Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

CountFosco posted:

Yeah, I didn't know any of this.

Let's be clear, I take zero pride in possessing this knowledge. Once this whole GURM thing is over, I do a slow fade off the interwebz. Maybe I'll take up knitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

ShaqDiesel posted:

Onnnnn the continent of westeros born and raised
In the red keep is where I...oh f**k this.

Oh my summer summer chiild, hey summerchild,
Time to sit back and not write

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

They should probably take the whole show on hiatus for a year so they can improve the quality of it. Season 4 was bad.

I suppose that makes it a faithful adaptation though...

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
ASOIAF is done for me at this point. Show and books. Since the show is done with all the good material, and the books are never coming out (or will be awful if they do), it's time to just bury the whole thing, move on, and be done with it.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

You'll be baaaack... No one really leaves it behind.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
It's like the war in that way.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

In my hazy half-awake state this morning I was scrolling through the newsfeed on Facebook and saw Mashable had the headline 'New Game of Thrones Book to Launch in October'. Turns out the fuckers just meant it's another book about Game of Thrones which GRRM has been working on instead.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

http://giferator.easports.com/

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

those are pretty excellent.

Octy posted:

In my hazy half-awake state this morning I was scrolling through the newsfeed on Facebook and saw Mashable had the headline 'New Game of Thrones Book to Launch in October'. Turns out the fuckers just meant it's another book about Game of Thrones which GRRM has been working on instead.

shill posted:

Desperate for more? Martin's doing just one promotional event before he gets back to work on The Winds of Winter. For $125, you can snag a ticket to the launch event at New York's Kaufmann Concert Hall, along with a signed copy of The World of Ice and Fire.

kcroy fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Sep 7, 2014

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

One character off. I blame GRRM.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Playing around with house words doesn't really yield anything funny, but this one came out well, so I'll share it anyway:

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Yessssss, the rage and frustration will once again build to a boiling point like it did when we were waiting for ADwD, and the bad thread will be reborn in a glorious new age of darkness, pain and GURRM-fiction. My (glistening) body is ready.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Yesssssss

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mr.48 posted:

Yessssss, the rage and frustration will once again build to a boiling point like it did when we were waiting for ADwD, and the bad thread will be reborn in a glorious new age of darkness, pain and GURRM-fiction. My (glistening) body is ready.

This but unironically.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

This but unironically.

Who said I was being ironic? The numerous iterations of the bad thread provided me with more entertainment over the years than anything GRRM has actually written.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I was being glib.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash

Outstanding work, here.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Damo posted:

ASOIAF is done for me at this point. Show and books. Since the show is done with all the good material, and the books are never coming out (or will be awful if they do), it's time to just bury the whole thing, move on, and be done with it.
Oh I don't know, I still kinda enjoy watching the whole thing unfold in a watching a trainwreck kind of way. Though I agree that I definitely won't be reading the next book if he ever manages to put it out (unless there's an overwhelming consensus that it's absolutely amazing) after the steaming heap of poo poo that is ADWD, and I'll be taking more of a "wait and see" attitude with watching any further seasons of the show now that they've reached unquestionably bad book territory (i.e. AFFC and ADWD) in the storyline.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
The worst is just the frustration of constantly being reminded of a dead story that has been in standstill for 14 years. Since it's become a pop culture mainstay now it's even harder to escape. I feel like I've gotten all the enjoyment from the first 3 books that I could now that the show has caught up to that point, and now it's time to move on, but the drat world won't let me! As if there is still more to come, when we all know there isn't. It's one thing to spend time thinking about a story that is alive, but when it's dead like this it feels like a waste of thought. If only I could delete it from my brain, now that I'm done with it.

Thanks a lot Jorge R R Martin.

Damo fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Sep 10, 2014

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I'm probably more likely to finish the show than the books. Watching cool people make faces at each other is more fun than reading GRRM's prose, even if both things are driven by equally terrible narratives.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash

PupsOfWar posted:

I'm probably more likely to finish the show than the books.

I think this is a moot point. The show might finish, the books never will.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
The show's going to finish unless it suddenly has a massive drop in viewers that doesn't recover before the show comes up for renewal, or if they signed something that lets GRRM kill it, which he would because he seems like the Phil Fish type.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Damo posted:

The worst is just the frustration of constantly being reminded of a dead story that has been in standstill for 14 years. Since it's become a pop culture mainstay now it's even harder to escape. I feel like I've gotten all the enjoyment from the first 3 books that I could now that the show has caught up to that point, and now it's time to move on, but the drat world won't let me! As if there is still more to come, when we all know there isn't. It's one thing to spend time thinking about a story that is alive, but when it's dead like this it feels like a waste of thought. If only I could delete it from my brain, now that I'm done with it.

We're supposed to be spiteful about the books never being finished in here, not morose :mad:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Damo posted:

depression

81sidewinder posted:

I think this is a moot point. The show might finish, the books never will.

bargaining

Intel&Sebastian posted:

We're supposed to be spiteful about the books never being finished in here, not morose :mad:

anger

Obviously we're mostly past denial at this point. (kaworu, looking at you.) Acceptance means not posting in the thread so here we are, got them all covered.

dogs named Charlie
Apr 5, 2009

by exmarx
Can I be bargaining and say it's okay if the books never end if we can have one more Dunk and Egg? Because the show is going to end, for sure, no bargain. It'll be different than what was imagined, but it'll be some sadsack easily predictable poo poo and I have the feeling Glurm has one more total reversal of plot before it's actually over.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

dogs named Charlie posted:

Can I be bargaining and say it's okay if the books never end if we can have one more Dunk and Egg? Because the show is going to end, for sure, no bargain. It'll be different than what was imagined, but it'll be some sadsack easily predictable poo poo and I have the feeling Glurm has one more total reversal of plot before it's actually over.

truthfully im really hoping dany dies in the first chapter of wow of dysentery. the long troll

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

this_is_hard posted:

truthfully im really hoping dany dies in the first chapter of wow of dysentery. the long troll
I would forgive GRRM for everything hes done before if he did this

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah seriously even if the rest of the book is just a record of Sandor milling turnips on gently caress-off island I'd still rate the book 10/10 for that.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

this_is_hard posted:

She dies and then there are three quick chapters of every character anywhere near meeereeeen spontaneously deciding "gently caress this place I'm going to westeros".

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

The show's going to finish unless it suddenly has a massive drop in viewers that doesn't recover before the show comes up for renewal, or if they signed something that lets GRRM kill it, which he would because he seems like the Phil Fish type.
I could see the GRRM getting arrested for the pictures on his DOS machine and then the entire IP becoming too politically toxic for HBO to continue.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

wukkar posted:

I could see the GRRM getting arrested for the pictures on his DOS machine and then the entire IP becoming too politically toxic for HBO to continue.
Wait, did I miss something? What pictures on his DOS machine? :catstare:

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

I'm going on a roadtrip and want something to listen to. Do you guys know any good audio books of the series? Specifically AFFC, since that's my favorite.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Militree posted:

I'm going on a roadtrip and want something to listen to. Do you guys know any good audio books of the series? Specifically AFFC, since that's my favorite.

the ones on audible by roy dotrice are pretty good

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Yeah, I enjoyed them a lot. Though Davos sounds like an actual pirate, Tyrion sounds like a leprechaun, female characters sound like extras in a Monty Python movie, and Dotrice can't figure out how to pronounce names like Brienne.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

mastajake posted:

Yeah, I enjoyed them a lot. Though Davos sounds like an actual pirate, Tyrion sounds like a leprechaun, female characters sound like extras in a Monty Python movie, and Dotrice can't figure out how to pronounce names like Brienne.

Brai-eeeeeeen

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

mastajake posted:

And Missandei sounds like a Japanese from a WWII era propaganda cartoon.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

mastajake posted:

Peh-tire

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Mr.48 posted:

Who said I was being ironic? The numerous iterations of the bad thread provided me with more entertainment over the years than anything GRRM has actually written.

I want to echo this statement, but like a warehouse rave that goes till noon the next day, around 7-8am poo poo starts to get wierd. But yeah the bad threads were always awesome, or awesomely horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Militree posted:

Roy Dotrice narrated the first three books and did an awesome job on them. He's really old though and when it was time to do the audiobook for AFFC when it originally came out in 2005 he couldn't do it. He was brought back to do ADWD and they had him do a new version of AFFC right around the same time, but he just wasn't the same imo. John Lee did the first version of AFFC and it's the one I prefer even though I love Dotrice on the first three books. Lee has a mellower voice and delivery, but it fits AFFC well.