Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Also, if you want Space Persia look to the Thousand Sons. In addition to the obvious Egyptian theme, A Thousand Sons gives them a distinct Persian undercurrent, especially Zoroastrianism - one of their main characters is even named Ahriman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
At least the black Marines are the good guys and not the thieves of the Space Marines.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

maev posted:

The Word Bearers were goth pale in the descriptions from the Word Bearers trilogy, while this might be ten thousand years of warp skin lightening I always thought they resembled highly ornate Catholic madmen. Choosing to render them dusky skinned or 'persian' as ADB said isn't bad in itself, but is clearly a bit of a space muslim vibe. You can call it babylonian or 'abrahamic' but it doesn't stand entirely well with me that the most fanatical religious evil marines are now middle eastern.

This might come across as double standards or whatever but when you deliberately change a legion's ethnicity to 'match' their underlying theme it becomes problematic.

ADB's word bearers are pale also, if I remember correctly. The native people on that planet that the Ultramarines toasted were the dusky-skinned ones.

Edit: other highly fanatical religious evil marines: Black Templars, Red Hunters, Raptor cult troops and cult troops in general... Word Bearers are the only Chaos marine legion to have religion as their central shtick but they hardly have a monopoly on it in the 40k universe. I say this as someone who generally goes out of his way to get offended about this sort of thing. If ADB actually changed them to be super tan or whatever, I might see it.

Edit again: to be clear, I might be wrong about what ADB wrote. Post some quotes and I'll change my tune.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 28, 2014

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

kanonvandekempen posted:

You don't see how a bunch of religious zealots, with brown skin, from a desert environment remind you of a certain group of people on earth? And when those religious zealots are made out to be the most evil space marines of all the evil space marines, you don't think that's problematic?

Yeah sounds pretty anti-semitic to me too.

If you want space arabs that's Tallarn.

berzerkmonkey posted:

No, no - you're all wrong! When people race to conclusions like that, they are protecting the downtrodden who obviously can't speak for themselves. :rolleyes:

Again, someone inferring something that isn't there - Lorgar has golden skin, not brown. Nowhere does it state that any of the Word Bearers are brown-skinned.

In addition, the Word Bearers were zealots for the Emperor before Colchis and Lorgar even entered the picture.

And not like golden like a tan, golden as in literally inked in gold tattoos

VanSandman posted:

At least the black Marines are the good guys and not the thieves of the Space Marines.

I was legit annoyed when they retconned them to not actually be black people

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 28, 2014

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Salamanders moved into our system a week ago, and all our pict screens are missing?

Heretics

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Cream_Filling posted:

Yeah sounds pretty anti-semitic to me too.

If you want space arabs that's Tallarn.

And not like golden like a tan, golden as in literally inked in gold tattoos

Celestial Lions are legit black in ADB's Blood and Fire and seem to be rater cool guys, as far as Dorn-descended chapters go.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Cream_Filling posted:

Wasn't it Ward who did the "they're black because of a flaw in their gene-seed!" retcon?

Maybe it can be ret-retconned now that he is gone.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
It isn't a flaw - their geneseed darkens their skin as a protection against to the high levels of radiation of their homeworld.

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster

PupsOfWar posted:

Wasn't it Ward who did the "they're black because of a flaw in their gene-seed!" retcon?

Maybe it can be ret-retconned now that he is gone.

No for once it wasn't Ward that did that, that was Nick Kyme in the Salamanders stories and if you really believe him then it was the editor or something like that who forced him to make the change.

So it was stupidity and/or executive meddling that caused the retcon.

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster

berzerkmonkey posted:

It isn't a flaw - their geneseed darkens their skin as a protection against to the high levels of radiation of their homeworld.

I distinctively remember they were actually black in the old editions.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

berzerkmonkey posted:

I thought this was the Salamanders, who are black skin/red eyes a la Darth Maul.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

kanonvandekempen posted:

You don't see how a bunch of religious zealots, with brown skin, from a desert environment remind you of a certain group of people on earth? And when those religious zealots are made out to be the most evil space marines of all the evil space marines, you don't think that's problematic?

lol was this poo poo written with a straight face?

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster
Any opinion on Gav Thorpe? I heard he was not very good and i need to know if that is true because i was given a Omnibus writen by him.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Sramaker posted:

Any opinion on Gav Thorpe? I heard he was not very good and i need to know if that is true because i was given a Omnibus writen by him.

He's pretty bad, but if the damage is done and you already have the book, go ahead and try it, you can always dump it later if it's awful.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Sramaker posted:

No for once it wasn't Ward that did that, that was Nick Kyme in the Salamanders stories and if you really believe him then it was the editor or something like that who forced him to make the change.

So it was stupidity and/or executive meddling that caused the retcon.

I don't believe him, I think it was him. Either that or Kyme tried to be "culturally sensitive" and the editor's butthole started puckering at Nick Kyme's depiction of black people and said, you know what Nick, the contracts are already signed so why don't we just say that they're not actually black they just have magic black skin.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I thought this was the Salamanders, who are black skin/red eyes a la Darth Maul.

Yeah it is - VanSandman posted: "At least the black Marines are the good guys and not the thieves of the Space Marines.." and I assume he was talking about Salamanders...

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The thieves of the Space Marines would be the generically white Blood Ravens.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Night Lords no?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Waroduce posted:

Night Lords no?

They're more terrorists in the purest sense of the word. Blood Ravens are the ones with a tendency to grab everything that isn't nailed down and bring a crowbar for the things that are.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Night Lords are terrorists on a scale that would make Al Quaeda or the Ustasha look like girl scouts. The theft is just a small side benefit.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Cythereal posted:

They're more terrorists in the purest sense of the word. Blood Ravens are the ones with a tendency to grab everything that isn't nailed down and bring a crowbar for the things that are.

And then they steal the nails too.

On a more serious note, how is Down Amongst the Dead Men? Or Baneblade and its spinoff short stories? I'm especially keen on the second one because, you know, Baneblade.

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster

Cythereal posted:

The Blood Ravens have that in common with the Thousands Sons or at least the pre-Heresy ones.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Sramaker posted:

The Blood Ravens have that in common with the Thousands Sons or at least the pre-Heresy ones.

Isn't it more like, the Thousand Sons were interested in acquiring and cataloging artifacts, but it wasn't like the fanon version of the Blood Ravens where they're like, "Oh, yeah, we just found this Custodes bolter lying on a battlefield, it's ours now"?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

JerryLee posted:

Isn't it more like, the Thousand Sons were interested in acquiring and cataloging artifacts, but it wasn't like the fanon version of the Blood Ravens where they're like, "Oh, yeah, we just found this Custodes bolter lying on a battlefield, it's ours now"?

Uh, it's not exactly fanon when the Blood Raven armories include relics of around thirty different Space Marine chapters (some turned to Chaos), the Custodes, the Sisters of Battle, the Inquisition, and a freaking daemon primarch's weapon, assuming the Dawn of War games are canon. Blood Magpies.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

And a ton of those items have flavor text like "This bolter bears the mark of the Blood Angels; nobody knows how it came to be in the Blood Raven armory" or "The Blood Ravens looted this off of a Gray Knight's corpse" or "This thing owned by the Blood Ravens dates back to the Great Crusade and nobody knows of any legit way they could have gotten their hands on it".

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Khizan posted:

And a ton of those items have flavor text like "This bolter bears the mark of the Blood Angels; nobody knows how it came to be in the Blood Raven armory" or "The Blood Ravens looted this off of a Gray Knight's corpse" or "This thing owned by the Blood Ravens dates back to the Great Crusade and nobody knows of any legit way they could have gotten their hands on it".

Or the gun located next to an inquistors corpse.

Man, remember when I had my first argument with Baron Bifford over this? Good times.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Or the Chaos items with descriptions like "We peeled this off a dead Alpha Legion marine back in Dawn of War 1," or "This was retrieved from a Death Guard battleship."

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Cythereal posted:

Uh, it's not exactly fanon when the Blood Raven armories include relics of around thirty different Space Marine chapters (some turned to Chaos), the Custodes, the Sisters of Battle, the Inquisition, and a freaking daemon primarch's weapon, assuming the Dawn of War games are canon. Blood Magpies.

Right, I might have phrased that poorly but I didn't want people to think I was representing a 1d4chan article as full-blown canon. :v:

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster
Oh uh i thought there was another chapter/legion that did that before the Blood Ravens were created, oh well sorry.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Sramaker posted:

I read his Last Chancers omnibus when I won it in the first or second Oath thread. It was merely okay. It was basically the Dirty Dozen in space and it was readable.

JerryLee posted:

Right, I might have phrased that poorly but I didn't want people to think I was representing a 1d4chan article as full-blown canon. :v:
Yeah, but it's basically canon. The Blood Ravens were created specifically so Relic could tell stories without stepping on GW's toes too much, and (according to one of the designers of the game who used to post in the DoWII thread here) he had to get every single line approved by someone at GW to include it in the game. It apparently took many beers and a few late nights to get "Drive me closer, I want to hit them with my sword!" included in the game.

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster

SRM posted:

I read his Last Chancers omnibus when I won it in the first or second Oath thread. It was merely okay. It was basically the Dirty Dozen in space and it was readable.

Any opinion on his Path of the Farseer, Path of the Outcast, Malekith, Shadow King and Caledor? I searched on google for reviews or similar stuff but didn't find any useful one.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Sramaker posted:

Any opinion on his Path of the Farseer, Path of the Outcast, Malekith, Shadow King and Caledor? I searched on google for reviews or similar stuff but didn't find any useful one.

The Eldar Path books are bad.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Finished Vengeful Spirit, pretty long for a HH book and most of it was pointless and disjointed.

Nice story about a new perpetual woman who made a promise to JOHN! She says Okay a lot, this is weird and funny plus Abnett wrote it so lets write it again. She reads a danish book (or is it from the ancient Faroes of Gyptia?!) to her kids and brainwashes some ultramarines to help her lock a door she doesn't actually lock but ok thanks mcneil for this story. Also a Blood Angel climbs a tower.

Perpetuals are beyond tiresome, Abnett pulls off John decently occasionally but then more and more are added and they start doing increasingly more important stuff and other authors take charge of them then all of a sudden the Horus Heresy has at its core a bunch of Highlander immortals calling huge shots from nowhere, stabbing Vulkan recruiting the Alpha Legion locking the Door on Molech and so on.

Garviel Loken is insufferable as are his band of chuckle brothers. Legion stereotypes together in a squad follows predictable lines. Multiple times Chaos makes 'offers' and are rejected Cartoon Network style in what seems to be exactly the same scene over and over but with different names. Horus' offer to Loken and the subsequent rejection just makes the HH series weaker and more one dimensional. It would have actually been interesting and unexpected if it occurred differently but that's already expecting overmuch from Mcneil's book.

The book would have benefited a great deal from a massive refocusing towards the key players in the book which had the basic ideas done well. The Sons of Horus and their gradual descent into Cthonian tradition and melding it with Chaos, the new direction of the legion and the Mournival, Fulgrim and Mortarion getting more than spot appearances. I enjoyed the plot device but it was far too few pages and the slog to get to it felt like a waste of my time indulging McNeil's bad writing and story telling.

I've really enjoyed other McNeil books but this one sets itself up with so much then proceeds to waste space with pointless characters, side stories and indulgences that it hurt to read most of the time.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
I thought it was fairly interesting that with the Unremembered Empire audiobook, the perpetuals were the only characters in 40k I've ever heard voiced with american accents. I like listening to the audiobooks before I reread if I can, just to hear if there's anything I didn't pick up on during the first read. The only thing that I don't like, but they can't really help, is the reading of primarchs. You have these massive demigods whose voices should come out like thunder and the reader doesn't really capture that but they're not really audio dramas either but hearing Magnus sound like an accountant is off-putting. Poor Angron sounded like an angry Barney Gumble from the simpsons. I did like how soft and kind Lorgar sounded though.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Khizan posted:

The best part about the Blood Raven flavour text were the items they made themselves. The text was like, 'this power axe was made to honour the noble Space Wolf, Ragnar Blackmane but when we tried to give it to him he laughed at us and told us to gently caress off so I guess you can have it now.'

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Blood Ravens are loyal 1000 sons so it makes sense in a way.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Sandweed posted:

Blood Ravens are loyal 1000 sons so it makes sense in a way.

whoa whoa, lets not go crazy here. Blood Ravens are a lovely chapter made up by Relic/THQ to sell DoW games.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
As opposed to lovely chapters made up to sell plastic miniatures

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kegslayer posted:

The best part about the Blood Raven flavour text were the items they made themselves. The text was like, 'this power axe was made to honour the noble Space Wolf, Ragnar Blackmane but when we tried to give it to him he laughed at us and told us to gently caress off so I guess you can have it now.'

There's also a funny one where they try to give a sword to either the Black Templars or Blood Angels, I forget which, and their chapter master goes "Blood Ravens? Who? Never heard of them."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

maev posted:

As opposed to lovely chapters made up to sell plastic miniatures

And books, but at least those lovely chapters are legit/canon.