Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I thought the producers said they wouldn't be recasting him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

It's not like Denys Mallister does much in the books.

Maybe he died in costume and they kept shooting.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
He doesn't exactly do anything after ASOS that can't be rolled into some other character.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Plucky Brit posted:

Just look at the difference between the Harry Potter books. From book four onwards they were around 600 pages, compared to 300 or so for the first three.

the first three were also not very good.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I'm still completely loving dumbfounded that your avatar text is a true story.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

computer parts posted:

the first three were also not very good.

They were a lot more children's literature than the last four, and in that light they're fine for what they are.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.
I'm most of the way through A Storm of Swords and the thing that is annoying me most is how GRRM keeps using the word "pease" as a plural form of "pea". This is not correct, "pease" is singular, and "peasen" is the plural. When we stopped using "-en" as a suffix to make something plural (except in children), peas became the plural and pea was the singular.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.
I feel like I missed out on a lot of the patented GRRM experience by "reading" these books in audiobook form.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
If I ever hear anyone use the word craven in real life, I will immediately know they have read the ASOIAF books.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

I'm most of the way through A Storm of Swords and the thing that is annoying me most is how GRRM keeps using the word "pease" as a plural form of "pea". This is not correct, "pease" is singular, and "peasen" is the plural. When we stopped using "-en" as a suffix to make something plural (except in children), peas became the plural and pea was the singular.

Pease is a lot bigger (think the size of a peach) in westeros

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Quandary posted:

If I ever hear anyone use the word craven in real life, I will immediately know they have read the ASOIAF books.

'Craven' shows up in CK2 I think too.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

Skrill.exe posted:

Pease is a lot bigger (think the size of a peach) in westeros

Tyrion said they were small, round, and green, though overcooked.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

TryAgainBragg posted:

Here it is

40 seconds in
bad thred deliverz thanks man

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Quandary posted:

Or they are Spider-man fans.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

But enough about GRRMs testicles

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Talking about GRRM being inept when it came to using food terms made me think of this

http://www.clickhole.com/blogpost/when-i-started-writing-game-thrones-i-didnt-know-w-292

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
LMBO

quote:

When Brienne turned she noticed Podrick growing weary atop his horse’s shell, tightly clutching its long, pointed horns to avoid falling.

“My lady,” the boy quavered. “May we stop for a moment?”

Then Podrick put the horse in his satchel and sat down to rest.

- A Feast for Crows

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

The American Tolkien posted:

Symbolically ice has always been used to represent coldness.

Such a visionary.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

My AD&D Monster Manual begs to differ.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Pease out my bad thread nigga

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sweet name just read that book. Banks is way better than grrm at world building. He just mentions poo poo off handedly and lets context explain the rest.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

AtAt-de-fay posted:

My AD&D Monster Manual begs to differ.

White dragons live in cold weather, but they are not ICE, good ser.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

New interview

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/aug/13/george-rr-martin-write-game-thrones-hbo

Where he comes up with a new excuse

GRUM posted:

They've certainly caught up to me, They are writing 60-page screenplays and I'm writing 1,300-page books.

(Because when making a HBO show, 99% of the work and effort goes into writing those 60 pages. Also obligatory 'you're not writing 1,300-page books you fat gently caress, that's the problem').

And a cliche

MURG posted:

I can write a scene describing in detail a penis entering a vagina and there will be a portion of the audience who will get very upset by that and then I can write a scene about an axe entering a human skull, nobody will blink.

Junkenstein fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Aug 13, 2014

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

He's bitching so goddamn much now, I wouldn't be surprised if he just ragequits.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
:qq: their job is easier than mine :qq:

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

absolute fucker posted:

They've certainly caught up to me, They are writing 60-page screenplays and I'm writing 1,300 blog posts about HBO and football.

I made the mistake of checking his blog for "progress"...

This poo poo is never getting written.

kcroy fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Aug 13, 2014

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
At this rate, he's gonna jump on twitter and rage spoil the ending for everyone. Truly the trolliest of trolls.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I assume he means 60-page screenplays for each episode? Meaning 600 pages a year. So even by his own comparison there, he should be writing a book every two years.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Whatever GRRM. Call me when HBO writes half an episode, and then leaves all the best parts of the second half for another season.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I'm still following the boiled leather reading order and I'm at the point where AFFC is over so it's just 400 pages of ADWD left, and I've changed my tune a bit. I still thought AFFC was pretty good, but ADWD is just a total slog and barely anything is happening. It wasn't too big a deal when I was flipping back and forth between the books but now that I'm on ADWD only, it's really apparent how boring this is.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

The Berzerker posted:

I'm still following the boiled leather reading order and I'm at the point where AFFC is over so it's just 400 pages of ADWD left, and I've changed my tune a bit. I still thought AFFC was pretty good, but ADWD is just a total slog and barely anything is happening. It wasn't too big a deal when I was flipping back and forth between the books but now that I'm on ADWD only, it's really apparent how boring this is.

I've straight up given up at this point and am taking a break with another book.

I'm on "The Wayward Bride" chapter (26 out of 72) and am just miserable. I want to like it so much! But every chapter is literally just people talking to each other while traveling somewhere, or talking to each other while not traveling somewhere.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

The Berzerker posted:

Yeah, I got ADWD when it came out which was right after I'd marathon'd through the first four books and I put it down after reading exactly half per my Kindle. Just a few months ago I binged through the last two seasons of the show so I picked ADWD back up and finally made it through it.

At first I thought I didn't finish it because I was just burnt out on ASOIAF, but having just finished it, I'd say it was probably because ADWD is the most boring of the books. The only parts I remember enjoying of the book was finding out what happened to Arya after her previous cliffhanger and what happened to Brienne and her second, new cliffhanger. I also liked the Tyrion parts from the riverboat on.

But man oh man do I not give any shits about Daenerys's stuck-in-neutral plot, and she seemed to take up SO MUCH of the book.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.
I've never actually completed ADWD because I fell asleep listening to it in audiobook form and couldn't find where i left off because all I could remember is that it was the "boat ride" part.

TryAgainBragg
May 5, 2014

SUPERGURM posted:

He particularly was attracted to the Green Lantern because all he had to do was find a magic ring, whereas Batman "seemed to involve a lot of exercise", he could not be Superman because he was not from Krypton and the Flash was hit by painful lightning.

The man was even lazy when imagining being a superhero, why am I not surprised.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Rannos22 posted:

I've never actually completed ADWD because I fell asleep listening to it in audiobook form and couldn't find where i left off because all I could remember is that it was the "boat ride" part.

That could be most of the book!

But really, it's an incredibly terrible strategy - "here's 800 pages of some of your favorite characters! Cool stuff happens! We're having fun! Alright, now, let's take a break and read 500 pages of every else doing nothing, before we get back to those characters you got really invested in..."

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I'm jumping in to play devil's advocate a bit (as I tend to do). I went through the first three books, devouring them fairly rapidly as most people do and enjoying myself immensely. By the time I got to book 4 I was starting to feel significantly burned out on GRRM's writing style and the charactrs, and while I liked the world a good deal, a break felt in order.

I came back to the books a solid 2+ years later - I ended up actually watching the entire television (up to that point) in the interim, which did of course reinvigorate my interest. In any case, when I came back to it, I found myself enjoying books 4 and 5 a fair amount while reading them, ultimately. It's quite odd, because I feel like there are strictly certain character paths and threads that are interesting, and ones that aren't. Ones that are disappointing and pay off, and ones that don't. Upon thinking about the material some more and reading analysis and going back to various chapters out of sequence, I've come to the conclusion that GRRM was trying to be way too subtle in writing AFfC and ADWD.

I totally appreciate all the complaints. I completely agree that Dany's storyline in ADWD is downright awful and borderline unreadable at times, and by the time it gets interesting when Selmy starts narrating, it's extremely difficult to give a poo poo about anything happening on Slaver's Bay, in part because it felt like at the end of ASoS she was ready to start and heading back to Westeros, and it feels like ADWD was a long, painful, and pointless circle to get her back to the same place. Tyrion's chapters were very spotty; I honestly thought some of it was great, in part because I enjoyed spending time with characters like Illyrio Mopatis, the mysterious Septa Lemore, Griff/Jon Connington (whose 2 POV chapters were great), and so forth. It was the stuff with Jorah and Penny and being slaves that bored me to tears. On the other hand, I greatly enjoyed the two Victarion chapters a *great* deal and the plot with him and Moqorro coming down on Meereen is the one thing going on near Slaver's Boy that I found truly intriguing.

Then I really quite enjoyed everything in ADWD taking place in Westeros (and Braavos), with the exception of some Jon Snow chapters that got a little tedious. Davos' 4 chapters were really wonderful as usual for him, and intriguing as hell, telling us a huge amount of information about the current political climate of the North, taking us to White Harbor for the first time, seeing what a badass Wyman Manderly is, and so forth. Davos' chapters are, in an odd way, sort of continued by Theon/Reek, whose 5 chapters get my award for the absolute best chapters in the book. Theon's journey from the Dreadfort dungeons to Winterfell and the ensuing drama there is utterly gripping, horrific, fascinating, mysterious, challenging. I honestly think it's as good as anything GRRM wrote in the earlier books.

And on a random note I really liked Jamie's chapter. It might seem really random and pointless to have this single Jamie chapter dealing with millenia-long antipathy between House Blackwood and House Bracken, but think about this: The Two most famous of The Great Bastards father by Aegon the Unworthy were these two half-brother: Aegor "Bittersteel" Rivers, and Brynden "Bloodraven" Rivers. Typical of the antipathy between the Blackwoods and Brackens, these two half-brothers despised one another throughout life. You might remember that Bloodraven is still sort of alive at 130 or so, playing a rather prominent role in Bran's chapter's in ADWD. You might recall that Bittersteel's legacy is still alive and well in The Golden Company (which he founded) having just invaded Westeros with "Aegon", a potential Blackfyre Targaryen. Remember that in the past Bittersteel had tried to put Daemon Blackfyre on the throne but was defeated by his brother Bloodraven, who succeeding in securing the throne for their half-brother Daeron.

Remember that hilarious anecdote Jamie hears about the mountains that look just like a pair of tits, which Aegon the Unworthy named "Barba's Teats" after his then-mistress (and eventual mother to Bittersteel) Barba Bracken? And then when he had given her up for his next mistress, Melissa Blackwood (eventual mother to Bloodraven) he renamed them to Missy's Teats. The reason why that chapter and that story were in there made a ton more sense after I made the Bloodraven/Bittersteel connection to House Blackwood and House Bracken.

An interesting thing about the Blackwoods, Bloodraven's house on his mother's side: they are the only southron family to keep the old gods. Their coat of arms is a white Weirwood on a field of red, surrounded by ravens - how appropriate is that for Bloodraven, who is a white albino with red eyes that is practically part-weirwood who is heavily associated with the raven? The seat of their house, Raventree Hall, is known for a massive, old, dead weirwood that constantly attracts tons of ravens. Again, I feel so unbelievably stupid for missing the obvious relevance of Jamie's chapter the first time around reading this book. I was too focused on the Brienne cliffhanger at the end to realize all the good stuff came earlier in the chapter.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Aug 13, 2014

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

COOL CORN posted:

I've straight up given up at this point and am taking a break with another book.

I'm on "The Wayward Bride" chapter (26 out of 72) and am just miserable. I want to like it so much! But every chapter is literally just people talking to each other while traveling somewhere, or talking to each other while not traveling somewhere.

I can't wait, those are seriously my favorite parts. Book 3 had too much stuff happening.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
I'll be honest, I appreciate Dany's ventures in Meereen, but only because it's really fascinating to see an author take a very realistic approach to what happens when a power-broker/conqueror comes into an area that is heavily entrenched in a certain way of life (slavery), which ties it to the other nearby areas (the greater slave trade between the Dothraki and Volantis), and just upturns all of it in an effort to change things. The way that Dany has built up her own adversaries is so historically understandable I can't help but like the story, and want to see where it goes. For all I care, Dany could stay in Meereen for the rest of the series, since when she does come to Westeros it will probably be as some deus ex machina with her dragons to solve the white walker invasion, which is less politically intriguing and more straight up fantasy.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

Junkenstein posted:

I assume he means 60-page screenplays for each episode? Meaning 600 pages a year. So even by his own comparison there, he should be writing a book every two years.

600 pages per year average since ASoS publication in would have been 8400 pages. This is probably double the number needed to finish the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

kaworu posted:

An interesting thing about the Blackwoods, Bloodraven's house on his mother's side: they are the only southron family to keep the old gods. Their coat of arms is a white Weirwood on a field of red, surrounded by ravens - how appropriate is that for Bloodraven, who is a white albino with red eyes that is practically part-weirwood who is heavily associated with the raven? The seat of their house, Raventree Hall, is known for a massive, old, dead weirwood that constantly attracts tons of ravens.

This is pretty much the thing I hate most about gurm's writing. E.g. Houses exist with coats of arms for millennia in order to provide (over the top) pathetic fallacy for one character. His books are littered with so much of this kind of crap that it puts an unnecessary strain on suspension of disbelief.