Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

coyo7e posted:

Deer generally don't give a gently caress about fences unless they either can't see the other side, or if there's no room for a clean landing. Sorry you feel th need to take it out on me but those posts should be 10 or 12 foot before they go into the ground, with wire strung along the top every foot or two Jurassic park style, so they'd be at least 8 feet high.

Motronic posted:

Calling a 6 foot fence a deer fence is what makes you look naive. Sorry.

See the corn?

Ok, sorry, been saving that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Big Beef City posted:

See the corn?

Did you really stay so mad, that you had to reply 3 months later? Just let it go.

I did a video tour of my backyard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Osg5Rl4lVoc

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Big Beef City posted:

See the corn?

Saving it for what?

From the context (I have no idea what that original conversation was about, as I don't hold internet grudges with semi anonymous people for months at a time) I guess you thought a 6 foot high fence was good enough for a deer fence and feel validated because there wasn't enough deer pressure in your area this season for them to bother going into your garden?

:downsbravo:

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Did you really stay so mad, that you had to reply 3 months later? Just let it go.

I did a video tour of my backyard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Osg5Rl4lVoc

Get to picking those tomatoes, man! :j: Truly, I love looking at yards. Your brown grass also makes me feel better about our yard! For me, the rain has only just recently come back, and even then, it's not enough. The yard is just this brownish green, sad, dry looking, expanse of crap. Add in the 100F heatwave, and forget it.

Soon, I will be pulling a patch of carrots and putting in fall spinach. So excited! Tomatoes have been booming--so far, we've canned tomato sauce, green chili sauce, strawberry-habanero jam, and salsa. All from the garden! Tomatoes, peppers, tomatillos, strawberries, basil, cilantro, garlic. We've also made some dill pickles, but we bought a bushel of cukes from the farmer's market--grew the dill and garlic though! Next up, spiced blackberry jam, and some plain, roasted green chilis. Probably round two of pasta sauce sooner than later as well.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

I've picked over 45 lbs of tomatoes so far this season! I have 5 gallons in my freezer, and I've given away 20 lbs. This is the time of the year I get sick of tomatoes, and then in 4 months I will be crying that I have no more fresh, home grown tomatoes to eat.

The severe drought here in California made me choose either green lawn, or vegetable garden. I've been covering up the brown grass with woodchips.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

It may have been a joke, and I may have just been an rear end in a top hat, enjoying reading about gardening. I know that seems crazy on a site like this.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Aug 25, 2014

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I've picked over 45 lbs of tomatoes so far this season! I have 5 gallons in my freezer, and I've given away 20 lbs. This is the time of the year I get sick of tomatoes, and then in 4 months I will be crying that I have no more fresh, home grown tomatoes to eat.

The severe drought here in California made me choose either green lawn, or vegetable garden. I've been covering up the brown grass with woodchips.

Can!! I freeze a lot too (we have 9-10 gallons of whole tomatoes in the deep freeze, and 3 gallons of tomatillos), but can, seriously. Even pressure canning isn't that big of a deal. :) Simple tomato sauce, or whole peeled tomatoes, can go a long way in the winter. We're at about 100lbs of tomatoes so far this year, and I do get a bit tired of eating them fresh by this point. We are mainlining caprese salads and BLTs. But that's why cooking and canning is so awesome!

I don't waste a single drop watering the lawn. It only gets some sprinkler action if my kids are playing in the water too.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

OlyMike posted:

My zuchinni(sp?) has the same issue. I don't care at this point, as I'm sick of zuchinni and still have a few 5-6 pounders hanging out, but is this something I should get out of my garden? Will it last into next year if I clear everything out in a month or two?

Zucchini. Two Cs, one N. I have a hard time with spelling it too, but I resent people calling them zukes. :colbert:

Powdery mildew is pretty much guaranteed in mid to late summer in the PNW. Keep good airflow around your plants by not putting them too close together and don't water in the evening. Try not to water the leaves at all if you can help it. You can also look for resistant varieties.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

OlyMike posted:

My zuchinni(sp?) has the same issue. I don't care at this point, as I'm sick of zuchinni and still have a few 5-6 pounders hanging out, but is this something I should get out of my garden? Will it last into next year if I clear everything out in a month or two?

I would cut up what you have left and just freeze it. Add it to a hearty casserole when it's cold out.

I hate wasting food so most of what I have now is frozen for winter.

OlyMike
Sep 17, 2006
I'm talking about flagellation, who gives a damn about parades

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Zucchini. Two Cs, one N. I have a hard time with spelling it too, but I resent people calling them zukes. :colbert:

Powdery mildew is pretty much guaranteed in mid to late summer in the PNW. Keep good airflow around your plants by not putting them too close together and don't water in the evening. Try not to water the leaves at all if you can help it. You can also look for resistant varieties.

Cool, like I said, I'm not that worried about it. The summer garden is kind of winding down, still crap tons of tomatoes, but everything else is pretty done. But always good to have stuff to keep in mind for next year.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Yeah, it's not as big of a deal with summer squash. By this point you're sick of them and the neighbors call the police when you walk up to their house with an armload of zucchini. But winter squash still need all the time they can get to mature.

It's still a good time to plant a winter garden though: http://www.westcoastseeds.com/admin/files/PlantingChartDistribution2012.pdf

Peas, carrots, arugula, lettuce, spinach, turnips, overwintering onions and scallions can go in right now here. Or consider putting in a cover crop by mid-September.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Welp, kicked out the roommate a month ago (failure to pay rent, plus refusing to clean up after himself, etc). Went to the beach for a couple days and came home to my pepper plants all being utterly bare of fruit after he "came by to get his bike". At least I had picked all the ripe ones already. :(

The bhut joloka plant is starting to put on blossoms finally, crossing my fingers that I can still have a chance at hurting myself trying to eat one. :)

I need to do some weeding and plant some carrots. Also, I totally agree with Cpt Wacky - it's pretty much impossible to NOT get powdery mildew in the PNW, although I've never cared enough (since squash always overwhelm me with their output halfway through the season) to try soaping it off, etc.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

coyo7e posted:

Welp, kicked out the roommate a month ago (failure to pay rent, plus refusing to clean up after himself, etc). Went to the beach for a couple days and came home to my pepper plants all being utterly bare of fruit after he "came by to get his bike". At least I had picked all the ripe ones already. :(
Jesus loving christ, what a dick.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

coyo7e posted:

The bhut joloka plant is starting to put on blossoms finally, crossing my fingers that I can still have a chance at hurting myself trying to eat one. :)
My bhut jolokas have been growing like crazy but haven't been setting many fruit. I've got two habanero plants that I just pulled around a pound of peppers off of, but the bhuts (right next to them) have only produced like a half a dozen. Don't know what the deal is.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
My ghost pepper didn't start developing fruit until like a week before the first frost last year so I didn't get any. They just have too long of a growing season.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

ghetto wormhole posted:

My ghost pepper didn't start developing fruit until like a week before the first frost last year so I didn't get any. They just have too long of a growing season.
To be entirely fair all my peppers and tomatoes went in late this year. I don't expect anything but I am pretty sure that here in the valley it'd be pretty easy to get them fully ready.

All my peppers this year have been totally not-hot at all though, which made me sad.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Jesus loving christ, what a dick.
That's what he said too! (When I made up my mind and then walked him through my house pointing out all of the literal, long-term damage he'd caused.)

My favorite part of that last interaction, was his snide remark about the blue stains all over the vanity in the bathroom from his mouthwash (which he'd ignored for 3 or 4 months of my repeatedly asking him to wipe it up off of the wood finish, including telling me that leaving a note since he usually got home 2-4 hours after I'd gone to sleep, was being "passive-aggressive") "oh so now you expect me to sand and re-finish your furniture?"

"No, I expect you to find a new place to live." :fuckoff:

The sacrifice of the late-season unripened peppers was worth it. :D

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 29, 2014

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Ok, so this year I didn't get one loving Zucchini. When I first noticed that I had flowers but no fruit, I tried to manually pollinate. Which is when I realized that all I had was male flowers!!! All season long, not a single female flower grew.

What the hell? Is it possible that I had bad seed? The yield of healthy plants from seed was low, like 1 in 8 or so.

EDIT:
The seed was organic, Martha Stewart branded. My girlfriend picked the packet out at Home Depot.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
My pride & joy this year...

They are kiwi, and I live in Massachusetts (zone 5)

I found this special hardy variety 6 years ago and planted two. Came up every year, one of them started flowering last year but no fruit. This year they both flowered and I've got a couple dozen fruit growing. The vines themselves are huge, covers my whole front porch (~60' long).

I cut one open, and sure enough it looks just like a baby kiwi inside.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Squashy Nipples posted:

Ok, so this year I didn't get one loving Zucchini. When I first noticed that I had flowers but no fruit, I tried to manually pollinate. Which is when I realized that all I had was male flowers!!! All season long, not a single female flower grew.

What the hell? Is it possible that I had bad seed? The yield of healthy plants from seed was low, like 1 in 8 or so.

EDIT:
The seed was organic, Martha Stewart branded. My girlfriend picked the packet out at Home Depot.

I don't remember the technical term but squash should produce both male and female flowers on the same plant. It's always been my experience that they produce a lot more male flowers than female though. If the germination rate was that low then it could have been an issue with the seed. I always recommend getting seed from more local/regional companies rather than the big chain brands.

Gounads posted:

My pride & joy this year...

They are kiwi, and I live in Massachusetts (zone 5)

I found this special hardy variety 6 years ago and planted two. Came up every year, one of them started flowering last year but no fruit. This year they both flowered and I've got a couple dozen fruit growing. The vines themselves are huge, covers my whole front porch (~60' long).

I cut one open, and sure enough it looks just like a baby kiwi inside.

Hardy kiwi needs a male and female for pollination so that could be why one had no fruit. I hope whatever they are climbing is sturdy because they will get huge and pull weaker structures down.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Cpt.Wacky posted:

I don't remember the technical term but squash should produce both male and female flowers on the same plant.

Monoecious. Plants with distinct males and females are dioecious. Flowers that are both male and female are perfect. Flowers that are distinctly male or female (on the same plant or not) are imperfect.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Squashy Nipples posted:

EDIT:

MStew is Ferry-Morse and carries a guarantee. It's also (supposed to be) better quality than Ferry-Morse's own-brand stuff. Call 'em up and get you some free stuff.

That being said, like Cpt.Wacky, I can't recommend not-Ferry-Morse enough. If Home Depot is the only game in town, Seeds of Change is much better seed and makes up for its slightly higher price with much better germination and healthy plant rates.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
I order my seed from Jung's, Rareseeds, and Gurney's (just depending on who is stocking whatever I'm looking for.) I have nothing but good things to say about all three of them, quality wise.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Cpt.Wacky posted:

I don't remember the technical term but squash should produce both male and female flowers on the same plant.

Yep, I know that. Every morning I brought a qtip with me when I went out to water, but never any females.
I also know that zukes are the easiest thing to grow, and I totally failed. :argh:

My peppers didn't do so great this year, either, but I'll blame that on the unusually cool August we've had... last year, I had a whole second crop in late August/early September, but right now my peppers look like they are already pooped out.

EDIT: For reference, I'm in Boston. And some of the leaves are already changing here.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Squashy Nipples posted:

Yep, I know that. Every morning I brought a qtip with me when I went out to water, but never any females.
I also know that zukes are the easiest thing to grow, and I totally failed. :argh:

My peppers didn't do so great this year, either, but I'll blame that on the unusually cool August we've had... last year, I had a whole second crop in late August/early September, but right now my peppers look like they are already pooped out.

EDIT: For reference, I'm in Boston. And some of the leaves are already changing here.

Don't take it too bad. My zukes came up well and produced for all of 3 weeks and now all are dying to powdery mildew. There's some grapevines on my property that are a reservoir for it I think. They all have similar looking spots on the leaves and I guess the birds have spread it all over the yard :cry:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Squashy Nipples posted:

Far fetched username/post combo thingy going on here.

Anyway, had the same thing last year, more or less. Male flowers grew in abundance, rotted off, then some female flowers turned up. Useless.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Squashy Nipples posted:

Yeah, sorry. I was trying to make the point of there being something wrong if it didn't have female flowers.

When's the last time you did a soil test? Even if NPK is roughly ok the pH can still affect uptake of them in different ways.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
I just added it all up and we've grown ~160lbs of tomatoes so far this year. :j: Over 20lbs of tomatillos. We're making a green table salsa, and more pasta sauce this weekend (since we have the extra day.) I'm totally pulling two pots of basil plants for it, and sowing new seed for fall basil. Happy Labor Day Weekend in the garden everybody!

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

AlistairCookie posted:

I just added it all up and we've grown ~160lbs of tomatoes so far this year. :j: Over 20lbs of tomatillos. We're making a green table salsa, and more pasta sauce this weekend (since we have the extra day.) I'm totally pulling two pots of basil plants for it, and sowing new seed for fall basil. Happy Labor Day Weekend in the garden everybody!

Wow! How many tomato plants did you have? And what variety?

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
We have 28 plants, but are only weighing production from 22 of them. 3 Black Cherries, 2 of some yellow, slicer variety, and one Pineapple tomato aren't being included (for various reasons).

The ones that are, are, 5 Amish Paste, 6 San Marzanos, 5 Black Krim and 6 Brandywine. The Amish Paste are at over 7lbs/plant, and the San Marzanos are at about 6.3lbs/plant. (I cook, so I keep a close watch on my paste varieties, and am always looking to test drive another.) I expect production to continue at a pretty good pace for the next 4 weeks, given how warm September is for us and the current plant condition/fruit set, and then have about 4 more weeks of diminished production after that, where they'll finally give in to their septoria and end of season blight. I'll rip the whole thing down about Halloween.

We have 4 individual tomatillo plants. Over 20lbs so far, with poo poo tons more on the vines, from 4 plants. Tomatillos have earned themselves a permanent spot in the garden. I picked two a few days ago that were about the size of a tennis ball!

We are canning fools around here. We've collected a whole bunch of various jars from my MIL and an aunt, who used to garden and can years ago, and are using every single one. Got some widemouth, square pint jars today that are begging for salsa! Widemouth means dipping from the jar. ;)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Tomatoes really produce a startling amount if you do a half-rear end job with them most of the time.

Next year I'm not gonna buy almost any cherry tomatoes, because they're annoying to blanche and peel, and I don't like them in salads because they always blow up when I fork them. ;)

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Squashy Nipples posted:

It's okay, I failed too. :sigh:

Only two of the vines lived long enough to start flowering and producing fruit, but it all shrivels up before getting anywhere near ripe. It's doubly disappointing because our grocery budget this month is really tight and having more fresh produce would have been great.

On the upside, tomatoes and peppers have been slowly chugging along this season and seem to have hit their second wind. For weeks I was getting a couple tomatoes here and there, and now the plants are all decked out. I was worried I'd only ever get two anaheim peppers out of the two plants, but they suddenly put out a bunch of flowers and are starting to fruit. I have one ceyenne pepper plant that has been steadily trying to bury me in peppers all season, but thankfully they're small so it's attempts have been somewhat thwarted. Gonna dry them and grind them up and cover everything with 'em.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
Interesting-looking bug on my escarole, any ideas? It's about 7mm long.

I hate bugs but I want to learn the common ones around here so I know when to freak out.

e: google suggests red banded leafhopper?

toe knee hand fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 30, 2014

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011
Harvested my first anything ever. :woop:

Two jalapeņo plants worth, I left some of the smaller ones on so hopefully they will grow bigger. A solitary Hot wax at the top there.

...now what to with them.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Dilettante. posted:

Harvested my first anything ever. :woop:

Two jalapeņo plants worth, I left some of the smaller ones on so hopefully they will grow bigger. A solitary Hot wax at the top there.

...now what to with them.
If you've got a gas stove or grill, it's really easy to roast them and that makes them soft and less spicy, as well as adding a nice smokey flavor - once they're scorched a little, you can scrape off the skins with any knife or even maybe a spoon with a good edge. At that point you've got the pepper equivalent of sun-dried tomatoes, and you can use them, freeze some, and then just toss them into whatever you happen to be cooking.

Just be sure to cut out the seeds unless you like :supaburn: if they're hot. ;)

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Hardy kiwi needs a male and female for pollination so that could be why one had no fruit. I hope whatever they are climbing is sturdy because they will get huge and pull weaker structures down.

Seriously this is good advice. Kiwi are like a tasty fruit producing kudzu. My parents' vines have destroyed their trellis (made of 6" posts) at least four times now.

dangittj
Jan 25, 2006

The Force is strong with this one
I need to buy a scale so I can see how many tomatoes I've actually gotten. I can go outside every other day and pick a 1 gallon ice cream bucket overflowing with tomatoes. And all I have are two plants that have even gotten so big they are toppled over and overtaking everything.

Anybody have any experience with hydroponic gardening? I'm debating running an indoor hydroponic garden over the winter. Kind of wandering what are some good plants for hydroponic besides lettuce.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
loving cherry tomatoes. Most of the tomatoes the ex-roommate planted are cherry tomatoes, so I have 4 different cherry tomato plants (all but one are huge and sprawling) and currently like 10 lbs of ripe tiny tomatoes in the fridge (at this point I don't care I just don't want fruit flies all over the house, gently caress flavor) that are obnoxious to blanche and peel, all need to be individually rinsed of pollen/dirt/etc, and no loving clue what to do with them all - gonna try throwing a bunch into the cuisinart and cooking them into paste or something, I guess.

Also, maybe shish-ka-bobs.

Any other suggestions?

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

coyo7e posted:

loving cherry tomatoes. Most of the tomatoes the ex-roommate planted are cherry tomatoes, so I have 4 different cherry tomato plants (all but one are huge and sprawling) and currently like 10 lbs of ripe tiny tomatoes in the fridge (at this point I don't care I just don't want fruit flies all over the house, gently caress flavor) that are obnoxious to blanche and peel, all need to be individually rinsed of pollen/dirt/etc, and no loving clue what to do with them all - gonna try throwing a bunch into the cuisinart and cooking them into paste or something, I guess.

Any other suggestions?

I make mine into sauce with straight-up blending. They're definitely sweeter, though, so taste before you add any sweetening ingredients if you do that.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.
Lots of tiny caprese salads on skewers.

Also put a cast-iron pan on the stove(no oil) and just toss them on there to roast. Once they turn brownish-black on the bottom they should pop and start smelling fantastic, I find they're great on eggs of any kind like that.

e: \/\/ Immersion blenders take care of skin handily. I've never skinned a single tomato in any of my sauces and you'd never know after I've simmered it for a while and they hit it with the stick blender for a few moments.

Kilersquirrel fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

coyo7e posted:

Any other suggestions?

We made some pasta sauce out of a bunch of yellow pear tomatoes a couple of years ago. I think we just ground up the whole things, then cooked it. It was actually quite tasty, though I don't think it looked as good as sauce made from red tomatoes. You'd get the occasional piece of skin in the sauce, but it wasn't a big deal.