Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Hanoi is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
I did North to South over two weeks with a tour group, involving an overnight train and one short flight. Liked it just fine, though Hanoi was intimidating to start out as my first day in a SE country alone. I did fine walking around alone, though. Just embrace the suicidal traffic patterns. It's zen. If you keep moving, they keep moving. Cogs in a machine, man. By the time we hit Cambodia I was down with traffic patterns being about pragmatism, not rules.

The train was my favourite part, much cleaner than I expected. Three tips though: a) there are two washrooms on each car; western style, and squat. Bring your own toilet paper because theirs will probably run out by morning. b) the food is horrific. Bring your own. We pretty much picnicked and it was great. My Vietnam tour group was way more fun than my Cambodia tour group, even if I did get strep from one of them. c) be ready to disembark before it's time to disembark. It's a pretty short stop. I stressed about bottom-bunk vs top-bunk but if I did it again I wouldn't give a poo poo, except possible lean towards bottom to be closer to my luggage.

I would have enjoyed it a little more without the weird guy in our travel group. I'm an insomniac, even with meds, and woke up a few times in the night. Sat up and tried to see stuff out the window, and just sorta shake off whatever I was dreaming about. Every time I sat up, he'd immediately come awake and start trying to calm me down, even though I was completely chill. Well, as chill as you can be with a married British man petting your hair and telling you it's okay.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

:stare:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
It puts the lotion on its skin...

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Typical you'd bring it back to whitening lotions and race. :bahgawd:

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

I could go see Ho Chi Minh's mausoleum all day. That poo poo is so nuts.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

For WTF Vietnam, I highly recommend going to Suoi Tien Amusement Park outside Saigon with a group of like-minded travelers.

It's crazy, and they really should call it Buddha's House of Terror.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Typical you'd bring it back to whitening lotions and race. :bahgawd:
YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT PAIN IS

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
Alright all sounds great. Cold in the north doesn't sound too bad, I'll just bring my Korean late fall hoodies and such.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Sheep-Goats posted:

Two weeks isn't a lot of time once you factor in Thai family stuff on her end. Maybe you can fit in a few days of actual vacation here or there. Where is her family from?

I'm using just about an entire year's worth of vacation days for this trip, and that includes holidays for Christmas and New Year's (the day after I booked it, I learned that one of our options for a holiday bonus at work is four extra days :sweatdrop:). We're also flying back New Year's Eve because while I really want to see New Year's in another country, flying back those first few days in January would jack up my plane ticket another grand, when I already am working up a pitch to get them to help pay for part of my ticket since the ceremony was their idea (they are loaded so my fiance thinks we can convince them). As for her family, she grew up in Phitsanulok but a lot of her extended family is in Bangkok. She's also going there two weeks ahead of me since she'll be on break from university so hopefully she takes care of all her boring stuff first?

ReindeerF posted:

It's a Thai-Chinese family, what can I say? It's like saying, "This Lebanese-American family..." When citing the two stooges set up for the Koh Tao murders should I refer to them as "the foreign suspects" or can I say that they're Burmese? Heh.

EDIT: On that note, I tried looking the other day and couldn't find any indication of their particular ethnic affiliation. I'm curious if they're Burman or Karen or what.

Actually they are Thai-Chinese :v: My future BIL has mellowed out somewhat since then, especially since he's finished college and is now living back in Thailand. Also her parents are in real estate, and after realizing his main loves are anime, video games, and bodybuilding they had a gym built in their newest housing complex so he could run it :lol: I thought that was a clever way to get him working.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

C-Euro posted:

Also her parents are in real estate, and after realizing his main loves are anime, video games, and bodybuilding they had a gym built in their newest housing complex so he could run it :lol: I thought that was a clever way to get him working.
Hah, yeah. This is the classic thing people with means do for the family idiot here. Countless unnecessary coffee shops, dessert shops, corner stores and so on, all to give the black sheep some semblance of dignity. Admittedly this is the first community gym I've heard of, so that's a new one. The community sure is lucky that their developer had a moron child interested in bodybuilding and not, say, embroidery!

Out of curiosity, was this in Chonburi?

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Hi guys, I'm looking for a recommendation. I'm looking to take my girlfriend somewhere beach resorty in Asia to propose to her. We went to Ko Samui, Thailand and it was the best poo poo ever, we rented a bungalow and the beaches were nice. There were no crowds or any huge groups of tourists, but it was still pretty accommodating and had all the sweet comforts.

Looking for something similar that for New Years time. Nice beaches, no crowds, resort accommodations. Please make help me make this great!

edit: no Philippines.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

ReindeerF posted:

Hah, yeah. This is the classic thing people with means do for the family idiot here. Countless unnecessary coffee shops, dessert shops, corner stores and so on, all to give the black sheep some semblance of dignity. Admittedly this is the first community gym I've heard of, so that's a new one. The community sure is lucky that their developer had a moron child interested in bodybuilding and not, say, embroidery!

Out of curiosity, was this in Chonburi?

Their/his gym? Nope.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Chinaman7000 posted:

Hi guys, I'm looking for a recommendation. I'm looking to take my girlfriend somewhere beach resorty in Asia to propose to her. We went to Ko Samui, Thailand and it was the best poo poo ever, we rented a bungalow and the beaches were nice. There were no crowds or any huge groups of tourists, but it was still pretty accommodating and had all the sweet comforts.

Looking for something similar that for New Years time. Nice beaches, no crowds, resort accommodations. Please make help me make this great!

Highest part of the high season / beach / no crowd is a tough combo. Maybe the resort part will save you but I'm not a resort guy (they're fairly thin on the ground in this thread) so I leave it to them.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
James bond beach at raileh. Since it's not as accessible or big as the other name places it should be perfect.

You get your private beach and resort. However New year's does swell up the number of tourists everywhere. Resorts will have a bump in numbers but nothing crazy like other tourist segments

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Chinaman7000 posted:

Bali as long as you stay the gently caress away from the hole that is Kuta. Seminyak is supposed to be nice and has lots of resorts with "all the sweet comforts", and I think the price tag keeps out the drunk bogans. No idea how it is around New Years though.

If it were me, I'd probably try heading further east into Nusa Tenggara, Lombok at the very least if not further. Stay away from the backpacker crowd on the Gilis, but you could get some nice accommodations around Senggigi, I think. Been a really long time for me though.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Chinaman7000 posted:

Look at Khao Lak in Thailand. It won't be as crowded as Phuket or Samui because people still think it's inundated with tsunami.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Did anyone watch that Tsunami movie The Impossible and think.. wow, what we really need is a tsunami movie in the perspective of an upper middle class white Australian family and their struggles? I like the parts where they get special privileges over needy and clearly impoverished Thais and others, including priority flights and medical care.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I just thought it was incredibly well done. I went in expectng crap. Came out very impressed.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Did anyone watch that Tsunami movie The Impossible and think.. wow, what we really need is a tsunami movie in the perspective of an upper middle class white Australian family and their struggles? I like the parts where they get special privileges over needy and clearly impoverished Thais and others, including priority flights and medical care.

I thought the family was some kind of European but just played mostly by Australian actors.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Finch! posted:

I thought the family was some kind of European but just played mostly by Australian actors.

In the real story they were Spanish. Movie changed 'em to Brits.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Douchebaggery is race blind!

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

High season is going to suck in Thailand this year so I'd say just go back to Thailand!

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Gail Wynand posted:

High season is going to suck in Thailand this year so I'd say just go back to Thailand!

Huh? How come?

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Thank you for the advice, wise SE Asian travellers.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
You guys probably have heard of a Banker in Hong Kong going all Patrick Bateman and killing 2 prostitutes right?

He's a 12 : The girl is a ten and he's a two. Honestly though, I would call him 8 = 6 + 2

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
That's legal in HK though right?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

caberham posted:

He's a 12 : The girl is a ten and he's a two. Honestly though, I would call him 8 = 6 + 2

I don't get it?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

PUA speek maybe? She's a 6/10 and he's a 2/10? Or something?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Christ Cabe, people are dead.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe he ate her or something?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Jeza posted:

PUA speek maybe? She's a 6/10 and he's a 2/10? Or something?

Yeah something like that. Basically FILTH - Failed In London Try Hong Kong

Someone who is not attractive at all ends up with someone much prettier and above their league in other things as well.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I heard that white guys only come to asia because they're failures in their home countries and are trying to trick either companies and girls into something.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

I heard that white guys only come to asia because they're failures in their home countries and are trying to trick either companies and girls into something.

They are called....... ENGLISH TEACHERS

:downsrim:

I kid I kid

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Heavens me, just look at the time

From what I've seen, the teachers here are less likely to kill prostitutes than they are to support them and froth at the mouth when someone accuses their beloved of being a prostitute.

But then most of the teachers are my school are women in the 25-35 range, so who's to say what happens up country.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
NAH MATE I MET HER AT CENTRAL

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Chair Huxtable posted:

From what I've seen, the teachers here are less likely to kill prostitutes than they are to support them and froth at the mouth when someone accuses their beloved of being a prostitute.

But then most of the teachers are my school are women in the 25-35 range, so who's to say what happens up country.

I envy you if teachers at your school get paid enough to feasibly support someone else.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Cross postin from D&D pictures

Yeah I know South Korea isn't SEA but gently caress it.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Cross postin from D&D pictures

Yeah I know South Korea isn't SEA but gently caress it.

I'm sure the Korea thread might get a kick out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
It's all over kakao chat and gone viral. They even have pictures of Katie and her response.

She's non alcoholic and vegetarian!