Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Jeffrey posted:

he can do what he likes and I'm going to continue making fun of him on these here internet forums, seems like a fair balance of power

Agreed.

I don't really hate the man for not writing (especially after ADWD), and it's not like the ending will be lost with him or anything. He's just a fucker and I'm just the guy who's going to laugh when this inevitably all goes wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I can see it from both sides. The hate is pretty ugly and mostly unwarranted...but at the same time I really don't buy that he's making a real effort.

all I can think of is

250 words per day

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 9, 2014

WhenInRome
Jun 17, 2011
i mean it must kind of suck to realize that people only care if you live or die so that you can finish a book series

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I'd only accept the Lyanna is the Knight theorum if when Rhaegar unmasks her, You Sexy Thing begins playing as Lyanna's hair tumbles out, windswept, in slow-motion and the camera does a vertigo shot on Rhaegar as he instantly falls in love. Throw some glitter on her and a smear of Vaseline on the lens for her shot, too.
Pretty Woman would also be acceptable.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Can we put this right at the top of the OP?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

CaptainPsyko posted:

At least use the animated one.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

WhenInRome posted:

i mean it must kind of suck to realize that people only care if you live or die so that you can finish a book series

As opposed to the vast majority of the population who can count the number of people who care whether they live or die that much on their hands.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

CaptainPsyko posted:

What image better deserves being placed in the OP, than the newly revealed cover of The Winds of Winter?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If he had a fried capon in his other hand, I'd probably just accept that as TWOW and whine about never getting ADOS instead.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I'm less anxious that he's gonna die and more disappointed the show is going to wrap up the series because their invented material has been uneven at best, sometimes brilliant, other times extremely bad and bewildering.

We're gonna get an ending but it'll be rushed and empty and weird

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Mike N Eich posted:

We're gonna get an ending but it'll be rushed and empty and weird

Whoa, spoilers dude.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Hahaha, oh, that grrm. I actually look forward to HBO to finish the series because I no longer trust grrm to be able to write a satisfying and engaging story.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
we can look forward to more gripping scenes like.....yara's well intentioned rescue attempt on reek.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
GURM used to take this poo poo in stride, and now he's getting pretty salty about it. If the books were on their way, wouldn't you just blow this stuff off? I'd imagine him being defensive is not good news for the ETA on TWoW.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I wouldn't read too much into it. That's not to say that the books aren't far away(ie never coming out), but that's true regardless of how grrm conducts himself.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 9, 2014

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

Intel&Sebastian posted:

As opposed to the vast majority of the population who can count the number of people who care whether they live or die that much on their hands.

Exactly. Why would I assume anyone but my friends and family care if I live or die?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

mkay0 posted:

GURM used to take this poo poo in stride, and now he's getting pretty salty about it. If the books were on their way, wouldn't you just blow this stuff off? I'd imagine him being defensive is not good news for the ETA on TWoW.

I assume that its due to it just being a small amount of people, but due to the show its a lot more.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
On what planet is he only 50lbs overweight?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I don't want anyone to die.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Angry stunted entitled nerds are hilarious but also terrible scum

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

bobkatt013 posted:

I assume that its due to it just being a small amount of people, but due to the show its a lot more.

Even if it's not the fanbase being bigger and stupider from the show, it's definitely pressure being ratcheted up from the moneyed interests. When the stakes were "a reasonably popular series of fantasy books being sold to nerds who read books" he probably had enough...ahem...weight to throw around that he could do poo poo like dick around all day and insist he just plain cannot write when he's on the road, but now that it's "most popular show on TV and rabidly popular book series read by everyone and their mheesa" the people with the money are likely more important than him, and angry.

He's a victim of his own success, but moreso a victim of his own terrible work ethic.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

kaujot posted:

On what planet is he only 50lbs overweight?

Compared to the American average.

Or maybe he's really, really short. Like, sub-Dinklage levels.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Jeffrey posted:

we can look forward to more gripping scenes like.....yara's well intentioned rescue attempt on reek.
Or like stuff people liked, like the Brienne/Hound encounter, or the Arya/Tywin scenes.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
I argee with George, the type of people saying to hurry up before you die are also the same type of people who don't give a poo poo about GRRM one bit. He owes them nothing.

Lycus posted:

Or like stuff people liked, like the Brienne/Hound encounter, or the Arya/Tywin scenes.

Yeah, the TV show has added more badass scenes then poo poo ones to be honest. TV Robert is better then Book Robert, same with Roose, Tywin, Bronn, Ramsay and a few others.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Jeffrey posted:

That was an amazing scene.

*Benny Hill theme plays*
*Yara & Co. file into the Dreadfort*
"Ohhhh youuuuuu!!!!!" -Ramsay
*Yara & Co. file out of the Dreadfort*

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Skrill.exe posted:

What image better deserves being placed in the OP, than the newly revealed cover of The Winds of Winter?

which one is that

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Dead Man Posting posted:

which one is that

the one i quoted, boss

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Yara Greyjoy: Afraid of Dogs

pretty great Kingsmoot campaign slogan

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

PupsOfWar posted:

Afraid of enormous mastiffs. Those dogs frightened Romans in battle too.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Shouldn't his publisher care if he gets TWOW out pre-season 6 or not? It'll be a massive run away best seller regardless, but it would be significantly less so if all the major plot points are "spoiled" before hand. If TWOW comes out in the next year, people that have never picked up a book before would line up to find out what's going to happen, while if it comes out later many would be satisfied with what they got in the TV show. His publishers are the only ones that have a real material interest in the time frame of the book release.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I'm sure they care, but if he's meeting the stipulations of his contract, I think care is all they can do.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
To be honest, I'm sure the books will sell just fine regardless of when (if) they come out. The TV show has given GRRM and ASOIAF nothing but publicity (and the media narrative in regards to fans who complain about GRRM's impending fat-death has been established roundly as a giant 'gently caress you, nerds'), so of course the books will sell. Like, who are we kidding? Most of us in this thread would be the first ones to pre-order the book. :v:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

PupsOfWar posted:

Please, the campaign against her was far more realistic: Yara Greyjoy? A woman? No thanks.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Please, the campaign against her was far more realistic: Yara Greyjoy? A woman? No thanks.

What bleeds for a week may never die? Gross, dude.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm just glad they changed her name to keep me from confusing her with that character that hasn't been in the show for 2 seasons.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Mike N Eich posted:

I'm less anxious that he's gonna die and more disappointed the show is going to wrap up the series because their invented material has been uneven at best, sometimes brilliant, other times extremely bad and bewildering.

Literally the same thing could be said about GRRM's writing, plus the show does a good job of trimming a lot of the fat. (lol)

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm just glad they changed her name to keep me from confusing her with that character that hasn't been in the show for 2 seasons.

Oh shut up. She's an uninteresting character and GRRM was a tard for making her name basically the same as another character's.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Yeah, it's a good change because Yara isn't similar to any other character's name, especially not any popular one who appears in every episode.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Majorian posted:

Oh shut up. She's an uninteresting character and GRRM was a tard for making her name basically the same as another character's.

You didn't specify which one you don't like though?

Assuming it's Osha she's like an intro to wildlings and also alive because Robb (?) showed some mercy like his daddy didn't.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

syscall girl posted:

You didn't specify which one you don't like though?

Assuming it's Osha she's like an intro to wildlings and also alive because Robb (?) showed some mercy like his daddy didn't.

Nah, I meant Asha/Yara/whatever. I like Osha.

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah, it's a good change because Yara isn't similar to any other character's name, especially not any popular one who appears in every episode.

Okay, at risk of utterly humiliating myself by showing that I don't remember a central character...who?

e: Not Arya, I assume. "Osha" and "Asha" are way closer than "Yara" is to "Arya."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Majorian posted:

Okay, at risk of utterly humiliating myself by showing that I don't remember a central character...who?

Ar ya kidding me?