Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

http://youtu.be/_xyGvpLOZ1Q

Except groundhogs, replace with children and squirrels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
/\/\
That just about made me piss my pants. I love me some Patrick Stewart.

9 quarts of spaghetti sauce canned today! Moving on to salsa tomorrow. :D

It's finally raining here, so I expect an explosion of growth. Watering is just not the same as good old rain.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Some little poo poo has been taking single bites out of my tomatoes, maybe 30 over the past week. Had assumed a rodent, and was going to throw down blood meal.

Camped out with a cigar to watch, and lucked into seeing the culprit. A loving BIRD. Black and white looking thing, size of a blue jay.

Sitting here with the hose in case he comes back soon, but that's no solution. What do I do? I don't want to poison anything. Neighbors have cats and other than this one rear end in a top hat, I love all the little birds who enjoy my yard.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
/\/\
Is it dry where you are? Try putting out a bird bath--or a pan of water. In my experience, birds and squirrels take bites of tomatoes not because they really eat them, but because they're thirsty. (Large fruit like that aren't the preferred niche of yard birds and squirrels, but they are opportunistic.) I'm taking a very wild guess based on the birds in my MO yard that you saw a type of warbler.

Birds are a toughie. If it was squirrels, I'd recommend a capsaicin spray, but birds don't have the receptors for it the way mammals do. :( You can try some shiny type things that you hang to scare them away, or a fake snake, but they get wise to that stuff pretty quickly. There may be a repellent product out there that works on birds.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Same Great Paste posted:

Some little poo poo has been taking single bites out of my tomatoes, maybe 30 over the past week. Had assumed a rodent, and was going to throw down blood meal.

Camped out with a cigar to watch, and lucked into seeing the culprit. A loving BIRD. Black and white looking thing, size of a blue jay.

Sitting here with the hose in case he comes back soon, but that's no solution. What do I do? I don't want to poison anything. Neighbors have cats and other than this one rear end in a top hat, I love all the little birds who enjoy my yard.

Sounds like a mockingbird. They're loving jerks.

I've been pretty successful keeping them out by hanging old cds in the garden. And shaking the screen door any time I see them in the garden. And yelling. Lots of yelling.

I have four bird feeders in the front yard and they still bother the garden in the back.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Mockingbirds prefer berries to seeds, so a bird feeder won't do poo poo for them. They're loud and can be aggressive as hell (I've seen a pair of mockingbirds attacking and chasing a loving hawk of all things). I usually don't have mockingbirds go after my tomatoes just because I have other things they like better- they eat the berries off my asparagus this time of year, and I also left a pokeberry in an unobtrusive place in my yard as an alternative for them.

Since it's probably too late to set up a trap crop for your mockingbirds the only truly effective alternative is bird netting. You need to make sure it goes all the way to the ground though because mockingbirds are smart as poo poo when it comes to loving your things up.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
Oh great, what's wrong with my mint this time?

Fungal, yes? I just came back from a 5 day vacation. It was fine when I left.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.
So a couple weeks ago I talked about how my pumpkins got pretty destroyed like overnight by some powdery mildew. I fought the battle with some home-made sprays and it seemed to get rid of the mildew, but my plant still died. Today I cut off the two pumpkins that I managed to grow, and discovered a grub inside one of the stems! So maybe some sort of vine pest is what did me in after all.

This is my first time ever trying to grow pumpkins and apparently I got like every single vine fruit malady I could ever ask for. Is it always this bad?

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

cloudy posted:

So a couple weeks ago I talked about how my pumpkins got pretty destroyed like overnight by some powdery mildew. I fought the battle with some home-made sprays and it seemed to get rid of the mildew, but my plant still died. Today I cut off the two pumpkins that I managed to grow, and discovered a grub inside one of the stems! So maybe some sort of vine pest is what did me in after all.

This is my first time ever trying to grow pumpkins and apparently I got like every single vine fruit malady I could ever ask for. Is it always this bad?

I've never grown pumpkins but out of the many times I've tried I've never been able to grow a curcubit to the point where I have useable fruit.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I've got some HUGE 9 feet tall sunflowers (Titan is the variety) but right as they were just about to start actually developing their flowers something snapped off the tops of a few of them and broke a bunch of the leaves off so they were dangling limp and wilted. I figured there must have been some wind gusts that happened while I was sleeping but then it happened again to a couple more of them. What could be causing this? Squirrels climbing up them and breaking poo poo because of their weight? They seem very healthy aside from the fact that their leaves and tops keep getting snapped off.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Squirrels are possible, they often will snip off the buds and flowers of all sorts of things in their ongoing war on all that is good and pleasurable in the garden.

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

I was wondering if anyone could help me identify this plant. I'm helping my cousin with her garden and this sprouted. We thought it was going to be Okra at first, but the flowers don't seem to match.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Velvetleaf! Its invasive.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abutilon_theophrasti

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

Awesome, thanks for the quick reply! I destroyed that plant quickly. None of the seed pods were able to spread; so, hopefully more of them don't pop up.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
Help, I'm getting end rot on most of my tomatoes as they hit maturity. I guess I over fertalized them? Is there anything I can do at this point or is this season a wash?

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

TheBigBad posted:

Help, I'm getting end rot on most of my tomatoes as they hit maturity. I guess I over fertalized them? Is there anything I can do at this point or is this season a wash?

End rot is usually caused by a calcium deficiency (and annoyingly a lot of commercial fertilizers omit it). It isn't too late to supplement with additional calcium to try and save the remaining fruits.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I've got a couple of cherry tomato plants doing great, but there are also six that just do gently caress-all, ie. they look healthy but they grow a whole bunch of shoots and leaves and not much else. Could that be due to a lack of pruning? They're not as accessible as I'd like.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Literally had 3 cloudy / partly rainy days in the midst of a month of awesome weather and my cucumber and all of my zucchini and squashes look like this.

I'm guessing powdery mildew? The zucchini fruits were OK still but all of the yellow squashes already molded over and turned to mush sadly. I'm hoping the cucumber can outgrow it. I pulled off the worst looking of the leaves and dumped them in a separate pile from my compost well away from the garden. The vines appeared to be putting out lots of new leaves that didn't yet have any powdery stuff on it. Any other tips to save these?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Every time I try to direct sow okra something comes along and cleanly takes off the seed leaves right after they emerge. Is there some kind of insect or similar pest that's known to do this? The gai lan and eggplant seedlings, about the same size, in the same location weren't molested. In the past I've seen birds going after larger okra seedlings (or some goddamn reason---they don't eat them or cart them off, just tear them up) but I don't think that's what's happened here.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

TheBigBad posted:

Pelletized quick lime is a good source of OH poo poo EMERGENCY calcium source just be careful not to use too much.

End rot can also be exacerbated by uneven amounts of water, be it from weird rain or irregular watering. Next year you can help offset the issues with compost and organic fertilizers, and I've found it to be really helpful to add shellfish/shrimp shells/egg shells etc directly under the plant in the spring.

That said I have lost a BUNCH of my better boys to end rot this year. I'm glad with my lovely work schedule/limited garden time that I avoided heirlooms this year. It would have been heart breaking.

SubG posted:

Every time I try to direct sow okra something comes along and cleanly takes off the seed leaves right after they emerge. Is there some kind of insect or similar pest that's known to do this? The gai lan and eggplant seedlings, about the same size, in the same location weren't molested. In the past I've seen birds going after larger okra seedlings (or some goddamn reason---they don't eat them or cart them off, just tear them up) but I don't think that's what's happened here.

Sounds like bunnies. They do the same thing to bean plant seedlings here.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

mischief posted:

Sounds like bunnies. They do the same thing to bean plant seedlings here.
Pretty sure it isn't rabbits. Don't have any other signs, and there's a bunch of other poo poo I'd expect rabbits to lay into (lettuces and other greens, beans, and so on) if they were bothering with a couple just-sprouted okra seedlings.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.

Breaky posted:

Literally had 3 cloudy / partly rainy days in the midst of a month of awesome weather and my cucumber and all of my zucchini and squashes look like this.

I'm guessing powdery mildew? The zucchini fruits were OK still but all of the yellow squashes already molded over and turned to mush sadly. I'm hoping the cucumber can outgrow it. I pulled off the worst looking of the leaves and dumped them in a separate pile from my compost well away from the garden. The vines appeared to be putting out lots of new leaves that didn't yet have any powdery stuff on it. Any other tips to save these?

If you don't want to buy a store-bought fungicide, I had a good outcome with a home-made solution: 1 part milk to 9 parts water, sprayed on the leaves and stems of the plant. Best to do it on a sunny morning so the leaves don't stay wet for long.

I couldn't find the original source for that recipe when I tried googling again, but I found this: http://www.growveg.com/growblogpost.aspx?id=242

cloudy fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Aug 19, 2014

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Thanks!

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

Breaky posted:

I came back from a trip overseas and our zucchini/squash developed the same mold. My tried and true method is adding Dr Bronners soap to a spray bottle in around a mixture of a table spoon or so of soap to the spray bottle.

edit: Also does anyone know this tree. I'm helping a family member plant a few memorial trees at a cemetery. It was found at Central Park in NYC.

VV I can't say much about white fly control, but castile soap can't hurt. It's worth a shot. I like Dr. Bronners Peppermint, because peppermint oil seems to be in a lot of articles about pest control.

Entone fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 20, 2014

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

jvick posted:

So I have white fly on my bush beans. They do not appear to be doing any harm to these plants, but I would rather nip that in the bud now before my lettuces really start popping up and they attack those.

What are people's feelings toward castile soap/water sprays? Do they really work?

Reposting, looks like it got lost in some other conversations.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Entone posted:

I came back from a trip overseas and our zucchini/squash developed the same mold. My tried and true method is adding Dr Bronners soap to a spray bottle in around a mixture of a table spoon or so of soap to the spray bottle.

edit: Also does anyone know this tree. I'm helping a family member plant a few memorial trees at a cemetery. It was found at Central Park in NYC.

VV I can't say much about white fly control, but castile soap can't hurt. It's worth a shot. I like Dr. Bronners Peppermint, because peppermint oil seems to be in a lot of articles about pest control.

Looks like a Flowering Dogwood

http://www.centralparknyc.org/visit/trees-blooms/tree-database/flowering-dogwood.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornus_florida

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
My habenero plants are dropping leaves from the top and its working its way down. They still seem to be trying to sprout new leaves from the top, but they also turn brown/crispy very fast and fall. The jalapeno plants that are next to them do not have this problem. Any ideas?

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.

Entone posted:

That is a dogwood, but not the Cornus florida. It's actually the chinese dogwood, Cornus kousa. The Kousa dogwood blooms later than our native dogwood, after the leaves have appeared. The native dogwood blooms before it leafs out. I have one of each. The Kousa looks way prettier in the fall, but only for about two weeks- it hits peak color and them all the leaves sort of brown up, unlike the native dogwood that isn't as flashy but keeps its color longer.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I...I think I've stumbled upon something.

I bought this 'personal size' cabbage seed pack.

They are reaching their maximum size ('ish).

If you take one, clean it, core it, and finely slice it, then add salt and a home brew air lock to a standard size Ball jar, they PERFECTLY fit into the jar with very few scraps.

Each individual head makes its own jar of kraut! Check it, that's one head (and waaay to much orange from my wife's iPhone filter for whatever reason)

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

This has been the outside in the shade temperature this month:

And somehow I am still getting tomatoes and peppers. I don't know how but I will take it!

But not all news is good. I think I stored my potatoes a bit too warm and some have buds on them. Nothing green because no light but they are sprouting. Free seed potatoes for a fall crop?

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Over 5lbs of jalapenos from the garden. Canning them tonight, making candied jalapenos.

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011

Flaggy posted:

Over 5lbs of jalapenos from the garden.

I've got 2 jalapeño plants that have been sitting pretty for so long they're turning red. They're just customarily eaten green right? I got them as starters along with 2 Hungarian hot wax and cayenne, and I was waiting form them all to mature before harvesting them all at once.

All the ones I started from seeds that I almost murdered to death with various pesticides pulled through. The problem is that I left them in smaller pots so the peppers are all teeny-tiny. I suppose it's too late to re-pot them?

I'll get some pix up tomorrow.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dilettante. posted:

I've got 2 jalapeño plants that have been sitting pretty for so long they're turning red. They're just customarily eaten green right? I got them as starters along with 2 Hungarian hot wax and cayenne, and I was waiting form them all to mature before harvesting them all at once.

All the ones I started from seeds that I almost murdered to death with various pesticides pulled through. The problem is that I left them in smaller pots so the peppers are all teeny-tiny. I suppose it's too late to re-pot them?

I'll get some pix up tomorrow.

Usually they are eaten green, you can eat them red as well I believe if they start turning black they are spicer. Alot of mine were starting to turn black.

Finished candied jalapenos.

Flaggy fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 23, 2014

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Flaggy posted:

Usually they are eaten green, you can eat them red as well I believe if they start turning black they are spicer. Alot of mine were starting to turn black.

Finished candied jalapenos.

I haven't made it with jalapenos, but hot pepper jelly with Habaneros is awesome! (For some strange reason I can grow crazy amounts of Habaneros on my back deck in 5A region)

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SpannerX posted:

I haven't made it with jalapenos, but hot pepper jelly with Habaneros is awesome! (For some strange reason I can grow crazy amounts of Habaneros on my back deck in 5A region)

What recipe do you use? All my habeneros are starting to turn now and I have to find a use for them. I was going to can some Mango Habenero hot sauce, but hot pepper jelly sounds even better.

Belloq
Nov 22, 2005
Eat 'em green if you want the crunch, red if you want the flavor. Black may be a variant, but likely it is turning red. Black could also be sun scald on the pods.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Flaggy posted:

What recipe do you use? All my habeneros are starting to turn now and I have to find a use for them. I was going to can some Mango Habenero hot sauce, but hot pepper jelly sounds even better.

I use this one: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/hot-pepper-jelly/
5 habeneros if you can handle heat. But read the reviews, there are issues with the amount of powdered pectin you should use. I used 2 boxes one time, and 1 the next, and I had to reboil the second batch the next day, and it still isn't as solid as the first one was.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Belloq posted:

Eat 'em green if you want the crunch, red if you want the flavor. Black may be a variant, but likely it is turning red. Black could also be sun scald on the pods.

The batch of pickled jalapeños I did with a mix of red, green, and purple fruit turned out amazing. The variation in flavors works very nicely.

OlyMike
Sep 17, 2006
I'm talking about flagellation, who gives a damn about parades

cloudy posted:

If you don't want to buy a store-bought fungicide, I had a good outcome with a home-made solution: 1 part milk to 9 parts water, sprayed on the leaves and stems of the plant. Best to do it on a sunny morning so the leaves don't stay wet for long.

I couldn't find the original source for that recipe when I tried googling again, but I found this: http://www.growveg.com/growblogpost.aspx?id=242

My zuchinni(sp?) has the same issue. I don't care at this point, as I'm sick of zuchinni and still have a few 5-6 pounders hanging out, but is this something I should get out of my garden? Will it last into next year if I clear everything out in a month or two?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Corn.

I got corn. Lots of corn and corn related corns.