Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Blind Sally posted:

A Song Of Spice And Fire
The poo poo must flow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Arrakis is the same planet, thousands of years in the future. The unexpected result of Jon defeating the Others, meaning winter never comes.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
King's Landing Girls will do it for pearls,
Wildling girls for water,
But if you desire dames like consuming flames
Try a Winterfellian daughter.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Shai-halud is coming...

...walk without rhythm and he'll pass you by.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I don't wanna wait... for my ice and fire to be over
I want to know right know, how it will eeeeend

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
But I would walk five hundred thousand miles
And I would walk five hundred thousand more
Just to be the man who walked a million miles
To get to the top of your wall, you fucker

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
DUHNUHNUHNUHNAHNUH

and I hate you

DUHNUHDAHNUHNUHNUH

and I'll kill you

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Junkenstein posted:

Arrakis is the same planet, thousands of years in the future. The unexpected result of Jon defeating the Others, meaning winter never comes.

Note their glowing blue eyes: the Fremen are the distant descendants of the White Walker. Also, dragons evolved into Sand Worms.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
poo poo. That almost makes too much sense. At least more than A+L=J.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
What's a Moqqorro?

And Frank's Dune rocks. No matter how crazy things got you can say that the man put some thought into his writing.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Does anyone have the GRRM sandworm pic?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

Now I want a Dune and Game Of Thrones crossover fic:

A Song Of Spice And Fire

gotta cede some CHOAM shares to get the Green Apple Fossoways' vote in the Landsraad

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Kellanved posted:

What's a Moqqorro?

Shut the gently caress up!

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

frankenfreak posted:

The poo poo must flow!

He who will not write a thing, controls a thing!

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Writing is the Gurm-killer

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

savinhill posted:

Writing is the Gurm-killer
Honestly I thought it was the other way around

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I must not write.
Writing is the GRRM-killer.
Writing is the little job which will make people stop harassing me.
I will turn away from my WordStar.
I will permit my books to languish and my fans to grow bitter.
And when I am dead, all my notes will be burnt to enrage them further.
And in their hearts, like in my fireplace... only ashes remain.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
That's the thing about GRRM. Every time they write something, even if it's not much to look at, or even if it's sort of stupid, you fall in love with him, and then you never know where the hell you are. GRRM. Jesus Christ. He can drive you crazy. He really can.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
"When you're dead, they really fix you up. I hope to the seven hells when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddamn crypt. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach every year, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody."

-Catelyn Caulfield

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
"I figured I could get a job at a filling station somewhere, putting lard and oil in my mouth. I didn't care what kind of job it was, though. Just so people didn't know me and I didn't know anybody. I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those illiterate-mutes. That way I wouldn't have to write any goddamned stupid useless books or talk about them with anybody."

George R.R. Martin, in a recent interview

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
Here come the Men in Black
Westeros defenders
They're gonna get dismembered

The wall guys dress in black remember that
Just in case you ever take the black and make contact
The title held by me - M.I.B.
Means what's north of the wall, you will not see
So don't blink that Other there
is now gone, black boots with the black fur coats on
Walk in shadow, move in silence
Guard against zombies and wildling violence
But yo we ain't on no inheritance list
We straight don't exist, no names and no lands or kids
Heard three blasts, magic is back
Cause you know exactly where the M.I.B.'s is at
Uh and...

Westeros defenders
They're gonna get dismembered

Let me see ya just bounce it with me, just bounce with me
Just bounce it with me c'mon
Let me see ya just die with me, just die with me
Just die with me c'mon
Let me see ya warg into a hawk with me, just warg it with me
Be a warg with me c'mon
And make your wolf work
Now freeze...

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I don't know why, but this has me in tears.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I must not write.
Writing is the GRRM-killer.

loving rofl

kcroy fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Aug 21, 2014

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blind Sally posted:

Note their glowing blue eyes: the Fremen are the distant descendants of the White Walker. Also, dragons evolved into Sand Worms.

Paul is clearly the Prince who was Promised.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tahirovic posted:

Make Lemon Tree into a song about lemon cakes, thanks!

It aint art, but here you go.

When I was just but three and ten, my Nuncle he did spake
"Come here and take a lesson from the tasty lemon cake."
"Don't put your faith in love, my Girl", my Nuncle he did spake,
"I fear you'll find that love is like the tasty lemon cake."

Lemon cake very tasty and the frosting sure is sweet
But an endless quest for lemon cake is sure to get you beat
Lemon cakes very tasty and the frosting sure is sweet
But an endless quest for lemon cake will lead to your defeat

One day beneath the Wierwood tree, my Prince and I did lie
A Prince so handsome that when he smirked, Men and Wolves would die
We All road South to the Capital, soon I would be Roy-al-ty
Thoughts of endless Lemon Cakes hid my Nuncles words from me

Lemon cake very tasty and the frosting sure is sweet
But an endless quest for lemon cake is sure to get you beat
Lemon cakes very tasty and the frosting sure is sweet
But an endless quest for lemon cake will lead to your defeat

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I would write five hundred words
and I would write five hundred more
Just to be the man who wrote a thousand words
About how I'll do the books at my own pace and don't owe the fans anything so get off my back already

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
King's Landing in The Crownlands in Westeros is a poem, a stink, a grating noise, a quality of light, a tone, a habit, a nostalgia, a dream. King's Landing is the gathered and scattered, tin and iron and rust and splintered wood, chipped cobblestone and weedy fields and junk heaps, dragon pits of corrugated iron, pubs, restaurants and whore houses, and little crowded markets, and alchemist labs and inns. Its inhabitants are, as the man once said, 'whores, murderers, rapists, and sons of bitches,' by which he meant Everybody. Had the man looked through another peephole he might have said, 'Septons and Seven and Knights and Sparrows,' and he would have meant the same thing.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
I like this trend of writing ASOIAF in other authors' styles. It's almost like a tryout for when one of them inevitably takes the series over

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Valar Morghulis is scrawled in blood red lettering on the side of the Iron Bank near the corner of Eleventh and First and is in print large enough to be seen from the backseat of the palanquin as it lurches forward in the traffic leaving the King's Road and just as Theon Greyjoy notices the words a rickshaw pulls up, the advertisement for La Main Sanglante on its side blocking his view, but Greyjoy who is with the Ironborn and sixteen doesn’t seem to care because he tells the driver he will give him five crowns to sing louder, The Bear and the Maiden Fair, and the driver, Summer Islander, not Westerosi, does so.

“I’m resourceful,” Greyjoy is saying. “I’m creative, I’m young, unscrupulous, highly motivated, highly skilled. In essence what I’m saying is that society cannot afford to lose me. I’m an asset.” Theon calms down, continues to stare out the palanquin’s dirty curtains, probably at the word DRACARYS sprayed in red graffiti on the side of a Mockingbird’s on Fourth and Seventh. “I mean the fact remains that no one gives a poo poo about their work, everybody hates their job, I hate my job, you’ve told me you hate yours. What do I do? Go back to Winterfell? Not an alternative. I didn’t transfer from the Starks to the Greyjoys to put up with this. I mean am I alone in thinking we don't have enough saltwives?” Like in a stage play another rickshaw appears, another poster for La Main Sanglante replaces the word — not the same rickshaw because someone has written the word WHORE over Cersei’s face. Greyjoy blurts out, “I have a co-op here. I have a place on Pyke, for Christ sakes.”

“Parents’, guy. It’s the parents’.”

“I’m buying it from them. Will you loving sing louder?” he snaps but distractedly at the driver, the man's voice still blaring from the front.

"I don't go no louder," maybe the driver says.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Fly, you fool!

:effort:

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

ShaqDiesel posted:

He who will not write a thing, controls a thing!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Let us have a moment of remembrance that once before most of us were born, the GRRM wrote, and it was good:

https://forwearemany.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/sandkings.pdf

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Does that mean the TVIV thread should watch the Outer Limits episode?

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.
Has GRRM ever admitted to being a Oasis fan? I have this theory that the entire plot of Jon on the wall is based on the song Wonderwall as sung by The Wall to Jon

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

Let us have a moment of remembrance that once before most of us were born, the GRRM wrote, and it was good:

https://forwearemany.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/sandkings.pdf

Sandkings is kinda 'eh'

like it's a good story but there's so much cartoonish ~~EVIL~~ in it that I can't take it as seriously as it takes itself- which isn't really all that much

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

You try to take Sandkings seriously? I enjoy it strictly as a creature feature story.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

You try to take Sandkings seriously? I enjoy it strictly as a creature feature story.

I guess my main issue with it is that it just telegraphs everything that's going to happen, and he can't decide if he's writing grim horror or magical whimsy. I'm not a big fan of creature features, though, so my opinion might be irrelevant to some folks.

I mean, we all know the internet is full of much worse things than Sandkings, and I'll agree that it's worth a read. I just don't think it's any better (or worse!) than ASoIaF.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
GRRM has started to work again: http://www.archipelacon.org/guests/george-r-r-martin/!

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

You know I have to say, I was reading one of his interviews and in the midst all his excuses and whining he did make one point that I thought was really, really valid and salient. It was something to the effect of:

"In the long-run, I really can't sacrifice the quality of the novel and the series in order to get something out faster. 20 or 30 years from now, nobody is going to say "The great thing about that sixth book was that he got it released really quickly". They're going to care about whether it's a good book or not."

Ignoring a bunch of fallacies in this argument, it is a fair point. And I think it possibly shows a level of self-awareness that, ultimately, he did make some poor decisions in books 4/5 and maybe rushed at times to get them out because he didn't manage his time properly, and he understands this - or maybe he doesn't at all.

Of course, the real issue is that if he feels this way then he never should have given the rights to HBO knowing that it would put him on a hard deadline of ~7 years to write the last two books. That action just flies so much in the face of the only decent point he really has to make.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Honestly if you were GRRM, would you write?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Hogge Wild posted:

Honestly if you were GRRM, would you write?

Honestly, I would. And if the show finishes first I'd try and make a bunch of things different out of spite. Maybe that's what we'll get.

Another interesting thing I read was that he actually does read some of the theories online, and on at least a couple occasions some people had basically "figured out" the books and guessed the ending more or less correctly, while most theories were still far off the mark. But still, rather tantalizing to think someone out there has guessed correctly and posted it somewhere.