Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
If the X-Men are an analogue for gays, then it is fitting that they do not become outcasts until they come out or are exposed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
When is Halle Berry going to fight Calisto for leadership of the Morlocks?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
And has Lena Heady been cast as Callisto yet :allears:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Harime Nui posted:

And has Lena Heady been cast as Callisto yet :allears:

Yeah but she accidentally showed up on the set of the new Judge Dredd and no one noticed until post.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Baron Bifford posted:

Did they give his powers a boost, too? How powerful are his optic blasts now?

For a while they were insanely powerful, then he got possessed by the pheonix for a while and it nerfed him and a bunch of others. You know what happens to your pee stream after a night of sex? Its like that now.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm sort of only half-into the Marvel film universe because although I was a huge X-Men fan back in the day, I never really collected anything outside of X-Men (aside from some DC/Dark Horse/Image/Vertigo stuff). I've seen all the main X-Men movies, plus the abysmal Wolverine Origins. The only one I haven't seen is The Wolverine. Is it worth seeing or does it shed any light whatsoever on the X-Men mainstream franchise? Or is it as entirely skippable as Origins?

Also, I feel like any of the glaring contradictions in the franchise can now be overwritten with time travel handwaving. Things that don't make sense in the original trilogy don't have to now, even if they're referenced - because who says it's not just a similar timeline they're referring to? Yeah it retcons the great X2, but it also retcons X3 as a bonus. So is there anything that really contradicts itself now? The only example I can really think of is there being two distinct Moiras that Xavier knew throughout the ages.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
The Wolverine is way better than Origins and is also better than X-Men 3. It's Wolverine having adventures in Japan and getting over the death of Jean. So it's a good emotional bridge between the ending of 3 and DOFP. I'd say it's worth it, but I also never get tired of Hugh Jackman doing his thing. Go with the extended cut, which adds the violence and swearing they had to cut in order to get a PG-13 rating.

And for contradictions, Emma Frost is the other big one I remember that doesn't make sense no matter what timeline you're paying attention to.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Just watched it. Not bad. It was nice that it was actually kind of a slow burn instead of constant superhero action. Gets a bit over the top in the third act, but you're right, it's miles better than Origins. Kinda cool to have the whole mortality thing for Logan too.

Really didn't like the characterization of Viper though, she was badly acted and seemed like she came out of a different movie. And the fight on the roof of the bullet train where they were hopping over the trestles at 300mph was hilarious and I don't think it was supposed to be. It also never fails to amuse me that Hollywood thinks modern Japan is just feudal Japan with cars and neon.

I hope they get Ben Foster again in Apocalypse. Dude's got some real range and I could see him really pulling off the Angel/Archangel personality shift. That's another weird age continuity thing, but like I said they can always explain that with the timeline reset.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
The Wolverine felt like two separate stories clumsily spliced together. There's a gangster tale and a ninja tale. Two villains.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The Wolverine really wasn't that great but next to Origins it's The Dark Knight.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

They could get around the whole Wolverine timeline fuckery quite easily in the next film.

Since it's set in the 80s we can assume he's gone into some version of the Weapon X programme. Apocalypse has some kind of cerebro type device that lets him find mutant power signatures for recruiting his horsemen. He captures Wolverine, brainwashes him etc. so he would be one of the baddies through the film.

Hell, you could even through it in that it's Apocalypse that gives him the adamantium skeleton since things can be (and are) different in this timeline already.

Prof X does a mind wipe at the end of the film and that solves any 'does he remember this?' crap.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Is the Apocalypse Avengers thing confirmed to have the current crew in it, or will there be a new cast of characters?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
It's going to be all your favourite Avengers, every last one: Superbman, Panther Boy, Nightlash, Windstorm and Lashnight.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I have a nagging feeling the entire Marvel Universe's 20+ year plan is all leading to setting up some true massive endboss like Onslaught or something and he's gonna get killed by squirrel girl.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Watch the last episode of Wolverine and the X-men on Netflix. The whole series is basically Days of Future Past, and the cliffhanger at the end of the series is that even though Charles congratulates them from the future, he says that they might not be done just yet, cut to Apocalypse walking out on a balcony overlooking a cheering crowd. Shame they didn't do the second season, although AoA is a bit dark for a kids show.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Watch the last episode of Wolverine and the X-men on Netflix. The whole series is basically Days of Future Past, and the cliffhanger at the end of the series is that even though Charles congratulates them from the future, he says that they might not be done just yet, cut to Apocalypse walking out on a balcony overlooking a cheering crowd. Shame they didn't do the second season, although AoA is a bit dark for a kids show.

How was the quality over all? Ie is it worth watching? I recently watched all of JL and JLU, which I hadn't seen in practically a decade, and then binged through the unfortunately short lived 3D Green Lantern from a few years ago and really enjoyed it, so I'm in the mood for something superpowery.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Habibi posted:

How was the quality over all? Ie is it worth watching? I recently watched all of JL and JLU, which I hadn't seen in practically a decade, and then binged through the unfortunately short lived 3D Green Lantern from a few years ago and really enjoyed it, so I'm in the mood for something superpowery.

If you're looking for a superpowery show can I suggest Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes? Don't let the art style put you off, the characterizations and storylines are top notch; basically straight from the comic books. It's a shame it got cancelled.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Funny enough wolverine and the x-men is made by the same people who made avengers. They are both really good.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Looks like they are going to release a director's cut with Rogue's scenes added back. http://variety.com/2014/film/news/fox-to-add-anna-paquin-back-to-x-men-days-of-future-past-1201314028/?_r=true

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Wolverine and the X-Men is really solid, and the highest quality X-Men animated series we've ever gotten. It's too bad it didn't last long, but then again, that means that everything we got is pretty consistently good.

It's up there with the 90's second seasons of Fantastic Four and Iron Man or the first season of Avengers EMH. Better, more consistent animation too.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Habibi posted:

For children's entertainment it seems fairly challenging, there is a continuity built throughout the episodes, even though I think some are stand-alones with characters that play into the plot later. The anti-mutant/racism metaphor is alive and well, as you can expect for something so heavily based on Days. The action is decent, although there are lots of robot murders, which is apropos of a kids show. Can't have Wolverine disemboweling people on saturday morning cartoons, after all. The characterizations and continuity are self contained, so even though some of the foreshadowing might be a nod to fans, it all gets explained eventually. It is almost certainly heads and shoulders above the old fox show that I'm sure many of us loved dearly. As a side note, it's probably best to let those cartoons remain as memories. I would say they haven't aged well, but the truth is the animation quality wasn't that great to begin with.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Spacebump posted:

Looks like they are going to release a director's cut with Rogue's scenes added back. http://variety.com/2014/film/news/fox-to-add-anna-paquin-back-to-x-men-days-of-future-past-1201314028/?_r=true

The hard thing will be getting my parents to wait a year to buy this instead of the theatrical version!

Also:

quote:

“I pray to God I never work on another time travel movie,” Kinberg said.

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 28, 2014

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
lol, as if the time travel in DOFP was soooooooo complicated.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Buddy, if you wanted to avoid time travel you picked the wrong superhero team.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Seriously, "consciousness time travel" is like the easiest kind to explain.

One thing I felt was odd about DoFP though is that after Wolverine was tossed into the water with all the rebar through him, the tension was still presented in the future scenes as if his mental connection to the past was vastly important to their success. He had already set things in motion so it was either going to play out or not - the only thing that would have changed at that point is that drowning Logan suddenly wouldn't know why he was drowning. The Sentinels could've killed Kitty and future Logan and everyone else in the future, and that wouldn't have affected the 1970s plotline at that point. Unless they're saying the timeline would only be erased if Kitty stayed connected, but that's kinda weird because that version of Kitty wouldn't exist anyway. It's really just movie tension and b-plot wrapup at that point.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Buddy, if you wanted to avoid time travel you picked the wrong superhero team.

Maybe he's hoping for an Australia team setting.

EDIT: Complete with faces painted on chairs (or was it the table?)

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
A movie with the 80's team (Psylocke, Longshot, Dazzler + whoever else) where they travel through fantasy dimensions that all look like they should be spraypainted on a hippy van and fight Mojo, the Evil Overlord of VHS-era media, would be amazing. Like catnip to my hipster brain!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I would be very down with a side movie with VHS themed Mojo as the bad guy and the x-babies getting involved.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Similarly to 80s camp, I'd actually be 100% on board for fully over the top 90s X-TrEmE Liefeldian cheese once they get to Cable. I'm talking women whose spines twist 180 degrees for insane poses, muscles that have muscles, a million functionless pouches, never showing anyone's feet, everyone gritting their teeth nonstop, and bendy guns with infinite attachments. Basically Xeriouxly Forxe the movie.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Watched this the other night, had high(ish) hopes for it to be the first decent x-men flick since the first couple. While it wasn't terrible, it was pretty drat mediocre and a huge missed opportunity. I'm not an X-Men fanatic, so I could be wrong but I remember this being one of the best story lines from the comics, and it's sad that it's now been wasted on this blah as gently caress film.

The trailer made me get really hyped up for the film. Really good and epic trailer, but it was not nearly as good as it seemed it was going to be.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Damo posted:

The trailer made me get really hyped up for the film. Really good and epic trailer, but it was not nearly as good as it seemed it was going to be.

Wow most people saw it an an awful trailer and the movie was pretty great.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

sticklefifer posted:

Similarly to 80s camp, I'd actually be 100% on board for fully over the top 90s X-TrEmE Liefeldian cheese once they get to Cable. I'm talking women whose spines twist 180 degrees for insane poses, muscles that have muscles, a million functionless pouches, never showing anyone's feet, everyone gritting their teeth nonstop, and bendy guns with infinite attachments. Basically Xeriouxly Forxe the movie.

Only if the dialogue consists of "Eat poo poo and die, shithead!"-style Liefeldian dialogue leaving everyone in the theatres who never read the X-Comics (not a hipster) horribly confused.

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!
It really seemed like there was no point to freeing Magneto from his prison. All he did was gently caress things up.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

AlliedBiscuit posted:

It really seemed like there was no point to freeing Magneto from his prison. All he did was gently caress things up.

I think future-Magneto was convinced that his younger self would be more reasonable and had just forgotten how independent and opinionated he was at that point in time. Sure, it sounds like a good plan when you're in your late 60s and already have perspective on your past, but even past-Xavier needed some really heavy one-on-one convincing from himself. Past-Magneto was never going to do what they wanted him to really do, but I guess they had to try anyway.

I think if they wanted to make it seem like the past stuff had impacted Magneto in a positive way, they would need to have him be at the Xavier institute at the end of the movie alongside the other 'good guy' mutants or something. It would have given us the impression that yes, what they did there mattered for Magneto, but it was a long-term thing and not like flipping a switch. Instead, we're left wondering if trying to mend that relationship helped out at all.

Not that doing so would have been necessary, but it might have been nice to see. Magneto working alongside the X-men always feels more interesting than when he's portrayed as an outright villain. (Magneto Was Right, after all)

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

Kelp Plankton posted:

I think future-Magneto was convinced that his younger self would be more reasonable and had just forgotten how independent and opinionated he was at that point in time. Sure, it sounds like a good plan when you're in your late 60s and already have perspective on your past, but even past-Xavier needed some really heavy one-on-one convincing from himself. Past-Magneto was never going to do what they wanted him to really do, but I guess they had to try anyway.

I think if they wanted to make it seem like the past stuff had impacted Magneto in a positive way, they would need to have him be at the Xavier institute at the end of the movie alongside the other 'good guy' mutants or something. It would have given us the impression that yes, what they did there mattered for Magneto, but it was a long-term thing and not like flipping a switch. Instead, we're left wondering if trying to mend that relationship helped out at all.

Not that doing so would have been necessary, but it might have been nice to see. Magneto working alongside the X-men always feels more interesting than when he's portrayed as an outright villain. (Magneto Was Right, after all)

Yeah, and they really didn't even seem to need him to stop the assassination in the first place. Getting to Mystique the first time wasn't that hard.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
They could have taken quicksilver to mystique instead and solved the whole thing much much easier.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Kelp Plankton posted:

I also saw it as desire for Magneto to have Xavier be his friends again, and not the world end being the thing to bring them together.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

bobkatt013 posted:

I also saw it as desire for Magneto to have Xavier be his friends again, and not the world end being the thing to bring them together.

That was the impression I got as well: Xavier and Eric were friends and the belief was having someone from the future go back and tell them how hosed-up things got as enemies that being friends might have a brighter future. Obviously, that was too optimistic a thought especially once past-Eric became aware of how deep mutant experimentation was under Trask.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

sassassin posted:

They could have taken quicksilver to mystique instead and solved the whole thing much much easier.

The way he was depicted, Quicksilver could have solved everything, including fighting the future sentinels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Away all Goats posted:

The way he was depicted, Quicksilver could have solved everything, including fighting the future sentinels.

I'm actually trying to think of how the future Sentinels could have countered Quicksilver and I'm running a blank unless they had the ability to affect time as well.

• Locked thread