Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Fag Boy Jim posted:

The main cool thing about this was that the press spun it as it being good because Ken Levine now gets to make indie games.

:barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's cool that Ken Levine had two jobs as project director of BS:I, which were to get the game out on time, and under budget, and he badly failed at both of those duties, and somehow is a genius.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
who needs triple A development teams when you can make millions on kickstarter with lies and empty promises?

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

AHungryRobot posted:

who needs triple A development teams when you can make millions on kickstarter with lies and empty promises?

hey now, double fine actually made a game! Well half of one. It's good too, wish they'd hurry up with the second half though.

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013
would the walking dead game be improved by adding actual gameplay

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

here's an important question to ask yourself if you're trying to figure out whether or not something is a game: who the gently caress cares

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'is gone home a video game?'
'will you ever get laid?'
'the answer to both these questions is no!!!!!!!'

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

Meis posted:

hey now, double fine actually made a game! Well half of one. It's good too, wish they'd hurry up with the second half though.

Too bad they need more money for Elijah Wood and Jack Black because who knows what kind of pile of poo poo it would be without Hollywood voice acting.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Gaspar Lewis posted:

Too bad they need more money for Elijah Wood and Jack Black because who knows what kind of pile of poo poo it would be without Hollywood voice acting.

lol jesus christ

Dec 26, 2012

Endorph posted:

'is gone home a video game?'
'will endorph ever make a good post?'
'the answer to both these questions is no!!!!!!!'

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
here is who you should consider for voice actor roles:

1) professional voice actors
2) b/c-list hollywood/tv genre actors that people who play your game will recognize, and like (see: schultz, dwight)
3) the developers of your game

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013
lol at bethesda for blowing their load on getting picard, then doing the exact same thing with f3

Dec 26, 2012

i recommend blowing hundreds of thousands of dollars on patrick stewart to be in your game for five minutes, instead.

e: beaten during preview lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Jim Ward is my favorite professional voice actor, he was the weird-accented radio guy in FEAR and Doktor in MGR:R

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

4) Phil LaMarr, if your character is black, or an alien that is kind of black

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also true

also the best celebrity voice actor is whoever voiced ansem in the first kingdom hearts

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

save money, just hire nolan north to voice every single character in your game

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Titty Warlord posted:

lol at bethesda for blowing their load on getting picard, then doing the exact same thing with f3

it was worth it over FNV's pathetic choices of Rawls from The Wire, Tigh from BSG, Danny Trejo, and Michael Dorn. not a single a-lister.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Fag Boy Jim posted:

it was worth it over FNV's pathetic choices of Rawls from The Wire, Tigh from BSG, Danny Trejo, and Michael Dorn. not a single a-lister.

FNV has Odo from DS9 in it, also.

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013

Fag Boy Jim posted:

every a lister in videogames always give a lovely performance so w/e

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Titty Warlord posted:

every a lister in videogames always give a lovely performance so w/e

That's my point, OP. I was making a joke.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Who was Rawls?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Who was Rawls?

Caesar.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Oh, cool.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
somehow i didnt realize dorn was also maero in sr2. thats cool

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

He's really good in his role, not someone you'd expect, but one that makes sense at the same time.

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013

Fag Boy Jim posted:

That's my point, OP. I was making a joke.

im a tard

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

you're a stupid drunk baby

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Most games should not have voice acting at all, especially indie games

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

mabels big day posted:

don't starve did a good job w this

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Games that do the Banjo Kazooie style grunts in place of actual voice acting ftw.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Games that do the Banjo Kazooie style grunts in place of actual voice acting ftw.

HELL yes.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
gilbert gottfried should voice all game characters

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

mabels big day posted:

i'm trying to think of an indie game with good voice acting and i can't think of anything, so I can only conclude that you're right.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
EYE has great VA

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
DROD does the venerable "have people who post on your official forums do the voice acting" method and it's really bad but endearing

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you guys are all objectively wrong because Conker's Bad Fur Day exists and it is the greatest literary masterpiece and it would not be the same without the horrible low-quality voice acting recorded by angry british people who make platforming games for children as a career choice

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 7, 2014

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013
totalbiscuit did VA for S.P.A.Z. which always makes me lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dan mcneely did voice acting for dust: an elysium tail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

im pooping on this thread