Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Thrashbarg
Dec 18, 2003
Can anyone recommend books about the business side of Hollywood? The more recent, the better, but even something less contemporary is okay if it's really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Old Thrashbarg posted:

Can anyone recommend books about the business side of Hollywood? The more recent, the better, but even something less contemporary is okay if it's really good.

The Frodo Franchise by Kristin Thompson is a case study about Peter Jackson's LotR films: how they were funded, marketed, etc. I reviewed it on Goodreads as follows:

I posted:

Not really a making-of, but more of a scholarly examination of the Lord of the Rings movie franchise from inception to its long-term success and influence. As a Jackson fan and a LOTR fan, I really appreciated this book. The author had the benefit of being able to conduct her own interviews with many of the cast and crew, which lends this book a bit of an original voice.

The first third of the book focused on the early period where Jackson and co struggled to get the movies financed; then the pre-production and production periods when the filmmakers were doing their thing, and the fans and the media were going crazy with speculation. There are chunks of making-of type passages here and there, but it's more of an analysis than a narrative. Lots of quotes from articles, and so on.

Then the book starts to focus on the marketing of the movies and the ancillary enterprises: websites, merchandising, home media releases, videogames, etc. This is all still pretty fascinating as it gives another dimension to the now well-known story of how the films got made (well-known to fans, anyway). Finally it spends about 80 pages looking at how the trilogy changed the movie industry, and how it boosted New Zealand's economy and global image.

I have to say I find economics and business-related things incredibly boring, so I did skip over some sections (such as the 5 or 6 pages on finding international distributors for the movies). But mostly this book spoke to, educated and entertained the LOTR fan and the filmmaking geek in me.

If you're one of those LOTR nuts who has watched the extended edition documentaries back to back, several times, then this book might feed your need for more behind the scenes info. It also serves as a great text on the movie business in general, kind of a case-study on the workings of modern blockbuster franchises, from the very first dollar to the billionth. I'd love to see this book updated once the Hobbit trilogy is finished.

jax
Jun 18, 2001

I love my brick.

Kumo posted:

I've been reading some fairly dense, depressing books lately- Germinal, Johnny Got His Gun, Last Exit to Brooklyn -and I need a break.

I would like to read something humorous and light, but not overly saccharine. The closest book I can think of in line with what I'm looking for is James Hynes' The Lecturer's Tale, here's a synopsis if you're not familiar, or looking for a good book yourself:

Check out the Brentford Trilogy by Robert Rankin. The synopsis may sound ott but they're definitely light and humorous.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Old Thrashbarg posted:

I liked The Big Picture in this area.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
I need to read something that doesn't have muscly barbarians in it. Can anyone recommend any ~*romance novels*~ for me so I can learn the meaning of love? Don't mind if it was written yesterday or centuries ago, or if it's actually another genre with a really good love story in it, as long as it's well-written and not just Harlequin junk.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Smart Bitches Trashy Books should have you covered.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Soulcleaver posted:

I need to read something that doesn't have muscly barbarians in it. Can anyone recommend any ~*romance novels*~ for me so I can learn the meaning of love? Don't mind if it was written yesterday or centuries ago, or if it's actually another genre with a really good love story in it, as long as it's well-written and not just Harlequin junk.

The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky. Don't be intimidated by the whole Russian Lit aura of impenetrability, it's extraordinarily readable and really, really good. I can wholeheartedly recommend the translation available on Project Gutenberg.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

Soulcleaver posted:

Tristan by Gottfried von Strassburg. Bel-Ami by Guy de Maupassant. Honestly though, you don't need to read a ~*romance novel*~ (i.e., specifically a love story) to read a book with a good take on love. Love is a human universal, as such it's a pretty common theme in books. A book I didn't enjoy, Neuromancer, had a great line about loss in the context of love:

quote:

Once he awoke from a confused dream of Linda Lee, unable to recall who she was or what she ever meant to him. When he did remember, he jacked in and worked for nine straight hours.

Or Kate Chopin's classic, The Awakening:

quote:

"Why?" asked her companion. "Why do you love him when you ought not to?"

Edna, with a motion or two, dragged herself on her knees before Mademoiselle Reisz, who took the glowing face between her two hands.

"Why? Because his hair is brown and grows away from his temples; because he opens and shuts his eyes, and his nose is a little out of drawing; because he has two lips and a square chin, and a little finger which he can't straighten from having played baseball too energetically in his youth. Because--"

"Because you do, in short," laughed Mademoiselle.

gatz fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Aug 7, 2014

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Soulcleaver posted:

Of Human Bondage, by Somerset Maugham and Family Happiness, a novella by Leo Tolstoy.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

regulargonzalez posted:

The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky. Don't be intimidated by the whole Russian Lit aura of impenetrability, it's extraordinarily readable and really, really good. I can wholeheartedly recommend the translation available on Project Gutenberg.
To take this even further, War and Peace wouldn't be too bad here.

legasaurusrex
Jun 12, 2014

I enjoy murdermystery/detective novels- I've read most of the Charlie Parker series by John Connelly and the Pendergast series to give some examples off the top of my head. I stopped reading for awhile and I'm looking to dive back in with a good mystery to hook me in. Does anyone have any recommendations for books/series?

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Thanks, thread. I have some good material now.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

legasaurusrex posted:

I enjoy murdermystery/detective novels- I've read most of the Charlie Parker series by John Connelly and the Pendergast series to give some examples off the top of my head. I stopped reading for awhile and I'm looking to dive back in with a good mystery to hook me in. Does anyone have any recommendations for books/series?

Not to sound like a smartass, but go to the top of the previous page.

legasaurusrex
Jun 12, 2014

funkybottoms posted:

Not to sound like a smartass, but go to the top of the previous page.

No worries, thank you!

Doc_Uzuki
Jun 27, 2007

Zodack posted:

I just got to the beach on vacation with my folks, and I was wondering if there are some highly recommended fantasy novels I haven't read (I'm sure there are). Since fantasy and sci-fi novels are a dime a dozen at bookstores, it's hard to find something that really piques my interest and keeps me reading, especially if I'm going to be reading it on vacation time - the most valuable type of leisure time.

I've read all the staple stuff: G.R.R.M., literally everything with Brandon Sanderson on it, also literally everything with Patrick Rothfuss on it (which isn't a lot), R.A. Salvatore, some Karen Miller stuff, Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth, Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time, Glen Cook's Black Company, and others. I know a bunch of this is probably considered entry level, and that's why I'm asking for recommendations for similar things, because finding something on your own can be really daunting.

Really high fantasy stuff like Salvatore kind of turns me off (looking at you, Drizzt) and even his Highwayman series left something to be desired. I wasn't particularly blown away by Karen Miller either. I love most of Sanderson's work and Rothfuss' series is good but not entirely great and he's been spending all of his time not writing the third book.

I especially love unqiue world-building and fleshed out magic systems or something similar (think Elantris, Warbreaker, Mistborn... which I realize are all Sanderson), but I'd rather not spend my week re-reading The Way of Kings just so I can spend the next week reading Words of Radiance.

I am looking for the same thing. I have a long commute and love listening to long rear end epic fantasy.

Over the past year and a half I have listened to: WoT, GRRM, Sanderson (Mistborn, Way of Kings), Rothfuss, Scott Lynch, Abercrombie and a couple other one offs.

I would enjoy something in the same vein, or Sci Fi, as long as it had some length to it. With Audible you get so many tokens every month and a 30 hour book gets a lot more mileage than a book that is only 10 hours.

Zodac, I would highly recommend Scott Lynch's Gentlemen Bastard series that begins with The Lies of Locke Lamora.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Doc_Uzuki posted:

I am looking for the same thing. I have a long commute and love listening to long rear end epic fantasy.

Over the past year and a half I have listened to: WoT, GRRM, Sanderson (Mistborn, Way of Kings), Rothfuss, Scott Lynch, Abercrombie and a couple other one offs.

I would enjoy something in the same vein, or Sci Fi, as long as it had some length to it. With Audible you get so many tokens every month and a 30 hour book gets a lot more mileage than a book that is only 10 hours.

Zodac, I would highly recommend Scott Lynch's Gentlemen Bastard series that begins with The Lies of Locke Lamora.

Steven Erikson, the Malazan Books of the Fallen. Ten books (plus a bunch of spinoffs), all of them massive enough to break toes if you drop them. That should keep you busy for a while. The first one is Gardens of the Moon.

Re Zodack: Have you tried Steven Brust's Vlad Taltos books? They're pretty fun.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib

DirtyRobot posted:

To take this even further, War and Peace wouldn't be too bad here.

I don't think I would really recommend Dostoevsky to anyone who is looking for a romance. The Idiot does have romance but it's much more philosophical than it is romantic. I think I would say the same for War and Peace. If you wanted a "realistic romance" and are specifically looking for classic Russian lit, Anna Karenina fits the bill and has a lot less rambling than War and Peace, though it is dark.

Jane Eyre is one of my favourite classic romances and it has everything one could ask for in a satisfying love story. It has depth and human suffering but I think of it as a happy story for the most part. Charlotte Bronte is like Dickens in that her ability to evoke suffering is what makes you appreciate all the more her equal talent for bringing out warm fuzzies.

Madame Bovary also keeps coming up when I search "romance" but anyone who mistakes this for a romance novel is seriously confused. It has "romance" but really the art of this book is similar to Anna Karenina, it's not supposed to be romantic, it's supposed to be realistic and make you see the folly of the characters.

Uhhh The Rainbow and Women in Love are other suggestions but again these are not warm and fuzzy for the most part, they are dark and written to make you think.

Of the little Jane Austen I have read I find her writing pretty bland but some of it has stayed with me and even though I haven't read Pride and Prejudice, it seems to be the quintessential romance, so you could give that a try.

Fellwenner posted:

Of Human Bondage, by Somerset Maugham and Family Happiness, a novella by Leo Tolstoy.

Family Happiness is a great story, a personal favourite.

The Doctor fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Aug 10, 2014

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

Zodack posted:

I just got to the beach on vacation with my folks, and I was wondering if there are some highly recommended fantasy novels I haven't read (I'm sure there are). Since fantasy and sci-fi novels are a dime a dozen at bookstores, it's hard to find something that really piques my interest and keeps me reading, especially if I'm going to be reading it on vacation time - the most valuable type of leisure time.

I've read all the staple stuff: G.R.R.M., literally everything with Brandon Sanderson on it, also literally everything with Patrick Rothfuss on it (which isn't a lot), R.A. Salvatore, some Karen Miller stuff, Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth, Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time, Glen Cook's Black Company, and others. I know a bunch of this is probably considered entry level, and that's why I'm asking for recommendations for similar things, because finding something on your own can be really daunting.

Really high fantasy stuff like Salvatore kind of turns me off (looking at you, Drizzt) and even his Highwayman series left something to be desired. I wasn't particularly blown away by Karen Miller either. I love most of Sanderson's work and Rothfuss' series is good but not entirely great and he's been spending all of his time not writing the third book.

I especially love unqiue world-building and fleshed out magic systems or something similar (think Elantris, Warbreaker, Mistborn... which I realize are all Sanderson), but I'd rather not spend my week re-reading The Way of Kings just so I can spend the next week reading Words of Radiance.

Have you tried Tad Williams's Memory, Sorrow & Thorn series? It was written in the early 90s, so it's not incredibly innovative in the genre, but it's wonderfully written, and GRRM has cited it as one of the books that convinced him that fantasy was still a viable genre. (The warring princes, Elyas and Josua, make an appearance in A Clash of Kings.) There's not a really strong magic system but the world is very vivid.

He's announced recently that he's writing a second trilogy that's set 30 years later. I'm cautiously optimistic - his recent stuff is pretty okay.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

The Doctor posted:

Jane Eyre is one of my favourite classic romances and it has everything one could ask for in a satisfying love story. It has depth and human suffering but I think of it as a happy story for the most part. Charlotte Bronte is like Dickens in that her ability to evoke suffering is what makes you appreciate all the more her equal talent for bringing out warm fuzzies.
This is the only one recommended to me here that I've already read. I'll check out the others; I like depressing Russian lit just fine.

Edit: Thanks again.

Soulcleaver fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Aug 10, 2014

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib

Soulcleaver posted:

This is the only one recommended to me here that I've already read. I'll check out the others; I like depressing Russian lit just fine.

Edit: Thanks again.

I wouldn't say depressing, they're just not really romance.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Old Thrashbarg posted:

Last year I read a bunch of books about Hollywood and movie studios. The best ones were:

The Men Who Would Be King by Nicole LaPorte about the creation of Dreamworks.

DisneyWar by James B. Stewart about Disney's movie studio (There's some great history of Disney in here but most of the book is about Jeffrey Katzenberg's time as studio head and the break between Disney and Pixar).

John Carter and the Gods of Hollywood by Michael D. Sellers which is about how the John Carter movie became a huge mess. This one wasn't particularly well-written but it was fascinating.

Sleepless in Hollywood: Tales from the New Abnormal in the Movie Business by Lynda Obst which is about how Hollywood has been transitioning to tentpole blockbusters and reliance on foreign markets after the rise of piracy and the fall of DVD sales.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Recommend me a good book on learning proper grammar. I was given the Cambridge Grammar of English, it's a great reference but I'm looking for more of a textbook. I'm embarrassed to admit I don't even how remember how to diagram a sentence anymore. An actual textbook would probably be best, but I have no idea where to begin looking for a good one.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Happy Hedonist posted:

Recommend me a good book on learning proper grammar. I was given the Cambridge Grammar of English, it's a great reference but I'm looking for more of a textbook. I'm embarrassed to admit I don't even how remember how to diagram a sentence anymore. An actual textbook would probably be best, but I have no idea where to begin looking for a good one.

Warriners English Grammar and my favorite, The Elements of Style by Strunk and White

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe
Anybody have any recommendations for Historical Fiction or Westerns similar in style and content to James Carlos Blake?

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe
Edit: sorry double post

Borneo Jimmy fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 14, 2014

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Borneo Jimmy posted:

Edit: Nevermind

THe Man Who Was Thursdayby GK Chesterton

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Does anyone have any good nonfiction about environmental pollution or industrial disasters, told from a human interest kind of standpoint?

I'm currently reading a book called "An American River: From Paradise to Superfund, Afloat on New Jersey's Passaic" and am looking for similar stuff.

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe

Mr. Squishy posted:

THe Man Who Was Thursdayby GK Chesterton

Not really seeing how Chesterton is similar unless this is a joke.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

hallo spacedog posted:

Does anyone have any good nonfiction about environmental pollution or industrial disasters, told from a human interest kind of standpoint?

I'm currently reading a book called "An American River: From Paradise to Superfund, Afloat on New Jersey's Passaic" and am looking for similar stuff.

Somewhat tangential, but I really love Alan Weisman's The World Without Us.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

funkybottoms posted:

Somewhat tangential, but I really love Alan Weisman's The World Without Us.

Thanks! I'm actually just interested in anything not too overly technical about what damage we've done to the earth so this is also perfect.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

hallo spacedog posted:

Alex Prud'homme's The Ripple Effect: The Fate of Fresh Water in the Twenty-First Century is an interesting read, but it will also depress the gently caress out of you.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

hallo spacedog posted:

Thanks! I'm actually just interested in anything not too overly technical about what damage we've done to the earth so this is also perfect.

Yes, it is definitely a very readable book that also happens to pair nicely with a lot of my favorite apocalyptic fiction. Also of possible interest: Eric Schlosser's Command and Control and the documentary film Manufactured Landscapes.

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Aug 14, 2014

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Selachian posted:

Alex Prud'homme's The Ripple Effect: The Fate of Fresh Water in the Twenty-First Century is an interesting read, but it will also depress the gently caress out of you.

Weirdly I have recently discovered that the severe anxiety episodes I have about the future are actually somewhat alleviated by reading about this topic, even when the outlook described in the book isn't very hopeful. So thank you for this.

funkybottoms posted:

Yes, it is definitely a very readable book that also happens to pair nicely with a of my favorite apocalyptic fiction. Also of possible interest: Eric Schlosser's Command and Control and the documentary film Manufactured Landscapes.

Thanks! I've been looking for good documentaries on the subject too so I'll have to check it out. I think they did something about the same topic as Command and Control on 60 Minutes recently.

EDIT: VV Don't want to crowd up the thread too much with film chat but thank you so much! VV

hallo spacedog fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 14, 2014

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

hallo spacedog posted:

Thanks! I've been looking for good documentaries on the subject too so I'll have to check it out. I think they did something about the same topic as Command and Control on 60 Minutes recently.

Man, his photography is so good that it makes me want to throw my camera away. And, speaking of companion pieces, Up the Yangtze is pretty good and there is fascinating, albeit brief, Vice episode called China's Ghost Towns that you should be able to find online very easily. You can also watch some really awesome episodes of Frontline (the PBS program) on their website, too- sort by topic and choose "environment." Oh, and if you wanna get artsy, there's always Koyaanisqatsi...

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

What books of the Bible are most essential?

I'm going to read the Inferno and Paradise Lost and I'd like to go in having read some of the Bible.

I'm thinking I'll read the first four books of the OT and the Gospels. What else, though?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Sir John Feelgood posted:

I'm going to read the Inferno and Paradise Lost and I'd like to go in having read some of the Bible.

I'm thinking I'll read the first four books of the OT and the Gospels. What else, though?

It's been a while since I read The Divine Comedy, but you'll definitely want to read Revelations. Plus it's the best book of the bible just for being so fantastical and crazy

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Leviticus and Numbers are full of dreary/insane legalistic jargon and are usually the parts that people quote when they want to piss off modern Jews and Christians. The first two Torah books are pretty badass, though. I'd read those, 1-2 Kings, Job (my personal favorite), Psalms, Proverbs, and Ecclesiastes. (Cynical secular humanism in the Bible? Holy poo poo!) The Minor Prophets are called minor for a reason, and aren't interesting most of the time. Daniel has some proto-Revelation weirdness in it, though, and there are bits and pieces of cool stuff throughout, but the whole collection of books is mostly a big slow slog.

As for NT, I would of course read the Gospels (they cover mostly the same events but each was written for a different audience and all have sweet BONUS CONTENT), Acts, and Revelation. The rest is just Paul writing letters correcting specific doctrinal issues to the various churches and generally doesn't make for engaging writing. The NT as a whole is more philosophical and less crazy than the OT, and is the primary reason why most people ignore the OT in favor of it.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Maybe read the whole thing...?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Fellwenner posted:

Maybe read the whole thing...?

Please don't troll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
Read John, as well. Honestly though, your question should also include "what translation of the Bible should I read?" since newer academic bibles have better manuscripts and such to be based on. Try the Oxford annotated Bible.