Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002
If it isn't broken, fix it till it is.

The_Doctor posted:

My local store in Watford has a couple of Haunted Houses still. I think Westfield Shepherds Bush does too.

Haunted Houses are going for a good price on eBay already (>$300) if you want to flip.

I have convinced my wife to allow me to purchase a ton of the big expensive sets when they are buy one, get one 50% off with the promise that in a few years we'll throw that doubled set on eBay. Bonus is if it isn't a set that sells for a nice profit, we keep and open for parts. Either way, we end up saving between 50-100% of the original set price or we gain a ton of bricks to build with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I passed on Benny's Spaceship, even though I'm a classic space fan, because of the size. That thing is massive.

I've totally run our of room so I've decided I'm just going to collect a particular sort of set (which may include hunting down old ones on ebay) and for me that's going to be any kind of mobile command base. Was planning to get the new Agents one on Saturday (Manchester Lego Store represent) as a birthday present to myself but it sucks the Christmas giveaway isn't available until the fifteenth. I guess I'll wait... or get it £15 cheaper on Amazon.

I'm far too lazy to do the buy two and sell one thing. Also... storage.

Red_Chief
Nov 2, 2007

Ika posted:

I'm gonna order the tumbler on the 15th, and keep it together with my technic supercars. I want the haunted house as well, but I can't justify the price. (Even with the tumbler being more)

Tumbler is going to be hard. From the US Lego online shop -

quote:

We apologize, but this item will not be available on shop.LEGO.com for the remainder of 2014. Limited quantities may be available in October in LEGO Stores

I was planning on ordering one for my kids birthday, but that didn't happen. The lego store near me though got some in last night so I went there first thing today. While I did get one, a reseller was buying the other. The store said that it was one per person but the guy bought one, came back and was trying to buy the other. The clerk didn't want to sell it but there wasn't much he could do. I gave the guy a bunch of poo poo about being a reseller though.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
Yeah I suspect it's going to be really hard to get a Tumbler now. I wanted to order one today for double points, but welp, things aren't looking good at this point.

Lexical Unit
Sep 16, 2003

Lexical Unit fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 4, 2020

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

I want that Santa's Workshop. Describe to me the steps I must take to get it in the United States, and inform me as to whether I can just buy poo poo and then return it later.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Oh come on. The Tumbler has been out for less than a month. How can it be sold out already? It can't be that limited of a run... Can it?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Probably not a mini run like the research institute, but I doubt they manufactured an unlimited supply of the things. Then once you factor in resellers scooping up a percentage of the product, yeah, it's probably not going to be available much.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Jeez, I picked up one the day they went on sale for VIPs because it was a day 1 purchase for me, but I didn't realize it was going to be that popular. They still had some a few days after they went on sale to the general public so I just figured it was not going to be that hard to get.

Has any $200 set been that sought after..?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Gravy Jones posted:

(Manchester Lego Store represent)

I love the Manchester Lego store. They dismantled a load of displays models yesterday and put up new ones and then just shoved the dismantled pieces into a tub near the Pick-A-Brick wall. I managed to fill up a couple of large cups with parts from the Pet Shop and Palace Cinema to start modifying them again.

Here's my latest change to the Palace Cinema;

The roof still lifts off smoothly, the center column just runs up from the second floor now as one piece. I've closed the back of the roof before, only the top red pyramid (pictures of that are in this thread and the next thing I want to do is close it off were the sloped tiles are and add a little maintenance door with cogs visible when it's opened at the base of the pyramid/to access the gong/lights.

Then it's the interior.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not that I know of, but Lego has been enjoying record setting popularity this year. poo poo's just flying off the shelves so if you want something better get it early.

TriggerHappy
Mar 14, 2007

Dogen posted:

Jeez, I picked up one the day they went on sale for VIPs because it was a day 1 purchase for me, but I didn't realize it was going to be that popular. They still had some a few days after they went on sale to the general public so I just figured it was not going to be that hard to get.

Has any $200 set been that sought after..?

Lego 41999 was $200 and sold out in less than 24 hours. It was also limited edition and had a shitton of reseller interest, to be fair.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Voodoo posted:

Yeah I suspect it's going to be really hard to get a Tumbler now. I wanted to order one today for double points, but welp, things aren't looking good at this point.

Its still listed as shipping in November here, and I don't mind not getting it within a few days of ordering if I get the VIP points and bonus set.

TriggerHappy posted:

Lego 41999 was $200 and sold out in less than 24 hours. It was also limited edition and had a shitton of reseller interest, to be fair.

Can't really count that since there were multiple resellers which bought 50+ of them. I saw it on the shelves in the UK during vacation a week after release and still regret not buying a second one, since its hard to justify opening a set that's going for 600+ and with two I wouldn't care.

Ika fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 2, 2014

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Please don't let me miss the Tumbler. I already missed the Mars Rover and have been kicking myself for it.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Why would Lego make so few sets when these things will clearly sell? That's what boggles.

Red_Chief
Nov 2, 2007

kefkafloyd posted:

Why would Lego make so few sets when these things will clearly sell? That's what boggles.

There may be actual production capacity issues also.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Red_Chief posted:

There may be actual production capacity issues also.

Can't make that many black pieces, obviously

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

I just found out about the Tumbler and now it's sold out and I'm very distressed.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Third set in this half of the year thats done that though. Did they ramp up movie line production so much that they cut back on other sets?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
The Tumbler and the Haunted House are still available here in my expensive country, if anyone is interested

They will cost USD ~300 and around $50 in shipping though (each)
These are the normal retail from the store prices, imagine how fun it is to buy poo poo from resellers here!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The Rage posted:

Third set in this half of the year thats done that though. Did they ramp up movie line production so much that they cut back on other sets?

More like the blockbuster movie drove up general demand which took production line time away from niche sets. Especially with Christmas coming up, which requires stocking the shelves full.

Edit: I also feel like Lego knows the adult buying a $200 Batman set will still be waiting in January, while Toys'R'Us wants their inventory in November/December and doesn't care about January. So stuff gets pushed.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 3, 2014

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Does anyone have any good techniques for having studs on top and bottom? I want to have wedges hanging down and a smooth plate in top.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

Does anyone have any good techniques for having studs on top and bottom? I want to have wedges hanging down and a smooth plate in top.

There are several techniques here:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/KimT/Mixed/Instructions/advbuilding.pdf

TriggerHappy
Mar 14, 2007

The Tumbler could easily end up being one of those sets that sticks around a while, right? Nothing about it says limited edition, and it's not an Ideas set or anything. I'm hoping it gets reprinted every so often for a while to come, and it's not a huge deal that I missed it this time around.

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
When I was at the Lego store the other day they had tons of tumblers. Guy looked at me like I was crazy cause I told him I didn't want one LOL.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

TriggerHappy posted:

The Tumbler could easily end up being one of those sets that sticks around a while, right? Nothing about it says limited edition, and it's not an Ideas set or anything. I'm hoping it gets reprinted every so often for a while to come, and it's not a huge deal that I missed it this time around.

Doesn't UCS last at least a year usually?

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Dogen posted:

Doesn't UCS last at least a year usually?

The star wars ones seem to last at least 2, some stick around for ages.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Ika posted:

The star wars ones seem to last at least 2, some stick around for ages.

I said 1 because I think the B-Wing only made it a year due to lovely sales

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

My biggest Lego-regret in life is not buying the UCS Snowspeeder and Rebel Blockade Runner.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Guzwar posted:

My biggest Lego-regret in life is not buying the UCS Snowspeeder and Rebel Blockade Runner.

Mine used to be not getting the X-Men Chopper with Wolverine and Deadpool, but I ordered it off Ebay this week because it turns out LEGO is such a ripoff in Australia that I didn't feel like I was getting too badly extorted by the reseller.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

smackfu posted:

I guess the Haunted House is finally out of stock everywhere online. I guess that's good, I was starting to get tempted to buy it but $180 is a bit steep.

What??? Nooooo...

Red_Chief posted:

Tumbler is going to be hard. From the US Lego online shop

Son of a...

:suicide:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
You were all warned! The Haunted House is the best set they've released!

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Nah, I think the Medieval Market Village is TBH.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Chairchucker posted:

Nah, I think the Medieval Market Village is TBH.

It's a great play set, but for a self contained set that looks dynamite on a shelf (I've got lights in mine) nothing tops the Haunted House.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

Lego UCS Slave 1 looks awesome:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pIO8Ne0CfkU&feature=youtu.be

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Uh, yeah i'll be getting that

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
God I'm glad I don't like Star Wars all that much. That's really nice, but phew.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Now I worry those will be hard to get like the Tumbler.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

DrChud posted:

Now I worry those will be hard to get like the Tumbler.

It's probably gonna be available for VIPs a week or two before it goes on sale regularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

This is probably my most anticipated UCS, though I did like the X-Wing quite a bit. Wonder if it will be yet another new Boba fig.