Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scottw330
Jan 24, 2005

Please, Hammer,
Don't Hurt Em :(
Sweet, an RC thread!

I built a quad last month and it's been a lot of fun. I still have to figure out how to get the motors to stop vibrating so much, but besides that it flies pretty well.

f330 frame
KK2.1.5 controller
D2826-10 1400kv motors
250mW 5.8Ghz video tx

Now I just have to find more places to fly where there are no people or dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Scottw330 posted:

I still have to figure out how to get the motors to stop vibrating so much, but besides that it flies pretty well.

Assuming that you static-balanced the props, this is your next step.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RItntpZZH4g

After that, you'd have to track the props, which can be tricky when they're as small as model props are.

Scottw330
Jan 24, 2005

Please, Hammer,
Don't Hurt Em :(
Oh nice, that is a pretty clever way of doing it, I'll have to find that app.

Do you think that "prop savers" would help compared to normal prop adapters? The adapters I have are fairly heavy and they extend a long way from the motor, which probably amplifies any bend in the shafts?

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

Mister Sinewave posted:

That *is* the gif of pulling out of the spiral stall :newlol: The recorder dropped some frames and the static was from losing video signal (being so near the ground so far away.) The abrupt shift to level flight isn't the gif looping - that IS the recovery (what was recorded of it, anyway.)

Looks like you were having some fun. I have respect for the wind after playing around with constant wind just below stall speed. Stabilizer doesn't save you against down drafts that push the plane down 3-4m while it's still level.

Sort of like when I set my flaps up... I reduced the throw in those the other day and messed around with mixing the elevator a bit to compensate in the different flap positions. The first time it pushed it down while level at about a 35 degree angle, which is not a gentle landing.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Mister Sinewave posted:

fuckfuckfuckfuckFUCKFUUUUUUUCCKKK

Holy poo poo I am a lucky motherfucker *hyperventilating*

That's it, bring it in for a landing. I have to work the frostbite out of my fingers anyway.

Oh well, I'll take it.
Haha bravo.

I was hoping to take out the Phantom today, but the 90kph gusts this afternoon made me think twice!

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I got the one flight in this morning, which as it turns out might have been the last half-decent one of the season because the rest of the day saw the temperature (continue to) plummet, the wind soared, and it snowed most of the afternoon/evening. At least I didn't crash out, though I did find out my rudder/tail wheel steering servo is hosed.

The Bix3 has the (e:rudder) servo drive both the rudder and the rear wheel. Unfortunately I think that with a grass runway and sometimes pretty rough landings it puts a fair bit of stress on the poor little servo.

Adding that little recorder to my setup was definitely the right decision.

MrYenko posted:

Assuming that you static-balanced the props, this is your next step.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RItntpZZH4g

That is really cool, but holy poo poo there's gotta be a better method. Like, putting a balancing weight (sticker) in 3 different fixed locations and taking readings from each, then using the results to calculate an ~80% solution and fiddle the last part only, instead of doing what looks to be really tedious trial-and-error.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 27, 2014

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Wojcigitty posted:

1. Take the loving props off before you are sure you got your poo poo sorted. :cmon:
2. Sounds like the transmitter is in Mode 1 when it should be in Mode 2 or vise versa. For reference:

I'm a bit of a shitlord. The thing is, the tri was flying no problems prior to this weekend. I was setting up a hex and I must have flubbed something over. I guess wishful thinking =/= reality.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Anyone have hands on experience with a larger 6 or 8 rotor? Like an S1000? Something that'll carry a 5d3 or RED?

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Well look what showed up after a couple of months in the sea

I haven't got it back yet from who found it but will soon. I'm presuming the electronics will be a total write off but the foam looks good :shepface:

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

Mister Sinewave posted:

The Bix3 has the elevator servo drive both the rudder and the rear wheel. Unfortunately I think that with a grass runway and sometimes pretty rough landings it puts a fair bit of stress on the poor little servo.

Not sure if that's just a typo, but I'd suggest connecting the steering link to the rudder. Don't want to be pulling right when you try to pitch up.

Have you noticed much in the way of noise on your video with that set up? I'm doing something very similar, though I'm using some shielded wire for the video and power between the camera-OSD-Vtx.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

mashed_penguin posted:

Well look what showed up after a couple of months in the sea

I haven't got it back yet from who found it but will soon. I'm presuming the electronics will be a total write off but the foam looks good :shepface:

Could be a distance record, or was it just stuck in the mud somewhere?

Is that an Assassin fitted for FPV?

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I think it was stuck in the mud. I crashed on a mudflat and couldn't find it before the tide came in. I know it was found in the general area that I crashed in.
The wing is a TBS Caipirinha. Though after the salt water I don't think it is fitted for FPV any more. Hopefully the sd card works and I can get the crash video.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Golluk posted:

Not sure if that's just a typo, but I'd suggest connecting the steering link to the rudder. Don't want to be pulling right when you try to pitch up.

Have you noticed much in the way of noise on your video with that set up? I'm doing something very similar, though I'm using some shielded wire for the video and power between the camera-OSD-Vtx.

Oops, mistyped. I meant rudder both times (typed elevator for some reason in there.)

I only get noise at extreme range or extreme angles like direct overhead or sometimes hard banking. The CP antennas helped but didn't eliminate the latter. I don't think I have much to worry about noise-wise in my setup because the supply is filtered and even though I am using unshielded wire it is short in length and far from any active parts like the motor or the ESC.

e: I also fly in wide open areas, so I have minimal dealing with crap like interference from reflections (just to put the CP versus linear antenna thing in perspective.)

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 27, 2014

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

mashed_penguin posted:

I think it was stuck in the mud. I crashed on a mudflat and couldn't find it before the tide came in. I know it was found in the general area that I crashed in.
The wing is a TBS Caipirinha. Though after the salt water I don't think it is fitted for FPV any more. Hopefully the sd card works and I can get the crash video.

Yeah if it spent more than a few minutes in saltwater and wasn't immediately rinsed with freshwater none of your electronics are gonna survive. *Maybe* the sd card will.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

EdEddnEddy posted:

I wonder if any of that can be upgraded on the current P2? Could always use a better compass and motors\props\esc's.

Yes, all those parts are replaceable. people already swap the motors out with third party ones. The compass is plug and play (as well as the props obv). I'd wait to see what the difference is before dropping 200-300 though.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Yes, all those parts are replaceable. people already swap the motors out with third party ones. The compass is plug and play (as well as the props obv). I'd wait to see what the difference is before dropping 200-300 though.

Yea I've seen that and though I've had no issues with mine, a more accurate compass could only be a good thing.

As to the comment about flyaway, from what I can gather from reading about them, it seems to be a lot more common for the P2V(+) then the regular P2. Probably since the 5.8 Ghz transmitter seems to loose signal really easy vs the 2.4 one. I have had mine out over a mile without any break in control.

Still, I always have the worry in the back of my mind.. The flight at the ocean a few weeks ago had me a tad nervous the whole time.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

EdEddnEddy posted:

Yea I've seen that and though I've had no issues with mine, a more accurate compass could only be a good thing.

As to the comment about flyaway, from what I can gather from reading about them, it seems to be a lot more common for the P2V(+) then the regular P2. Probably since the 5.8 Ghz transmitter seems to loose signal really easy vs the 2.4 one. I have had mine out over a mile without any break in control.

Still, I always have the worry in the back of my mind.. The flight at the ocean a few weeks ago had me a tad nervous the whole time.

I guess I really should be careful how much I rely on the Naze32 to get me out of trouble. Lose video? RTH. Lose binding? RTH. Upside down spinning in circles? GPS hold, or RTH. Of course if the Naze32/GPS does fail or the stabilizer goes nuts I'm fairly screwed. I don't think the plane would cause much damage... but I'm still not sure if I want my contact information on the plane should it fly off into the wild blue yonder.

Makes me wonder if anyone has ever used a second plane to knock an errant plane out of the sky...

Golluk fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 27, 2014

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Elendil004 posted:

Anyone have hands on experience with a larger 6 or 8 rotor? Like an S1000? Something that'll carry a 5d3 or RED?

Yes, I've built a few big hexes and quads that carry large stuff, and I'll likely be maidening an S900 next week. What are your questions?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Wojcigitty posted:

Yes, I've built a few big hexes and quads that carry large stuff, and I'll likely be maidening an S900 next week. What are your questions?

I started off in the drone game buying a Steadidrone QU4D and it was nothing but problems. Crashes, expensive repairs, control issues, near impossible to troubleshoot, wikipedia tech support, etc. Then moved to a P2V+ and it's been smooth sailing ever since.

When a drone is costing less than a couple grand, some trial and error is OK, when it's a solid ten plus grand, I want to get it right. So just looking to find out if theres someone else in the thread who can offer some hands on advice, what works, doesn't work, what's coming, poo poo to avoid, etc.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Progress is so much slower on this build than I expected, but at least I've been happy with everything so far.

ran a wire from the battery side of the regulator up to the OSD to measure voltage, and figured it was about as good a place to ground the shield as well. Except the voltages kept showing as 0. Played around a bit, but it took switching over to MW OSD to get it working. It had options I could turn on to account for the KV Team/Witespy hardware changes, and now I have my battery voltage.

Did another quick range test, and got to 250m with a still decent picture. It would probably help if the transmitter wasn't sitting on the curb at ground level, but it makes me feel safe enough flying it within LOS.

Another short test was trying out the power meter on my Bixler 2. Half throttle was about 7-8 amps (I tend to cruise at 35-40%). And full throttle was 25.5 amps. Going crazy with servo's added another 300mA or so (unloaded).

Now I really need to put in the time to finish wiring up the wing servos, mount the FC in the fuselage, glue the fuselage together, and finally apply to reinforcing tape to it Seeing as it did a great job saving my Bixler's nose.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Saw this in a Hobbyking update I reviewed late: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...nents_PNF_.html

Looks pretty cool, I wonder how well it performs. I know the DJI stuff is pretty high quality but it seems geared more towards photography rather than "I wanna fly around with goggles like a giant dork and pretend I'm a tie fighter pilot or something."

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Looks like I have the OSD/FC/GPS worked out. GPS was getting a fix, and information was being overlaid.

I think I'm getting a bit of noise though. Its a 7" screen, and I'm getting pixel thin horizontal white lines, about 1 cm long sporadically in the image. They only appear very briefly, and I see about 3-5 every second. Nothing impairing, but would be nice to fix.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Last time I flew I finally used my Fatshark goggles with pan/tilt/roll camera mount.

I put this

Onto this

Slapped on these

And gave it a shot

And landed

Yeah, nailed it :frogc00l:

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Hey! that looks like one of my unintended landings! Those usually happen on the first flight of the day.

Any idea what caused you to dive and roll to the right like that? Did it stall on you?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
It was simple & ordinary pilot error. I wasn't looking straight ahead with the goggles (it was a little off) and I wanted to pull them off to try a landing again. But before pulling them off I needed to disable the head tracker (e: so the camera would point forwards while the goggles hung around my neck or on my forehead) which required taking a hand off the controller to press and hold a button. Somewhere in all that I flubbed control and you see the result.

Sadly the middle motor (tilt) got broken. It can't be manually moved any more and is locked looking down, so flying was over for the day.

Post goggles report:

It really was pretty cool to look around with the goggles, but while I really wanted to love it I was left with mixed feelings.

• I really enjoyed being able to "look into" turns, like when driving a car, which is a very natural thing to want to do.
  • It was far easier to keep my bearings and feel that I knew exactly where I was when I could look around.
  • Going back to static camera felt ridiculously cramped and tunnel-visioned by comparison.
  • Despite all that, I didn't really experience any real feeling of immersion. Possibly because I had a disembodied view that didn't really see the plane. I was very conscious of a feeling that I was simply steering the camera with my head - not looking out a cockpit or anything. I notice on reviewing video that I spent a fair bit of time looking "down" to see the nose.
  • Landing was a disaster. I won't even try to land while wearing goggles next time. Experience tells me that landing by direct LOS is the only way to go for me. Landing by static camera is hard as hell, even worse with a P/T/R head tracker.
  • Comfort issues: I can deal with cables and junk as necessary evils but the goggles are really not easy to put on and off quickly and with one hand, etc. They are held right up to your eye sockets with an adjustable band which is fine and blocks out ambient light. The problem is there is zero air circulation so after a few minutes the lenses get foggier and foggier. This is a pretty big deal.
  • I don't think I'd fly with it again unless the goggles were for a spectator only, or I had some kind of flip-up-flip-down ability with air circulation for the goggles.
  • I totally want some basic "Instrument panel" on the plane that I can look down at with the camera to see remaining battery charge visually.
  • Next time I need to ensure I can see not just the nose but also each wing. Seeing visual references of the plane's body is important for reference and feeling "there".

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 30, 2014

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
The most recent South Park was all about "drones" and pretty amusing.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

Mister Sinewave posted:

Landing was a disaster. I won't even try to land while wearing goggles next time. Experience tells me that landing by direct LOS is the only way to go for me. Landing by static camera is hard as hell, even worse with a P/T/R head tracker.

I'm a bit surprised you find landings are harder in FPV. I haven't gotten to try yet, but I'm really expecting landing to be much easier with FPV. Mostly due to not having to worry about approaching so I get a good view, and a clear landing for the plane, that is rapidly flying further away. I usually fly towards myself, do a U-turn above me, cut throttle as I level out, glide far farther than I expect, and eventually land 50-75' away.

I am rather curious to see if I can get my flaps/elevator mixing set so I can fly level, press switch, and start a flat decent at ~20 degrees. Last test it was a hard landing at ~40 degrees.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Golluk posted:

I am rather curious to see if I can get my flaps/elevator mixing set so I can fly level, press switch, and start a flat decent at ~20 degrees. Last test it was a hard landing at ~40 degrees.

That's the wrong method for landing.
Power controls altitude, pitch controls speed.

'Safest' approach is to add flaps at level flight, adjust throttle to a controlled descent and then just above the ground, flare, reduce throttle.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Golluk posted:

I'm a bit surprised you find landings are harder in FPV. I haven't gotten to try yet, but I'm really expecting landing to be much easier with FPV. Mostly due to not having to worry about approaching so I get a good view, and a clear landing for the plane, that is rapidly flying further away. I usually fly towards myself, do a U-turn above me, cut throttle as I level out, glide far farther than I expect, and eventually land 50-75' away.

I find it really hard to judge where the ground actually is in relation to what I see on the camera, also judging airspeed is very broad strokes through a camera as opposed to LOS where I can see the plane right there in front of me and make very minute adjustments.

Plus landing is touchy with the landing gear on my big but light plane because I have only a grass airstrip at the club I am haunting. I find I need to cut throttle completely and glide down, then ideally just as I am right above the ground, flare (not sure if I am using the word correctly) a little so that the tail wheel touches JUST before the front wheels. If I touch down front wheels first I'm likely to just flip because the wheels will catch on something.

I am seriously considering ditching the landing gear completely since I have no paved surfaces anyway anywhere, but I haven't made up my mind yet. I kind of like having landing gear and find landings tense in a fun way.

I'll pretty much need skis soon anyway though.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Just had a solid near miss with a Cessna which buzzed me at about 40 feet. Idiot. And people worry about drones! CPA was under a hundred feet, easy.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
I've ditched the landing gear on my Bixler 2 and don't regret it at all. I think I understand what you mean. I did all my landings tonight "I can't believe it's not Butter" smooth. Well 3/4, the 3rd one I let off the elevator a little and it moved down the last 2 feet somewhat hard, but level.

Are you running flaps on yours? I'm really enjoying the slow cruise, easy take offs with them down. Level the plane flies faster. And a tiny bit up, with generous up elevator, it keeps a nose up position, while losing altitude at a safe landing speed. It was definitely worth figuring out the mixing for it.

Of course I also use a receiver with built in flight stabilizer, so I could be a terrible pilot and not even know it. I should really try flying with it off a few times.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Your Bixler 2 had landing gear? Mine did not. Weird.

Anyway, no flaps on mine. No channels left after one for the stabilizer and 3 for the Pan/Tilt/Roll :shobon:

I sometimes consider using the stabilizer one for flaps but I really have found being able to turn the stabilizer on or off handy, and I seem to land OK so no change yet.

e: By the way, just so people know, I was using a CP antenna on the transmitter and just the stock linear antenna on my Fat Shark goggles seemed to work fine. I mean, I was being conservative with range just in case but I still expected recognizably worse reception. I didn't notice anything.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Mister Sinewave posted:

e: By the way, just so people know, I was using a CP antenna on the transmitter and just the stock linear antenna on my Fat Shark goggles seemed to work fine. I mean, I was being conservative with range just in case but I still expected recognizably worse reception. I didn't notice anything.

You lose 3db I think when you go cp to linear. So you would only notice a degradation if you go out a decent way. Your linear whip on your goggles will be a higher gain than your cp omni as well which helps offset the range loss.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Been out of town a few days and as soon as I got my cell close to my home wifi my DJI vision android app did a pretty big update. Doing some research, looks like a pretty big update all around on Phantoms went out early this week.

Any Phantom fliers here have comments on any changes to the firmware & ground station? Looks like mobile home base has been added which is kind of neat.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Mobile home is huge, especially for flying of a moving platform. You can now install a hardware gimbal tilt control (channel 7) which is neat but I don't think I'll bother.

Edit: my near miss story on Facebook has blown into a pretty solid debate...even got Brendan Schulman weighing in (he's the lawyer behind most of the big US suits, Pirker, the ones against the FAA interpretation, etc.)

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Oct 31, 2014

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Elendil004 posted:

Mobile home is huge, especially for flying of a moving platform. You can now install a hardware gimbal tilt control (channel 7) which is neat but I don't think I'll bother.

Edit: my near miss story on Facebook has blown into a pretty solid debate...even got Brendan Schulman weighing in (he's the lawyer behind most of the big US suits, Pirker, the ones against the FAA interpretation, etc.)

Do you have any video of the incident? That sounds freaky as hell.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Elendil004 posted:

Can you share a little more about the circumstance/how it happened?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Yeah, I mean I basically liveblog my low-grade clumsy efforts and horrible mistakes here, balance me out a little.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Elendil004 posted:

Just had a solid near miss with a Cessna which buzzed me at about 40 feet. Idiot. And people worry about drones! CPA was under a hundred feet, easy.

I was flying out over a beach to get a shot of a house that showed the beach as well when a small cessna came barreling down the beach at about 40 feet. Fast too, normally I can hear a plane or helicopter coming and will ground the drone until I can see whats up. All I had time to do here was come to a stable hover and pray.

He pulled up over the beach after passing by, easily within 100 ft of the drone and banked hard over some houses then sailed off. Stayed well under 500' the whole time.

I wasn't recording yet so I don't have a record. I considered trying to get a shot with the drone, but didn't want to move and complicate things in case he saw at the last minute and tried to avoid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
I guess I really should get myself something to record on the 2nd video output.

I'm thinking of something simple like this:
http://www.surveilzone.com/1ch-d1-av-mini-dvr-support-32g-tf-card-fpv-black-box-dr1168

Or are there any other recommended units in that price range?