Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Oh wow. I'm not really a big fan of gameshows, but this one hits all the right notes with me. I guess I heard about it from the SA Genius thread in The Games Room but in that it seemed much harder to follow what each player was doing than in actual show. Anyway I just love the inventiveness of some of the games and how much of a Liar Game vibe it has.

So I've watched the 1st episode of season 3, all of seasons 2 and choice episodes of season 1 (with the intent to fill out the rest later). At the risk of repeating opinions I'll collect my thoughts here.

1) I was super mad about Jinho going out in S2, especially since it was on a coin-flip against a terrible player. Yes Jiwon was right to turn the deathmatch it into a coinflip to render Jinho's manifold advantages irrelevant, but calling it a 'smart move' is a little generous when the strategy takes literally 2 seconds to come up with. And I think someone else told him to do it anyway. And the other frustrating thing is Jinho probably could've caught up with Sangmin on the main game, if he hadn't spent so much time trying to hide things from his allies.

Obviously Jinho already had a genius win under his belt so he didn't need another one but it just seemed like such a terrible shame and I think things would've been way more interesting with him hanging around. Let's see, a) I think the main matches would've been more competitive and hard fought with Jinho present, b) I think Jinho would have been very tough to eliminate in most of the other deathmatches after that, c) I think Jinho and Sangmin were good foils for each other, and Sangmin didn't really need to exert himself after Jinho had gone. Seeing Jinho and Sangmin basically team up in the elevator game was pretty cool though.

2) I think the episode where Doohee got screwed was some of the most amazing and most ugly television I have ever seen. Most ugly because of Jiwon - I know the legality of that move has been argued to death but IMO Jiwon and friends went way too far there (and they didn't really have to since they had a massive player advantage anyway). In my opinion 'finding' something that someone else dropped falls and belatedly giving it back or pressuring them for a finder's fee falls under the category of 'borrowing', but refusing to return it when directly questioned counts as theft. Yes stretching the rules is par for the course for the Genius Game but taking other people's possessions with no intent to EVER return them is stealing. I also think the no-theft/no-violence rules are an exception to the rest of the game as I think the spirit of the law is more important than the letter there. I mean I'm pretty certain that beating rival to death with a lampstand shouldn't be a viable move so long as you're screaming "I'm just practising my baseball swings and if your skull gets in the way it's your fault!" as you do it. Most amazing because of Sangmin - the fake Immortality Token trick was just using an item exactly as it was designed, but still his salesmanship/scheming was great and the reveal was hilarious. I'm not even mad, that was priceless. I kind of ended up disliking Doohee though, because he made a silly mistake than someone else exploited and his self-pity + naivete strategy really didn't pay off. And I kind of think part of it was Yohwan's fault for leading Sangmin right to the Immortality safe and ultimately crippling the morale of his allies. Which I suppose was partially Jinho's fault for giving goofy hints to Yohwan, but goddamn if Yohwan doesn't come across as both the worst friend and the worst negotiator.
Yohwan: So you got a clue
Sangmin: Yes
Yohwan: Was it a password?
Sangmin: !
Yohwan: To a safe?
Sangmin: !
Yohwan: Well I'll show you where it is if you tell me the password.
Sangmin: !!!
Yohwan: Oh you lied about having the password? Well I'll just cut my losses and let you figure it out on your own then.

Sangmin is really good at getting what he wants from people, but that was just handed to him without him trying or even knowing what to ask for. Yohwan basically traded 4 or 5 clues worth of information for nothing. Of his own volition. And kind of crippled the game in doing so, I mean even Jinho seemed to do literally nothing that episode. I suppose when it's a trading game with 5 people allied against you, 1 person who had his card stolen his card so can't play and 1 person who hands out match winning cards for no reason you have very limited options. And presumably the ID cards were supposed to allow some ID swapping shenanigans, but that was never really going to happen in a game where there was 0 opposition.

3) The players in Season 2 seemed to get really weak after Jinho left (compared with the last episodes of S1 which had strong players, including a few people who really grew and came into their own over the course of the season). In the end I ended up rooting for INVINCIBLE VILLAIN Sangmin most of the time, just because he was the only player who actually had a strategy. The other players knew Sangmin had a massive advantage yet only made token moves against him, usually backstabbing each other right at the start and letting Sangmin effortlessly glide to victory. Actually I think the person who annoyed me the most with this was Yohwan, because he fancies himself as Jinho's rival but basically sabotaged himself every episode for no reason (even when starting from advantageous positions) and somehow bungled his way into the finals. Okay Yohwan did pretty well in the finals (he would've made a fan of me if he'd played like that all season) but it was a complete joke that he 'failed upwards' all the way to the top 2. I know Yohwan complained about the unfairness of people expecting him to be Jinho 2.0, but that's EXACTLY what he presented himself as and ultimately failed to deliver. Hell if he'd been Jinho 0.5 that probably would've been fine but it was like he was making his biggest strategic decisions randomly ("Oh we've got a good plan going, but I'm going to screw it up arbitrarily. Sorry!").

Actually the top 3 S1 players seem like they could easily be a Genius Game dreamteam. Jinho as a master system-player. Sangmin as a master social-player (manipulator). Kyungran as an excellent middle ground between the two extremes. That's a pretty strong team any way you look at it. I also think Sunngyu was a great darkhorse and a variable that was far too easy to underestimate, but I suppose in S2 there was also Junghyun who was a chill goofy dad most of the time but was incredibly sharp every now and again. Also I've only watched half the episodes in S1 but already I think it has more SCREW THE RULES 'Extreme Ways' moments too.

I also think the main games are a lot better than the deathmatch games, especially the luck based or alliance dominated deathmatches. A coinflip or a battle of who has the most friends seems like a pretty lame way to get kicked out of what's supposedly a battle of wits. Full bet riding on indian poker/indian holdem is stupid, 3 trade Quattro is terrible, Hap Gyul needs a different ruling for the Gyul (naming the last Hap on the board is suicidal), picture match conveyor is cool if both players try but broken with the kamikaze strategy (coming up with it is cool, but it's broken because it only works for the player with the garnet advantage and would get super boring to watch more than maybe twice). Laser chess seemed cool but also seemed deliberately broken. The points game and 9 blocks game seem good though and I think blackout would work as a teambased deathmatch game though we didn't really get to see it in practice because one side won first move. Sun/Moon/Star and WinStreak RockPaperScissors can work if players have bargaining room or opportunities for social engineering, but sometimes it seemed like players were utterly screwed just for being in the wrong alliance.

And I wonder how the show would work if it wasn't done as an elimination format. In the genius game it seems like social-players dominate early but system-players dominate late, so it's advantageous for the social-players to eliminate the system-player powerhouses before they enter their sweet spot. However a non-elimination format would make it impossible to eliminate threats (you could only curbstomp them for a round really) so you couldn't backstab power players out of the game entirely, but also social-players would remain competitive as the game went on so they wouldn't feel the need to double/triple team . On the other hand a long term scoring system might lead to more king-making and long-term alliances if only a couple of players were competing for the top slots.

With the elimination format there's basically 5 possible positions at the end of an early main game.

- Be 1st and get immunity. (0% chance of going to deathmatch)
- Be better than last with a deal with 1st place to get immunity (~10 of chance of going to deathmatch, after your deal fails)
- Be better than last whilst on good terms with the elimination candidate (~30% chance of going to deathmatch)
- Be better than last whilst on bad terms with the elimination candidate (~60% chance of going to deathmatch)
- Be the elimination candidate. (100% chance of going to deathmatch)

It therefore follows that the main rules for surviving early are:
- Don't be in last place.
- Don't piss anybody off UNLESS you can guarantee 1st place or the support of first place.

I mean you can do horribly in a game and still be relatively safe as long as someone else did worse and you weren't involved in it. Also I think the social-players are a bit more strategic when it comes to picking their deathmatch opponents that the system-players. So I wonder if a non-elimination format might encourage riskier strategies by making last place less disastrous and 2nd/3rd/4th place more valuable. Might also encourage bigger rivalries by allowing for consistent vendettas, but I suppose a non-elimination format would lose those dramatic 'all or nothing' moments.

The normal social metagame basically seems to be.

1) Don't make enemies. Stepping on other people's toes is somewhat inevitable, but it should be done lightly with as little sense of malice as possible. Also avoiding the accumulation of enemies seems more important than gathering friends, because a dedicated enemy can screw you over more easily/reliably than a dedicated friend can save you.
2) Maintain a trustworthy image. You can deceive, mislead and betray but it should be done as subtly as possible e.g. a) you don't get caught, b) someone else does something worse or otherwise gets blamed, c) you cut a deal to make it up to them afterwards or d) you have a quasi-plausible excuse or justification. If you do get caught doing some underhanded the response you want to engender is "Oh, how clever!", rather than "Christ, what a dick!"
3) Retaliate for recent transgressions, because you want your current rivals to be cautious about picking fights with you. People who don't adequate defend themselves look like easy targets to snipe at.
4) Forgive old transgressions, because you want your old rivals to consider making deals and bargains with you. People who bear long grudges seem to end up without any allies at all. Also forgiving other people sets a precedent for others to forgive you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Watch all episodes of Season 1. It is much better then Season 2.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
What a weird order to watch a show

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

Suspicious Dish posted:

Watch all episodes of Season 1. It is much better then Season 2.

The biggest indicator in the difference between S1 and S2 was the Layoff episode, when the S1 players just rolled the S2 players. It felt like the S1 players were always more willing to dig past the first layer of the games they were playing before looking for ways around the game, and the S2 players were looking for ways to play outside of the game right from the start.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Elite posted:

Laser chess seemed cool but also seemed deliberately broken.

The biggest problem with their version of Khet was that you could block the opponent's laser completely (as Yohwan did) and render the game unwinnable for them. The regular game has a rule where your opponent cannot place their tiles in your laser column specifically to avoid a situation like that. I don't have the slightest clue why they changed that for the deathmatch version of the game.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Removing the losing player's garnets in a Death Match may well have a huge effect on how they're perceived. In previous games, there was the feeling that since the garnets eventually pooled, it didn't matter quite so much how many you had at any given point. Spending high amounts could feel kind of frivolous, but for most it felt like it was worth it if they wanted to buy an advantage. The prize would still be there.

The problem now is, if you spend a single garnet at all, that's taking away from "your" account, not the "game's prize". That's a massive psychological difference, and will lead to decreased spending no matter how many the players start with. Even if most players care more about winning than the prize money, it's still higher in their mind that at least some of their earnings needs to be saved. I'd also expect almost no free garnet handouts now - whereas before you could expect that since only one person will end up with it eventually, it doesn't hurt too much to help someone else, there is nothing like that anymore. Obviously they have to pump more garnets into the economy to try to fix it, but there's no guarantee that will work.

I understand that the likely motivation is to prevent people picking a DM opponent based solely on whoever has the most garnets (which was specifically pointed out by the players at least once, maybe more). And also to introduce the Black Garnet as the game's theme. I think a better solution would be to redistribute the losing player's garnets [with the extra going to those with the fewest].

Kangra
May 7, 2012

NeuroticLich posted:

The biggest problem with their version of Khet was that you could block the opponent's laser completely (as Yohwan did) and render the game unwinnable for them. The regular game has a rule where your opponent cannot place their tiles in your laser column specifically to avoid a situation like that. I don't have the slightest clue why they changed that for the deathmatch version of the game.

Laser Chess predates Khet by about twenty years. (But it is kind of broken, which is probably why Khet was made the way it is.)

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kangra posted:

Laser Chess predates Khet by about twenty years. (But it is kind of broken, which is probably why Khet was made the way it is.)

Oh, is it? I didn't realize that! I assumed they based it strictly off of Khet because they were using Khet boards for practice before the game.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Yeah, the original was a computer game (I typed it in from Compute's Gazette into a C64 circa 1987), so Khet is probably the best for using actual pieces.

And I didn't mean to jump on you about it; I just saw it mentioned in the thread when the ep first aired and nobody seemed aware of its origins. They didn't screw it up, they just never fixed it. Laser Chess has the promise of being tactically interesting with all the pieces, but really you end up playing a lot of defense and not trying to make a big mistake, until you can pull off one big move that likely ends it or swings it way in one side's favor. I haven't played Khet, so I hope the changes make it better (and the Genius folks should have been aware of the problems, given that they even had Khet boards).

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Kangra posted:

Removing the losing player's garnets in a Death Match may well have a huge effect on how they're perceived. In previous games, there was the feeling that since the garnets eventually pooled, it didn't matter quite so much how many you had at any given point. Spending high amounts could feel kind of frivolous, but for most it felt like it was worth it if they wanted to buy an advantage. The prize would still be there.

The problem now is, if you spend a single garnet at all, that's taking away from "your" account, not the "game's prize". That's a massive psychological difference, and will lead to decreased spending no matter how many the players start with. Even if most players care more about winning than the prize money, it's still higher in their mind that at least some of their earnings needs to be saved. I'd also expect almost no free garnet handouts now - whereas before you could expect that since only one person will end up with it eventually, it doesn't hurt too much to help someone else, there is nothing like that anymore. Obviously they have to pump more garnets into the economy to try to fix it, but there's no guarantee that will work.

I understand that the likely motivation is to prevent people picking a DM opponent based solely on whoever has the most garnets (which was specifically pointed out by the players at least once, maybe more). And also to introduce the Black Garnet as the game's theme. I think a better solution would be to redistribute the losing player's garnets [with the extra going to those with the fewest].

It also gives the players a good reason not to play it safe as this makes doing well in the main games much more important.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kangra posted:

Yeah, the original was a computer game (I typed it in from Compute's Gazette into a C64 circa 1987), so Khet is probably the best for using actual pieces.

And I didn't mean to jump on you about it; I just saw it mentioned in the thread when the ep first aired and nobody seemed aware of its origins. They didn't screw it up, they just never fixed it. Laser Chess has the promise of being tactically interesting with all the pieces, but really you end up playing a lot of defense and not trying to make a big mistake, until you can pull off one big move that likely ends it or swings it way in one side's favor. I haven't played Khet, so I hope the changes make it better (and the Genius folks should have been aware of the problems, given that they even had Khet boards).

Oh no, you didn't jump on me about it. I'm going to have to look into that more, I'm interested in how the two games compare.

Cute n Popular
Oct 12, 2012
Laser chess is probably the better choice anyways since khet would've drawn out even longer and would've been even more of a bore to watch. It's a lot easier to explain Yohwan's strategy as being a check mate than somehow trying to explain every move made, it's implications and rationale in 15 minutes.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

The biggest problem with Genius early on is that I have no idea who these people are. I watch with a big group and its sort of funny how we transition from calling people by thier profession to their name as the season progresses. "Comedian" slowly turns into "Hongchul", etc

That sort of kills the drama in the first couple of deathmatches though, I had no real feelings towards Ahyoung or Juri. I ended up rooting for Ahyoung because she looked insane in that pencil skirt.

Kangra posted:

What kind of commie talk is this? The extras that episode should go to the best performing players.

Meme Emulator fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Oct 6, 2014

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I was rooting for Ahyoung cause she had multiple pages of calculations and Juri was just like "hurry up".

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Asiina posted:

I was rooting for Ahyoung cause she had multiple pages of calculations and Juri was just like "hurry up".

I might not have been paying perfect attention because of all the hooting and hollering when I was watching but I thought it was the other way around? I remember thinking Ahyoung was the one who was complaining about hurrying up and thought it was hilarious she blundered into a win

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
They knew about Khet.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Meme Emulator posted:

I might not have been paying perfect attention because of all the hooting and hollering when I was watching but I thought it was the other way around? I remember thinking Ahyoung was the one who was complaining about hurrying up and thought it was hilarious she blundered into a win

You were not paying attnetion

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I'm still so disappointed that the dealer ended up showing no mathematical ability.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Tonfa posted:

I'm still so disappointed that the dealer ended up showing no mathematical ability.

Shes no dealer-noona thats for sure. They should bring Sunggyu back again just to flirt with her.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Tonfa posted:

The TV presenter girls have always done very well under pressure in a deathmatch against opponents not as used to being the focus of the entire show.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

CeeJee posted:

The TV presenter girls have always done very well under pressure in a deathmatch against opponents not as used to being the focus of the entire show.

Yeah that was readily apparent in the earlier seasons with Jinho and Jowan as well. In fact they seemed to become more focused as they became the focus of the show which is appropriate considering their past occupation. One on one confrontations with them as them as the stars is right up their alley. Might also explain why Jowan was so godawful at almost all of the team-based games.:v:

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Hat Thoughts posted:

What a weird order to watch a show

I watched S3E1 as it was the most recent.
Liking what I saw I watched from S2E1 to S2E12 whilst reading the thread.
As people in the thread frequently talked about the coolest parts/best games of S1 I got impatient and watched those episodes first after I finished S2.

Not gonna deny it was a weird way to watch a show, but there was some method to my madness.

Byers2142 posted:

The biggest indicator in the difference between S1 and S2 was the Layoff episode, when the S1 players just rolled the S2 players. It felt like the S1 players were always more willing to dig past the first layer of the games they were playing before looking for ways around the game, and the S2 players were looking for ways to play outside of the game right from the start.

The S2 players definitely rolled the S1 players but I think part of that was simply that it was easier for guests to trust each other than for the genius contestants to trust each other. All the guests teamed up because they didn't have to fear elimination and I think it benefited them more to maximize the number of wins rather than scoring individual wins (can't remember the exact prize setup), but the contestants had to worry about getting backstabbed if they talked about their role too freely. Basically when you get that many players cooperating it cease to be a hidden information game as you know what every player has, so it's just about guessing the right department to pick off your targets. And even if the prizes incentivized them to betray each other I still think "old friends returning together" lends itself to more trust and teamwork has than "competing rivals". And they lucked into a lot of the stronger roles. They definitely played well, but I think the game would've been very different with a full field of contestants rather than a mix of contestants and guests.

You can also see this kind of thing in the Elevator game. The Revenger players were united but the Genius players were all competing with each other and ended up striking deals with the Revenger team or otherwise screwing up the plan.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Elite posted:

I also think the no-theft/no-violence rules are an exception to the rest of the game as I think the spirit of the law is more important than the letter there. I mean I'm pretty certain that beating rival to death with a lampstand shouldn't be a viable move so long as you're screaming "I'm just practising my baseball swings and if your skull gets in the way it's your fault!" as you do it.
Just so you know, the no-theft/no-violence rules didn't exist during the Doohee/Jiwon scandal. They were introduced in season 3, presumably as a response to that bullshit.

Another thing about season 2, when Jinho and Jiwon had their death match and Jiwon all-ined, my roommate mentioned that Sangmin could have controlled the death match utterly by only giving garnets to Jiwon, or nobody could have given him garnets, causing him to forfeit the death match.

That's totally something that would happen in the U.S. :smith:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Oct 6, 2014

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

Elite posted:

The S2 players definitely rolled the S1 players but I think part of that was simply that it was easier for guests to trust each other than for the genius contestants to trust each other. All the guests teamed up because they didn't have to fear elimination and I think it benefited them more to maximize the number of wins rather than scoring individual wins (can't remember the exact prize setup), but the contestants had to worry about getting backstabbed if they talked about their role too freely. Basically when you get that many players cooperating it cease to be a hidden information game as you know what every player has, so it's just about guessing the right department to pick off your targets. And even if the prizes incentivized them to betray each other I still think "old friends returning together" lends itself to more trust and teamwork has than "competing rivals". And they lucked into a lot of the stronger roles. They definitely played well, but I think the game would've been very different with a full field of contestants rather than a mix of contestants and guests.

You can also see this kind of thing in the Elevator game. The Revenger players were united but the Genius players were all competing with each other and ended up striking deals with the Revenger team or otherwise screwing up the plan.

Maybe, but compare the Layoff game with the Food Chain game. In the Food Chain game, the predators missed the fact that they had to turn on other predators to make it, and it cost them. Instead they tried to work with the surface of the game and focused more on the social part of the game, which sank Hweejong in particular when the mouse didn't follow his lead.

In Layoff, you got a sense that the S1 players were deeper into the game theory than the S2 players ever got in either Layoff or Food Chain. Is that a lack of pressure and good teamwork, or also a difference in approach for the two seasons? I'm not saying either approach is better overall, but it's something that I noticed between the two seasons and for that game in particular I think the S1 mindset would have the advantage.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Byers2142 posted:

Maybe, but compare the Layoff game with the Food Chain game. In the Food Chain game, the predators missed the fact that they had to turn on other predators to make it, and it cost them. Instead they tried to work with the surface of the game and focused more on the social part of the game, which sank Hweejong in particular when the mouse didn't follow his lead.

In Layoff, you got a sense that the S1 players were deeper into the game theory than the S2 players ever got in either Layoff or Food Chain. Is that a lack of pressure and good teamwork, or also a difference in approach for the two seasons? I'm not saying either approach is better overall, but it's something that I noticed between the two seasons and for that game in particular I think the S1 mindset would have the advantage.
S2 was the broadcaster alliance bullying everyone and Sangmin pulling the strings from behind the curtain.

Also Yohwan being utterly useless in main matches.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Josh Lyman posted:

Just so you know, the no-theft/no-violence rules didn't exist during the Doohee/Jiwon scandal. They were introduced in season 3, presumably as a response to that bullshit.

You know this actually isn't true, I've been re-watching season 1 and they mention it in the first episode. I guess they are just emphasizing this aspect now.

Midrena
May 2, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Also Yohwan being utterly useless in main matches.

Yeah he was pretty annoying in the way he was always :downs: in games. I got frustrated watching him, to be honest. Not that I'm smart at any of this, but that's why I'm not on a show called The Genius. :v:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Zythrst posted:

You know this actually isn't true, I've been re-watching season 1 and they mention it in the first episode. I guess they are just emphasizing this aspect now.
Touche.

When Jiwon and company address Doohee about stealing his ID card, Hongchul is the first to speak to try to diffuse things. Yooyoung didn't get nearly enough blame, and it was classic fake remorse from bullies. It certainly doesn't help that Doohee was a completely pitiful, spineless pushover.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I just realized maybe the garnets of eliminated players might still go into the pot, they just aren't in play anymore. That would calm most of the concerns I have about the change, although I expect it still cuts back on the garnet sharing of yore.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
That sounds possible, I was also wondering if they would actually be used as the reward for the next episodes' game. Either the sole winner gets them, or they get split or divided in some way among the winners.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Zythrst posted:

I'm guessing it was always there (they do mention it explicitly in season 1), but it has a concrete penalty now of an automatic last place.

It'd be funny if someone gamed that rule in true The Genius fashion - something like they knew they weren't going to win the main game, and the main alliance will certainly pick them for the deathmatch, so they "steal" something to get the automatic last place so they can pick their opponent. Or forcing themselves into the deathmatch against a weak player so they can get their 3rd black garnet.

Running With Spoons
Oct 26, 2005
Only the spoon knows what is stirring in the pot
I really want someone to slap someone else to get last place at the last second.
Or actually, someone slapping himself to get last place.
At least we'd hear extreme ways again

Running With Spoons fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 6, 2014

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I think they put it in originally because it's an obvious rule to have, but then when Sangmin took Jinho's garnet and Jinho ended up being bribed with it later it was so hilarious that they let it lax through season 1 and season 2 until it became a problem.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Extreme Ways is NOTHING without several repeated reaction shots from various different angles with slo mo and a saturated camera filter. You gotta go all out or go home :colbert:

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Lugaloco posted:

Extreme Ways is NOTHING without several repeated reaction shots from various different angles with slo mo and a saturated camera filter. You gotta go all out or go home :colbert:

PYF Extreme Ways moment:

"I should have backstabbed as well"
"How Could You !!!"
:smug:

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

MisterZimbu posted:

I'm guessing it was always there (they do mention it explicitly in season 1), but it has a concrete penalty now of an automatic last place.

It'd be funny if someone gamed that rule in true The Genius fashion - something like they knew they weren't going to win the main game, and the main alliance will certainly pick them for the deathmatch, so they "steal" something to get the automatic last place so they can pick their opponent. Or forcing themselves into the deathmatch against a weak player so they can get their 3rd black garnet.

I doubt that will happen. If you want to go last place just throw the mainmatch and you might even help out your allies/make sure that you take your target down with you.

Someone who played a really good first round was Yoohyun, who would have won, if not for the stupid move by Kyunghoon without betraying his alliance, all while making it look like he sacrificed himself for them by attacking the watermelons, something Jinho and Sangmin were great at.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Running With Spoons posted:

I really want someone to slap someone else to get last place at the last second.
Or actually, someone slapping himself to get last place.
At least we'd hear extreme ways again

I'd be down with this. Steal someone's Garnet bag to put yourself into last. Although it seems counterintuitive, there has to be a theoretical situation where you would want to be in last place. Maybe put yourself there instead of someone else to really cement an alliance, or to take out someone that you fear later on yourself? Maybe if someone gets two black gernets, put yourself into last to go up again them, so if you win there's a chance you essentially get a token of immortality, assuming you can beat the test.

You get the black garnets of people you eliminate right? If so, it seems like having 2 black garnets is going to put a big target on your back. If you're facing elimination anyway, why not challenge someone that gives you potential immortality for a round, assuming they weren't in 1st place during the main match.

Or getting even wilder, what if you were able to get under someone's skin enough that they steal from you or hit you? Maybe the guy who betrayed Ahyoung in the first round can go that route. I mean it's highly unlikely that it would work out that way, but it'd definitely warrant extreme ways if it did, and it would fit because it'd be such an extreme way to win.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

NowonSA posted:

I'd be down with this. Steal someone's Garnet bag to put yourself into last. Although it seems counterintuitive, there has to be a theoretical situation where you would want to be in last place. Maybe put yourself there instead of someone else to really cement an alliance, or to take out someone that you fear later on yourself? Maybe if someone gets two black gernets, put yourself into last to go up again them, so if you win there's a chance you essentially get a token of immortality, assuming you can beat the test.

You get the black garnets of people you eliminate right? If so, it seems like having 2 black garnets is going to put a big target on your back. If you're facing elimination anyway, why not challenge someone that gives you potential immortality for a round, assuming they weren't in 1st place during the main match.

Or getting even wilder, what if you were able to get under someone's skin enough that they steal from you or hit you? Maybe the guy who betrayed Ahyoung in the first round can go that route. I mean it's highly unlikely that it would work out that way, but it'd definitely warrant extreme ways if it did, and it would fit because it'd be such an extreme way to win.

The only good reason I can come up with to go for last place under current rules is to chose your opponent. Let's use S2 player as example. You know that Yohwan will lose the mainmatch but probably chose you to go up against in the deathmatch because he feels wronged by you. You go for last place to go up against a weaker individual player, thereby repairing your relationship with Yohwan (you saved him from going into the deathmatch) and staying in the game. You also earn a black garnet.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Yeah, that's the type of scenario that makes sense to me too. If you've manage to tick off everyone and they want you gone for now, and you know you won't make it to first place in the main match, go into last so you can try to pick off a weaker opponent. If you put 1-2 wins together you may have 3 black garnets and a reputation that you shouldn't be challenged in the death match, which may scare off people from challenging you and let you hold onto your black garnets for longer. It also buys you time to repair some relationships. I mean, ideally you didn't get a hated reputation in the first place, but if you can pull that off across 2-4 rounds you're in a great position to make it to the final, particularly if you start it around week 5-7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

I'm going to fly in the face of popular opinion and say that not only am I glad they didn't bust out Extreme Ways without a good reason, but that Mi Mi Mi is the best new addition to the soundtrack.

I'm definitely rooting for Hweejong, Dongmin and Yoohyun so far. I can't say why, but Hyunmin rubs me the wrong way.

And I'm curious to see whether Yeonjoo comes out of the woodwork as the game goes on, or just gets kind of brushed aside and off the show early on.