Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Another bird question for getting an impression of how loud/noisy they are in person - are bird shelters a thing like for cats and dogs, or am I better off going to a local pet store?

Sorry if these are noob questions about birds - I know a lot about cats from growing up with them, but not so much about pet birds. Never knew anyone who had one aside from a godawful noisy cockatoo in the neighborhood that you could hear half a dozen houses down the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Wizard of Smart posted:

As a Caique parent, I can tell you that you need to understand they socialize differently. They're like the dogs of the bird world, they love to wrestle each other in the wild, and will happily bite the hell out of you. Because they love you and that's how they play.

They're also very demanding. I have to pay way more attention to JJ than any of the others. They also get into trouble. Constantly. I can show you the pictures of her foot from where she chewed through a rope perch in one night and got tangled up in it.

They are also very, very loud. I've been surprised how loud they are, even for birds. I've got an audio recording of a morning at my house somewhere I'll try to find and upload for you. It's crazy.

These are things that you need to know, from one Caique fan to another, before you decide on one.

Yeah....I got 2.....Nothing like a Caique stereo in our hardwood floor living room.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
That was the sort of feedback I was looking for/worried about on caiques. I think they're beautiful and I've wanted one ever since I saw this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjZ7YU5HZ6Q

But practicality won out!

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

ahaha that video is hilarious

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Chili posted:

That was the sort of feedback I was looking for/worried about on caiques. I think they're beautiful and I've wanted one ever since I saw this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjZ7YU5HZ6Q

But practicality won out!

Fukkin' birds. :3:

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

mikerock posted:

ahaha that video is hilarious

You can swing em 'rounds!

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Also: 2:20 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g4g8Ibmw9g

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k

oh my GOD

that's amazing. I wonder where that bird is now.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Looking for a bit of advice and/or pitfalls to avoid as I'm going to begin clicker training with Monty tomorrow. I have a clicker, a target (yay for chopsticks), some foot toys for target interaction and plenty of treats. I've got the basics down but wondered if anyone's got any great success stories or things to avoid.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Tokyo didnt make it

Carfax Report
May 17, 2003

Ravage the land as never before, total destruction from mountain to shore!

Sociopastry posted:

Tokyo didnt make it

I'm so sorry. My condolences. You did an amazing job.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Is it okay if I say goodbye to my little buddy here? if not, I'll delete the post.

This is Tokyo. I got her at a pet shop as teh first bird I ever owned that was mine- just mine. She was a little hellbeast and I loved her from the moment I saw her. Her favorite activities were biting the hell out of me, playing with my hair, hiding in the hood of my hoodie, singing along to whatever music I had playing, antagonizing the cat and kissing Fuji, her cage mate. Tokyo was a tiny little thing and had a bad heart. I only had her for a short time, 5 months. But she was my little Tokyo and I loved her. This morning she finally succumbed to her bad heart.

She is survived by her boyfriend Fuji. He's already calling for her. I miss you already, Tokyo. I hope you're happy where you are and that you don't hurt and there'smillet forever. goodbye little girl.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Of course you can, and I'm so sorry for your loss. You really are an awesome owner and Tokyo was very fortunate to have met you.

greypearl
Jul 26, 2007
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Thank you for sharing Tokyo's pictures with us. You did everything you could for her, and she was sooooo lucky to feel the love and care you gave her. I know it's really hard right now, but I am glad that she wound up with you-- most people out there, even people who love and respect birds, would not have gone to the lengths you did. I think supporting an animal friend through its last bit of time on earth is one of the hardest things to do, but the value of the love you showed her is immeasurable. I'll be thinking of you and Fuji.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Oh Sociopastry I'm so sorry :( Rest in peace, Tokyo. You were a very good bird.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I am so sorry for you and little Fuji. :(

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
:(

Losing someone you love is really hard.

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k
Aw jeeze. I remember losing my first little parakeet. It still hurts.

You did everything right, but some parakeets just aren't built sturdy for the world. I hope you spend lots of good time with Fuji today.

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

I'm so sorry. Just cry it out for the next few days if you feel like it, and cuddle her bf loads. It'll help some.

I recently lost Cheeky too, to a bad burn from a stupid, stupid mistake and I haven't really mentioned that to this thread. Losing friends is so loving depressing.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

That really sucks :(

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Oh no. :( Sociopastry, Deadly Chlorine, so sorry for both of you.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Sorry for both of you :(

Sociopastry, you went way above and beyond the call, you're a great birdparent.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
You gave a good home and a great sendoff for a lovable little hellbeast. The world is less for not having more Tokyo to share

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Had a dumb idea for a GIF

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

syncs great to this System of a Down song I'm listening to

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Monty's new cage arrived yesterday. After lugging 30kg of awkwardly shaped box up two flights of stairs, the drat thing didn't have the right set of instructions. I forgot how fun frustrating new cages can be. Did some introducing to it yesterday and she did the totally wussy thing of not wanting to move on my finger but leaning as far away as possible from the cage, but soon enough she flew from her usual desktop perch to the built-in stand on the roof and then had a good look around inside. Should be moving her across to the new digs tonight if all goes well.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Someone's been stuffing their beak with blueberries

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I love seeing Inko updates. He's such a happy little bird now, you changed his life. :kimchi:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

He could repay me by deciding skin is not for tearing off and that cuddles would be a good thing, but noooo. :mad:

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

As of late, Boop has been grabbing onto fabric like sleeves and pants and flinging it around sort of like a dog does with a chew toy. She doesn't try to tear it off, just make it fling around.

Birds.

Wrecking Ball
Jul 16, 2011
Sociopastry, nooo! Your poor little girl. :(
As another poster above mentioned, it's true that you'll always miss your little one. Both my previous budgies also lived very short lives. I had re-occuring budgie dreams years after they passed..
Give extra love to Fuji.

And sorry to hear about Cheeky, Deadly Chlorine.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Alrighty....

He/She is a Turquoise Green Cheek Conure!

We're getting it sexed and will be hearing back in a few days!

It was a long drive and bird was very quiet, in fact the first time I've heard anything out of bird was when I just snuck up on it to take its picture.

At the bird store (MD Bird Farm) he/she was the sweetest one. Lots of scritches and cuddles, since moving to the house, bird has been very skittish but that makes sense as its whole world was just flipped upside down.

Once we get the gender, we'll pick a name and hold a very religious ceremony where we serve potato salad and millet.

Kima and Bubbles hardly seem to care whatsoever about this, Bubbles was a little chirpy when I took him over to new bird's cage, but that's about it.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

New bird hell yes :birddrugs:

Turqoise GCCs are so pretty! Once s/he is situated make sure to handle him loads for the proper cuddly green cheek experience :3:

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

New conure is a real cutie :kimchi:

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Don't worry, he will warm up fast. GCCs preferred method of dealing with new scary person seems to be to snuggle with that person until they are no longer scary and then snuggle some more!

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

Jose Oquendo posted:

Had a dumb idea for a GIF

http://www.leagueofpirates.com/sirvival/queuedance.html

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

So I discovered that Myrtille was sick this weekend, and took him to the vet this morning. He'd been pasting his vent since I got him, and I finally got around to looking at why that is. Turns out he's got parasites and an intestinal infection, so I got a vermifuge and some antibiotics to give him, and hopefully he'll start feeling better.

He's been really sleepy and tired recently, and I've seen him throw up at the bottom of his cage at least once.

Anyway, he's been quarantined from citron for the time being, and it's driving him nuts.

Poor bird.

edit: He's trying to dig an escape tunnel through his birdseed now.

Condiv fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 1, 2014

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Oh no, feel better Myrtille. :( Are budgie breeders notoriously shady? Seems as though our thread has had rotten luck lately.

Wrecking Ball
Jul 16, 2011
Yeah I think it's because they are just so easy to breed and keep a ton of, and they are very common to have for a pet. I've been hearing these days that most budgies are living shorter lifespans and getting lots of cancers and what not. Used to be able to get 15-20 years out of them, one of my previous birds only lived to about 3.

I've booked an appointment with an avian vet for this Thursday for an overall checkup with Milly. Sometimes I think she might have mites/ a respiratory infection. She pants a lot (and I think I can hear some clicking) and sometimes I see tail bobbing. I don't know if I am being paranoid and imagining any of this, but I should probably go check anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Get well soon Myrtille!

Wrecking Ball posted:

I've booked an appointment with an avian vet for this Thursday for an overall checkup with Milly. Sometimes I think she might have mites/ a respiratory infection. She pants a lot (and I think I can hear some clicking) and sometimes I see tail bobbing. I don't know if I am being paranoid and imagining any of this, but I should probably go check anyways.

If there's clicking sounds and tail bobbing then you're probably not. If it's mites, you'll have to deep clean the cage and area around it to be sure of them not just coming back-and throw out rope/wood perches etc since the mites can survive in them. If it's another infection, it could be something like damp newspaper or poo left for too long causing issues. There's also any aerosols, air fresheners, etc. that could be the cause. My zebra finch had a bad breathing problem (and we never knew what it was in the end, as a vet visit would probably have killed him from stress while he was sick) so I ended up doing a lot of reading about the topic. Sooner rather than later is essential if it were mites, so it's great that she's going for a visit soon.