Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Remember to vote on Tuesday. And use Uber/Lyft/Taxi to get home that night after you drink yourself blind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I don't think Uncle Sam's got enough whiskey for Tuesday. :(

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

What are the odds of a shutdown fight come the end of the current short term spending resolution? I fear entirety too high.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/11/george-hw-bush-joni-ernst-iowa-senate-elections-2014-112410.html

Certifiable nutjob Joni Ernst got endorsed by the not complete poo poo president Bush.

So remember that when you hear the narrative of the tea party losing to the establishment. The tea party was always the republican party, but now they are the establishment of the republican party as well

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Shifty Pony posted:

What are the odds of a shutdown fight come the end of the current short term spending resolution? I fear entirety too high.

Depends on Tuesday, but if there is a GOP senate we are looking at a hardball showdown in December.

And the odds are roughly 2 in 3 it will be a GOP senate going across all models.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20141101/NEWS02/141109998?template=mobile&X-IgnoreUserAgent=1

quote:

The truth is they’ve been planning this all along. Folks at the very top of the Quinn campaign told me during the summer they were going to make trouble for Mr. Rauner with Downstate conservatives by pushing him as far to the left as they could in Chicago.

Whole article is worth a read. Rich Miller is Illinois' go-to statehouse reporter; he spends most his life at the bars knowing the what-what by the who's who. If the last bar just closed in Springfield, you can bet a pudgy, old Miller will be the last one to hovel out after everyone with cigarettes in hand for anyone needing to sober up while talkn out theys rear end.

Democrats 2014: Pushing Republicans as far to the left as they could.

E:

Fried Chicken posted:

Depends on Tuesday, but if there is a GOP senate we are looking at a hardball showdown in December.

And the odds are roughly 2 in 3 it will be a GOP senate going across all models.

I'd agree. Its either that, or we see a redscare-level purge of those individuals taking dark money from Russia.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
can you schedule a stomach pump at the ER in advance?

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Fried Chicken posted:

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/11/george-hw-bush-joni-ernst-iowa-senate-elections-2014-112410.html

Certifiable nutjob Joni Ernst got endorsed by the not complete poo poo president Bush.

So remember that when you hear the narrative of the tea party losing to the establishment. The tea party was always the republican party, but now they are the establishment of the republican party as well

What the gently caress H-Dubya? I liked you better when you were skydiving at 80 :rock:. :smith:

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp
I voted today, fuckers; straight D.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Gen. Ripper posted:

What the gently caress H-Dubya? I liked you better when you were skydiving at 80 :rock:. :smith:

Jeb needs Tea Party support. Jeb can't endorse Joni and run as a moderate. Jeb needs Papa Bush to endorse Joni.

Jeb is pleased.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Fried Chicken posted:

Remember to vote on Tuesday. And use Uber/Lyft/Taxi to get home that night after you drink yourself blind

Look who's in the pocket of big rideshare.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR
This election is going to suck. Any drinking suggestions?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Fried Chicken posted:

That's what I figured. Dammit. I think my agency is safe but watching hardworking friends get kicked in the teeth to satisfy Ted Cruz's camera lust isn't fun.

Hey the Federal Employee job satisfaction survey was down hard across the board but there is plenty of room to go!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

My Imaginary GF posted:

Jeb needs Tea Party support. Jeb can't endorse Joni and run as a moderate. Jeb needs Papa Bush to endorse Joni.

Jeb is pleased.

Gen. Ripper posted:

Yeah HW's entire thought process was almost certainly "Jeb wants this, where's a pen?"

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Job Truniht posted:

Bleach.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Way to hate on the new, sharing economy. You just know that people are gonna go in on group retainers eventually.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I'm sticking with bourbon. Sweet, sweet bourbon.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Job Truniht posted:

312. Or, that bottle of Lolita you've been letting age just for this occasion because you need the sharp, bitterly sweet taste of wine-like beer.

Seriouspost: Never buy Lienenkugel. The family that retains sole ownership are loving assholes and more TeaParty than the Kochs. The Kochs are TeaParty for the business benefits. The Lienies are TeaParty by ideology.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Job Truniht posted:

Tequila for dreams of future demographic change.

Toro de Lidia anejo or Camarena reposado will treat you right.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I live in Portland, OR and haven't been paying close attention to local politics, though radio ads keep talking about legal weed and GMOs. Should I bother voting, or is it pretty much a lock to go full-D? I mean statistically, not in the sense of being morally fulfilled by following through on my civic duty.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Teddybear posted:

I'm sticking with bourbon. Sweet, sweet bourbon.

Town Branch until the election is called for McConnell.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Wolfsheim posted:

I live in Portland, OR and haven't been paying close attention to local politics, though radio ads keep talking about legal weed and GMOs. Should I bother voting, or is it pretty much a lock to go full-D? I mean statistically, not in the sense of being morally fulfilled by following through on my civic duty.

You should always bother voting, even when you don't want to vote for anyone. Its not a lock Full D if you don't vote. Please, don't make me beg, go vote. Seriously, why wouldn't you vote? Voting is loving awesome and makes you a stakeholder in America, so go vote unless you're not a stakeholder in the best future possible for America. You love America, so vote.

Your vote is needed against GMO labeling. Its a stupid, stupid idea with far-reaching consequences that shouldn't be put in place.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Wolfsheim posted:

It's only a lock if people vote.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

My Imaginary GF posted:

Your vote is needed against GMO labeling. Its a stupid, stupid idea with far-reaching consequences that shouldn't be put in place.
What's wrong with GMO labeling? I'm against it because it's giving in to a bunch of paranoid hippies but are there other reasons?

Caros
May 14, 2008

InequalityGodzilla posted:

What's wrong with GMO labeling? I'm against it because it's giving in to a bunch of paranoid hippies but are there other reasons?

It drives people away from GMO foods because it makes people worry that there is something wrong with them. After all, they had to put a LABEL on them.

GMO's have some small problems, mostly with pesticides, lack of actual real benefits and the whole 'monsanto' thing, but safety is not one of them.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Wolfsheim posted:

Depends, are you in a district where literally nothing of any import is disputed by awful people?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Fried Chicken posted:

And use Uber/Lyft

A vote for Fried Chicken is a vote against honest hard-working taxi drivers and a vote for impoverishing the middle class by forcing them to participate in the new "sharing economy". Impeach Fried Chicken.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

How can the American population desire a Democratic executive branch and Republican legislature simultaneously? I don't understand how your system works, seems like either your voters are wildly schizophrenic or one of those two groups shouldn't be in power

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

InequalityGodzilla posted:

You need high returns on imvestme t in GMO foods so that you get some investment in GMO food that primarily aids small-holding least developed nation farmers.

Plus, do you really want paranoid hippies to win on any issue? I can't think of a single issue where paranoid hippies have been correct.

I regard this GMO issue like the vaccine issue among paranoid hippies. Head them off now before a future GMO food is made that primarily benefits children which parents will refuse because :drugnerd: IT AINT NATURAL :drugnerd:

tl;dr seriousquestion, what would it take to get you to vote against GMO labeling?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So someone mentioned it before the last thread closed about the CIA funding action movies in the 80s to push their agenda, and the military's policy of approving movies and I've been looking for books on that subject, of sort of the militarization of culture. David Sirota talked about it a bit in his book Back To Our Future and I was hoping if there were any recommendations on books about this.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Torka posted:

How can the American population have elected a Democratic executive branch and Republican legislature simultaneously? I don't understand how your system works, seems like either your voters are wildly schizophrenic or one of those two groups shouldn't be in power
We have the attention span of a flea when it comes to national political memory. As it is, a significant group thinks Obama was President in 2008 when the market crashed.

hydroceramics
Jan 8, 2014

Torka posted:

How can the American population have elected a Democratic executive branch and Republican legislature simultaneously? I don't understand how your system works, seems like either your voters are wildly schizophrenic or one of those two groups shouldn't be in power

I don't see why both can't be possible. Also it's mainly because the legislature comes up for election in shifts and the ones that rode in with Obama in 08 are up for re-election without the boost of a president on the ballot.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

hydroceramics posted:

I don't see why both can't be possible.

It's clearly possible under the system, I just don't understand how it could be the result of deliberate voter choice. Who the hell says "I want this party running this part of government and this other party running that part"

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Torka posted:

It's clearly possible under the system, I just don't understand how it could be the result of deliberate voter choice. Who the hell says "I want this party running this part of government and this other party running that part"

'Self-Described Moderates and Independents'

So, lazy Republicans who understand how impolite it is for others to know you vote Republican.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

Torka posted:

How can the American population desire a Democratic executive branch and Republican legislature simultaneously? I don't understand how your system works, seems like either your voters are wildly schizophrenic or one of those two groups shouldn't be in power

A product of Clinton Era "Third Way" politics. Americans are convinced that by bringing people into government with mutually exclusive beliefs makes it more effective! Americans have a tendency of remembering the 90s as being an era of prosperity, ignoring all of the problems it did cause (including the last shutdown), and got around to seriously believing that a Republican legislature and a Democrat executive is A Good Thing.

Alternatively, Americans also think opposition voting, voting against incumbents, is also a thing and routinely change hands every time they perceive an ineffective or corrupt government.

Job Truniht fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Nov 2, 2014

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Wolfsheim posted:

Are you voting for Paul Muad'Dib?

House Atreides? More like House Atrocities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Torka posted:

Take your pick:

1. Gerrymandering means 1.4 million more votes for Democrats results in 33 more seats for Republicans.
2. Republicans tend to win midterms, Democrats tend to win presidential elections, due to turnout.
3. People have reportedly changed their minds since 2012 but the president isn't elected this year.
4. According to popular legend, people "prefer" divided government.

EDIT:

Oh, and as mentioned above,

5. Incumbent parties usually lose the midterms. Especially second term midterms.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Nov 2, 2014

• Locked thread