Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Mitsune posted:

I found the sets at the official LEGO retail store (specifically in Ontario Mills). The cashier told me they just put them up on the shelves this past Monday (7/14/2014). I also didn't see any hint of them in the surrounding stores (e.g. Target, Toys R Us, etc).

I am, however, so thankful LEGO numbers their bags now. Building the Imperial Shuttle was a nightmare. After a while all the white pieces started blending in together. :stonklol:

Finished build: :toot:

I finished my snow speeder, had my son find the pieces in the pictures for me and he had a blast. The hardest part was keeping him from playing with the unfinished product while I was trying to find pieces. I think next week I'm gonna pick up the AT-AT empire strikes back is my favorite Star Wars movie.

A lot of cool details in this set. Very happy with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Trans pieces and non-trans pieces have different friction rates, so they expand and bind up. It's a non-recommended technique, but they'll do it if necessary. There was a PDF a while back that went in to the non-standard techniques and the reasons why not to use them.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

rickiep00h posted:

Trans pieces and non-trans pieces have different friction rates, so they expand and bind up. It's a non-recommended technique, but they'll do it if necessary. There was a PDF a while back that went in to the non-standard techniques and the reasons why not to use them.

Still got that PDF handy? I'd be interested in reading it.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

It was actually a powerpoint, but I've saved it as a PDF.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ij0i4z8bf1014a6/brickstress.pdf

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Neurion posted:

Still got that PDF handy? I'd be interested in reading it.

I'll see if I can find it somewhere. Tomorrow at the latest.

Edit: or that ^^^^

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Found Sound posted:

Today I assembled a squad of space marines for desktop defense

That's pretty awesome, I am now wishing I had more than 3.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

rickiep00h posted:

Well I wish they wouldn't - my hand still hurts this morning! Though that's interesting to know why it's so difficult. Glad I wasn't just being some sort of idiot.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
If any Cleveland area folks are looking for the new SW sets, the Beachwood Place mall's Lego store has them all out. Got the snowspeeder, cantina, destroyer, and ATAT yesterday. Also bought the giant R2D2 model because the GF loves R2D2 and needs something to piece together while I deal with "those lumps of gray." (She doesn't get it. I missed the ATAT/Star Destroyer last time, man. :( )

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Pyroclastic posted:

It was actually a powerpoint, but I've saved it as a PDF.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ij0i4z8bf1014a6/brickstress.pdf

Oh man, I definitely did a lot of this 'illegal' connection as a kid:

I didn't know...please don't send the Lego Cops after me! :qq:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

DrBouvenstein posted:

I think if you have another load point in the other side of that brick, like a barrel or another brick, that might be okay. Having the cone ad the sole load-bearing element seems bad, though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

Isn't that why newer ones have a ridge at the tip, so it can be a "legal" connection?

My favorite quirk I've been made aware of recently is those 2x2 round bricks with the ridges on them. You can stick them to a plate rotated 45 degrees and it works just fine. Someone asked a lego employee about it, and it came back that it's "not illegal, but not recommended".

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
I don't think they have a ridge on the top, they'd have to change the shape of the cone to do that. The top part is shaped like a regular stud with straight sides, but it goes straight from that to the angled edges of the cone.

The legal method of doing that is just using 3 plates instead of a regular brick. Or any technique where it becomes impossible to push the brick down onto the cone.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Digital War posted:

I don't think they have a ridge on the top, they'd have to change the shape of the cone to do that. The top part is shaped like a regular stud with straight sides, but it goes straight from that to the angled edges of the cone.

Not anymore! :v:

This is the new style:

And the old one:

They actually changed it so that you can't jam the cone all the way into a brick, creating the pressure that the PDF was talking about.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

xzzy posted:

My favorite quirk I've been made aware of recently is those 2x2 round bricks with the ridges on them. You can stick them to a plate rotated 45 degrees and it works just fine. Someone asked a lego employee about it, and it came back that it's "not illegal, but not recommended".

You mean this guy, right?

What do you mean by sticking it to a plate at 45 degrees?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes, that brick.

I can't explain it any better.. get a 6x6 plate or something and stick the brick to it. Then pull it off, rotate it 45 degrees, and offset it so it lines up with the studs. It'll pop right into place.

It works because the stud gaps along the bottom edge are bigger than normal.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
I'm just starting to re-explore LEGO as I have a 3 and a half year old son that loves the stuff we've gotten for him so far. I had some classic space stuff as a kid, but my primary "kit" was about a cubic yard of random bricks I'm sure my mom got at a yardsale or something.

My son's been enjoying the Junior stuff in construction theme. Do they not make a lot of construction themed stuff? I saw some in the City collection but I thought it'd be a bigger representation.

For myself, do people commonly publish instructions/parts lists for their MOCs? I'm not very creative, but see some incredible stuff I would consider building. I'm not sure if build instructions are like guarded secrets or like an open community.

I'm buying that Exo Suit when it comes out :neckbeard: If I had the creativity I'd use it as a framework to build Ripley's PowerLoader. I looked up some PowerLoaders but for some reason all the stuff that's to-scale with the minifigs doesn't wow me.

Hopefully the Burlington store is not spergrushed to hell :ohdear: and I can grab one.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

uwaeve posted:

My son's been enjoying the Junior stuff in construction theme. Do they not make a lot of construction themed stuff? I saw some in the City collection but I thought it'd be a bigger representation.

There was like 6-7 I think in the last city construction theme. The large dump truck 4202 and the little dump truck w/ bobcat 4201 are pretty cool. I believe in the winter sets they have coming out this year there are another 6 or so construction themed sets too.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Mini Cooper is now available for VIPs for $99.99, with a free mini Mini Cooper.

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/VIP-Early-Access-10242

Edit: You also get the Shredder minifig if you order before July 20th. If you wait until August 25th, I think there's a free Chima mini set.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 18, 2014

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

smackfu posted:

Edit: You also get the Shredder minifig if you order before July 20th. If you wait until August 25th, I think there's a free Chima mini set.

Swooped on that, also had $10 rewards sitting around. :woop:

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

First thing I did at work was hit up Shop@Home. Got that, the mini Mini, and Shredder. :hellyeah:

And Costco was selling the Technic power crane for 50 bucks off with free shipping, so sure, why not get that too while I'm at it?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Netflix US just put up a mini documentary called Inside Lego. It goes into how the business runs and has some neat stuff from the factory floor. It's only 20 minutes.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I'm tempted to hop on that and just sell the mini model as a kind of rebate. People were getting $20-$30 for the mini VW bus.

Tighran
Jun 28, 2004

smackfu posted:

Order placed! I already have a Shredder from getting the Star Destroyer in-store, but I'm not really a fan of that or Chima either so no point in waiting. I'm curious to see what this sort of interesting type of construction they mentioned using near the bottom of the door sills is. And this will hopefully stop me from going back and getting the MTT or some City sets just yet...

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
Right now Targets are doing their summer toy clearance, a few lego sets are available. It really is a huge YMMV, but I was able to pick up the fire station today for 50% off. Other things I saw were a few chima sets, and some smaller friends sets.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

smackfu posted:

I was waiting for that so I ordered it right away, hoping it would be delivered today. But it wasn't, oh well. I already have the Shredder so I think they automatically swapped that for the Chima. (God I hope I won't have to wait until the end of august because of that.)

I also ordered Bilbo's shack because why not.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
How would I go about reversing the orientation of my bricks by 180 degrees in my Lego build? That is, in a section where all the studs are facing up, I need to make a transition so that the studs now face downwards. If they made a two sided brick it would be simple.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If space isn't a concern, brackets are the easiest (and strongest) way.

If you gotta conserve space, part 4733 and its ilk work too.

xzzy fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 19, 2014

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Another method is a bunch of technic beams with the stud pins facing both directions.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Rathina posted:

Right now Targets are doing their summer toy clearance, a few lego sets are available. It really is a huge YMMV, but I was able to pick up the fire station today for 50% off. Other things I saw were a few chima sets, and some smaller friends sets.

Walmarts, too. I've seen Jabba's Sail Barge (so close to almost pulling the trigger on that, but it was "down" to $99), the LotR ghost ship at $74, and a few other random sets, but none of them have really been things that were super compelling to me. The only set I'm really eyeing right now is Lord Business' Lair or whatever it's called, because I think Business Kitty is the only one we're missing. And, y'know, Lord Business.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Subyng posted:

How would I go about reversing the orientation of my bricks by 180 degrees in my Lego build? That is, in a section where all the studs are facing up, I need to make a transition so that the studs now face downwards. If they made a two sided brick it would be simple.

One method I've used in a few of my builds is the non-click hinge plate pairs you see below, but with one of the elements flipped.

It's only 1 plate thick, but would need a few spread out over an area to be relatively strong and stable.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm not too concerned about makings stable right now since I'm making a monstrosity in Lego Digital Designer that would never stand up on its own if it was ever built without an entire set worth of bracing structures (it's a spaceship)

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)
Was in the Brighton (UK) Lego store today, they said the Exo-suit was out on the 26th July and would be limited to 2 per customer. I think the guy said the Lady Scientists set would be around £30 (and out after the Exo-suit), and the Exo-suit more expensive, around £40-ish.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

tactical_grace posted:

Was in the Brighton (UK) Lego store today, they said the Exo-suit was out on the 26th July and would be limited to 2 per customer. I think the guy said the Lady Scientists set would be around £30 (and out after the Exo-suit), and the Exo-suit more expensive, around £40-ish.

That's hugely more expensive than in the US so I can't imagine that's right. If it is I guess I'm not getting either of those sets then :(

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Tumbler!!!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2014/07/20/lego-dark-knight-tumbler-toy-exclusive/12909645/

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

That Joker will go for so much money on ebay/bricklink.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

kensei posted:

That Joker will go for so much money on ebay/bricklink.

I could swear I saw that Joker on ebay the past few months but just assumed it was the knockoff's from china.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

One of my friends just gave me a container of a few sets including the Market Street modular. I've been using online instructions and piecing it together, but all the pieces are there as far as I've gotten so far. It's really interesting to see how far the modulars have come, having gotten the Palace Cinema, Pet Shop, and Parisian Restaurant this year. It's still a fun build, but it makes me appreciate the details of the newer models even more.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Koruthaiolos posted:

One of my friends just gave me a container of a few sets including the Market Street modular. I've been using online instructions and piecing it together, but all the pieces are there as far as I've gotten so far. It's really interesting to see how far the modulars have come, having gotten the Palace Cinema, Pet Shop, and Parisian Restaurant this year. It's still a fun build, but it makes me appreciate the details of the newer models even more.

Wow, he just gave you something like that? He had no idea what he had. Market Street alone is worth over $500 now.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Saw this earlier and it looks pretty sweet. Might have to pick it up if I get the chance.

I went to Legoland California last Wednesday; it was pretty fun, but not as much as it would have been if I were a kid or had children of my own. The miniland stuff and Lego Movie Experience were the best parts, and even though it's a ripoff at $10 per 1/4 pound, I picked up some dark azure 1x2s. I also got to draft 9 X-jets at my LUG meeting on Saturday, and I took advantage of the Toys R Us sale to get the other two sets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
There's a pretty cool story on BBC today about LEGO washing up on a beach in England.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-28367198