Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I like to say the Japanese names for some of the characters because they're fun to pronounce. "Kuririn", "Tenshinhan", "Kamisama", "Kaiosama", "Piccolo Daimao", etc. I'm not a purist or anything like that. Dragon Ball/Z is the only anime I've watched with any sort of regularity. I don't own any DVDs or manga. I've been watching the Japanese DBZ on Hulu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

StrifeHira posted:

I always compromise: The World Champ's name is Mr. Mark "Hercule" Satan. "Hercule" is his stage name.

That way all of them are correct. :colbert:

I like this too. :3:

I've never actually read the manga's 'cept for 1 book and that was DB. Worth it? I'm asking about both DB and DBZ here.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The manga is way better than the anime. There's really no contest beyond extreme nostalgia.

The Kenster
Jun 21, 2013

First of all, that Clocktown could really use a floating celestial object of doom... With a face!
Reading the manga is the best way to (re)experience Dragon Ball save for a few filler bits like driving cars. The pacing isn't absolutely atrocious and some of the gags work a bit better in comic form.

The best part is that there's no sound so you can imagine that everyone sounds like Gilbert Gottfried and not get caught up in which voice+music combo is best.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

The Kenster posted:

Reading the manga is the best way to (re)experience Dragon Ball save for a few filler bits like driving cars. The pacing isn't absolutely atrocious and some of the gags work a bit better in comic form.

The 4th wall is literally broken in one of the first few chapters (Yamcha the Bandit fight I think?). The manga holds up pretty well compared to the original anime.

StrifeHira fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 14, 2014

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I've read some of the Part 1 manga and it's good enough. But Dragon Ball (anime) has very little filler, especially compared to DBZ. I think it holds up perfectly well, especially with how it expanded the Red Ribbon Arc. I know some feel it dragged on a bit but I liked seeing more of Silver and Violet.

AshB posted:

For the most part, I go with the American spellings of all the characters, but I still think "Son Goku" and "Mr. Satan." I don't think you even have to be a weaboo to appreciate that "Son Goku" can feel more right to some people because it's more similar to Sun Wukong. "Tien" is just weird to me because they only ever called him Tenshinhan or Ten in the subbed versions, so I could never get used to them adding an i in there for some reason.

I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!!!!

As much as I prefer the Z Cell Saga, there is no arguing Kai Frieza Saga is so, so much better. That scene is the icing on the cake.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I'm rewatching Battle of Gods at the moment. I really hope they make a sequel, Bills and Whis are really awesome characters. Sure, the fight wasn't great, but I'd really just love to see another movie with them hanging out with the usual cast for the majority of the movie.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
What's the problem with Son Goku anyway? It's just his name. Westernize it and it becomes Goku Son. Gohan Son, son of Goku... Son.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Factory Factory posted:

What's the problem with Son Goku anyway? It's just his name. Westernize it and it becomes Goku Son. Gohan Son, son of Goku... Son.

It'll always be Mago Gosura to me...

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

StrifeHira posted:

The 4th wall is literally broken in one of the first few chapters (Yamcha the Bandit fight I think?). The manga holds up pretty well compared to the original anime.

Yeah, Yamucha punches Goku and he ricochets off the panel border and breaks it :allears:

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

NikkolasKing posted:

I've read some of the Part 1 manga and it's good enough. But Dragon Ball (anime) has very little filler, especially compared to DBZ. I think it holds up perfectly well, especially with how it expanded the Red Ribbon Arc. I know some feel it dragged on a bit but I liked seeing more of Silver and Violet.

The filler gets a lot worse in DB just after the Red Ribbon Saga, coincidentally. To the point where there are like five episode blocks of nothing but filler.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Sure, the fight wasn't great, but I'd really just love to see another movie with them hanging out with the usual cast for the majority of the movie.

Yeah but that's kind of a problem when it's like 7 minutes long and the resolution to the films central conflict.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

Yeah but that's kind of a problem when it's like 7 minutes long and the resolution to the films central conflict.

Totally, but I still love about three-fourths of the movie. That's a lot better than like, half of the films.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Prison Warden posted:

Yeah, Yamucha punches Goku and he ricochets off the panel border and breaks it :allears:

No one else Goku fought could do that. Clearly, Yamcha was so strong he could literally break the fourth wall, but he used all his energy in that attack.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WickedHate posted:

No one else Goku fought could do that. Clearly, Yamcha was so strong he could literally break the fourth wall, but he used all his energy in that attack.

Uh, excuse me?

:colbert:

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Arale should've participated in the Cell Games and beaten Cell.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Squallege posted:

Yes.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Why would a robot grow up?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Squallege posted:

We should have been shown Arale sleeping through Buu's Genocide Attack.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

e X posted:

Annual updates to stop her from feeling like Claudia from Interview With A Vampire?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

It didn't really have a strong "conflict" though. The whole movie was so happy go lucky - with a villain who was looking for any excuse -not- to blow up the planet, mostly to being lazy as hell. Toriyama stuff is so much better than Toei stuff, really.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

e X posted:

This. Confusing. More confusing: Is she blasting him one in the jaw AND kicking him in the dick at the same time?

Also awesome.

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-07-15/dragon-ball-z-gets-new-2015-film-by-creator-toriyama/.76681

Another Dragonball Z film next year? Hopefully it's as hilarious as Born of the Gods while also improving the action a bit.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!!!!

As much as I prefer the Z Cell Saga, there is no arguing Kai Frieza Saga is so, so much better. That scene is the icing on the cake.

Wow. That's so bad it looped over to good.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I was going to check out Battle of the Gods but I think I'm going to wait until there's a dubbed version. I'd never heard Goku's Japanese voice before today and it was definitely something. Did he just keep using the same voice from the beginning of Dragon Ball?

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

YggiDee posted:

I was going to check out Battle of the Gods but I think I'm going to wait until there's a dubbed version. I'd never heard Goku's Japanese voice before today and it was definitely something. Did he just keep using the same voice from the beginning of Dragon Ball?

Yes, she's been doing the same Goku voice since episode 1 of Dragon Ball.

Also same Gohan, Bardock, Goten, etc. voice.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Super Saiyan God 2

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

slev posted:

Super Saiyan God 2
Channel the zeitgeist - Super Saiyan Titan Form

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Cardboard Box A posted:

Channel the zeitgeist - Super Saiyan Titan Form

GT was way ahead of its time.

(AoT manga spoilers) It wouldn't be the first Monkey Titan

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Goku becomes a Super Saiyan Agnostic.
He might have the power of Super Saiyan God, but he's not sure.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

YggiDee posted:

Good news - it'll be out in theaters in 20 days.

http://www.dragonballz.com/battleofgods/

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Cozz posted:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-07-15/dragon-ball-z-gets-new-2015-film-by-creator-toriyama/.76681

Another Dragonball Z film next year? Hopefully it's as hilarious as Born of the Gods while also improving the action a bit.

Someone's been playing too much Theros block...

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?

AlternateNu posted:

Someone's been playing too much Theros block...

Goku should have punched Heliod in the face to save Elspeth.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

Cozz posted:

Yesyesyesyesyes this is the best news ever. Toriyama's rambling about his editors again, so you just know it's gonna be even better than BoG!

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Hobo Siege posted:

Yesyesyesyesyes this is the best news ever. Toriyama's rambling about his editors again, so you just know it's gonna be even better than BoG!

Even his first editor liked it!

Coincidentally, I really do think that's a reason that Toriyama is still good. He never seems to have let fame get to his head and ditch the editors.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Holy poo poo the art for DBM's upcoming special looks so weird. Not bad, but...think Dragon Ball as painted as some kind of noir comic.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I like this new special's art.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Has anybody ever wondered why exactly the DBZ Movies are so popular? I mean, a ton of anime, especially big name shounen, have these stupid anime original movies but nobody ever talks about the villains in the Naruto or One Piece movies. They certainly got nothing on Broly or Cooler who are as famous as any of the "real villains."

I guess it could simply be a side-effect of DBZ Mania. Pokemon's first couple movies are pretty well known after all.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I think it's DBZ being so old, all the characters solidified in the current generation's minds more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
It helps that the villain's name is right on the title or box art (Cooler's Revenge, Broly the Legendary Super Sayain). With the Pokemon movies people remember whatever legendary is on the box but not anything else, and who cares about Naruto movies? :v:

Point is, it's all marketing.

• Locked thread