Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I wasn't planning on it, but that tap list may force my hand.

Gratitude and St Lamvinus on tap is worth the trip. And I may actually stop by on Saturday since St Lam will definitely be kicked so they'll have Fou.

I'll be joining you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Spuckuk posted:

Blame the stag parties for bumping the prices up, but Wenceslas square and the immediate surrounds have always been hugely overpriced relative to the rest of the city.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...be2f79f7fcb90a0

I'd highly recommend this for a good place to eat and drink. I go there every time I'm in Prague, and I've been eight times now.

Nobody in there will speak english.

They will look at you funny.

They will sell you good, cheap czech beer.

They will feed you terrifyingly large, hearty meals.

Yesssss. Dumplings and polotmavy ahoy.

Suggestions for Brussels places in a similar vein, anyone? I'm aiming to come back to the UK several pounds heavier and with a suitcase full of weird beer.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

a worthy uhh posted:

I'll be joining you.

Awesome. I'll ask the wife when she wants to go. I'd love to meet up with beer goons.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

a worthy uhh posted:

I'll be joining you.

me too probably

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I wasn't planning on it, but that tap list may force my hand.

Gratitude and St Lamvinus on tap is worth the trip. And I may actually stop by on Saturday since St Lam will definitely be kicked so they'll have Fou.

Maybe carbonated it will be drinkable but I'm not sure I'd suggest you wasting money/stomach space on Gratitude. It's really not that good.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Sirotan posted:

Maybe carbonated it will be drinkable but I'm not sure I'd suggest you wasting money/stomach space on Gratitude. It's really not that good.

Somebody brought a bottle of 2010 (maybe?) to a Chicagoon share last winter and I was pretty disappointed given the reputation it has. A very good but not spectacular barleywine.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

danbanana posted:

Somebody brought a bottle of 2010 (maybe?) to a Chicagoon share last winter and I was pretty disappointed given the reputation it has. A very good but not spectacular barleywine.

At one point I had every bottle in the vertical (except the first year), I think one bottle of the 4-5 I've opened over the years had carbonation and wasn't terrible. The rest were bad, we even drain-poured some.

The labels sure are nice though.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I'm aware of the problems with the Gratitude bottles. However, it's not something that you see very often so it's worth the price of a pour.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Sirotan posted:

At one point I had every bottle in the vertical (except the first year), I think one bottle of the 4-5 I've opened over the years had carbonation and wasn't terrible. The rest were bad, we even drain-poured some.

The labels sure are nice though.

the couple i've had were nothing special, and people i know who did huge verticals came away disappointed.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Traded my Gratitude for some Angels Envy Rye last year. No regrets.

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Carrots: Make me an offer.
Going to a bottle share with https://wherethewildbeersare.com/ this weekend. There are already several hundred bottles registered. The list of Cantillon alone has me excited.

Cantillon Broucsella (1900) Grand Cru 2012 2013
Cantillon Cuvée Saint-Gilloise 2013
Cantillon Cuvée Saint-Gilloise
Cantillon Fou' Foune
Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic 2013
Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic
Cantillon Iris 2013
Cantillon Iris 2013
Cantillon Iris 2014
Cantillon Kriek
Cantillon Kriek 2013
Cantillon Lou Pepe - Gueuze 2010
Cantillon Rosé De Gambrinus 2013
Cantillon Saint Lamvinus 2012
Cantillon Vigneronne 2011
Cantillon Vigneronne 2013

Cointelprofessional fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 16, 2014

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
I would love to go to Capone's but girlfriend really wants to go to Milkboy for a show and it's also all the way in Norristown. Maybe next anniversary..

Victory's Harvest Ale got released today and I'm buying a 4 pack after class. If its as good as Troegs Hop Knife, I'm going to be really happy. Of course it's going to be as good if not better..

edit: drat i still really want to try allagash interlude

Cromlech fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 16, 2014

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Off Color is brewing DinoS'mores again this week.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

Cromlech posted:

edit: drat i still really want to try allagash interlude

Cooked a steak last night and opened a 2013, it was delicious. The wine came through really nicely. Cold, I got a little bit of a vomit aroma, but once it warmed up that disappeared (or I got used to it). All in all a really nice dinner beer. Plus I was still drinking on it at midnight instead of going to bed. That's a big bottle and a big beer for one sitting.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Cointelprofessional posted:

Going to a bottle share with https://wherethewildbeersare.com/ this weekend with. There are already several hundred bottles registered. The list of Cantillon alone has me excited.

Cantillon Broucsella (1900) Grand Cru 2012 2013
Cantillon Cuvée Saint-Gilloise 2013
Cantillon Cuvée Saint-Gilloise
Cantillon Fou' Foune
Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic 2013
Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic
Cantillon Iris 2013
Cantillon Iris 2013
Cantillon Iris 2014
Cantillon Kriek
Cantillon Kriek 2013
Cantillon Lou Pepe - Gueuze 2010
Cantillon Rosé De Gambrinus 2013
Cantillon Saint Lamvinus 2012
Cantillon Vigneronne 2011
Cantillon Vigneronne 2013

Not only that... people are bringing the entire four seasons set, Framboos, Schaerbeekse Kriek, Blauw, A&T, AND Millenium? :drat: gently caress OFF.

Nothing's remotely come close to Zomer for me, and I'd give up a ton of beer to try the others.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

atothesquiz posted:

A tip for you and anyone else near or visiting Rochester NY, go to AJ's Beer Warehouse instead of Beers of the World. They're right down the street from each other and the people who run AJ's actually care about beer. Not about charging $30 for Parabola.

Since they also have a special self distributors license, they can(and do) bring stuff that's only distributed in NYC like Cigar City.

This a hundred times over. I only do BotW if I'm closer to it for whatever reason. :effort:

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Traded my Gratitude for some Angels Envy Rye last year. No regrets.

Is the Angel's Envy rare? I see it on the shelves a lot.

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES

Retemnav posted:

Cooked a steak last night and opened a 2013, it was delicious. The wine came through really nicely. Cold, I got a little bit of a vomit aroma, but once it warmed up that disappeared (or I got used to it). All in all a really nice dinner beer. Plus I was still drinking on it at midnight instead of going to bed. That's a big bottle and a big beer for one sitting.

I think beer aged in wine barrels is way more tasty and complex than ones aged in bourbon barrels. I know, different types altogether, but man RR Temptation really wowed me with its wineyness. I'll probably get a 2014 bottle around Christmas and sit on it for awhile.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I split a bottle of Venus last night...better than I thought, doubt anyone needs to seek it out though.
Smells like fruit and vanilla to me. Tasted mostly tart fruitiness, hints of floral and spice, and everything is smoothed over by the wonderful honey mouthfeel.

Cracking my Wild Turkey Betise by Transient tonight! Supa excited.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Midorka posted:

Is the Angel's Envy rare? I see it on the shelves a lot.

Angel's Envy Rye is rarer than Angel's Envy. The rye is finished in rum casks while the regular is finished in port casks.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

swickles posted:

Angel's Envy Rye is rarer than Angel's Envy. The rye is finished in rum casks while the regular is finished in port casks.

Yep yep. Very easy to see they are different bottles and I've never seen Angel's Envy Rye on a shelf:
http://angelsenvy.com/expressions/rye

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

air- posted:

Yep yep. Very easy to see they are different bottles and I've never seen Angel's Envy Rye on a shelf:
http://angelsenvy.com/expressions/rye

I've seen it on the shelf, and am now kicking myself for not purchasing it immediately

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Angel's Envy Rye is really sweet and I don't like it very much. It also costs almost double what regular Angel's Envy costs. I see it on shelves from time to time.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Angels Envy Rye used to be more difficult to get, I've seen it at a few whiskey bars ($16 for a pour!) locally but I didn't see it on the shelves for the longest time.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Boneyard finally began brewing at their production facility, so hopefully they'll actually catch up on their massive distribution backlog enough so they can make stuff besides IPA more often

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Boneyard finally began brewing at their production facility, so hopefully they'll actually catch up on their massive distribution backlog enough so they can make stuff besides IPA more often

I think you meant to say "distribute RPM to the east coast"

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Shelton Bros. Fest released a semi-complete taplist, although most of the notable American brewers are "TBD":

http://www.sheltonbrothers.com/the-festival-tap-list/

Looks good, man.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

cryme posted:

I've seen it on the shelf, and am now kicking myself for not purchasing it immediately

There's 6 bottles on the shelf at my store if you want to make the journey, $61 a bottle.

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.

Cromlech posted:

I think beer aged in wine barrels is way more tasty and complex than ones aged in bourbon barrels. I know, different types altogether, but man RR Temptation really wowed me with its wineyness. I'll probably get a 2014 bottle around Christmas and sit on it for awhile.

Victory Golden Monkey doesn't really do anything for me but I find White Monkey to be a deliciously weird blastable tape.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Dem Bones posted:

Victory Golden Monkey doesn't really do anything for me but I find White Monkey to be a deliciously weird blastable tape.

Some batches are super diacetyl bombs. The first was wonderful, but proceeding batches that I tried were near undrinkable unless you like butterscotch.

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.

Midorka posted:

Some batches are super diacetyl bombs. The first was wonderful, but proceeding batches that I tried were near undrinkable unless you like butterscotch.

Damnit, I was basing that opinion off one I picked up right when it first came out. I then got some others immediately after but have since given those away to friends, smug in the comfort that my local shop always has a ton on the shelf. Guess I'll have to try another and see what's up.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Dem Bones posted:

... blastable tape.

Isn't it about time this terrible gimmick was retired?

consensual poster fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 17, 2014

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
I had to call an emergency tape-blasting session tonight because this growler of Haymarket Mathias, which was graciously sent to me by danbanana, had sprung a leak immediately after leaving the brewpub. I rounded up some of my boys right here and we joined forces to drink the poo poo out of it. Despite the moderate loss of carbonation, it was revealed to be incredibly citrusy and fruity and super drinkable for a 10%, all of which I knew already. But as one of my boys pointed out, the true secret of its power was in the malt balance. Some DIPAs go overboard with the malt and ruin it, but this one was just right. I consumed about half the growler and could easily have skulled the entire thing if not for the extreme liver and brain damage it would have presented (and also I wanted to share with friends). It was like a massive blast of citrus with a hearty crust. Maybe something like a sweet rhubarb pie with orange and grapefruit added. It even left that sticky/sweet aftertaste in my mouth that you get after drinking a glass of potent orange or grapefruit or whatever kind of juice. But it was just from hops! What a beer. I declare it to be #3 in my official DIPA rankings, which go as follows:

1. Firestone Double Jack
2. Kuhnhenn DRIPA
3. Mathias
4. Avery Maharaja
5. Great Lakes Chillwave

Also sampled were Venus, which was quite good though a bit more tart than I would have preferred (really enjoyed the hint of vanilla but we wished it was more prominent, the cardamom was just right), Stillwater Classique which is one of the best "sessionable" beers around, and the latest Game of Thrones beer which was okay I guess. Not bad but nowhere near worth the asking price.

In other growler news, the growlito of Hylowe rye also from Haymarket, which I opted to save for another day, randomly started spraying all over the place despite being tightly closed and sealed with tape, from the apparently horrible stress of being lightly dropped onto the floor of my car. So maybe there is a problem with their growler filling procedure. Still, worth it I'm sure! it smells great!

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

Isn't it about time this terrible gimmick was retired?

It's about time you boned up on the hottest and most popular lingo.

krustster fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Oct 17, 2014

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

It's a good thing I'm not a pumpkin hater because my go-to beer bar has a whole bunch of Elysian and Elysian collab beers with pumpkin in them.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

krustster posted:

I had to call an emergency tape-blasting session tonight because this growler of Haymarket Mathias, which was graciously sent to me by danbanana, had sprung a leak immediately after leaving the brewpub...
In other growler news, the growlito of Hylowe rye also from Haymarket, which I opted to save for another day, randomly started spraying all over the place despite being tightly closed and sealed with tape, from the apparently horrible stress of being lightly dropped onto the floor of my car. So maybe there is a problem with their growler filling procedure. Still, worth it I'm sure! it smells great!

Sorry about the issues. I taped and bagged as best I could. But glad to hear they're tasting okay.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Stuck in Salisbury, England, for a couple of weeks. Pubs abound. Paradox-of-choice time. Anyone have any recommendations?

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

Phanatic posted:

Stuck in Salisbury, England, for a couple of weeks. Pubs abound. Paradox-of-choice time. Anyone have any recommendations?

My favorite is the Wyndham Arms. Most of the beer on tap is from a local brewery (Hopback brewery) and they have good crisps too. Phil Harding from time team is a regular!

edit: also the Indian takeaway just down the road is fantastic.

Ebola Dog fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Oct 17, 2014

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Isorenieratane posted:

Phil Harding from time team is a regular!

whoa, that dude would even stand out in a Stoke City crowd

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Y-Hat posted:

It's a good thing I'm not a pumpkin hater because my go-to beer bar has a whole bunch of Elysian and Elysian collab beers with pumpkin in them.

I don't trust anyone who doesn't like Punkaccino. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Midorka posted:

I bought two bottles of White Monkey and opened one in 2013 and wasn't a huge fan -- far too tart and diacetyl. It was an unpleasant mix of flavors. I have one down in the basement that I was planning on opening this winter and I'm hoping it improved..