Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Is there any metrics out at all that shows how well Space Dandy is doing in both markets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Its selling poorly in Japan. Toonami ratings are OKish last time I heard.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

aers posted:

Its selling poorly in Japan. Toonami ratings are OKish last time I heard.

You know, I am really starting to feel super bad for the (good) anime creators in japan. they make such incredible stuff but they're tied to the corpse of the Japanese Audience.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

For a specific number, the episode before the most recent one had roughly 750k viewers on Toonami, putting it at 3rd place behind Attack on Titan and Bleach.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Attack on Titan and Bleach are the two earlier timeslots, right?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Yeah, and in that order too.

Fairly sure Dandy performed better when it was airing at 11:30 in its first season instead of 12:30.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

aers posted:

Attack on Titan and Bleach are the two earlier timeslots, right?

Yeah, they moved.

Side note, the last episode was okayish, kid reminded me of that kid from cowboy bebop. Really looks like this saturdays episode will be a winner.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Srice posted:

Yeah, and in that order too.

Fairly sure Dandy performed better when it was airing at 11:30 in its first season instead of 12:30.

I was a lot more likely to stay up and watch Dandy at an earlier time. I've just been grabbing it from their site lately. It might only be an extra hour and a half, but that's a nice bit of sleep I'd be missing.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Holy poo poo this episode was amazing. Honey's a badass.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
God drat it, this show just keeps topping itself. I can't think of any show, anime or otherwise, that would handle a character like Honey as well as this episode did. Her bloodline certainly explains why she's such a drat good Boobies waitress.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Wow just when I think, "Yeah space dandy reached it's peak" Dandy proves me wrong.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Dandy is a good show.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Wow just when I think, "Yeah space dandy reached it's peak" Dandy Honey proves me wrong.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
While episode 5 is the best, this is fighting for 2nd place over S2E1.... And wow if it isn't winning.

Pretty sure you mean scarlet.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Pretty sure you mean scarlet.

Are you trippin hairballs? [canned audience laughter]

That last episode was well done; worth staying awake and watching it.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Even the laugh track is doing it for me, Honey is a badass.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Liver Disaster posted:

Even the laugh track is doing it for me, Honey is a badass.

The laugh track and the B-Plot of Scarlett going to a singles mixer gave me a serious 80s sitcom vibe.

Also Honey is apparently smart enough that trying to download her brain caused the computer to explode.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

KingKalamari posted:

The laugh track and the B-Plot of Scarlett going to a singles mixer gave me a serious 80s sitcom vibe.

Also Honey is apparently smart enough that trying to download her brain caused the computer to explode.

I think it's more that Cloudians have an ungodly amount of data-retention in their brains, though Honey's still obviously smarter than she acts.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Oxxidation posted:

I think it's more that Cloudians have an ungodly amount of data-retention in their brains, though Honey's still obviously smarter than she acts.

What was Honey trying to do anyways?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

sincx posted:

What was Honey trying to do anyways?

I don't think she had any idea of what Gel wanted with Dandy, she just set up a meeting with him so she could get home and get back to work. Then Perry gave the kill command and Honey knocked Gel's rear end out and teleported away. Girl's got initiative.

Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!
Tamaki!! As soon as I saw that cloudian the first thing I thought of was Tamaki and I was not let down!

Bluebomberimo
Jan 25, 2014
I've been loving the hell out of Space Dandy and forcing random friends to watch it, it's hard not to mention it when talking about anime with anyone as well.

One of the best on-going jokes right now is "It's budget time" when the animation just gets super crazy and REALLY beautiful.

Now to watch the newest episode.

Rhygezenguro
Feb 13, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Yeah, that's how I see it. Cloudians represent all clouds, water vapor 'clouds' and data storage 'clouds'.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Ripping on lelouch, galaga, honey, and all this?

Wow the episode is so great!

HOLY poo poo IT IS NOT EVEN OVER.

NVM This is an awesome rip on Code Guess.

I love this show.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Aug 17, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

How does this show top itself every episode

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
How was it relates to code geass?

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
The next episode looks p epic

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Oh wow this episode and the next looks amazing. Like just when I think, "nah this was the best." nope out done.

Misandrist Wytch posted:

How was it relates to code geass?

Dandy's guitarist was Lelouches VA and his anime profile

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
How can this show keep being so good?

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Genocyber posted:

How does this show top itself every episode

Every episode I go, man, this is just loving amazing. There is on way it can get better next week, and I'm okay with that.

And then the next episode is even better. And yet! That doesn't diminish the episodes before either! Each episode is itself better than the on before and the one after, endlessly, in space.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

I was actually more amused by the idea of Johnny being the leader of the Jairo Empire. It just seemed so close to a Jojo's reference that I couldn't resist chuckling at that.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
I really love how Honey wasn't even trying to be subtle this episode. :j:

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

And Dandy was eating it all up. Just look at those faces and where he's looking at during the scene His eyes are following the target everywhere in every single cut. I'm way too OK with this bit of fanservice.

Even Meow went crazy in the cut where the beer is standing in front of him.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Aug 18, 2014

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYH6DV03qTU
Japanese version

God, these are catchy.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

http://sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/8201/animated-bahi_jd-effects-genga-smears-smoke-space_

bahi posted this on twitter, its the raw genga for one of his cuts in episode 14. If you pause/step through you can see a lot of notes and some pretty crazy frames. Neat stuff.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I don't know what to say...

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
Someone please post what they think the last minute of the show meant. Did Dandy decide to stay dead and remain with the planet?

Either way, that episode was up there with Bebop levels of wow. Such a good episode and half the time I wasn't sure what was even happening! It was awesome, best episode so far!

You have no reflection, you're ghosts! Doesn't that concern you!?

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

Bluebomberimo posted:

One of the best on-going jokes right now is "It's budget time" when the animation just gets super crazy and REALLY beautiful.

Now to watch the newest episode.

This whole episode was budget time; beautiful art direction, they even ended it with stills.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
This episode was beautiful and it was as weird as I hoped it'd be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Spectacle Rock posted:

Someone please post what they think the last minute of the show meant. Did Dandy decide to stay dead and remain with the planet?

I think it meant that, after Dandy lived his life and really died, he returned to the planet that loved him. The friends he had made there waited patiently for him, and he happily came back to them when it was truly his time.

This was a hauntingly beautiful episode. To me, it was like a beautiful combination of Twin Peaks and a Jodorowsky movie.

• Locked thread