Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

fullroundaction posted:

From 2004-2010 someone lied over and over and over to us but this time it will be different.

e: woops double post.

We never found out if the Hurley bird was real, and why it could scream Hurley, and what it meant. GOD drat HOLLYWOOD!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pot Pie
May 10, 2010

I really like this show. I read the book and enjoyed it, can definitely understand what people meant when they said it had a lighter touch.

On a second viewing I am wondering if Matt's leukemia is back. In his episode when he is unconscious for three days there's a little scene where a doctor comes in and says it's spreading. I thought it meant when he was a kid but after seeing the flashback episode where Laurie sees Matt's wife at the doctor's I'm not sure. It looks like his parents are there, but he is also an adult sitting on the table. I don't know, it just sort of jumped out at me when I watched it again. Maybe when his wife talked about having a scare every few years they were just setting up the possibility of it returning in the future.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Fragmented posted:

Same with Jill, but maybe its because she is soooo so pretty, I mean seriously those eyes could win or start wars. And anyone who thinks Jill is wierd is over 40 or has never been with many girls. She is exactly like an ex of mine. Rich girl that had a bad break up was all it took for her. I think holding hands in a circle when someone poofed and her mom bailing months later might just make a Jill.

Way to fawn over a minor

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Professor Shark posted:

Way to fawn over a minor

It was an odd post, but she's not a minor

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

You're right, she's 19 now, which I guess made her 18 when they filmed this.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Now that the source material is done with, they have to have an overall arc for the series as a whole. I guess the creators have to decide whether their show is going to be about the collapse of society or the healing of society after the event, and with the way the season ended I could see either way working. The optimism in that last scene could be interpreted as foreshadowing for the healing direction.

Or maybe they'll go with the True Detective/ American Horror story method of having each season be standalone stories.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

thathonkey posted:

Why do some people still think the show is going to address the mystery of the departure despite explicit evidence to the contrary?

Nobody here wants or expects this as far as I can tell, but for some reason half of the posts in this thread are people saying that they don't want or expect it.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Sep 13, 2014

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

Nobody here wants or expects this as far as I can tell, but for some reason half of the posts in this thread are people saying that they don't want or expect it.

I think the reason that people are posting that they don't want or expect the departure to be fully explained is because they don't want or expect it to be fully explained, yeah.

:psyduck:...

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Professor Shark posted:

You're right, she's 19 now, which I guess made her 18 when they filmed this.

You know you can say someone is good looking without wanting to gently caress them? I think The dude that plays Eric on Trueblood is hot as gently caress but I'm not going gay anytime soon.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Fragmented posted:

You know you can say someone is good looking without wanting to gently caress them? I think The dude that plays Eric on Trueblood is hot as gently caress but I'm not going gay anytime soon.

lol sure thing duder

Fragmented posted:

Same with Jill, but maybe its because she is soooo so pretty, I mean seriously those eyes could win or start wars. And anyone who thinks Jill is wierd is over 40 or has never been with many girls. She is exactly like an ex of mine. Rich girl that had a bad break up was all it took for her. I think holding hands in a circle when someone poofed and her mom bailing months later might just make a Jill.

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Sep 13, 2014

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'm sorry if anyone has come in here and already had this asked and answered, but I don't want to read the thread because I haven't seen past episode one. That said, my question: how did the season turn out? If I wasn't very interested by the end of episode 1, does it turn around?

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

blue squares posted:

I'm sorry if anyone has come in here and already had this asked and answered, but I don't want to read the thread because I haven't seen past episode one. That said, my question: how did the season turn out? If I wasn't very interested by the end of episode 1, does it turn around?
Episode 3 is brilliant. You should watch that next. If you like it, finish out the season. If not, this show isn't for you.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Ersatz posted:

Episode 3 is brilliant. You should watch that next. If you like it, finish out the season. If not, this show isn't for you.

Thank you, I'll watch 2&3 and see how I'm doing.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I think you'll probably enjoy the season more if you can watch it all over the course of a couple of days. There are some great episodes, and then there are some really uneven ones.

IMHO, the season finished with a very strong trio of episodes.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Paradoxish posted:

I don't expect it but I'm way more interested in the actual event than most of everything that happened on the show. Even if they don't want to spell out a reason, I really wish they'd give more info about the world at large instead of just a few people in a small town. How did it affect, the governments or the economy of the world? Were there many orphaned kids with disappeared parents? World leaders or CEOs that suddenly vanished?

I know it's unfair to want a completely different show, but you know...

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
The whole show is basically an exploration of a post-Gary Busey society

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Dr_Amazing posted:

I don't expect it but I'm way more interested in the actual event than most of everything that happened on the show. Even if they don't want to spell out a reason, I really wish they'd give more info about the world at large instead of just a few people in a small town. How did it affect, the governments or the economy of the world? Were there many orphaned kids with disappeared parents? World leaders or CEOs that suddenly vanished?

I know it's unfair to want a completely different show, but you know...

Luckily for you if this show goes more than another season they're going to have to branch outside of Mapleton to keep things interesting unless they plan on introducing a bunch of new characters. Or at the very least rely heavily on flashback episodes to what you were alluding to.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Controversial opinion: The GR are tragic heroes. :colbert:

Even though Survivor's Guilt isn't a thing anymore, (it was wrapped into PTSD a while back), almost every character in the Leftovers is mired in it. People were either shattered by the mystical nature of the Departure (Kevin, Nora, Laurie, etc), or by the collateral effect the Departure took upon others. Jill didn't lose anyone close during the Departure, but it created the ultimate conditions that broke up her family. Even where there is a definite, logical cause for a tragedy, it is our nature to blame ourselves. If a loved one dies in a car accident, one might retrace the events leading up to it and blame themselves for whatever they did that contributed to bringing their loved one to the wrong place at the wrong time. If Matt hadn't gotten a completely clean bill of health, for example, they wouldn't have left the clinic at the same time and thus avoided the accident that made Donna a mute.

At our most basic level, we're problem solving monkeys who recognize cause and effect. A completely random departure doesn't fit with how we understand the world to work. Given a completely random event, it is our nature to impose some sort of reason upon it. Almost every character we've seen so far who is Not Okay has a reason to blame themselves. But that's crazy. It isn't logical to believe that you somehow managed to wish grandma into the corn field and it certainly doesn't explain why millions of assholes you don't know vanished also. Government studies will address and eliminate possible causes (not radiation, not the commies, the Moon didn't seem to do anything weird) but there will never be an official finding that "you didn't cause this." And so, in quiet moments, how can it be anyone else's fault?

Now enter the nihilistic, antagonistic GR. Every day, there they are, silently judging you for what you know you did. Sure you hate them, but it burns because they can see your secret shame. If you feel bad enough about it, you join them and spend your days rubbing peoples' noses in it. All day everyday until you pull your memorial day prank and you get shived by a lady who coached your daughter's soccer team. The GR gives all these people a target for their guilt and rage and a motivation to let it go. I'm thinking of the parents of the down syndrome kid as they threw his body-double into the fire saying to themselves "We're letting him go so you don't get the satisfaction of making us hurt. He wouldn't have wanted us to hurt."

In their own way, Patti's merry band of assholes are a fulfilling a Christ-like role. Through their knowing sacrifice, they have forced catharsis by offering themselves up as an alter upon which people can sacrifice their internalized grief and anger.

Cactus posted:

Or maybe they'll go with the True Detective/ American Horror story method of having each season be standalone stories.

I really hope they go this route and we pick up with a new group of characters that occasionally directly or indirectly interacts with the Mapleton storyline continuing on its own elsewhere.

Edit: SO MANY TYPOS.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 14, 2014

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I'd be fine with more flashbacks given how strong the penultimate episode was (not much of a spoiler but jic)

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

WeAreTheRomans posted:

The whole show is basically an exploration of a post-Gary Busey society
Haha, I just remembered that Busey was gone. Didn't an earlier episode touch on the fact that the entire main cast for some show disappeared? Can't remember which show it was though, was it Seinfeld?

Subterfrugal posted:

Controversial opinion: The GR are tragic heroes. :colbert:

Even though Survivor's Guilt isn't a thing anymore, (it was wrapped into PTSD a while back), almost every character in the Leftovers is mired in it. People were either shattered by the mystical nature of the Departure (Kevin, Nora, Laure, etc), or by the collateral effect the Departure took upon others. Jill didn't lose anyone close during the Departure created the ultimate conditions that broke up her family. Even where there is a definite, logical cause for a tragedy, it is our nature to blame ourselves. If a loved one dies in a car accident, one might retrace the events leading up to it and blame themselves for whatever they did to contributed to bringing their loved one to the wrong place at the wrong time. If Matt hadn't gotten a completely clean bill of health, for example, they wouldn't have left the clinic at the same time and thus avoided the accident that made Donna a mute.

At our most basic level, we're problem solving monkeys who recognize cause and effect. A completely random departure doesn't fit with how we understand the world to work. Given a completely random event, it is our nature to impose some sort of reason upon it. Almost every character we've seen so far who is Not Okay has a reason to blame themselves. But that's crazy. It isn't logical to believe that you somehow managed to wish grandma into the corn field and it certainly doesn't explain why millions of assholes you don't know vanished also. Government studies will address and eliminate possible causes (not radiation, not the commies, the Moon didn't seem to do anything weird) but there will never be an official finding that "you didn't cause this." And so, in quiet moments, how can it be anyone else's fault?

Now enter the nihilistic, antagonistic GR. Every day, there they are, silently judging you for what you know you did. Sure you hate them, but it burns because they can see your secret shame. If you feel bad enough about it, you join them and spend your days rubbing peoples' noses in it. All day everyday until you pull your memorial day prank and you get shived by a lady coached your daughter's soccer team. The GR gives all these people a target for their guilt and rage and a motivation to let it go. I'm thinking of the parents of the down syndrome kid as they threw his body-double into the fire saying to themselves "We're letting him go so you don't get the satisfaction of making us hurt. He wouldn't have wanted us to hurt."

In their own way, Patti's merry band of assholes are a fulfilling a Christ-like role. Through their knowing sacrifice, they have forced catharsis by offering themselves up as an alter upon which people can sacrifice their internalized grief and anger.

I really hope they go this route and we pick up with a new group of characters that occasionally directly or indirectly interacts with the Mapleton storyline continuing on its own elsewhere.
This is a Good Post

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Yeah I don't think people think about how out of the world crazy it would be to have someone or SEE someone poof like that. You would start questioning everything. If you are religious you would question your faith. If you aren't religious you would question everything.

Its not something our brains would be equipped to handle. There's already enough questions about the nature of the universe but this would just put you in a constant state of why why why. Honestly I'm suprised something like nuclear war didn't happen within days.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Unless I missed it, we've not yet seen any actual footage of anybody disappearing. I wonder what the thought process was in the writer's room that led to that decision.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Cactus posted:

Unless I missed it, we've not yet seen any actual footage of anybody disappearing. I wonder what the thought process was in the writer's room that led to that decision.

That it would be cheesier to show it than let the audience think about what it would have looked like.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

That it would be cheesier to show it than let the audience think about what it would have looked like.

I know it isnt at all what the show is about, but I'm guessing they didnt really fancy going into the details, such as
Were there piles of clothes left everywhere?
Did the departure cause a load of mini-thunderclaps as the air rushed to fill the vacuum ?
Did people that had just eaten leave little piles of half-digested food behind?

Etc...

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Cactus posted:

That would've been a harmful gesture of tone-setting cheeseball camp and what they did instead was way more legit and mysterious.

Last Chance posted:

Haha, I just remembered that Busey was gone. Didn't an earlier episode touch on the fact that the entire main cast for some show disappeared? Can't remember which show it was though, was it Seinfeld?

quote:

At HBO’s premiere party for The Leftovers, we asked showrunner Damon Lindelof if he could explain how the Perfect Strangers gag came to be. “That [came from] a writer on the show — Jackie Hoyt is her name,” he said. “She was just like, out of nowhere one day, ‘Wouldn’t it be amazing if the entire cast of Perfect Strangers departed?’ And we were all like ‘That would be awesome.’ And what was interesting was, Mark Linn-Baker later came in and read for a part on the show without being aware that we had done this. And he was good, too. But it was like, “Oh, we can’t cast him, because Mark Linn-Baker as himself is no longer there.”

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Cactus posted:

I know it isnt at all what the show is about, but I'm guessing they didnt really fancy going into the details, such as
Did the departure cause a load of mini-thunderclaps as the air rushed to fill the vacuum ?

Etc...

Science always makes fantasy into an absurd comedy of ignorance.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Subterfrugal posted:

At our most basic level, we're problem solving monkeys who recognize cause and effect. A completely random departure doesn't fit with how we understand the world to work. Given a completely random event, it is our nature to impose some sort of reason upon it. Almost every character we've seen so far who is Not Okay has a reason to blame themselves. But that's crazy. It isn't logical to believe that you somehow managed to wish grandma into the corn field and it certainly doesn't explain why millions of assholes you don't know vanished also.

It's something I noticed pretty early on. I think everyone that vanished actually did seem like they had someone wishing them away at the moment of departure. I'm still half hoping the final episode shows a girl holding a genie lamp crying that she didn't really mean it. And the genie is just like "Hey you wished for all the annoying people to disappear."

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

A montage of people disappearing: A man at Disney world is excited to see splash mountain has a very short line then horrified his wife and daughter are gone, A local band is disappointed so many people left during their show before realizing it's a global phenomenon, A human pyramid collapses when several members disappear, Police officers are congratulating a detective on finally catching a criminal he's been chasing for years the criminal vanishes moments later, A man adopted as a child finally meets his long lost father only to have him vanish seconds into the meeting, A cheerleader thrown in to the air comes crashing to the ground when no one is there to catch her, a stage magician is preforming a vanishing act and his assistant is taken. The audience is delighted but he knows it's not part of the act, The only 2 people that know how to mix coca-cola (they can't fly on the same plane in case it crashes) both vanish bringing the company to its knees.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Wayne was the wish master, who will step up and claim the title again? Wonder how hard he has to wish to make it come true.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Tommy of course. He already gave two people their wishes physically.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Cactus posted:

Jimmy and Jill were holding hands in a circle for the science project at her school when one of the kids holding hands poofed. Kevin was all up in some strange when poof. So yes we've only seen the after moments. That's actually a good point. With all the video cameras and surveillance and cell phones everywhere there would have to be videos.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Cactus posted:

Etc...

I think the show actually shows all of these, and the answer to all of them is no.

Clothes vanish with people but objects they're holding don't. Food and poop all vanished with the people, and I would guess magical new air replaced the vanished people.

Though I am imagining a rapture that just leaves piles of lovely clothes everywhere with a loud crack.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

The one thig it hasn't addressed is that if foetuses/babies can vanish from inside a woman, then it stands to reason that a pregnant woman can vanish leaving a baby to plop messily on the floor. Urgh.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Which means season 2 better have a scene where someone slides on one and a slide whistle plays.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Junkenstein posted:

The one thig it hasn't addressed is that if foetuses/babies can vanish from inside a woman, then it stands to reason that a pregnant woman can vanish leaving a baby to plop messily on the floor. Urgh.

Probably not if this "they were wished away" theory is true (probably isnt but Lindelof could go, well, Full Lindelof on this poo poo).

Also, that is loving gross. Thanks for making consider it.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Full Lindelof would be to just not explain it at all.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I'd be ok with the answer being wishes granted. It's just magical enough and a concept most people could grasp. Least it would be better than magnetism.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
Whose a guy got to pay to see a little kid plop down on a see-saw real hard, huh?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I agree I think they just didn't show it because it is impossible to do without coming off as cheesy. I've been trying to picture it in my head and I can't really think of an elegant way to show it. I figured they would at least cut back to the monitor and show the fetus was no longer there though.

Someone literally disappearing from frame in a blink with no other effect would just look cheap (but based on the context we see, it seems likely that this is what the departure was like - people instantly blinked out of existence along with everything on their person). Any sound effect I could think of would be cheesy. Some sort of CG would look cheesy no matter what effect it is going for.

Do you want to see a portal open up underneath the departeds' feet and theyh fall through it or perhaps some sort of loud pop and you get to see their body implode on itself?

Not explicitly showing the departure is perfectly in line with the show's mission statement to not explore the specifics of the event but rather the aftermath and its effect on society.

Ashrik posted:

Whose a guy got to pay to see a little kid plop down on a see-saw real hard, huh?

You get to see an accident that leaves a woman paralyzed which was caused by a car suddenly becoming devoid of its driver. That's pretty much the darker version of what you're hoping for here :v:

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 15, 2014

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
It could be a powerful image if done right. I think I mentioned it before, but Flash Forward had those creepy scenes of entire stadiums all passing out at once and it worked well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

I always figured there would be some kind of disruption in the audio/video. Like some minor EMP like disturbance, then the video returns to normal.

• Locked thread