Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Dog_Meat posted:

Not to mention that after Monarchia the Word Bearers end up pushing out further than the other legions to make up for the shame. Maybe a simple "that'll do pig" from the Emperor would have helped.

This is a bit of a nitpick but I think Lorgar reveals to Guilliman that most of the this period was counterintelligence fed to the Emperor to convince him Lorgar was 'fixed' when he was actually recruiting for Chaos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

MrNemo posted:

Ultramarines act as diplomats and renaissance men (while still being insufferable rules followers). Space Wolves just drink, fight, tell stories and disappear into the darkness of far space every few decades. The Imperial Fists continue to be assholes and cut themselves in private while thinking about how they're totally not worthy of being daddy's favourites and everyone must, like, totally hate them for not being as awesome as they want to be. The Dark Angels probably still have a massive civil war that they cover up just because otherwise they'd have to confront that other dark secret in their closet so they focus on just being traitors to humanity.The White Scars opened up Chogorian restaurants all over the loving place are still totally, like, inscrutable man, with so much ethnic wisdom. The Iron Hands just spend all their time writing angry posts on the Imperial communications network about the inevitability of Singularity and how digital currency is totally the next big thing. The Salamanders are considered massive assholes because they insist people should do work to keep active. The Raven Guard spend all their time smoking clove cigarettes and totally showing other legions that they could have wtfpwned them in a fleet action with their awesome stealth techniques.

The Sons of Horus are just totally chill and cool because everyone loves big E's favourite son. The World Eaters started a thrash metal group and continue to travel the galaxy rocking awesome tunes and literally headbanging and moshing people to death. Emperor's Children spend all their time painting pictures, making sculptures, etc. although they are all naked and of each other. The Iron Warriors continue to do nothing constructive, just hang out playing wargames and talking about how they could totally make a more awesome fortress than the Imperial Fists but noone's asked them to yet.The Death Guard are still pretty much assholes that noone likes. The Thousand Sons were eaten by the Warp, it was kind of a tragedy but everyone agreed that it was pretty much inevitable. The Night Lords have turned to basically working like the Mafia, only more like the mafia off those classic American sitcoms where everyone has nicknames and they just eat a lot of pizza. The Alpha Legion may or may not be peaceful and cool. I mean, they seem to be but that means that's what they want you to think!?!>

I'm throwing money at my screen but nothing is happening. How do I get this book?

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Dog_Meat posted:

I'm throwing money at my screen but nothing is happening. How do I get this book?

It is slated for release third quarter 2018 and will have a limited 50 print hardback release with a holographic cover priced at $589.87. An A3 sized paperback edition release should be sometime mid 2020. Afterwards we're planning to burn the manuscripts and destroy the printing machine just in case it's unsuccessful.

In the meantime there will be an audiobook series following the Sigillite in his dotage getting angry at not being able to use his new fangled skulled cherub music player. This will coincide with a limited edition Forge World miniature featuring the Sigillite and his new easy chair.

We are also considering contracting Dan Abnett to write a series following Gregor Eisenhorn, a radical agent of the feared Imperial Food Health and Safety Inquisition as he delves deep into intra-Imperial intrigue when a cult dedicated to Nurgle infiltrates a White Scars restaurant fleet.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Sephyr posted:

In The First Heretic, Lorgar tells Magnus that the Emperor never raised the issue; that he denied his divinity but did not care that Lorgar felt he was holy. It's apparently part of the reason why Monarchia's purging came as such a blow.

He could be lying, though why he would lie to his best friend and confidant (and someone who can mind-read primarchs easily) is a bit of an issue. Or he could be deluding himself, of course.

Most likely, no one bothered to keep all the retcons straight.

I really wish someone would write a series of books about the Scouring; the reclaiming of the Imperium after the Heresy. I wonder if the whole God-Emperor faith was a conscious choice ("The people have seen daemons. We must give them a god to protect them"), or if things just degenerated slowly in that direction as the Primarchs died/vanished and no absolute personal authority was left to unify the species.

Hell, there are a lot of ages you could write a series of books in, thanks to the Imperium being loving old. My favourite is the alien menace which invaded from the Ghoul Stars, destroyed huge parts of the Imperium before it could be thrown back and is apparently still there somewhere. The few scraps which mentioned them kept it purposefully vague, just in case Games Workshop decides to introduce a new line of miniatures, I guess.

I wouldn't mind reading about the time when the empire was broken into separate parts, either.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

MrNemo posted:

It is slated for release third quarter 2018 and will have a limited 50 print hardback release with a holographic cover priced at $589.87. An A3 sized paperback edition release should be sometime mid 2020. Afterwards we're planning to burn the manuscripts and destroy the printing machine just in case it's unsuccessful.

In the meantime there will be an audiobook series following the Sigillite in his dotage getting angry at not being able to use his new fangled skulled cherub music player. This will coincide with a limited edition Forge World miniature featuring the Sigillite and his new easy chair.

We are also considering contracting Dan Abnett to write a series following Gregor Eisenhorn, a radical agent of the feared Imperial Food Health and Safety Inquisition as he delves deep into intra-Imperial intrigue when a cult dedicated to Nurgle infiltrates a White Scars restaurant fleet.

Im hard

Dont stop

:dong:

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
I smell a goon project.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Libluini posted:

The few scraps which mentioned them kept it purposefully vague, just in case Games Workshop decides to introduce a new line of miniatures, I guess.
A lot of it is making the world seem bigger than it is, some of it is so people can do thinks like make Hrud armies out of skaven minis and play them as IG or whatever, and the last is so they can do like they did with a one-word and a doodle sketch in the 3rd ed rulebook and make Kroot.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
To all you who wanted a Death Guard book (well, story, really): http://www.blacklibrary.com/horus-heresy/daemonology-ebook.html

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Shelving books at work, thought I saw a star of chaos.

I was right.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
As cool as the art is, and it is very cool, I can't help but feel that Abaddon is screaming "What happened to my hand?"

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

sniper4625 posted:

I was right.

poo poo is this out? ? I thought it was nov 18???

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

sniper4625 posted:

I was right.

Why does he have hosing going into his cheeks?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Why does he have hosing going into his cheeks?

Well, have you ever gone to a sporting event and seen those hats where you can put a beer on either side and drink via a combined straw?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Waroduce posted:

poo poo is this out? ? I thought it was nov 18???

Nope, today!

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Am I the only person who 100% hates the cover art of all these books? I think the Night Lords books are the only ones I like. Everytime I see a Gaunt's Ghosts book with the lovely drawings of Gaunt and his men it makes me cringe. No wonder no one else buys this stuff...

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Uroboros posted:

Am I the only person who 100% hates the cover art of all these books? I think the Night Lords books are the only ones I like. Everytime I see a Gaunt's Ghosts book with the lovely drawings of Gaunt and his men it makes me cringe. No wonder no one else buys this stuff...

I'm just going to leave this here.

In case it's not obvious, these books are all done by Baen, a publisher notorious for horrible cover art for their sci-fi books.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I'm just going to leave this here.

In case it's not obvious, these books are all done by Baen, a publisher notorious for horrible cover art for their sci-fi books.

I feel like it's not just the cover art that's horrible:

Though I'm tempted to buy the last one

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Nov 5, 2014

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

That last one looks awesome and I can only assume their editor went to the toilet and an enterprising intern made some desperate attempt to rescue the publishing house's name.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
It's like Tim and Eric meets Frank Frazetta

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Big Willy Style posted:

It's like Tim and Eric meets Frank Frazetta

More like meet Lisa Frank

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

1950's 40k artwork right there.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

Looks like that's out of the Heroes in Hell series. It was an interesting premise - all the baddies who have died and gone to hell throughout history decide to break out. For some reason, they have access to modern military gear, so you have Julius Caesar and Genghis Khan rolling around in Panzers. It was kind of like Riverworld, but in Hell.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Nov 6, 2014

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Arquinsiel posted:

I actually own this book. Good old Harry Turtledove.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I actually own this book. Good old Harry Turtledove.

It's not Heroes in Hell if it's written by Turtledove. What is the title?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

These End Time novels aren't bad. I got a bit choked up at the end of Altdorf. Having poo poo happen to characters you've known and had good times with for a decade makes for a real kick in the teeth.

Yeah I know Karl Franz is fine, but I had some good times with Helborg and the Reiksguard on the table.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Alternate Generals, a collection of short stories edited by him. http://turtledove.wikia.com/wiki/Alternate_Generals

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I just finished reading Angron's Monolith by Steve Lyons. Ugh - it was not a good novella. I thought an Armageddon story would be just what the doctor ordered. I thought a Relictors story would be really cool. I was wrong on both counts.

Lyons tried for intrigue and self-doubt and wound up with something written by a sixteen year old kid. Blech.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
Could you give us a sample phrase? just out of curiosity.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

Could you give us a sample phrase? just out of curiosity.

It's less the phrasing and more just the general feel and situation.
The Relictors keep the fact that they use chaos weapons secret from the majority of their chapter - only a small circle knows about them. Of course, this causes problems when the chapter master and his honor guard show up on Armageddon with daemon-axes and flails made of screaming daemon heads. Then there are two rank and file Relictors (not privy to the dark secret) who go back and forth over the use of such damned articles - one is pissed and the other is like "well, it gets the job done..." On top of that, the chief librarian is also having the exact same argument in his head. Essentially, the book is one big angsty argument over whether or not the Relictors should use chaos-tainted weapons.

------
A day ago, he would have considered it a signal honour to serve in his leader’s presence. It is an honour, he told himself firmly, one of which I must strive to be worthy. Bardane’s standard-bearer was unfurling his banner – I am marching into battle beneath my Chapter’s banner! – and that still stirred something, a fierce sense of pride, in his primary heart.
‘Do we serve the Emperor today?’
Baeloch was voxing him privately again. Apparently, their old squad’s frequency was still active. Tarryn answered him confidently. ‘Yes. I believe we do.’
He was still conflicted about much of what he had learned, but one thing he didn’t doubt. ‘I believe the Chief Librarian was sincere, in any case. He believes we are doing the Emperor’s bidding, and so who are we to question it?’
‘Decario is toying with forces he doesn’t understand,’ Baeloch retorted, ‘and what happens once they overwhelm him?’
‘That is why the Conclave exists: to keep vigilance against–’
‘But their minds have touched the warp too, and there is always a price for that. What if it is Maegar who succumbs to the corruption of Chaos – or Bardane himself? What if they have already succumbed?’
Tarryn protested loyally, but Baeloch cut him off again. ‘They could lead us into the Eye of Terror itself, as de Marche would have done, and who would raise a hand to stop them? Who among us would dare question our orders, before it was too late and our Chapter was burning?’
Tarryn wanted to say, It won’t happen. Our leaders, Artekus Bardane especially, are strong, incorruptible. But Inquisitor Halstron had strolled up to join their gathering, with the chained man in tow, and Tarryn remembered orks bursting into flames and a hand extended towards a battle-brother.
He remembered the stink of Chaos, a flash of daemon eyes, and for the hundredth time, he felt his certainties crumbling into sand between his fingers.
---------
Much of the book is the exchange above, repeated over and over and over again.

With the correct writer, this could actually be a good argument over whether or not the ends justify the means, but it read to me like a couple of petulant teenagers. It seemed like there was a good story waiting to get out, but just couldn't do it.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Nov 7, 2014

Aries
Jun 6, 2006
Computer says no.

berzerkmonkey posted:

With the correct writer, this could actually be a good argument over whether or not the ends justify the means, but it read to me like a couple of petulant teenagers. It seemed like there was a good story waiting to get out, but just couldn't do it.

So just like 'The Last Church' or whatever it was called that read like a teenager had just discovered atheism and wrote an angry essay?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I have finally gotten around to reading Fulgrim and I find it interesting that Fulgrim almost hosed up the entire surprise of the Drop Site Massacre in his carelessness. When he is trying to convince Manus to join the rebellion, he mentions that Angron, Mortarian and Lorgar had already joined Horus in the rebellion. Of course, at that point Lorgar and the Word Bearers were still pretending to be loyal. If Manus had been a bit less pissed off, he might have figured out that, at the very least, the Word Bearers couldn't be trusted.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I really like Talon of Horus so far but Nefertiti is annoying as gently caress

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Aries posted:

So just like 'The Last Church' or whatever it was called that read like a teenager had just discovered atheism and wrote an angry essay?

Good to know I wasnt the only one who thought this. Under a decent writer it could have been a nice debate over the Emperor's vision and aims maybe but nope.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Azran posted:

Good to know I wasnt the only one who thought this. Under a decent writer it could have been a nice debate over the Emperor's vision and aims maybe but nope.

It's been a really long time since I read it, but didn't it come from the viewpoint of the last priest who was essentially seeing a tyrant come in and destroy everything he believed in? I kind of think that was a more justified reaction in that case...

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

berzerkmonkey posted:

It's been a really long time since I read it, but didn't it come from the viewpoint of the last priest who was essentially seeing a tyrant come in and destroy everything he believed in? I kind of think that was a more justified reaction in that case...

It was, and it was. I dunno about angry teenagers, if I was the last priest alive I'd be a little miffed if an atheist tyrannical ubermensch popped in and set everything to the torch after a pretty shallow and transparent offer of 'forgiveness' and managed to prove one of his own core arguments was hardly inviolate.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
I've written some vignettes (or very short short stories, I dunno how best to classify them) in the 40K setting, focusing mostly on absurdity played straight and dark humor. There is a noticeable lack of bolters. Would anyone be interested in me posting these here? I want to write some more, and getting some feedback would help provide motivation.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I wouldn't mind reading them.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children

Waroduce posted:

I really like Talon of Horus so far but Nefertiti is annoying as gently caress

Its the worst character and has the potential to make future books unacceptable if ADB keeps having his anime girlfriend angel gently caress up everyone in sight.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

maev posted:

Its the worst character and has the potential to make future books unacceptable if ADB keeps having his anime girlfriend angel gently caress up everyone in sight.

Luckily the epilogue makes it clear she's gonna bite it eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I dunno, I found her pretty much unremembered. She didn't really make much of an impact on me one way or the other. The wolf, on the other hand, was awesome, as was the origins of the Ragged Knight.