Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I doubt we will ever find out what happened to most of the Primarchs. The mystery around them is too integral to the story, I think. Although having one or more show up in the 41k timeline would be a hoot.
If they do an advancement of the setting like The End Times they've been doing for Fantasy, that'd be pretty neat to bring back a primarch or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Imotekh, Phaeron of the Chaos Gods might be a little too much to swallow though.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Deptfordx posted:

Jesus, the guy who actually writes the drat book only gets 5% on average?!?
A friend of mine is married to a fantasy author who has, checking wikipedia, 20+ published novels and another 10+ short stories to her name. He put it as "I pay the bills, she pays the fun" when I asked.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I doubt we will ever find out what happened to most of the Primarchs. The mystery around them is too integral to the story, I think. Although having one or more show up in the 41k timeline would be a hoot.

Shaking the aetherplasmic road dust from his armor, The Khan emerges from a weeping rend in the weak fabric of realspace. Having been chasing the ghosts and daemons of the past and future through the tortured un-landscapes of the empyrean for the last ten thousand years, he instantly surmises his location with his genehanced physiology. A curl bends the corners of his mouth into a frown. Drawing his curved sabres and issuing a wet leopard growl, the Khan decalres "I'm here, to take it to the limit."

-excerpt from all new Horus Heresy novel by editor/author Nick Kyme, with foreword by C.S. Goto.

In all reality though any primarch that escaped the warp to return to the Imperium as it is today would embark on a crusade to destroy it because of how rear end backwards it's become.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
isnt russ rumored to be fuckin around in the 13th crusade

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Question: Who is Angron's rival on the loyal sides? By that I mean, I know there is deep hate between Thousand Sons and Space Wolves, Alpha Legion and Ultrasmurfs, Word Bearers and Ultrasmurfs, and Emperor's Children and Iron Hands.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Question: Who is Angron's rival on the loyal sides? By that I mean, I know there is deep hate between Thousand Sons and Space Wolves, Alpha Legion and Ultrasmurfs, Word Bearers and Ultrasmurfs, and Emperor's Children and Iron Hands.

Angron doesn't really have a particular rival primarch. Betrayer is mainly Angron and Lorgar vs Roboute, but it's strongly suggested that Angron really does hate everyone about equally and never singled out any of his brothers.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Don't forget Imperial Fists vs Iron Warriors. And the classic Dark Angels vs Dark Angels.

Actually, there are a lot of legions that don't seem to have designated nemeses. I can't think of particular rivalries for the Blood Angels, Raven Guard, Salamanders, White Scars, Sons of Horus/Black Legion, Death Guard, Night Lords, or, as you noted, the World Eaters. So getting your mad on against a particular legionary rival is more the exception than the rule.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Death Guard would probably be antagonistic against the Thousand Sons, for no reason other than Mortarion's severe distrust of psykers (and the Nurgle/Tzeentch duality I guess, which apparently existed long before either legion heard of their gods).

Blood Angels get Hatred(Abaddon) as well.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Don't the Blood Angel and Night Lords have a hatred for each other? Or was that just because Talos had one of their artifact swords? It seemed there was a lot of animosity between those two legions from the fight at Terra as well.

A primarch coming back would be crazy. I bet they would make it Russ if it was anyone. I doubt he would turn his ire to the hyper-religious Imperium of 41k, after all there are traitors still around to kill.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

jng2058 posted:

Don't forget Imperial Fists vs Iron Warriors. And the classic Dark Angels vs Dark Angels.

Actually, there are a lot of legions that don't seem to have designated nemeses. I can't think of particular rivalries for the Blood Angels, Raven Guard, Salamanders, White Scars, Sons of Horus/Black Legion, Death Guard, Night Lords, or, as you noted, the World Eaters. So getting your mad on against a particular legionary rival is more the exception than the rule.

The Horus Heresy books seem to have been playing up Corax and Night Haunter as rivals a bit, probably owing to the similarities between their legions.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
They should bring back Ferrus Manus with a big iron head.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Improbable Lobster posted:

They should bring back Ferrus Manus with a big iron head.

Ferrus Capitus.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Is the Lion the only "loyal" primarch that we know is still alive?

Honestly i would love to read a book about a loyal primarch coming back just to see his :wtc: expression when he sees what the Imperium has become.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

couldnt c/p off the page sorry

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

jng2058 posted:

Its

Death Guard vs White Scars (starting from the hate between the Khan and Mortarion)
Night Lords vs Raven Guard (from hunting Corvus down on Istvaan)
Black Legion vs Blood Angels (Black Legion nearly exterminated the BA, plus Abaddon totes around a weapon stained with the blood of their primarch)

Salamanders I believe don't have a particular causus beli

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

Angron probably views all the other Primarchs as spoiled children incapable of understanding true suffering and loss. I'd say out of all of them Kurze is the only one Angron could find some common ground with. I'd love to read about those 2 and their legions working together and being all "Huh, you do pretty good work. But watch this"

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Waroduce posted:

couldnt c/p off the page sorry

That's nifty if almost certainly fan work. Good fan work, though. Where's that from, exactly?

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Intergalactic, all-planetary, everything super-supreme champion
Imagine how messed up the story would be if all the loyal and traitor legions were reversed.

The Thousand Sons are forgiven for trying to warn Terra of Sanguinius' betrayal.
Logar begins rallying entire worlds to prepare to repel and defeat the heathens.
Angron is cured of the nails by Magnus and becomes the primarch of Loyalty.
Curze begins hunting down and attempting to strike fear in the traitor legions.
Perterbo embraces his architech side and begins to fortify Terra in a fashion that even he couldn't break down with an Iron Siege.
Mortarion begin to engage enemy fleets in wars of attrition to buy time till the other legions can come to crush the assualt

And the Alpha Legion...they are still sided on the traitor side because who the gently caress knows what they are thinking.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
There was this big thing on Bolter and Chainsword a few years ago called the Dornian Heresy where instead it's Rogal Dorn who falls to Chaos. It was interesting to think about and they accompanied it with some neat artwork.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

SRM posted:

There was this big thing on Bolter and Chainsword a few years ago called the Dornian Heresy where instead it's Rogal Dorn who falls to Chaos. It was interesting to think about and they accompanied it with some neat artwork.

Did they replace his glorious moustache with an evil goatee?

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

vigorous sodomy posted:

Did they replace his glorious moustache with an evil goatee?

No (.pdf - scroll down for the picture)

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Am I right in assumeing the whole scared chaos numbers thing is a Legion custom rather than it being an actual part of chaos? Like mortarion having a stiffy for having 7 dudes around him or whatever.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Big Willy Style posted:

Am I right in assumeing the whole scared chaos numbers thing is a Legion custom rather than it being an actual part of chaos? Like mortarion having a stiffy for having 7 dudes around him or whatever.
Could be now. It has turned up in Fantasy over the years too though.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
I hope that ADB or someone does a compelling (relatively) background about nurgle and plague marines other than 'they were betrayed by typhon and begged nurgle for relief!!'. In the black legion codex supplement it says how tons of black legion love up Nurgle and it'd be nice to see some lorehams extension on this.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

maev posted:

I hope that ADB or someone does a compelling (relatively) background about nurgle and plague marines other than 'they were betrayed by typhon and begged nurgle for relief!!'. In the black legion codex supplement it says how tons of black legion love up Nurgle and it'd be nice to see some lorehams extension on this.

Nurgle does seem to give you the best chance of surviving the whole craziness that is the grimdark future. Also, Papa Nurgle loves you.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

bunnyofdoom posted:

The World Eaters are closest in niche to the Blood Angels, since they both specialize in close assault. Also both primarchs are commonly called some variation of the Red Angel.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Big Willy Style posted:

Yeah. In A Thousand Sons, Magnus thinks that Mortarion is a hypocrite at Nikea in part due to Mort's veneration of the number 7.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Big Willy Style posted:

It's a Chaos thing. Each god has a number of power associated with them

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

jng2058 posted:

That's nifty if almost certainly fan work. Good fan work, though. Where's that from, exactly?

Just some fan stuff, was originally posted in the gbs thread before it turned into skull chat. I googled for it

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Arquinsiel posted:

Could be now. It has turned up in Fantasy over the years too though.

In older editions you'd even get small bonuses for taking units in multiples of sacred numbers.

Numerology is also a real thing you see throughout history in religions and the occult.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

UberJumper posted:

Is the Lion the only "loyal" primarch that we know is still alive?

No. Roboute Guilliman (in stasis), Corax (missing), Jaghatai Khan (missing), Leman Russ (missing), and Vulkan (uh, it's complicated).

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

maev posted:

That makes the use (and abuse) of nurglings in Talon even funnier.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
About 2/3rds into Talon of Horus, overall enjoying it so far.

One minor complaint...early on the World Eater and the main character are having a broment remembering about the Battle of Terra, and the guy off-handedly remarks how he had seen bigger battles since. What loving battle would this be? The Siege of Terra is literally the single largest battle in the canon...nothing should compare.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Uroboros posted:

One minor complaint...early on the World Eater and the main character are having a broment remembering about the Battle of Terra, and the guy off-handedly remarks how he had seen bigger battles since. What loving battle would this be? The Siege of Terra is literally the single largest battle in the canon...nothing should compare.

Hypothetically...the Cadian Gate? I can see a Black Crusade thrown against Cadia being bigger than the Siege of Terra, if we assume that while a large fight and *the* turning point in the Heresy, the Siege represented what was left of both Horus and the Imperium's forces after battering each other throughout the Heresy, then it might be smaller compared to a fresh Black Crusade plus a fully fortified Imperial Cadia.

E: Lexicanum says there was 1.5 million Guardsmen involved in the Siege of Terra, in addition to Space Marines, Titan Legions and Adeptus Custodes, while saying that 71.75% of Cadia's population of 850 million (~609 million) is "under arms". Take that for what you will.

Pyrolocutus fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 22, 2014

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Uroboros posted:

Inside the Eye of Terror? Probably, there are daemon worlds whose only purpose is to serve as battlefields for infinite hordes of rival gods of Chaos to fight. Or maybe it's just an oversight, World Eaters aren't generally the most reliable of narrators.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Or they could just be having a heretical dick-measuring contest. Pride isn't something Chaos Marines are exactly above.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Pyrolocutus posted:

E: Lexicanum says there was 1.5 million Guardsmen involved in the Siege of Terra, in addition to Space Marines, Titan Legions and Adeptus Custodes, while saying that 71.75% of Cadia's population of 850 million (~609 million) is "under arms". Take that for what you will.

To be fair most of those Cadians under arms might be classified as PDF and not Imperial Guard.

Whoops, misunderstood your post.

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 22, 2014

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Mr.48 posted:

To be fair most of those Cadians under arms might be classified as PDF and not Imperial Guard.

Whoops, misunderstood your post.

A devotee of Khorne differentiates not between the PDF trooper and the Guardsman, both will give their skull to the Skull Throne :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The battle that gave Kharn the Betrayer his nickname might also be it. I forget what exactly it's called, but it was a giant battle between the World Eaters and Emperor's Children that ended the existence of both Legions as organized forces and shattered them into roving warbands.