Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Namarrgon posted:

That's not really true. It's not as if you can just open up the fuel hatch in space and have fuel magically pop in, it takes advanced technology to find it and fuel and a shitload of time to reach it, space is almost incomprehensibly big. Planets (Earth at least) also provide atmospheric and magnetic projection from space debris and runaway radiation. Assuming the ultimate solution to the technological problems, space habitats are likely the (relatively) low price, high cost maintenance option and planets the very high price, very low maintenance option.

Maintaining large orbitals would be easier than any sort of presence on a non-earth planet. Atmospheres are corrosive and dangerous (and planets without atmospheres have very little to recommend them), being at the bottom of a gravity well makes you more distant in energy/cost terms than actual distance makes it seem and high pressures are much more expensive and dangerous to engineer around than space.

The bigger problem that prevents any sort of extraplanetary (or large undersea!) outpost at all is that we have not actually figured out how to run sufficiently complex closed ecological systems yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Epitope posted:

If spreading earth life to the stars is some moral imperative, I don't see why it has to be human life. Other things would probably survive and adapt out there better. Maybe some extremophile archaea, or maybe ...an AI.

How about octopi? Or corvids? The former effectively live in a zero-G environment already, and the latter can fly.

Seriously, though, this is another thing that bothers me about "rationalist" discourse-- the way they treat humans as inherently above the rest of the universe. Yudkowsky even seems to have reinvented the Great Chain of Being when he lists human brains as a qualitative advance over animal ones, on the same level as DNA and eukaryotic cells. Why only upload humans and just disregard all other living beings, even those with near-human intelligence?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

SerialKilldeer posted:

How about octopi? Or corvids? The former effectively live in a zero-G environment already, and the latter can fly.

Seriously, though, this is another thing that bothers me about "rationalist" discourse-- the way they treat humans as inherently above the rest of the universe. Yudkowsky even seems to have reinvented the Great Chain of Being when he lists human brains as a qualitative advance over animal ones, on the same level as DNA and eukaryotic cells. Why only upload humans and just disregard all other living beings, even those with near-human intelligence?

Because these people seem to primarily only care that they personally get preserved, and they are neither birds nor octopi (I assume).

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Octopi and corvids can get uploaded when they figure out how to upload themselves. :colbert:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Pavlov posted:

Because these people seem to primarily only care that they personally get preserved, and they are neither birds nor octopi (I assume).
Which is, honestly, an understandable position. Self-sacrifice is well and good, but you can hardly blame anyone for picking the survival of their own species over that of some random bird.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Cardiovorax posted:

Which is, honestly, an understandable position. Self-sacrifice is well and good, but you can hardly blame anyone for picking the survival of their own species over that of some random bird.
Right, but how do you rationally defend that? How does that position derive purely from evidence?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Nessus posted:

Right, but how do you rationally defend that? How does that position derive purely from evidence?
I don't see any crows donating to Yudkowsky and optimizing the future. :colbert:

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Oh hey, does anyone know the info on this Ben Goertzel guy? From what I gathered he was associated with Yudkowsky's research institution at one point but broke off. Also apparently instead of just talking about AI he's actually been trying to program it? Really I just want to know whether he's full of poo poo or not so I can decide whether to read any of his stuff.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Nessus posted:

Funny thing about rationality is, most people don't really get what it means. Yudkowsky likes to use the word, but he doesn't really understand it either. It doesn't actually mean evidence-based or scientific, just that there's a reasonable trail of thought from premise to conclusion. I just like people. We're fun to be around. I prefer a world with humans to one without, even if it means that ravens go extinct. Accordingly, it's perfectly rational for me to prefer our survival over that of any other species, when given the chance to only save one or the other. Any psychologist in the world would agree with me that I'm being perfectly rational and acting in my own best interest there.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Cardiovorax posted:

Funny thing about rationality is, most people don't really get what it means. Yudkowsky likes to use the word, but he doesn't really understand it either. It doesn't actually mean evidence-based or scientific, just that there's a reasonable trail of thought from premise to conclusion. I just like people. We're fun to be around. I prefer a world with humans to one without, even if it means that ravens go extinct. Accordingly, it's perfectly rational for me to prefer our survival over that of any other species, when given the chance to only save one or the other. Any psychologist in the world would agree with me that I'm being perfectly rational and acting in my own best interest there.
I think that most people get what "rationality" means, which is why most people would describe themselves as rational and not rationalists.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I think that most people get what "rationality" means, which is why most people would describe themselves as rational and not rationalists.
In my experience, many people really use it too narrowly. "Rational" means "logical and unemotional" to a lot of people, but it's not always the same.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Cardiovorax posted:

This is very true, and I think rationality is important, but "rationalist" is not my personal chosen ideological identity, and I would never call myself "an aspiring rationalist," the way so many of these people do.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I don't see any crows donating to Yudkowsky and optimizing the future. :colbert:

All those feathered fools have to look forward to is an eternity in crow-bot hell.

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009
The one really frustrating thing I find with a lot of tech writers, but Big Yud personifies it to a massive degree, is that they have such a hatred/disgust for philosophy that they refuse to read anything regarding it and as such keep stumbling upon old arguments and issues philosophy has been dealing with for literally hundreds of years and then acting like they've hit upon some great unidentified issue that literally no one has ever heard of before.

It's a horrible mixture of self imposed ignorance and self-importance that just makes my blood boil.

Nessus posted:

This is very true, and I think rationality is important, but "rationalist" is not my personal chosen ideological identity, and I would never call myself "an aspiring rationalist," the way so many of these people do.
I find the resurgence of rationalists in the 21st century to be particularly ironic considering how out of favour rationalism has become in philosophy. The fact that rationalism has been used in the past to "prove" the existence of God and other ideas that would make a modern rationalist like Big Yud scoff seems pretty telling that it isn't the objective methodology they think it to be.

The internal inconsistency of these people becomes more astounding the more you sit back and just think about all the contradicting opinions and ideas they hold. They have a quasi-religious interpretation of the future, anti-empirical rationalist methodology whilst so self-sure they're the "true" scientists and simplistic re-invented ethics that read like a Calvinist who smashed his head while praying in his hovel circa some bygone age while once again so completely positive they've reinvented the wheel. But the loving things square and just talks about rape a lot.

d3c0y2 fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 10, 2014

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

It's just sort of assumed, because human life is the most important and valuable kind.

Also because exploring other worlds would be totally sweet. I mean, sure, we mock Less Wrong-style rationalists (with good reason), but be honest, who in this thread does not want to take a whizz off the peak of Olympus Mons with their three cybernetic dragon-dicks?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Also because exploring other worlds would be totally sweet. I mean, sure, we mock Less Wrong-style rationalists (with good reason), but be honest, who in this thread does not want to take a whizz off the peak of Olympus Mons with their three cybernetic dragon-dicks?
That part certainly doesn't hurt either. I really hope I'll get to see Earth from space during my lifetime.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Darth Walrus posted:

I actually do not. Cybernetic dragon-dicks, in fact, hold little appeal for me.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

In the year 2083, we invent cybernetic implants.

In the year 2086, we invent ironic cybernetic implants.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Like a sea urchin. Just a ball of dicks rolling around the landscape of a planetoid orbiting Proxima Centauri. That is the rationalist future friends.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Revenge of the robo-dick: Harder, better, faster, stronger.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Revenge of the robo-dick: Harder, better, faster, stronger.

We're talking about Internet rationalists. I think they've already got the 'faster' bit covered.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a giant spinning robot dick, slapping a human face - forever.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

uber_stoat posted:

All those feathered fools have to look forward to is an eternity in crow-bot hell.
I'm sure it's not so bad.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
So the future is the Federated Commonwealth of Malatora?

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

SerialKilldeer posted:

Almost all the hardcore rationalists I know IRL are varying degrees of vegetarian and also some are obsessed with the idea of speciesism and fighting it as a form of social justice. I think they care more about speciesism than they do racism or sexism.

They're also super into the idea that everybody on the planet is actually, on the aggregate, suffering and that thus killing everybody on the planet is a morally justified act from a utilitarian perspective. I've never asked them why that is moral and taking animals which would otherwise suffer and making them fat, fed, and happy before killing them for food is somehow unjustified.

I'm not exaggerating in the slightest.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Odds on anyone at Bungie spending too much time around Less Wrong? Because there was something suspiciously familiar about the Ghost Fragment: Vex cards from Destiny:

quote:

ESI: Maya, I need your help. I don't know how to fix this.

SUNDARESH: What is it? Chioma. Sit. Tell me.

ESI: I've figured out what's happening inside the specimen.

SUNDARESH: Twelve? The operational Vex platform? That's incredible! You must know what this means - ah, so. It's not good, or you'd be on my side of the desk. And it's not urgent, or you'd already have evacuated the site. Which means...

ESI: I have a working interface with the specimen's internal environment. I can see what it's thinking.

SUNDARESH: In metaphorical terms, of course. The cognitive architectures are so -

ESI: No. I don't need any kind of epistemology bridge.

SUNDARESH: Are you telling me it's human? A human merkwelt? Human qualia?

ESI: I'm telling you it's full of humans. It's thinking about us.

SUNDARESH: About - oh no.

ESI: It's simulating us. Vividly. Elaborately. It's running a spectacularly high-fidelity model of a Collective research team studying a captive Vex entity.

SUNDARESH:...how deep does it go?

ESI: Right now the simulated Maya Sundaresh is meeting with the simulated Chioma Esi to discuss an unexpected problem.

[indistinct sounds]

SUNDARESH: There's no divergence? That's impossible. It doesn't have enough information.

ESI: It inferred. It works from what it sees and it infers the rest. I know that feels unlikely. But it obviously has capabilities we don't. It may have breached our shared virtual workspace...the neural links could have given it data...

SUNDARESH: The simulations have interiority? Subjectivity?

ESI: I can't know that until I look more closely. But they act like us.

SUNDARESH: We're inside it. By any reasonable philosophical standard, we are inside that Vex.

ESI: Unless you take a particularly ruthless approach to the problem of causal forks: yes. They are us.

SUNDARESH: Call a team meeting.

ESI: The other you has too.

SUNDARESH: So that's the situation as we know it.

ESI: To the best of my understanding.

SHIM: Well I'll be a [profane] [profanity]. This is extremely [profane]. That thing has us over a barrel.

SUNDARESH: Yeah. We're in a difficult position.

DUANE-MCNIADH: I don't understand. So it's simulating us? It made virtual copies of us? How does that give it power?

ESI: It controls the simulation. It can hurt our simulated selves. We wouldn't feel that pain, but rationally speaking, we have to treat an identical copy's agony as identical to our own.

SUNDARESH: It's god in there. It can simulate our torment. Forever. If we don't let it go, it'll put us through hell.

DUANE-MCNIADH: We have no causal connection to the mind state of those sims. They aren't us. Just copies. We have no obligation to them.

ESI: You can't seriously - your OWN SELF -

SHIM: [profane] idiot. Think. Think. If it can run one simulation, maybe it can run more than one. And there will only ever be one reality. Play the odds.

DUANE-MCNIADH: Oh...uh oh.

SHIM: Odds are that we aren't our own originals. Odds are that we exist in one of the Vex simulations right now.

ESI: I didn't think of that.

SUNDARESH: [indistinct percussive sound]

SUNDARESH: I have a plan.

ESI: If you have a plan, then so does your sim, and the Vex knows about it.

DUANE-MCNIADH: Does it matter? If we're in Vex hell right now, there's nothing we can -

SHIM: Stop talking about 'real' and 'unreal.' All realities are programs executing laws. Subjectivity is all that matters.

SUNDARESH: We have to act as if we're in the real universe, not one simulated by the specimen. Otherwise we might as well give up.

ESI: Your sim self is saying the same thing.

SUNDARESH: Chioma, love, please hush. It doesn't help.

DUANE-MCNIADH: Maybe the simulations are just billboards! Maybe they don't have interiority! It's bluffing!

SHIM: I wish someone would simulate you shutting up.

SUNDARESH: If we're sims, we exist in the pocket of the universe that the Vex specimen is able to simulate with its onboard brainpower. If we're real, we need to get outside that bubble.

ESI: ...we call for help.

SUNDARESH: That's right. We bring in someone smarter than the specimen. Someone too big to simulate and predict. A warmind.

SHIM: In the real world, the warmind will be able to behave in ways the Vex can't simulate. It's too smart. The warmind may be able to get into the Vex and rescue - us.

DUANE-MCNIADH: If we try, won't the Vex torture us for eternity? Or just erase us?

SUNDARESH: It may simply erase us. But I feel that's preferable to...the alternatives.

ESI: I agree.

SHIM: Once we try to make the call, the Vex may...react. So let's all savor this last moment of stability.

SUNDARESH: [indistinct sounds]

SHIM: You two are adorable.

DUANE-MCNIADH: I wish I'd taken that job at Clovis.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

MinistryofLard posted:

They're also super into the idea that everybody on the planet is actually, on the aggregate, suffering and that thus killing everybody on the planet is a morally justified act from a utilitarian perspective. I've never asked them why that is moral and taking animals which would otherwise suffer and making them fat, fed, and happy before killing them for food is somehow unjustified.

This piece owns,
http://exiledonline.com/feature-story-the-case-for-nuclear-winter/
but anyone who seriously thinks it should be acted upon needs to be locked up.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

You'd think real nihilists would believe the subjective suffering is as meaningless as anything else. Seems weird to me to attribute so much importance to it and not pleasure or happiness.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Political Whores posted:

You'd think real nihilists would believe the subjective suffering is as meaningless as anything else. Seems weird to me to attribute so much importance to it and not pleasure or happiness.
That sort of thing is specifically called negative utilitarianism, not nihilism.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

That sort of thing is specifically called negative utilitarianism, not nihilism.

Epitope's piece calls it Nihilism.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I used to casually check the blogs of a small internet movement who thought everyone would be better of dead. They all eventually just kinda stopped or turned away from that conclusion, because as it turns out, concentrating on misery as much as they did was exhausting.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Political Whores posted:

It's wrong, then. Nihilism means something very specific and completely different.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I suppose one nice thing about death cult type things is they are fairly quickly selected against.

Political Whores posted:

I feel like this might have just been an excuse to reference the Big Lebowski

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
Where's the fuckin' money, Yudkowsky?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
In which Slate Star Codex continues to be More Rational About Politics Than You Are.

I'm starting to believe the real reason for the politics taboo on LW was that they sound like the biggest assholes when they do talk about politics.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
The use of "politics" dismissively almost always translates to something like "Have no fear, you can put money on my commitment to irrelevancy and impracticality" if the speaker's being honest and "I'll do anything for power. Please? Just a little weensy bit?" if they're lying.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I'm starting to believe the real reason for the politics taboo on LW was that they sound like the biggest assholes when they do talk about politics.
Can't be. They sound like the biggest assholes when they talk about anything.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

In which Slate Star Codex continues to be More Rational About Politics Than You Are.

It's pretty impossible to be "rational" about politics otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I'd assume because politics is a topic that even a group of 'rational' people will commonly digress on. LW wouldn't be able to handle that because if everyone there is 'rational' then how could they all come to such different answers? Basically they need an echo chamber if they want to keep their sense of superiority, and you can't have that if people actually have a diverse array of opinions on important topics.

• Locked thread