Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Messiah is pretty weak but it was kind of cool to watch Alia try and handle the cult of personality and go insane. Children was pretty dumb and forgettable and God Emperor was just so out there and wacky that it became entertaining again. I hope that's what happens with asoiaf. Somewhere it got lost it it's own crapulence and somehow pulled it off near the end.

There are no books after God Emperor. There are only three star wars movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I still love Dune, tried and failed to read Dune Messiah, and I have never touched a single ASOIAF book. Minimum disappointment and pain for me!

Except for Battlestar Galactica :smithicide:

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The issue with Paul is that he is so supremely good at everything in the first book, thus he has to become gimped and basically written out of the series immediately after. Dune: Messiah is a hatchet job to remove Paul from the narrative by showing that he's actually pretty poo poo and then replace him with a different protagonist, who is played by Mr. Tumnus in Syfy's miniseries.

He is the kwisatz haderach. Well, sort of. He just has a good look at what he'd have to do and goes gently caress that poo poo.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
The Turkish Delight must flow.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I had some spiced chai just now, and when I looked into the cup... I saw my own face staring back at me :aaaaa:

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013
I think we can all agree the songs in Dune are outstanding.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Kavak posted:

I still love Dune, tried and failed to read Dune Messiah, and I have never touched a single ASOIAF book. Minimum disappointment and pain for me!

Except for Battlestar Galactica :smithicide:

This guy gets it.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I like the last book merely for the horrifying reveal that the space Muslim guys' cloning axlotl tanks are actually the grotesquely corpulent bodies of their species' females and they've literally turned their women into inhuman slave monsters to attain immortality. and then the Bene Gesserit the around and do it to their own sisters for the greater good. a lot of the last two books is silly, but that twist genuinely unsettled me. God Emperor is my favorite one in the series.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That twist is awesomely unsettling. Is there a lot of that poo poo in the series?

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.
Not caring so much for book 8, and I'm honestly not one of those people who hate it only because of the new author. Now that Dany is dead, I can see how the whole "Queen in the South" is supposed to take her place as an opponent for the Preservers, but she's just no competition for the unholy bad-rear end that Queen Sansa is, no matter how many mermen she commands, and the whole "Queen in the North/South" thing is a little to reminiscent of the witches in the Oz series. Is Arry going to grow up to be King in the East and we'll have some Lannister bastard show up to be the King/Queen of the West? Is the Kingsroad going to end up paved in gold?

Not sure what to think of the Ents yet, and that's what they are no matter what they call them. CGI Bran is cool though.

Glad we're finally finding out more about the underground kingdom that I think was referred to 6 books ago. What's their connection to the Preservers? Looking forward to book 9.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

That twist is awesomely unsettling. Is there a lot of that poo poo in the series?

The later Dune books have all types of twisted, crazy stuff like that.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I always took the story of Dune as Max von Sydow and his father had this really great plan to save their planet and then some hero came around and hosed it all up.

Heroes! :argh:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The Honored Matres appear from Heretics on, but their predecessors, the Bene Gesserit, use sex as a weapon to some degree, as well. The Bene Gesserit tend to use it more as political leverage, sending off their sisters to be concubines and wives to important people, gaining influence in that way. The Matres just gently caress your brains out, enslaving you to their will with their bomb-rear end pussies.

e: and yeah, Paul is deliberately a Mary Sue, but that doesn't change the fact that he has absolutely nowhere to grow given the end of Dune. The only way to give him a new arc in the further story is by undermining him and destroying the myth of Muad'dib, which is even spelled out in the text.

I didn't know about all that but I do remember reading that Baron Harkonnen was given his disgusting disease by Gaius Helen Mohammed for being a disgusting disease himself. It was sexually transmitted, while he was raping her I think.

I wonder if they had a name for it like Gom Joober or Goof Jobber or something.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Gurm jobber.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

syscall girl posted:

I didn't know about all that but I do remember reading that Baron Harkonnen was given his disgusting disease by Gaius Helen Mohammed for being a disgusting disease himself. It was sexually transmitted, while he was raping her I think.

Yeah, that's from the Brian Herbert/KJAnderson prequels, though. I think specifically House Atreides, because that wonderful rape scene is when Mohaim is impregnated with the Lady Jessica :v:

But yes, before that, the dude who resembles Rob Ford overly much looked a lot more like a red-headed Greek god than a corpulent, floating GRRMalike. She gave him a wasting disease which degenerates his nervous system and ruins his metabolism. Also he's gay. A fat, vain, untrustworthy, gay rapist douchelord. Baron Vladimir Harkonnen, turns out, not that great a dude.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
So, never read Dune.

Got it, thanks guys.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

visceril posted:

So, never read.

Got it, thanks guys.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

visceril posted:

So, never read Dune.

Got it, thanks guys.

No, just don't read the lovely booms written by his son and a dumb star wars novelist. It should be illegal for children to continue their parent's books.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Yeah, seriously. There's this great moment in Dune when Paul's mind opens up to Other Memory, and somewhere back in his ancestry someone screams "I am Agamemnon!" and you think "holy poo poo, Paul's descended from the legendary Grecian king mentioned in the Iliad! That's so rad!"

And then Brian Herbert explains to us, no, Agamemnon was actually a computer hacker's screenname. :ughh:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Not to undercut that moment anymore than Brian Herbert has, but wouldn't a sizable portion of us qualify to have Agamemnon as an ancestor based on some mathematical principal of lineage dissemination? By the time you get to the time Dune takes place wouldn't they qualify as having everyone from "old earth" or whatever as a direct ancestor?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

mind the walrus posted:

Not to undercut that moment anymore than Brian Herbert has, but wouldn't a sizable portion of us qualify to have Agamemnon as an ancestor based on some mathematical principal of lineage dissemination? By the time you get to the time Dune takes place wouldn't they qualify as having everyone from "old earth" or whatever as a direct ancestor?

Right, but what makes Paul special is that he can tap into the memories and experience of all those ancestors, which is cool.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah, seriously. There's this great moment in Dune when Paul's mind opens up to Other Memory, and somewhere back in his ancestry someone screams "I am Agamemnon!" and you think "holy poo poo, Paul's descended from the legendary Grecian king mentioned in the Iliad! That's so rad!"

And then Brian Herbert explains to us, no, Agamemnon was actually a computer hacker's screenname. :ughh:

lol, so much terrible poo poo like that in the Brian Herbert books that make a mockery of his father's legacy. I hope he gets hired to finish ASOIAF when GRRM croaks.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

savinhill posted:

lol, so much terrible poo poo like that in the Brian Herbert books that make a mockery of his father's legacy. I hope he gets hired to finish ASOIAF when GRRM croaks.

You monster. Not even the Gurm derserves Brian Herbert and Kevin J. A. Anderson. Even Star Wars didn't deserve him.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Agamemnon is like the least cool character in the Iliad except maybe Thersites.

I'd rather descend from Achilles/Hector/Odysseus, thanks.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Kuiperdolin posted:

I'd rather descend from Achilles/Hector

"I'd rather descend from guys who were murdered :qq:"

Kuiperdolin posted:

/Odysseus, thanks.

Odysseus was played by Sean Bean in Troy :v:

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013
So when's the next book coming out?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

mind the walrus posted:

Assuming that Agamemnon was a real person, and has living descendants, then yes, anyone vaguely European or Middle Eastern would be, as a rule, descended from him. But it's surprisingly easy to not have living descendants.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

You're probably right, I just find the idea of Agamemnon's (or anyone's) lineage somehow being so insular that you could chart down a relatively straight line over millennia very funny.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 17, 2014

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

ShaqDiesel posted:

So when's the next book coming out?

Surely thou jape good ser!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

ASoIaF: Dune and the Iliad.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

Not caring so much for book 8, and I'm honestly not one of those people who hate it only because of the new author. Now that Dany is dead, I can see how the whole "Queen in the South" is supposed to take her place as an opponent for the Preservers, but she's just no competition for the unholy bad-rear end that Queen Sansa is, no matter how many mermen she commands, and the whole "Queen in the North/South" thing is a little to reminiscent of the witches in the Oz series. Is Arry going to grow up to be King in the East and we'll have some Lannister bastard show up to be the King/Queen of the West? Is the Kingsroad going to end up paved in gold?

Not sure what to think of the Ents yet, and that's what they are no matter what they call them. CGI Bran is cool though.

Glad we're finally finding out more about the underground kingdom that I think was referred to 6 books ago. What's their connection to the Preservers? Looking forward to book 9.

Sansa is such a Mary Sue it loving pains me. She even has the same facial twitch the new author has ( I saw her at a Con, and it is true.. she has it ). I think the Queen in the South and the Varys/Merman tie is actually quite the match for her - if you look back in the first few books, you see clear references to the traps ( political and otherwise ) that Varys left behind in Kings landing. And I'm not just talking about the Flood.

Funny you brought up Oz - I mean cmon, we already have the flying Monkeys that Rickon brought back with him.

Why the gently caress would you tell me that. WHY?!!! I have gone out of my way to absorb literally ZERO information about that book-that-should-be-a-crime. A loving HACKERS SCREEN NAME I AM GOING TO RAGE NOW.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Solice Kirsk posted:

ASoIaF: Dune and the Iliad.

The American Homer

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

the only ruler of bear island that makes sense

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

kcroy posted:

Why the gently caress would you tell me that. WHY?!!! I have gone out of my way to absorb literally ZERO information about that book-that-should-be-a-crime. A loving HACKERS SCREEN NAME I AM GOING TO RAGE NOW.

Oh, is that your blood pressure I hear whistling out your ears like a boiling kettle?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

kcroy posted:

Agamemnon also had his brain transferred into a giant evil robot so he could diabolically rule the universe forever.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

kcroy posted:

Sansa is such a Mary Sue it loving pains me. She even has the same facial twitch the new author has ( I saw her at a Con, and it is true.. she has it ). I think the Queen in the South and the Varys/Merman tie is actually quite the match for her - if you look back in the first few books, you see clear references to the traps ( political and otherwise ) that Varys left behind in Kings landing. And I'm not just talking about the Flood.

Funny you brought up Oz - I mean cmon, we already have the flying Monkeys that Rickon brought back with him.

GRRM has shown with Arry, Sansa, and Myrcella that he is REALLY into the story arc of a young girl becoming ruthless and powerful, though one of them did require a magical sex change that will probably divide the community forever.

Rickon's servitors are hardly monkey-like, they remind me more of Nightgaunts than anything. It's funny how Lovecraftian things started to get in book 7 before GRRM left us. :(

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

savinhill posted:

Agamemnon also had his brain transferred into a giant evil robot so he could diabolically rule the universe forever.

And one of his computer-hacker/evil-cyborg buddies left the Xbox running too long one day, and it turned around and enslaved the hackers, thus enslaving all of humanity.

Which is why you cannot build a machine to mimic a human mind.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Say what? I thought it was because whatsit Butler objected to the abortion she got from a machine without as much as a by your leave.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

No, the Titans accidentally got all of humanity enslaved to Omnius, a galaxy-spanning computer overmind. The religious leaders left after the Butlerian Jihad subsequently said that computers were evil and anyone who made computers was a tool of Satan.

I mean yeah, Serena's baby was totally killed with casual disregard by Erasmus, a robot, but she already hated machines long before then.

Both sets of prequel books are loving retarded, is the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
I know better than to read the prequel poo poo but I do have the Dune encyclopaedia which goes into some detail about that stuff and lots of detail about how much of a colossal badass Gurney Halleck is.