Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yes, with a few rare exceptions.

The only one I know offhand was the 2012 or 2013 Sony Bravias at 42". I ran into that when I was shopping for my current TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Aphrodite posted:

Yes, with a few rare exceptions.

The only one I know offhand was the 2012 or 2013 Sony Bravias at 42". I ran into that when I was shopping for my current TV.

Really? Surely that's not the case... surely. I can't imagine a high profile TV having a native smoothing feature that can't be toggled.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BonoMan posted:

Really? Surely that's not the case... surely. I can't imagine a high profile TV having a native smoothing feature that can't be toggled.

That's what I thought too but I looked it up on AVSForum or one of those other A/V nerd sites and there were plenty of people talking about it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Good because holy poo poo does that make everything look like garbage.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Now that the 60f8500 plasma is $1999 I am so tempted.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

How do the new Vizio's hold up against this week's falling prices? I'm waiting on my mover's discount to pick up the 65" p-series but... if theres something snazzier for htpc/gaming I'd hate to find out after I shell out the dough.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Bunk Rogers posted:

How do the new Vizio's hold up against this week's falling prices? I'm waiting on my mover's discount to pick up the 65" p-series but... if theres something snazzier for htpc/gaming I'd hate to find out after I shell out the dough.

Unless someone gets lower than 17ms i dont think you are gonna see a better tv for gaming.

That being said, if you can afford it and can babysit a tv a little bit then the 8500 series plasmas are an amazing price. Sad the movers guide doesn't work on them.

I would really like an 60f8500 but im afraid ill get a buzzing set.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

Bunk Rogers posted:

I'm in your boat. I've been reading avsforums so much that it has only made me more confused. To my understanding, the panels on the Vizio's are very hit or miss. There are some people on that forum that have already been through 3 or 4. Yes, they're perfectionists but more than a few have been damaged.

I'm still on the fence with the Vizio because of it and the lack of 3D (which really can benefit from 4k). I've also yet to see it on an actual decent cable feed. The one at CostCo ( the 70 inch) has just about the worst picture you can ever have the nightmare of seeing and didn't inspire a lot of confidence that it would make DirecTV look any better than my 7 year old Sony. I almost bought the 60 inch Samsung 8550 yesterday but apparently it has the absolute worst input lag of any TV available. I also looked at the Sony but the 10% mover coupon from Best Buy won't work on it and the 65 inch is a bit more than I want to spend.

suddenlyissoon fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 6, 2014

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Why won't the bestbuy moving coupon work? I've been waiting for a chance to use the one sitting in my wallet.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

BraveUlysses posted:

Why won't the bestbuy moving coupon work? I've been waiting for a chance to use the one sitting in my wallet.

It excludes select premium tv's from Sony, Samsung, and someone else.

That being said, local store just sold me a brand new in box 60F8500 for $1749. Gonna take the vizio back.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don Lapre posted:

It excludes select premium tv's from Sony, Samsung, and someone else.

That being said, local store just sold me a brand new in box 60F8500 for $1749. Gonna take the vizio back.

It works on any of the 8550 Samsung's but not on the Sony's.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What 4k content is available aside from Netflix, Sony's player and YouTube?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Tab8715 posted:

What 4k content is available aside from Netflix, Sony's player and YouTube?

Amazon has some UHD titles listed now. Vizio is also getting a 100% UHD smart tv app this year.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What kind of bandwidth do you even need to stream 4k?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

What kind of bandwidth do you even need to stream 4k?

15Mbps

Keep in mind 4k is using h265 which is much more efficient than h264.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 6, 2014

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Stupid question ahoy!

How much would you think the Vizio M series are going to drop in price from now until Black Friday?

I ran into a couple hundred unexpected dollars and I'm thinking of rolling that into the layaway offer Walmart reintroduced, but I worry that I'll just be spending the same amount of "real money" if the prices drop by $200.

This is a dumb thing to worry about, I know.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

aBagorn posted:

Stupid question ahoy!

How much would you think the Vizio M series are going to drop in price from now until Black Friday?

I ran into a couple hundred unexpected dollars and I'm thinking of rolling that into the layaway offer Walmart reintroduced, but I worry that I'll just be spending the same amount of "real money" if the prices drop by $200.

This is a dumb thing to worry about, I know.

If you want a discount go to bestbuy and use a moversguide coupon.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I ended up snagging the 60" Vizio P-Series. It's only been a few days, but so far I'm quite pleased with the purchase. The color distortion at my normal viewing angles isn't noticeable, and even when I'm out in the kitchen it's not bad enough for me to care. I also have a very well lit living room, and the improvement in glare vs. my plasma is enough that I don't think my girlfriend would let me go back even if I wanted to.

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007
I'm looking to buy a decent TV to replace the 21" flatscreen Sony I've been using for 12 years.

I'd like it to be around 39 or 40 inches, looking to spend between $300-400. I'd mostly be using it for PS3, Netflix and watching football. I've been looking at some Vizios that seem to fit what I'm looking for, but I haven't bought a new TV in a long long time, what would you guys recommend?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I'd go on Craigslist and snag a 40" samsung for that price. Should be plenty available.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Why do that when he can get a brand new Vizio in that size for barely more than $300?

Edit: I've got a 2012 E series 60 inch from Vizio and it's been rock solid for the $900 I paid for it. Vizio makes solid TVs.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Because I vastly prefer a 2-3 year old Samsung that was originally $800+ vs the basement $300 vizio panel.

If I was buying a TV today I'd get the Vizio P-series so I don't hate the brand, but I do find their cheap TVs suck.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I'm still trying to decide between the UA75H6400AW and UA75H7000AW. Apart from some other minor differences, I'm debating the relative worth of the Clear Motion Rates. From what I can tell here, the 6 series model has CMR 400 which equates to 100 HZ while the 7 series model has CMR 960 which equates to 240 Hz.

As an Australian, almost all TV I watch (free-to-air and cable) will be running at 50 Hz. I mostly watch sports (which will be screening at 50 Hz), but sometimes I will be using the TV for movies (although probably download quality with the occasional rented 60 Hz Blu Ray). Is watching a Blu Ray going to be jarring on a 100 Hz TV because 100 is not a multiple of 24? Vice versa, is watching my other 50 Hz programs going to be jarring on a 240 Hz TV?

I note the OP says I should get 120 Hz and above for sports but I believe this is the same as 100 Hz in an Australian market.

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007

sellouts posted:

Because I vastly prefer a 2-3 year old Samsung that was originally $800+ vs the basement $300 vizio panel.

If I was buying a TV today I'd get the Vizio P-series so I don't hate the brand, but I do find their cheap TVs suck.

Suck how?

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

As I said before, I get lost in the craziness of AVSForums but I recently have stumbled through a few people saying questioning why anyone would actually by an 4K TV when they will not be compatible with the final spec of UHD Blu-Ray or broadcast. I mean, that can't be completely true, right? These things have been on sale for 3 or 4 years now and they're being marketed this year as "future compatible". Surely they're not going to alienate an entire group of people (mainly the people who are buying 4K's during the holiday sales) in less than a year, right?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Replaced my 4k vizio with my first plasma, a 60F8500 and its glorious. I cant believe the dark detail.

suddenlyissoon posted:

As I said before, I get lost in the craziness of AVSForums but I recently have stumbled through a few people saying questioning why anyone would actually by an 4K TV when they will not be compatible with the final spec of UHD Blu-Ray or broadcast. I mean, that can't be completely true, right? These things have been on sale for 3 or 4 years now and they're being marketed this year as "future compatible". Surely they're not going to alienate an entire group of people (mainly the people who are buying 4K's during the holiday sales) in less than a year, right?

As long as the tv has a hdmi port that supports HDCP 2.2 you shouldn't have compatibility problems. Preferably though you would have an HDMI 2.0 port with HDCP 2.2

Most 2014 4k sets have multiple hdmi 2.0 ports, some with hdcp 2.2 and some without. The point of that is hdcp 2.2 ports do not support 4:4:4 chroma for use with a PC. So the HDCP 2.2 you would plug your UHD bluray player into, the non hdcp ones you would use for maybe a playstation 5 or a pc.

A number of 2013 sets are also upgradeable, The samsung evo compatible ones get a new set of ports and i know some of the LG sets have the internals swapped.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 9, 2014

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Picked up my P-series tonight. Expect the bottom to fall out of the HD TV market as soon as my return period expires.

I'd have it mounted already had the Cheetah mount I got from Amazon not been such a tremendous piece of garbage.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

suddenlyissoon posted:

Generally it's a bad idea to buy the first versions of a new format. I bought a 720p TV when they were fairly new and my cable provider was still years away from providing HD service and I ended up buying another much better one four years later.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

After eight years, I finally bought a new TV. Got a lovely Sony Bravia KDL50W829B and it looks ace, however it occasionally gets locked in a reboot cycle. Any ideas what could be causing this?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Flint_Paper posted:

After eight years, I finally bought a new TV. Got a lovely Sony Bravia KDL50W829B and it looks ace, however it occasionally gets locked in a reboot cycle. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Being broken and needing replaced immediately.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Hooked up my P-series last night. Its glorious.

I do notice a fair amount of bloom when white letters/patterns display on the black background. Is that to be expected or something to worry about?

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Ted Nugent is the next generation in Joint Combat soldiers

Bunk Rogers posted:

I do notice a fair amount of bloom when white letters/patterns display on the black background. Is that to be expected or something to worry about?

What size? The 55 may have a bit more blooming since it's IPS. You should also change your brightness setting to 51, for some reason vizio still has some weird issue with settings 52 and higher on brightness that causes the backlight to go nuts. Otherwise, there is a limit to the local dimming since there's only 64 individual zones for the whole tv so it can't completely dim down to the letter level. Will either need plasma or OLED to get rid of it entirely.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

65"

The brightness is at 51. I'm coming from a old Panasonic plasma and figured a little bloom would be normal. Its not as horrible as some of the pictures I've seen.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Bunk Rogers posted:

Bloom is normal on an FALD.

Bunk Rogers posted:

65"

The brightness is at 51. I'm coming from a old Panasonic plasma and figured a little bloom would be normal. Its not as horrible as some of the pictures I've seen.

If you get the new firmware that apparently breaks the local dimming it will just light the whole screen all the time unless its completely black.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Awesome, thank you.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Bunk Rogers posted:

Awesome, thank you.

By the way, how is the overall picture on the 65p? Is off axis viewing still decent?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Next-Gen posted:

By the way, how is the overall picture on the 65p? Is off axis viewing still decent?

Here is the 60" on rtings, Viewing angles were pretty terrible.
http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd-led/vizio/p-series

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

Here is the 60" on rtings, Viewing angles were pretty terrible.
http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd-led/vizio/p-series

Yeah but that's a Sharp VA panel. Wondering if the AUO VA panels exhibit any different color shift, although they seem to say it's a great TV overall.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

The 65" screen is supposedly totally different than the 60" and has a slightly wider viewing angle than the 70". I'm currently sitting at about 30 degrees and it still looks great.

I'm having a bit of trouble getting ARC to work between the TV and my Denon receiver bit other than that its been great. Surround sound on the optical is cutting out all but the background sounds as well. I imagine its something to do with the receiver, wish I was more familiar with this stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Netflix is now charging $12/m for 4k content unless you watched it earlier this month. Then you are grandfathered in.