Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rei's eyes are red too, yeah. The odd coloring is pretty much chalked off to "is full of creepy angel genes" more than anything.

Yes, this does also mean that one of Shinji's love interests is a mutant alien clone of his mother. It is why that particular story can never, ever, have a happy ending.

This picture is basically the best I can do in terms of comparison.

Also they share the same voice actress, Megumi Hayashibara, who also voices Eva-01.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jul 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The things seems to be that she's not an exact clone of Yui, she's angel as well, so a clone of Lilith too... right? Explains the pale blue hair and red eyes.

Kaworu thinks she's just like him.

EDIT: what you said

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

Milky Moor posted:

FPR, you are kind of grating, dude.

Sorry. :smith:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Next to each other like that, I can see the similarity in their faces now. Thanks. Although I ashould mention I watch the dub for Eva just like I do all my other anime.

Finished Rebuild 1.11 or whatever you want to call it. The whole 1.0 and stuff seems needlessly convoluted but whatever. it was enjoyable enough as a retread of the first few episodes of the anime like people told me. The one part that really stuck out to me as different - and this could be entirely due to my shoddy memory - was Shinji's and Rei's talk at the end after he shoots the angel. Now I do recall the episode where he uses all the electrical power in Japan to fire the BFG but did he and her that heartfelt talk in the original too? I will admit I never paid much attention to her (I am baka gaijin and prefer Asuka) but her whole "I'm sorry, I guess I don't know what to do in situations like this" feels oddly emotive and open. The way I remember Rei she was more like a robot with only the bare minimum of expressed emotion or interaction.

I think it benefits from cutting a lot of the "filler" with his school friends. I think there's a reason that, while I knew the name Shinji and Asuka and Rei and Gendo long before I watched Eva, I never heard anyone mention the class representative and the military nerd and the other guy who was a Child but didn't do much except nearly die. Rebuild "trimmed the fat" and that's a good thing.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jul 21, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rei has her moments of emoting in the original series. She's pretty quiet and inward but she isn't completely emotionless and she'll often speak bluntly. Rebuild plays it up a little more due to the shorter running time and Shinji's connection to Rei being really central to the plot.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

NikkolasKing posted:

Next to each other like that, I can see the similarity in their faces now. Thanks. Although I ashould mention I watch the dub for Eva just like I do all my other anime.

Finished Rebuild 1.11 or whatever you want to call it. The whole 1.0 and stuff seems needlessly convoluted but whatever.

Rei and Yui share a voice actress in English too, it's just that Amanda Winn Lee is much better at altering her voice pitch than Megumi Hayashibara is. Haven't watched the Rebuild dubs so I don't know if Brina Palencia is similarly able to differentiate the performances.

The Rebuild numbering thing is an artifact of the original releases. The theatrical versions are all labeled as x.0, so the first was 1.0, second was 2.0, et cetera. The original home release of the first rebuild was 1.01, to reflect that it was basically a Directors Cut with a few extra scenes and some animation corrections, but there was an error with the encode that ended up making the picture way too dark to see properly. In response, Khara released a new DVD called 1.11, with a corrected brightness and some further alterations.

Utritum
May 2, 2009
College Slice
Anno has always said that one of his greatest regrets with the original series was giving Rei that emotional moment and having her connect with Shinji already in the end of episode 6. He wasn't sure what to do with Rei's character afterwards, and in retrospect he thought that arc could have been stretched out a bit.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

mr. stefan posted:

Rei and Yui share a voice actress in English too, it's just that Amanda Winn Lee is much better at altering her voice pitch than Megumi Hayashibara is. Haven't watched the Rebuild dubs so I don't know if Brina Palencia is similarly able to differentiate the performances.

I haven't watched Rebuild 2 yet but her performance in the first movie has given me a new appreciation for Ms. Lee's Rei. I used to think "how much difficulty is there in just whispering and trying as hard as you could not to emote?" But now I have Ms. Palencia's performance to compare it to, I see it wasn't quite as simple as I thought. I don't dislike the new voice for Rei or anything but it definitely sounds more....average? Is that the right word? Or perhaps more normal is the right one. Supposedly the intent behind Rei was to make her more creepy than sympathetic and I can see that working a lot better with the old dub voice-actress than the new one. Although like Imp said, Rebuild Rei isn't quite the same animal so I guess they each might fit their respective versions of her.

As for Yui, my memory has more holes than Swiss cheese about the TV series so I barely remember how she sounded at all. I almost want to do a re-watch as I'm frustrated with how much I have forgotten. I'm usually better at remembering shows than this.

quote:

The Rebuild numbering thing is an artifact of the original releases. The theatrical versions are all labeled as x.0, so the first was 1.0, second was 2.0, et cetera. The original home release of the first rebuild was 1.01, to reflect that it was basically a Directors Cut with a few extra scenes and some animation corrections, but there was an error with the encode that ended up making the picture way too dark to see properly. In response, Khara released a new DVD called 1.11, with a corrected brightness and some further alterations.

Hm, fair enough. I just found it kind of annoying because i didn't know what to look up when trying to "acquire" the movies. I was hoping someone had recorded the theatrical version of 3.0's dub (I've seen it done with several other movies) but I had no such luck in finding it. I guess I'll just have to wait for them finally to release it on BR like they said they were going to do months ago.

Apparently it has to do with some guy raising a fuss about the dub? That isn't the first time I've heard of something like this happening but it seems like a very rare occurrence and Funi of all people being called out on it is even stranger. (they're usually very good about being faithful to the source material these days)

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jul 21, 2014

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

ImpAtom posted:

Megumi Hayashibara, who also voices Eva-01.

Wait, what?

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

Wade Wilson posted:

Wait, what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocmzDO-vBR8

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wade Wilson posted:

Wait, what?

Her voice clips are used for Eva-01 but electronically distorted.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So how do people here watch Eva, dub or sub or both?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I like both, but I watched it first as the dub and so that probably colors my opinion of it, since it's a fond memory.

EVERY SINGLE MISSILE HIT THE TARGET!!!!!!

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
I have to say after hearing some of the screams in the sub version of Rebuild for Shinji, i feel the dub will have a lot to live up to. Stuff is haunting. Makes me think of a scene with Tsukasa screaming in .hack//sign.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Shinji is too old to be voiced by a woman imo

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I watched the dub first because that was all that was available here at the time but I don't have any particular fondness for it, apart from the episode where NERV has a power cut, they really played up the comedy aspect of that compared to the Japanese version.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Some of the dub cast improve drastically as the series goes on. Allison Keith's Misato was a bit screechy and awkward in the first few episodes, but by the end she reached the point where I'd probably prefer her to Kotono Mitsuishi.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

I watched the dub first because that was all that was available here at the time but I don't have any particular fondness for it, apart from the episode where NERV has a power cut, they really played up the comedy aspect of that compared to the Japanese version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW6KG2U4ZJQ

The first half of NGE did have its redeeming qualities.

Paracelsus posted:

Some of the dub cast improve drastically as the series goes on. Allison Keith's Misato was a bit screechy and awkward in the first few episodes, but by the end she reached the point where I'd probably prefer her to Kotono Mitsuishi.

This is more or less my thinking too. It had a very rocky start but everyone got better as time went on. That's a pretty common tend in most anime I've seen to be honest. It takes a while for the VAs to feel out their characters or whatever.

I really miss the old Gendo and Fuyutsuki voices in Rebuild.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 21, 2014

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm .... rather neurotic about certain things. If a given anime takes place in Japan, with Japanese characters, I'll watch the sub. If not, I'll watch the dub if there's one available.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Talkc posted:

I have to say after hearing some of the screams in the sub version of Rebuild for Shinji, i feel the dub will have a lot to live up to. Stuff is haunting. Makes me think of a scene with Tsukasa screaming in .hack//sign.

Holy crap but the screams in the sub are much more visceral and well insane really, its why I preffered the subs over dubs.

Especially in EoE just as Shinji dream strangels Asuka. Thats a scream of someone who finally just lost every bit of sanity they had.

Also Shinji screaming in rage while being awsome in 2.22 ( we all know the scene) is brilliant. In fact all of the end of the film is better in the sub.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I generally prefer the sub. The dub actors do an okay job for the most part but I really prefer the sub actors in this case. I'm not strongly dub or sub (Big O feels really weird to me subbed, for example), but Eva's sub voices just work better in my opinion.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I can't stand dubs except for a few rare comedies where the tacky-sounding voice work enhances the experience.

Maybe I should go watch Dance Like You Want to Win dubbed just in case? :v:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I've only watched the rebuilds to completion, and I have no strong feelings either way on Dub v. Sub - think they're both generally strong.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I can't stand dubs except for a few rare comedies where the tacky-sounding voice work enhances the experience.
On the plus side, subbed NGE does include a few scenes of tacky-sounding voice work. Asuka's German conversation with her adopted mother used reasonable phonemes with sloppy vowels and awkward timing, but Kaji's English speech as Bethany base was the audio equivalent of a cut-and-paste ransom note.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

GulMadred posted:

On the plus side, subbed NGE does include a few scenes of tacky-sounding voice work. Asuka's German conversation with her adopted mother used reasonable phonemes with sloppy vowels and awkward timing, but Kaji's English speech as Bethany base was the audio equivalent of a cut-and-paste ransom note.

It's made even better by the way the other people in that scene just kind of stare at Kaji with a look you could easily interpret as utter confusion.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Another odd difference between the dub and sub was that they redid Unit-01. For the dub it was done by the VA who voiced the air guitar surfer dude.

I can't recall if it was like for the entire series or just EoE though.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Mindblast posted:

Another odd difference between the dub and sub was that they redid Unit-01. For the dub it was done by the VA who voiced the air guitar surfer dude.

I can't recall if it was like for the entire series or just EoE though.

I know they had to do it for Death and Rebirth, at least, and if I remember correctly it was because the Eva roars were on the voice track and either A) they couldn't separate it out to use or B) because it was a voice track it was technically a performance, and thus they would have to pay Megumi Hayashibara her full rate for it. One out the other.

rocketbrah
Sep 24, 2003

it's peanut butter
⚡ MORPHIN' TIME ⚡

NikkolasKing posted:

Recently finished a rewatch with some friends, one of whom hadn't seen it before. We watched it in Spanish.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Surec posted:

Recently finished a rewatch with some friends, one of whom hadn't seen it before. We watched it in Spanish.

Por favor yes

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I started with the dub, if I remember right, so I always had a bit of nostalgia for watching Eva like that (though weirdly enough, I actually started with the manga before the anime, I discovered the manga and then found out there was an anime). I mean, it's a fairly decent dub all things considered, especially considering a lot of other anime dubs (I remember liking the FLCL dub too). Spike Spencer's fine enough as Shinji, and I really don't know if there were any characters whose dubbed voices I had much complaints about...though to be fair I haven't rewatched Eva in eons.
If I were watching it now though, I'd watch it subbed probably, that's how I watch the Rebuild movies when given the option.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jul 23, 2014

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I really don't know if there were any characters whose dubbed voices I had much complaints about...though to be fair I haven't rewatched Eva in eons.
Once you got down to the tertiary characters (Kensuke, Aoba, etc.) and bit parts (lol SEELE committee accents) the voices got pretty bad by normal standards, although only marginally bad by dub standards.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
Somehow the VA fro Kensuke was so bad it doubled back on itself and I ended up really liking it. I can't really explain it. But I still tend to watch the subs anyway.

Spectral
Mar 24, 2013
I like Asuka's English voice actor a lot. Her delivery in episode 22 hits a lot harder than her Japanese counterpart. Although partly that's to do with some changes to the script, which make Asuka seem a lot more hostile. For example they change Asuka's final rant to make it more pointed ("... and I hate YOU Shinji..."). In the original version she sounds more despairing and only mentions Rei by name.

Most of the other English VAs I'm not fond of. Ritsuko's Japanese voice is one of the most subtle performances in the cast - which is good because a lot of her lines are hard to take seriously otherwise - and it's painful to hear the English VA butcher it over and over.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Rebuild really makes me wish that Colleen Clinkenbeard (who also has the best goddamn last name) had been in the industry back when the dub was first being done. She nails Ritsuko perfectly.

Agreed on Tiffany Grant, though. Her Asuka's always been pitch-perfect.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

NikkolasKing posted:

Dubs all the time. If I can't stand the voicework in the dub, I don't watch it.

Hellsing Ultimate is probably the only show (other than the Venture Brothers) where I listened to the DVD commentary and the way the voice actors tease each other about how much fun they have while recording scenes is great (the story about the Jewish woman being conflicted over getting turned on when looking at the artwork of the character she voices is pretty funny, too).

Also, Stephen Brand does the voice of a lunatic catholic priest that is :allears: to listen to when ranting about killing Protestants and monsters.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
The dub is worth watching just for Spike Spencer's commentary over the credits of the final episode.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Surec posted:

Dubbed Evangelion is the best as long as it's the Spanish dub.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I just rewatched EoE and it got me thinking again. Some questions:

• What were SEELE's goals in directing the JSSDF to attack NERV HQ? Obviously kill the Children and anyone involved with NERV, but then what? Were they trying to take Adam back from Gendo, to then initiate Instrumentality under their own terms? What would the purpose of the Evas then be? They seem to still want to have all souls be jammed up together, and don't care--that much, despite their attack on NERV--by which means that's achieved (given Lorenz' seeming apathy toward getting zapped into LCL and ostensibly being aware of the fact that not everything is going as they wanted)
  • Along those lines, just what exactly are the MP Evas/SEELE doing to Eva-01 as Gendo hangs out with Rei in Terminal Dogma? They probably didn't know what was going on down there when they started their "Red Earth Purification Ceremony," so were they presumably planning on doing the whole merge-Adam-with-Lilith thing after turning Eva-01 into the Tree of Life?
  • What are the necessary requirements for initiating Third Impact in NGE/EoE? If it's just merge-Adam-with-Lilith, why doesn't Gendo do that right after acquiring Adam, and use a presumably much more submissive Rei? Do the Angels have to be defeated first? What's Eva-01 (or any of the Evas, for that matter) got to do with it? The MP seems to serve some purpose for the ceremony of initiating TI, but SEELE seems indifferent toward the destruction of Eva-02.

I have more that I forgot.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Shinji being the pilot of unit-01 when poo poo went down and also Rei deciding "gently caress you gendo" probably had something to do with instrumentality not going exactly as anyone planned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

cafel posted:

Somehow the VA fro Kensuke was so bad it doubled back on itself and I ended up really liking it. I can't really explain it. But I still tend to watch the subs anyway.

Kensuke Aida's English voice is perfect :colbert:. He's basically the goon insert for Evangelion.

If I close my eyes I can still hear his voice echoing in the recesses of my mind....