Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
musouka
Apr 24, 2009

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

I am almost 100% certain the Sabagebu anime is not shoujo

It is. The source material is serialized in Nakayoshi, which is indisputably a shoujo magazine. (Same magazine that used to run Sailormoon, as a matter of fact.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

chumbler posted:

To be fair, with the way it's going there will probably be at least one heavily shoujo portion of a future episode.

Sabagebu has gotten even dumber and better in its second episode. The main character is also a total unapologetic rear end in a top hat and it's great.

The main character is a hilarious rear end in a top hat. I'm surprised by how much I laughed at it

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Sabagebu and Nozaki are primarily comedies. The difference between demographics is not as notable there.
I must also concur that Sabagebu is getting stupider in the best possible way.

On other notes:
Majimoji Rurumo is based on a manga by the author of "Weak Pedals", and it has that same style of jokes. On the downside it has an annoying amount of fanservice.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

boredsatellite posted:

Nozaki is Shounen actually. And having just watched the next episode I am confident it will be the funniest show of the season. Everyone should watch it

According to Baka-updates one of the places it's published is called "Shoujo Romance Web Girly". Which seems like an odd name for a shounen magazine. Even if it is a web thing :v:

musouka posted:

It is. The source material is serialized in Nakayoshi, which is indisputably a shoujo magazine. (Same magazine that used to run Sailormoon, as a matter of fact.)

Maybe it was a joke about how the anime is even less shoujo than the source material (which was already pretty atypical, I think)? The manga had a fashion competition instead of an airsoft battle at the gun store, for example.

I think overall the adaptation has been pretty decent. Playing up the main character's assholishness a little earlier than the manga is a good idea because it really is the core of the show's comedy. And most of the changes have been to add a bit more action which makes sense since animation is a lot better at that then drawings are.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
In ep2 of Akame ga Kill I enjoyed seeing everyone laugh at him when he called them assassins of justice.
So far it's looking good for this show.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Joshlemagne posted:

According to Baka-updates one of the places it's published is called "Shoujo Romance Web Girly". Which seems like an odd name for a shounen magazine. Even if it is a web thing :v:

Maybe it was a joke about how the anime is even less shoujo than the source material (which was already pretty atypical, I think)? The manga had a fashion competition instead of an airsoft battle at the gun store, for example.

I think overall the adaptation has been pretty decent. Playing up the main character's assholishness a little earlier than the manga is a good idea because it really is the core of the show's comedy. And most of the changes have been to add a bit more action which makes sense since animation is a lot better at that then drawings are.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

"I surrender."
Shoots her.
"It's a tie."
Shoots her.

Best MC

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Basically the protagonist from Binbougami ga got transplanted into C3-bu and everything is much better for it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Blhue posted:

Basically the protagonist from Binbougami ga got transplanted into C3-bu and everything is much better for it.

It's even better because she's a complete reversal of the typical "Nice, doormat newcomer gets forced into club and bullied until they come to understand each other" storyline. No, gently caress that. ~Mokarin~ ain't gonna let that poo poo happen.

Also somebody should make a Nozaki thread. Show of the season.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 13, 2014

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
seo_laughing.gif

Nozaki-kun still really great.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Nozaki's Best Character does not disappoint. Y'all should be watching this show.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Nozaki-kun is the greatest thing and everyone should watch it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Blhue posted:

Basically the protagonist from Binbougami ga
Okay, you got me. Now I'll give it a shot.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Checked Akame again to see if the people who were still hyping it up despite everything might be on to something. Answer: nope. Second episode was less strikingly terrible than the first, but it's still not a good show. The characters are charmless, overly-anime cliches, the humour is severely forced, and while this one's less abjectly terrified of letting the audience develop an emotional connection with its events, you can still see its eyes darting for the exits/another dumb joke every time it tries to let a scene breathe.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
OK, I've updated the OP with links to the current ADTRW threads for shows airing this season, let me know if I've missed anything.

Reminder that if you're enjoying a show, a good way to get folks to check it out is to make a thread for it. You don't have to go crazy mega-effort with threads, it's just enough to describe the show and sell people on it. There is a three-episode rule limiting the number of episodes that can be discussed in this thread so as to encourage folks to make threads for them. Still a week or two out from that for most shows this season, but something to keep in mind.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
Akame ga Kill! - I thought this was going to be Bleach but it got dark and then cheese monkey wacky then gory. The tonal shifts are enough to give someone soft tissue damge. Also it kinda looks like the main character is wearing Mr. Rogers sweater. This show doesn't seem to be saying anything. Murder is praised and condemned in the same scene. No one is likable. Just no.

Sabagebu! - Survival Game Club - Better than anticipated. Some actual laughs and the combat sequences are really fun. It's self aware and the slice of life stuff is cute. Just a quirky show in general. Random platypus is dumb but whatever. Gonna three episode test this one.

Aldnoah Zero - The first episode feels like a different mecha show. Episode two is some real comic book villainy however, so kind of a wash. The main character is painfully generic, but that might be a plot point later on. Hoping for some more political machinations, we'll see if we get that. If episode three picks up, I'm in.

ARGEVOLLEN War (HUH!)What Is It Good For! (Absolutly Mecha!). Three episode test

Magimoji Rurumo Why did I watch this?

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Ulta posted:

Akame ga Kill! - I thought this was going to be Bleach but it got dark and then cheese monkey wacky then gory. The tonal shifts are enough to give someone soft tissue damge. Also it kinda looks like the main character is wearing Mr. Rogers sweater. This show doesn't seem to be saying anything. Murder is praised and condemned in the same scene. No one is likable. Just no.

best woman hasnt even showed up in that show yet. that being said just read the manga if you are interested in it. this adaptation is really not bringing anything to the series

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Akame Ga Kill is dumb, but oddly watchable.

That said, I do not blame anyone for wanting to move onto stuff that might turn out to not be dumb as gently caress.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Akame ga Kill is not really a show for people new to the story, because all its weaknesses are easily apparent early on and it takes time to get to the good parts, and it takes even longer in an anime. Like Dick Spacious said above, if you're interested, go check out the manga; read it for a while and see if it's your thing. I quite like the manga and even I'll admit that its opening arc is weak as hell.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Ulta posted:

Sabagebu! - Survival Game Club - Better than anticipated. Some actual laughs and the combat sequences are really fun. It's self aware and the slice of life stuff is cute. Just a quirky show in general. Random platypus is dumb but whatever. Gonna three episode test this one.

Show owns and the blue haired girl's fighting outfit is the one Jill wears in Resident Evil 3 and that owns.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Sabagebu is amazing if only for the main character being an rear end in a top hat in the best way possible.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Holy poo poo Sabagebu just did a reference to the loving elevator lobby shoot out from the Matrix.

Sticking to this.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Both Barakamon and Nozaki-kun are apparently published by Square Enix in Gangan Online (which looks to be a mix of Shonen and Seinen manga)

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

One think I've noticed about Akame Ga Kill is that Akame herself is a take on the main character in Yu Koyama's manga Azumi who also was bought as a child by the government to be raised as an assassin along with others, had all the other assassin children she knew die and had a friend hide a wound and die from poison. The two character's personalities are shockingly similar too.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

A trailer for that new Ghibli show in the fall has been released.....Its a 2d/3d hybrid show for some reason. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsYWw0AzMAs

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Both Sabagebu and Nozaki are really, really funny. This is probably the best comedy season since whenever High School Boys aired.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Finally started watching a bunch of stuff this season.

Aldnoah Zero is pretty interesting, but I feel like it spends way too much time infodumping and the main character is really boring and flat. Akame ga Kill was really trashy, stupid, and uneven, yet I'm kind of intrigued to see where it will go. The juxtaposition between mediocre generic shonen and gritty, ultraviolent Frank Miller-ish pulp is really awkward and doesn't mesh well at all, but it's fun enough for me to want to keep watching, at least for a little bit. Terror in Resonance is great, as expected. Tokyo Ghoul was really fun, really interested to see where that goes.

Am I the only one who can't get behind the new Sailor Moon show at all? Maybe it's because I don't have a huge attachment to the original, but it just felt like a really dull, blatant nostalgia cash-grab to me. The art is also really ugly to look at for me; it feels it combined the worst aspects of 90's and 00's animation and design.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Yeah, for Sailor Moon, it's just mostly geared towards the nostalgic people (like me :derp: ). So if you didn't care about it in the first place, you probably won't now.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
The Sailor Moon thing seems weird. As someone who hasn't actually watched much of any Sailor Moon, the general visual style for the old one seems way superior to the new one.
I'd expect this feeling would grow the more I was actually a fan of the old one, and I'm not sure who the new one is for except totally new viewers who wouldn't enjoy the really old style of the original.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
Nozaki is holding up in episode two. Everyone one get on the bandwagon bicycle built for two

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

IShallRiseAgain posted:

A trailer for that new Ghibli show in the fall has been released.....Its a 2d/3d hybrid show for some reason. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsYWw0AzMAs

That's such a shame. That computer 2D/3D/CGI never works for me -- there's something about hand drawn that can put the life into characters. Its the reason I can't watch Knights of Sidonia, all the characters look and move the same. Contrast that with some of this season's shows like Nozaki-kun and Barakamon, which have fantastic facial expressions and animation sequences that I don't know if you could do with a computer doll thing.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Fair enough, read into it a bit up to Doctor Stylish and stopping here because what the hell is going on in this thing :psyduck:

Boy the anime sure is getting gonna go to strange places. Also may of missed it but how many episodes is it supposed to be?

24 :dance:
If you've only read up to there, you haven't even met the best girl yet although I didn't think much of Leone in the manga, she's a lot more entertaining in the anime.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yesss, the best character in Nozaki-kun is played by Sawashiro Miyuki. That's exactly the voice I imagined for her and it fits perfect.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I was making jokes about is this Hanamonogatori because of it. But yeah the best character was indeed the best

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Sabagebu is pretty hilarious but only because the staff is taking very large creative liberties with it. Basically the shojo manga parts have been removed in favour of making the characters 100% more crazier. For example, a scene where the main character gives a girl her handkerchief is replaced with her beating the other character up instead. Quite a large leap.

What's interesting is that C3-bu also also took large creative liberties but Sabagebu focuses strongly on the comedy aspect instead of being a jumbo mess of genres like C3-bu was.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Sabagebu is not a jumbo mess because the team behind it is actually a team. The writer and director did the anime adaptations of Minami-ke, Mitsudomoe, Yuru Yuri, and Love Lab. They have the formula for that type of comedy down.

C3-bu was three or four people taking turns trying to tell different stories with the same characters and setting.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I've just made a thread for Monthly Girls' Nozaki, since it seems like a decent amount of people are watching it.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
You could probably have some fun getting drunk by playing Spot the Clichés with Blade Dance. Tremendously bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

darkgray posted:

You could probably have some fun getting drunk by playing Spot the Clichés with Blade Dance. Tremendously bad.

The first five minutes alone is like some sort of escalation game where the show gets 100% worse every 10 seconds.

"Well at least they haven't pulled the old...poo poo...and that...and that...AND THAT...surely they won't also throw in...poo poo. Shitshitshitshitshit."

• Locked thread