Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Probably coming back to Thailand in a month or two for a month. We'll sheeeeeee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

duckmaster posted:

Going home on the 5th though :(
QUITTER.

Anyway, in other news, as predicted:

quote:

Visa rules to be relaxed

BANGKOK: -- The Immigration Bureau has been told to be flexible with "visa runners", junta chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha said yesterday.

In his weekly televised address yesterday, Prayuth said those going on visa runs can register with the bureau, which will then find a way to resolve the problem.

Foreigners have been exploiting tourist visas and visas on arrival to work illegally in Thailand, mostly as English teachers. When their visa is about to expire, they go to a neighbouring country for a new visa and return to continue with their illegal jobs.

Upon taking over, the junta decided to tighten the rules, deciding not to re-issue visas and threatening those who overstay their visa with deportation. However, Prayuth admitted that this crackdown had considerably affected certain groups.

"This is a problem that needs to be resolved, as it can lead to a shortage of English teachers and tour guides," he said
loving lol.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

The Saddest Rhino posted:

My question got buried somewhere before but I kinda still want to know what to expect when I go to Yangon, Myanmar, if anybody knows anything about it.

I'm Malaysian so I'm fairly aware of mosquitoes (lol) but my Singaporean colleagues have been informing me (a) avoid street food because they are all made of cigarette ash and deep fried turds (b) use bottled water for everything including baths and (c) if you don't take taxis everywhere you would either fall through pavement holes which form under your feet, or get repeatedly raped.

Please also advise if my Singaporean colleagues are just being loving Singaporean.

I went to Mandalay earlier this year which is apparently a smaller version of Yangon. Random Burma info (sorry about my writing style, I'm very hungover):

• I was actually very surprised by just how built up it was. The main thing is that there are almost no western brands to speak of. Coca Cola is some weird rip off (Panda Kola or something?) and a packet of local cigarettes was 80 cents but Marlboros were about $5 and almost certainly fake. There are motorbikes everywhere but they're all Chinese rip offs. The hotels we stayed in had air conditioning and flat screen TVs but again all the brands were weird Chinese poo poo. We went to a temple on the top of a cliff; running up the side of the cliff was a tower about 5 stories high which we were told was the way in. I groaned and said "I hope there's an escalator in there!" and everyone laughed at the complete implausibility of this. Unbelievably there was.
  • The street food is garbage, and that's compared to Cambodia. There are beer gardens everywhere which do food, it varied from "acceptable" to "actually quite good" to "how can they charge me $3 for a loving samosa". They don't drink as much as Thais (who in turn don't drink anywhere near as much as Cambodians) so the beer gardens are busy but very chill. Beer ran at about $1/glass for Myanmar Beer (the best one) or 40 cents for this other type which was godawful. Prices for spirits are through the roof by SE Asian standards.
  • The cultural differences are, how shall I put this, "unique". Apparently in Burmese culture it is considered impolite to assume anyone wants anything and even more impolite to ask for anything. This makes hospitality a hilarious farce as waiters desperately avoid eye contact whilst you wave your hands at them like some kind of deranged maniac. People do a strange kissing thing to get waiters attention which you'll feel very self conscious about but it works so whatever.
  • Internet is a hilarious joke. The internet cafes are officially censored but this is so lax now that you're highly unlikely to notice (I got onto the BBC website just fine). Next to each computer there will be a little sign telling you how to log in through a proxy so you can avoid the censorship entirely, heh. It's sub-56k so you won't be doing much surfing. Apparently Ragoon is much better though, but you'll pay accordingly.
  • There are actually holes in the pavement so keep your eyes open, although the pavements in the busy areas will be alright (ish). I don't mean little potholes either, you stick your leg in one of these things without noticing and you're breaking an ankle.
  • The only issue with using water for washing is that it may or may not be hot and how you have adjusted the tap will have absolutely no influence on this whatsoever.
  • People tend to speak a few words of English particularly anyone involved in transport. Mototaxis hang around in areas with a tiny sign saying TAXI hanging somewhere (this may be stuck behind a tree for no apparent reason). I don't think I got offered a single one on the street in a week in Burma, but they did offer when I walked past them. For longer journeys the locals jump in a pick up truck which you can do too but you'll pay double the local rate and they look pretty dangerous. I really wanted to go on one but my friend wouldn't let me and we had to go 50 miles by taxi, grr. Taxis are very much more Cambodian style (a clapped out Toyota Corolla with no fan) than Thai (a big pink Subaru Impreza with wifi). We hired one for $15 for 4 hours but unlike Cambodian ones he didn't let me smoke :mad:
  • Minibuses between towns were quite good and actually more or less on time. Book through a guesthouse or hotel though, every travel agent we went to was quite clearly in the wrong job. One weird thing about long distance transport is there will always be a Burmese man or woman sitting in the passenger seat; I assumed this was some sort of government minder to stop us pesky foreigners seeing places they don't want us to see which I thought was awesome. Unfortunately it turns out they're just the "spotter" for the driver. Because Burma was a British colony they used to drive on the left but the Junta decided they didn't want to be British so they told everyone to drive on the right instead... but all the cars were right hand drive. Because of the sanctions any imported cars were smuggled in and cost a fortune, but nobody wanted a left hand drive car because then they'd have to learn to drive it so all the imported cars were right hand drive as well. Even the Burmese car manufacturer - owned by the Junta - couldn't be bothered to train their workers in building left hand drives so they just kept building right hand drives. So now everybody drives on the right in a right hand drive car and has to employ someone to drive around with them so they don't die. Seriously.
  • The towns and cities are incredibly safe for foreigners mainly because the penalty for assaulting one is literally "disappear". How you feel about the moral implications of that is up to you but it does keep crime down!
  • Ride the railway, seriously. Centuries of exploitation and genocide by the British Empire are completely nullified by the railways we built all over the place.
  • Nobody will talk politics with you for obvious reasons, although I did run into a small (maybe 50 people) democracy demonstration. The police were just standing around chewing khat. In Cambodia they just open fire and this is allegedly a democracy!

So yeh. YMMV and I may be wrong about some things. It's definitely different and I sort of liked it but I wouldn't live there. Ragoon is probably far different though, the expat crowd in Mandalay is miniscule.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Cool Burma report. Thanks!

duckmaster posted:

No majorly hilarious antics to report I'm afraid. American girl hates me now because she found out I'm a drug riddled alcoholic fool. How I kept it a secret that long (two weeks) is beyond me. It doesn't matter though cos I'm a sex machine and I'll just find another one.

Maybe an Australian? Their females are a little closer to British male standards of lager consumption and house music oontzes.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
My friends who spend a lot of time out there remark about how Mandalay has been bought up by the Chinese - as in Chinese signs, Chinese billboards, Chinese businesses, Chinese factories, etc. No idea of the veracity, but that's the word.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Sounds like China. Gross.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Street making GBS threads, legal and encouraged.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK
It's not quite Little Beijing but the Chinese influence is definitely there. Probably important to note that the Chinese-Burmese population of Burma is far, far higher than official records claim so it's not so much about Chinese money pouring in as ethnic Chinese in Burma suddenly having a lot more economic freedom than they've ever had before.

Not to say the money isn't pouring in of course, and it's definitely coming from the east and not the west. Western leaders can wag their fingers at the Burmese government as much as they want but judging by the eastern influence compared to the western I seriously doubt anyone is listening.

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007

caberham posted:

Duck master come back. I missed his e/n thread about choosing his first prostitute and one of the candidates looked like his mom. Can someone please give him a call or private message besides forums?

If only you died instead of big suave.

Because your posting is terrible.

I'm totally kidding around making stupid jokes. Seriously, all goons stay safe. I tried happy pizza in Cambodia solo/ with other tourists and regretted it. Don't do things because of cost. Anyways put yourself in a safe controlled environment.

Which is sometimes impossible with mosquitos in Bangkok. Or crazy traffic patterns.

Stay in your air conditioned hotel room with the windows closed. Stay safe.

I think the best you could do is don't be a cheapskate and actually buy and use repel. Seen so many backpackers with constellations all over their legs because they didn't want to pay for repel.

And crossing the road: make a decision and commit. Motorists will drive according to what they think you're going to do.

cent0r fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Aug 23, 2014

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

cent0r posted:

And crossing the road: make a decision and commit. Motorists will drive according to what they think you're going to do.

In my experience this only works in Vietnam. You will literally die in Laos doing that--drinking is like their national sport.

It feels like you have a super power when you just stride into dense Saigon traffic and come out unscathed though.

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Heavens me, just look at the time

If being here has taught me anything, it's that drinking is almost every country's national sport.

Duckmaster, I'm sorry it didn't work out with your American girl. Maybe you should be more open about being a drug addled alcoholic. Girls like guys that they think they can change, right?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I have yet to experience drinking with Thais. Drinking with Koreans was like the world's most passive aggressive competition. If someone didn't vomit no one won. Drinking with Taiwanese was an exercise in excess. At nightclubs, if you rented a booth and ordered a bottle of whiskey, you'd get complimentary vomit bags. Most bars had signs in them saying where you were and weren't allowed to throw up. How do the Thais compare?

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Heavens me, just look at the time

Atlas Hugged posted:

I have yet to experience drinking with Thais. Drinking with Koreans was like the world's most passive aggressive competition. If someone didn't vomit no one won. Drinking with Taiwanese was an exercise in excess. At nightclubs, if you rented a booth and ordered a bottle of whiskey, you'd get complimentary vomit bags. Most bars had signs in them saying where you were and weren't allowed to throw up. How do the Thais compare?

The only Thai I've ever seen get puking drunk was my boyfriend. However, I've had multiple friends pass out in the street or hilariously pee on inappropriate things. Like their friends bikes.

Oh, and get into fights. There are always fights at the Thai clubs.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Chair Huxtable posted:

The only Thai I've ever seen get puking drunk was my boyfriend. However, I've had multiple friends pass out in the street or hilariously pee on inappropriate things. Like their friends bikes.

How often do they drink? Is it a daily thing like Koreans, or reserved for special occasions?

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK

caberham posted:

I'm totally kidding around making stupid jokes. Seriously, all goons stay safe. I tried happy pizza in Cambodia solo/ with other tourists and regretted it. Don't do things because of cost. Anyways put yourself in a safe controlled environment.

Lightweight. I once did coke (not real coke), acid and ice in one night before driving my motorbike into a cement truck and inviting a tuk tuk driver and three Vietnamese hookers to a random guesthouse for a party where they promptly drank all the vodka I'd brought and waited for me to fall asleep before robbing me.

And I'm only here FOR THE TEMPLES. Imagine what the real nutters are like!!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I just saw a dad holding his kid up sans pants in front of the urinal. Also, MegaBangna now has a Mexican restaurant.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Just got back from Lazy Beach on Koh Rong Sanloem. Overall great resort but for $50 a night I would expect flush toilets.

Excellent food though, fresh Kampot pepper crab may be the first Khmer dish that has impressed me.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK

Gail Wynand posted:

Just got back from Lazy Beach on Koh Rong Sanloem. Overall great resort but for $50 a night I would expect flush toilets.

Excellent food though, fresh Kampot pepper crab may be the first Khmer dish that has impressed me.

I went to the big Koh Rong a few weeks ago - the water is all imported from the mainland and so they don't need to bring drinking water and washing water it's all drinking water. Strangely this means that the water is perfectly safe to drink, provided you've got a stomach made of galvanised steel. This also means they hate putting flush toilets in because the water is so expensive. I assume you had a gravity toilet and not a squat at least? $50 for a squat toilet would be quite :lol:

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
do we have a LINE group goin' on? (wechat? w/e)

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

duckmaster posted:

I went to the big Koh Rong a few weeks ago - the water is all imported from the mainland and so they don't need to bring drinking water and washing water it's all drinking water. Strangely this means that the water is perfectly safe to drink, provided you've got a stomach made of galvanised steel. This also means they hate putting flush toilets in because the water is so expensive. I assume you had a gravity toilet and not a squat at least? $50 for a squat toilet would be quite :lol:
Yeah, gravity toilets. Still annoying.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK

Chantilly Say posted:

You sound like a cool guy. I'll be in Bangkok as of Monday morning and may have a free night 1st-4th.

Where are you staying? I'll probably be boring and stay on KSR.

Barfolemew - looking over old posts I missed and saw you're staying at the Rikka Inn on KSR. I've stayed there and it's surprisingly quiet and incredibly clean. Nice pool on the roof too, but no bar (not much of a problem). The only bad thing about it is it's quite hard to remember exactly where on the street it is when you're drunk :)

I'm coming back to SE Asia, probably after Christmas. There is a school that pays $2000/month, rising to $2500 after 3 months and I think $3000 after 6. This is Cambodia and I could totally bullshit it but I think I'm going to need to do a CELTA buy a degree in Bangkok first.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Skandiaavity posted:

I'm trying to get one going. What's your line ID?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Atlas Hugged posted:

How often do they drink? Is it a daily thing like Koreans, or reserved for special occasions?

Thais are really mild drinkers apart from an occasional machismo bound male knucklehead. Usually a group of them will go out, get a bottle of Johnny Red and some soda, and if they pour the drinks at least half of the bottle will get taken home. And that's with a group of like eight. Also, this is usually cheaper per drink (unlike in the US where getting a bottle is wasting money so that you can get more attention or a seat).

Teetotalers are rare but a lot of Thais do have a raging alky in the family, plus being a loud stupid oval office isn't a virtue in Thailand like it (apparently) is in Korea, so a lot of people put the brakes on consciously even if they like to get smashed. Getting so drunk that you yell or make a scene or throw up is looked down upon pretty strongly by most -- it's a common complaint about farang actually. Falling down while drunk is funny though.

Lots of Thai girls don't drink even beer. Spy wine coolers are about as strong as they go.

raton fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Aug 23, 2014

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

dumb post sorry.
I'm back in the states. Ill miss Asia
although there was some heartbreak the good far outweights the bad

edit: related to the above discussion.

Thai clubs are posh as gently caress
all rich malaysians paying too much for cocktails or thai hipsters. gently caress that noise. i got threw out of a couple for trying to actually have fun (aka not drinking solemnly at one table with 2 other people drearily watching possible ladyboys dance.

a

Tolkien minority fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 23, 2014

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Profondo Rosso posted:

dumb post sorry.
I'm back in the states. Ill miss Asia
although there was some heartbreak the good far outweights the bad

edit: related to the above discussion.

Thai clubs are posh as gently caress
all rich malaysians paying too much for cocktails or thai hipsters. gently caress that noise. i got threw out of a couple for trying to actually have fun (aka not drinking solemnly at one table with 2 other people drearily watching possible ladyboys dance.

a
A) they were probably Singaporeans not Malaysians, to put in relative perspective it's not posh in Thailand if cocktails cost $20usd back home and you live w your parents, and every other news story says you will get robbed or shot if you go to Thailand. Oh Singaporeans.

B) Asia is not a country

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

You forgot to sign

x

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Chair Huxtable posted:

Truth. Thai fights can be pretty amazing. Non one quits until the cops show up or they can't physically beat the other person anymore. I mean it varies situation to situation, but there's no stopping once you've knocked the other guy down from what I've seen. You just keep wailing on him until you can't, whether he's unconscious or not.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Chair Huxtable posted:

If being here has taught me anything, it's that drinking is almost every country's national sport.
There's a bar out on Soi 6 called Alcohol League. I was really sad I couldn't make it :( I think I could've won.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
It looks like I'll get to experience the great displeasure of flying from the west coast of the United States to South East Asia some time in December. Every single option looks lovely. I have a bunch of Qantas miles to use for a business class upgrade but I'd rather not come back to Australia on my way to Bangkok from San Francisco.

First world problems :whatup:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
THAI had a non-stop flight from LAX for a while, took 17 hours one way and 14 the other. I miss that flight :qq:

EDIT: I once booked the direct (but not non-stop!) flight from Singapore to Houston on Singapore Airlines. It stops in Moscow. There's a fun flight. Singapore to Moscow to Houston. A route only possible while the world has an energy industry and Houston is the world capital of it.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Aug 24, 2014

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

ReindeerF posted:

THAI had a direct flight from LAX for a while, took 17 hours one way and 14 the other. I miss that flight :qq:

Yeah, I think they stop in Seoul or something now. The non stop flight would have been ideal, even if I couldn't get work to pay for a decent seat.

I'm kind of amazed at some of the flights I'm seeing - the JAL option via Haneda is attractive, but Haneda to Suvarnabhumi is a seven hour flight - the same as Adelaide to Singapore. I had no idea the two places were that far apart.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, all the connections are 5-8 hours if I recall correctly - except Malaysia and Singapore. On that note, check out MH as they're running crazy specials right now due to their unfortunate recent past. It's a fine airline and I'd fly it anytime (not over Ukraine though). Singapore would be my first choice for speed if cost is no object.

Other factors notwithstanding, I try to fly ANA through Narita as Narita has this kickass sushi joint near Terminal 1. My closest friend lives in HK, though, so last time I took Cathay and did layovers of a day or so both ways. HK is always worth a layover. I don't know how you are, but the older I get the more I'm like, "gently caress this, I'll just stay for a day and hang out." I can easily do the 25-30 hours of flying required to get to here from Houston, but why loving bother when you could spend a day in a cool city?

kru
Oct 5, 2003

ReindeerF posted:

THAI had a non-stop flight from LAX for a while, took 17 hours one way and 14 the other. I miss that flight :qq:

EDIT: I once booked the direct (but not non-stop!) flight from Singapore to Houston on Singapore Airlines. It stops in Moscow. There's a fun flight. Singapore to Moscow to Houston. A route only possible while the world has an energy industry and Houston is the world capital of it.

You can go via narita now, so the Moscow flight is redundant

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

duckmaster posted:

I went to Mandalay earlier this year which is apparently a smaller version of Yangon. Random Burma info (sorry about my writing style, I'm very hungover):

Thanks for the writeup. This is really useful and better than the Singaporeans constantly telling me about the bottled waters etc. And yeah I've been passed pictures of those pavement holes which are very charming.

E: I'm trying to locate a series of alarmist "advice" my sister's friend passed her but the email seems to have gone into the void. I'll post it when I find it.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Gail Wynand posted:

A) they were probably Singaporeans not Malaysians, to put in relative perspective it's not posh in Thailand if cocktails cost $20usd back home and you live w your parents, and every other news story says you will get robbed or shot if you go to Thailand. Oh Singaporeans.

B) Asia is not a country

A. Likely true, I am no expert on this subject

B. Hah that makes me sound quite the idiot doesn't it. I'm well aware Asia is not a country. I was backpacking Vietnam/Cambodia/Thailand. Let me rephrase to "Southeast Asia"

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Anecdotally I'm in the middle of US west coast -> SEA right now and Singapore is flying me SFO-ICN-SIN-BKK. Only an hour on the ground in ICN but five in SIN. Inexpensive ticket, though.

Update: Changi terminal 2 has a 24hr dim sum place with big signs that say "BEERS Are Sold Here" and the beer fridge has a sign on top saying "Just DRINK"

And a woman asked if I wanted to go somewhere, do massage? I politely declined.

Pirate Radar fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 24, 2014

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Cathay Pacific had a really tight but organized Bangkok to Vancouver BC haul. It stopped in Hong Kong but they had stewardesses whisking away their lists of transfers, zipping us through staff security junctions and tossing us on the next plane. (And sometimes they hand out Haagen Das on long hauls.)

Maybe see what routes you through Vancouver? It's a big nexus point for Asian countries.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
I just discovered this thread and deyamn Bangkok goons. :stare:

In a week I'll be flying Cathay Pacific to Indonesia from Amsterdam with a layover in Hong Kong. I'll spend three weeks in Indonesia visiting family and doing cool poo poo. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good temporary cellular plan? Preferably with a bit of data in case I need to look something up.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Fragrag posted:

I just discovered this thread and deyamn Bangkok goons. :stare:

In a week I'll be flying Cathay Pacific to Indonesia from Amsterdam with a layover in Hong Kong. I'll spend three weeks in Indonesia visiting family and doing cool poo poo. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good temporary cellular plan? Preferably with a bit of data in case I need to look something up.

Telkomsel simPATI?

http://www.telkomsel.com/product/simpati

In Thailand I usually use a TrueMove Sim Card and for Singapore I use Singtel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Skandiaavity posted:

We do. PM me your whatever and I'll add you or something!

<(^_^)>