how many levels he's taken in his prestige class and whether or not it gets a good bonus to Will.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Well, in terms of the WIS stat, V's is mediocre and Elan is through the floor.

Haley might have a decent Will save, has it ever been shown?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

So I guess Belkar took Favored Enemy: Undead at some point. (:thesperg:)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

W.T. Fits posted:

Actually, V probably has a respectable Will save as well. Elan might too, though it really depends on how many levels he's taken in his prestige class and whether or not it gets a good bonus to Will.

I'd be kinda surprised if it didn't because what kind of Dashing Swordsman isn't strong-willed?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

MikeJF posted:

Well, in terms of the WIS stat, V's is mediocre and Elan is through the floor.

Haley might have a decent Will save, has it ever been shown?

Who cares about your WIS score at that level, though? As a primary caster, V's class Will save is through the roof.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah but he has a -2! A WHOLE MINUS 2!

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Well, that could be interesting, Vamp Durkon doing bad things and Belkar chastizing/complaining about it, its an interesting role-reversal from the early days.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Shugojin posted:

I'd be kinda surprised if it didn't because what kind of Dashing Swordsman isn't strong-willed?

But it's more dramatic for you to fail your Will save at first, then in the next battle be more determined and make the save at a key moment.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

HisMajestyBOB posted:

But it's more dramatic for you to fail your Will save at first, then in the next battle be more determined and make the save at a key moment.

Come to think of it, it was Elan who twigged to the problems in the Grand Illusion first...

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Dolash posted:

The only thing I have to wonder is whether the Vampire was hoping Belkar would fall to his death or was just screwing with him.
He saw a threat to his mission and set to remove it efficiently. It's played for laughs but that's a pretty grim moment if you think about it. Vampire Durkon knows he could kill Belkar without much consequence because the rest of the team still sees him as a liability, particularly Roy.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Here's to a great update, at a timely pace, for once. Let's hope we're getting right back into the swing of things again.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
I think Durkula just made the first of the mistakes that will end up his undoing. This was the first real time that he gave off a 'a demon wearing Durkon's skin' vibe instead of 'Durkon now undead' vibe. I suspect its not ordering Belkar to jump that will cause him later problems, but the idea that he can that will make him keep making little slip ups until it all falls apart.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I dunno, I think we'll end up with a 'Belkar who cried Durkon' kind of story, where we'll see the jolly little halfling attacked and not believed until he's dead. Only the will Roy accept that his best bud has been hijacked for the last few weeks.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

nimby posted:

I dunno, I think we'll end up with a 'Belkar who cried Durkon' kind of story, where we'll see the jolly little halfling attacked and not believed until he's dead. Only the will Roy accept that his best bud has been hijacked for the last few weeks.

It'd be an interesting emotional thing for Roy to go through, where he wanted Belkar to die just to be rid of him, and when he does it's to show him the worst possible thing Roy could suffer right now.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

If he hadn't snagged on the boat, would Belkar have died? As a high level ranger/barbarian at full health, he can fall quite a long way, can't he?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
He has a cape, he would just flare it like Super Mario.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Just link the new comic people.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0957.html

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

ikanreed posted:

So, um:

new strip: Takes One To Know One

Hardest I've laughed at a oots comic in a while.

Just read the thread people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Huh, my mistake then, sorry about that.