Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Honestly, wrestling shoes aren't that big a deal in any direction. The chance it would be the difference winning and losing are really slim, it's more a comfort thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Pocket Billiards posted:

Josh Barnett did talk about the shoe issue in the pre-recorded bullshit. His point was something along the lines of leg defense is about not getting put into bad positions and knowing the counters, more so than relying on your foot being a bit more slippery. Like when people think of armbar defense it's about not having the arm isolated in the first place.

I see Barnett has been training with Kurt Osiander.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
One time a dude was drilling with a metal brace because you know... Crazy. We messed around with some leg locks and it was funny. Can't heel hook and on knee bars he could lock the brace for defense.

Obviously not a real thing you'd ever do but entertaining on a slow day.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Xguard86 posted:

One time a dude was drilling with a metal brace because you know... Crazy. We messed around with some leg locks and it was funny. Can't heel hook and on knee bars he could lock the brace for defense.

Obviously not a real thing you'd ever do but entertaining on a slow day.

I wish my school had beat up a cripple day.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Dangersim posted:

Nah, sounds like Stone Cold stopped by the gym

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Dangersim posted:

Tito's on it:

Of Course posted:

I've noticed he's deaf, so he has a soft head, you hit him with more and more shots. You people don't know this. Watch how Franklin knocked him out quick. You hit them with soft shots because their equilibrium, they don't have no equilibrium.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

MagicCube posted:

I see Barnett has been training with Kurt Osiander.

Kurt walked past me rolling just the other day and mumbled "you're already hosed" as he sauntered away.

Mardragon
Mar 4, 2004
Cinderella boy... Out of nowhere...
Yam Slacker
I'm not sure the shoes had any real effect I would say the what looked to be a 60 lbs weight advantage had some effect. Also the fact that Dean isn't nor should he ever be considered a real heavyweight. Him walking around at 220 is more sloth than anything else, he doesn't lift at all so it's not muscle weight. Still shocked/saddened that Barnett subbed him though, although there are maybe 2 guys in that whole gym that could accurately replicate Barnett's size and wrestling chops, one of them you actually saw on Keenan's video (Casey) and the other (me) hasn't been training there lately (6 months). Jeff Glover was right, Dean is extremely strong, and he feels like the heaviest person alive when he's on top of you. But he's not 250+ strong, especially not from the bottom with a real life heavyweight on top of him. Also since I'm the resident Lister apologist/training partner I was sour about the whole thing, so it may just be bitterness leaking out in this post.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Mardragon posted:

I'm not sure the shoes had any real effect I would say the what looked to be a 60 lbs weight advantage had some effect.

That's an exaggeration. I myself thought Dean looked bigger than 220 and Barnett himself said that Lister felt way heavier on the MMA hour (choose to believe him or not, but he doesn't really come off as a liar). There was probably about a ˜35 lb weight difference which happens in HW MMA anyways

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Mardragon posted:

I'm not sure the shoes had any real effect I would say the what looked to be a 60 lbs weight advantage had some effect. Also the fact that Dean isn't nor should he ever be considered a real heavyweight. Him walking around at 220 is more sloth than anything else, he doesn't lift at all so it's not muscle weight.
I have a hard time believing this.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Making sure you're strong at the weight class you choose to compete in is a pretty big part of combat sports, "well the other guy was bigger and stronger" isn't much of an excuse.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Do you honestly have Barnett level wrestling chops?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Novum posted:

He might even have Flair level wrestling chops

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Novum posted:

I wanted to ask that too then i clicked the "show posts by user" button and this motherfucker seems to know his poo poo regarding wrestling so it felt disrespectful to question him :kiddo:

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Novum posted:

Mardragon is a former D1 wrestler.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
Are you sure it's not muscle weight? Lister's neck is so thick it looks like he could go around the country to county fairs hanging himself in between tapping out random dudes from the crowd.

Sprecherscrow fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 21, 2014

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Sprecherscrow posted:

Are you sure it's not muscle weight? Lister's neck is so thick it looks like he could go around the country to county fairs hanging himself in between tapping out random dudes from the crowd.

Have him do it at the same time. Rear naked choke vs noose

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
Lister's Portuguese accent is hilarious

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Novum posted:

I forget if it was Mardragon but someone on SA is a state/national wrestling champ.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
not working out is an essential part of bjj.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Mardragon
Mar 4, 2004
Cinderella boy... Out of nowhere...
Yam Slacker
You shouldn't feel disrespectful to question anything. I'm not the wrestler I once was but I'm still pretty good. I've never wrestled Barnett but I don't feel that he would outclass me in any severe way in strictly wrestling, he would crush me in catch or jiu-jitsu. The stuff he did to Dean in terms of gameplan is exactly how I roll with Dean, which I haven't done lately because of his travel schedule and my life schedule. The difference is Barnett is more savvy and didn't let pressure off of Dean, whereas I always fall for Dean's feints and eventually I get wrecked.

And I promise you Dean doesn't lift weights, his natural strength and neck mass is just that, natural. It's unlike anyone I've ever seen. I think I've posted a number of times how much raw talent the dude has. He is a serious freak. He's also one of the great talents squandered, it's tragic in a way.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Mardragon posted:

He's also one of the great talents squandered, it's tragic in a way.

No way, he is the fat martial arts master in that anime who is always sleepy and still kicks rear end anyway.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

david carmichael posted:

not working out is an essential part of bjj.
I know you're being facetious but I wanted to point out that most of the top level grapplers I know have training programs that are pretty sophisticated including weight lifting and cardio and many of their programs are equivalent to those of top level athletes in other sports. Some S&C guys like Martin Rooney work with a lot of grapplers and MMA fighters. Guys like Braulio, Rolles and Romulo lift and do conditioning.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 22, 2014

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Mardragon posted:

You shouldn't feel disrespectful to question anything. I'm not the wrestler I once was but I'm still pretty good. I've never wrestled Barnett but I don't feel that he would outclass me in any severe way in strictly wrestling, he would crush me in catch or jiu-jitsu. The stuff he did to Dean in terms of gameplan is exactly how I roll with Dean, which I haven't done lately because of his travel schedule and my life schedule. The difference is Barnett is more savvy and didn't let pressure off of Dean, whereas I always fall for Dean's feints and eventually I get wrecked.

And I promise you Dean doesn't lift weights, his natural strength and neck mass is just that, natural. It's unlike anyone I've ever seen. I think I've posted a number of times how much raw talent the dude has. He is a serious freak. He's also one of the great talents squandered, it's tragic in a way.

I remember you saying that before his ADCC win in the couple of months leading up to it he'd cut his alcohol consumption back to 'only' a couple of times a week and amped up his sparring by lightly rolling a few times.

I also remember posting mocking comments about Lister on here back in the day when I'd only seen him in MMA. I am contrite.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Mardragon posted:

I get what you're saying, but given his accomplishments it's hard to call him a squandered talent.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Yuns posted:

I know you're being facetious but I wanted to point out that most of the top level grapplers I know have training programs that are pretty sophisticated including weight lifting and cardio and many of their programs are equivalent to those of top level athletes in other sports. Some S&C guys like Martin Rooney work with a lot of grapplers and MMA fighters. Guys like Braulio, Rolles and Romulo lift and do conditioning.

and yet the greatest bjj player of all time is still somehow roger gracie

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

david carmichael posted:

Just like soccer is the best base for MMA, looking like you just woke up from a nap all the time is the best base for BJJ.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I'm wondering who Josh is going to face at the next metamoris

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

Google Butt posted:

i thought the plan was buchecha

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

david carmichael posted:

Roger does oly lifting. Here is a quote from back in 2010:

"When I’m not competing, I do workouts aimed at building strength and explosiveness three times a week at most, without a lot of repetitions. With a championship coming up, I change up the kinds of workouts I do, doing more repetitions to improve my physical conditioning, setting strength and explosiveness aside."

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Google Butt posted:

ADCC Champion Roberto Cyborg

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Does anyone have good passes for inverted guard?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

always be closing posted:

ADCC Champion Roberto Cyborg

Taint guard

Also known as the Grumpy Grundle

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.

Dangersim posted:

Does anyone have good passes for inverted guard?

I think you really just need to maintain your balance and pull your legs out if they get entangled, be patient and ready to pass as soon as they go back to seated. But I know some people have success diving under/through the legs to north/south, or going over them into a rolling back take. That's fancy stuff

A Wry Smile fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Aug 25, 2014

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Is there anywhere in the world wrestling gyms for hobbyists? Wrestling is an amazing sport and super fun, but it seems to be one of those things you either start at age 4 and aim for international success or you don't do it at all. Judo and sambo ar awesome, but my life is significantly bleaker for the lack of no-gi wrestling.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Where do you live? Sometimes mma or bjj gyms have wrestling classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

origami posted:

Where do you live? Sometimes mma or bjj gyms have wrestling classes.

Finland. The local bjj gym has only one submission wrestling class in a week and the fees are extremely gigh. The local wrestlinbg gym welcomed me but there are only kids and the few adults who train are international competitors, I couldn't do anything to them in a million years. Thankfully some members of our judo club have agreed to take one or two randori in a session without a jacket. Still, you'd have to specifically train for no-gi to get the real benefits.

I'm just wondering if some wrestling gyms in America have hobbyist classes. As far as I understand, wrestling's a big thing in some parts of the states, would be weird if it would only be a playground for professional atheletes.