Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

Superrodan posted:

I didn't think crash, I thought all the stocks would double so anyone who had 1 of a stock suddenly had 2. As in you would be wiser to be holding onto any stock rather than money during that round.

While I agree that this could have happened but I wonder if any participant would have figured out that it's either gonna be one of these two and which one is causing more drama that would be the one that happens which is crash. Greed is a beautiful thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I'm not sure how I feel about Hyunmin and Dongmin teaming up. It was cool in both these last couple games, and they dominated the game, but for one thing it feels a bit unfair, like if you're at the gym playing pick up basketball or something, and the two best players are on the same team... or some other similar analogy you can think of. Secondly it seems a bit cowardly, like they're afraid to face off against the biggest threats, each other, and so instead they're just going to put it off til the last. Of course, I assume they're playing to win, and I can't fault them for how they play if they think it will help their chances of getting to the end.

That said, I think they're kind of miscalculating. They'd be better off circling each other with a kind of acknowledgement that they'd meet at the end rather than having such an open alliance. I don't know if they're intentionally trying to show up all the other players but back-to-back weeks of one winning and giving the extra token of life to the other player is very obvious. And the two of them are still outnumbered by the rest of the group so this naturally should lead to the others turning their backs on them and sending them to a bottom finish in one of the cooperative games.

So we'll see I guess. I think Hyunmin and Dongmin will need to distance themselves from each other or have some sort of masterful social dominance if they're going to avoid being ostracized.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I came here to ask if anyone else noticed while game four... or five? was being explained, the music had a very healthy dose of the word 'motherfucker' in it.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Just caught up on the last two episodes. Both totally awesome and completely re-inspired my faith in the show. Still going to miss Sujin. :sigh: (But both she and Ahyoung played too henchman-like that episode and should have really come up with a fallback plan since the main plan was never going to save everyone in the group.)

On that note, I'm hoping that people really are going to start getting more cutthroat. This season's been altogether too collaborative ever since that betrayal in episode one (with the betrayer jettisoned the next episode).

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Episodes 5 and 6 have been great, and the preview for 7 has me hyped too.

Ep 5:

I liked the main match here but again it seemed a little too safe for the strongest players. Hyunmin and Dongmin discovered a lot about the game but they were fairly relaxed about putting it into practice because nobody was really a threat to them, in fact it seemed like the thing that concerned them the most was “How can I save all my teammates?” rather than “How can I win the game?” because they already had victory in the bag. Basically there’s little point in taking big risks and making extreme plays when nobody is a threat to you… and a lot of the players this season just seem like non-entities. If there was stronger competition we might’ve seen some desperate “Okay, we’ll mine 300 pts!” moves or more deliberate kamikaze bombing moves, but when only 2 people notice those options and they’re already working together they can afford to take things easy.

Hyunmin and Dongmin both rock, Yoohyun tries at least (but it seems like he hasn’t had much chance to shine, the BTS vids show he came up with a nice trick in the sword and shield game but the match ended before he could put it into practice) and Yeonseung gets some credit for remaining focused/composed no matter what happens, but most of the others spend entire episodes without contributing anything to the game (though Ahyoung is pretty likable despite not doing much). Yes it takes some people a while to find their feet (even Jinho definitely got stronger over the course of S1) but surely after 5 episodes people should have gotten the hang of it and not just hang around in the background? As far as main matches go it’s just been the Hyunmin power hour for every episode aside from the first, and the only person who has really given him pause is Dongmin.

Fruit selling game – Free for all.
Jury game – Won by Hyunmin+Dongmin/Lost by Yongseok
Magical Race game – Controlled by Hyunmin
Sword and Shield game – Hyunmin + Yoohyun vs Dongmin + Hweejong. Won on luck.
Mining game – Controlled by Hyunmin+Dongmin

Note that they aren't just winning games, they're controlling them - deciding who wins and who loses. For a game about "ugly victories and beautiful defeats" these seem like pretty clean wins to me, they're winning so comfortably the can afford to mess about manipulating the other positions of other players.

Dongmin and Hyunmin also seem like they would be pretty good at deathmatches and most of the other players haven’t been particularly impressive in deathmatches (though I accept that these deathmatches don't exactly lend themselves to impressive play). Junghoon did well at poker but that was thanks to Yoohyun’s strategy (and I’m not sure how well Yoohyun’s skills transfer to other games), Yeonseung has won twice but it was against people who didn’t seem to care anymore or made gigantic mistakes. From what we’ve seen so far there aren’t any players like Yowan or Junghyun this time around, i.e. someone who is weak at main matches but good at deathmatches.

I kind of wonder how the game would have worked if it was played as individuals rather than teams. That would’ve elevated the importance of the weight trick, but I’m not sure if the game would be feasible that way. If a guy who knows the trick goes early on and mines out 300 pts 1 block at a time then it’s pretty obvious there’s a trick and other players can try to emulate it (unlike Open/Pass or the Dice game where people don’t get a chance to reconstruct their decks/dice after the game starts). Individual mining might've been incredibly tedious to play though if they had to wait 20 minutes whilst someone mined 47 cubes, or at least it might with that number of players. Also playing as individuals could’ve turned the wager part of the game into complete guesswork, because players would be less inclined to share information with each other if they weren't in teams.

Ep6:

Again Hyunmin and Dongmin cruised to an easy victory but the game looked pretty fun. Seemed like most players ended up with most of the information (compared with the scamming horse race games where people ended up with incomplete or incorrect information), I think because every set of information was shared between 2 players. When your information is exclusive it retains its value until you start trading so you can be picky about who you trade with, when your information is shared it loses value when the other person trades it so you want to trade quickly before they make too many deals and devalue your information. Also it seemed like some people concentrated on specific stocks, but I think that was a mistake because the low quantities of each stock meant you didn't always have a choice about which one to buy. Oh and I think having more information made trades easier too - in the scamming horse race you had to be wary of giving information away and not getting anything back because you only started with one piece of information (if you say yours first and they say nothing back you've lost your bargaining chip, so you have to be careful about trading), here every player had 6 pieces of information to start so trading is less risky (if you say yours first and they say nothing back they get only one piece of information, if you trade clues and then they cheat you on the last one you still got 5 out of their 6). Granted it seems like people were sharing their full sets of notes here to save time, but still it seems like misinformation and stealing information was less viable here (kind of a shame because it was super funny in the scamming horse race).

Hyunmin+Dongmin kinda over anticipated the threat from Yoohyun, I mean they concentrated their points on Dongmin so he could surely win... but then both of them beat Yoohyun pretty comfortably anyway. (Dongmin had $59, Hyunmin had $45, Yoohyun had $35 as far as I can remember). Yoohyun recognized the Hyunmin/Dongmin threat but I think he acted much too slow to do anything about it. If he had tried to set up an Anti Hyunmin Alliance in the first round that might have worked, but waiting until the second round when people know they're losing meant they weren't inclined to turn down trades. When you're battling to avoid last place you're probably not too concerned about who comes first, and boycotting trades with Hyunmin would weaken their position further... plus it would only work if everyone was united in it - basically it was advantageous to betray the Anti Hyunmin Alliance so it seemed like only Ahyoung and Yoohyun stuck to the agreement. I think "Don't lie about your info, just don't trade with him" was the right angle for Yoohyun to try (he would've lost too much trust during future games if he told people to lie and lies might not have been very effective since each set of information was shared between 2 people) but I think he should've grouped people up before pitching his idea - if he tells 4 people individually not to trade with Hyunmin then they have no idea if other people are on board so it's risky for them to stick to the plan, if he gathered them all together and laid out his plan they could see how other people felt so they'd see more clearly if it's a workable idea or not.

Also Hyunmin and Dongmin probably overspent slightly on the bonus information. They spent I think 13 garnets for 1 black garnet and a win worth 8 garnets. But they probably would've won even without bonus information (certainly wouldn't have lost) and a market crash seems like the most obvious thing to happen at the unknown 2:40 mark (but yeah there were other possibilities). If you say a black garnet is worth 2-3 garnets then that's still a net loss of 2-3 garnets overall, though maybe it's worth it to secure a guaranteed win over a probable win. Also having that extra information allowed them to manipulate the queue more easily and out of all the players they definitely made the best use of the time switchovers. I think Dongmin made the right call in cutting out the third backer (and Hyunmin was pushing for the wrong call), yeah they would have saved garnets if they had teamed up with a 3rd player but they would've lost a lot of information control and I think that's more important.

I like that Dongmin and Hyunmin have basically teamed up because they want to battle each other in the final. Sure it might not happen, but that's the final I would want to watch and I'd be annoyed if the strongest players got knocked out too early. Teaming up might prompt the other players to gang up to fight them or maybe the other players would've ganged up anyway and the Hyunmin+Donmin team is the best way to fight it (and I think they'd only be vulnerable on "Majority Rule" type games anyway). Also I'm not sure how much their dead drops helped in this game, but they were kinda fun to watch.

Future episodes:

I'm hoping for a Hyunmin vs Dongmin final and I think we have a decent chance of getting one (I'd probably expect Hyunmin to win that matchup as he seems to have a strong game sense). If we get boring games because those two dominate too easily then I blame the other players for not doing enough rather, than blaming those two for being too good. Also I want Ahyoung to hang around for as long as possible just for hilarity value, especially alongside Dongmin. I am pretty surprised that people haven't ganged up on Hyunmin/Dongmin more though, seeing how they've been the strongest players from week 2 onwards - yes they've done a fairly good job of avoiding stepping on people's toes directly but still the strongest players typically have big targets on their back.... and they've done plenty of ganging up themselves (it's kinda bizarre that people do exactly as Hyunmin/Dongmin ask, then get surprised when those two win). Also the deathmatches this season look pretty luck based, so going up against a strong player in a deathmatch isn't quite as scary as it could be. I would like to see some games where Hyunmin+Dongmin come under threat though, just to push them to play harder (I want them to face adversity but I'd be rooting for them to pull through rather than getting ground down.) I know Hyunmin rubs a couple of people the wrong way but I like him and it seems silly to call him 'overconfident', because constant winning makes his confidence seem entirely justified. In fact he seems pretty cautious a lot of the time, worrying about things that turn out to be total non-issues.

If Hyunmin or Dongmin get knocked out I'd hope for Yoohyun to step up to fill the power vacuum, because he's been hovering around 3rd place for most of the season. Hovering around 3rd place is a pretty good way to go far in the game, but I think he's been shooting for 1st and failing rather than deliberately playing as a dark horse competitor (if he was deliberately hanging around in the background he wouldn't want to strangle Hyunmin so much). Yoohyun seems pretty good at working inside the box, but kind of weak at working outside the box - he'll play games efficiently but doesn't seem to come up with game breaking strategies or notice loopholes... and strategically he needs to be a bit more proactive than reactive. If both Hyunmin AND Dongmin get knocked out then I think the quality of play will drop a lot, but hopefully we'd still some interesting games. In any case I expect the second half of S3 to be more interesting that the INVINCIBLE VILLAIN Sangmin victory cruise that we saw towards the end of S2.

I’d also love to see how well Hyunmin & Dongmin stand up to Jinho & Sangmin. I think the best S3 players are comparable with the best S1/S2 players (at the very least their weaknesses seem less pronounced), it’s just that the games haven’t really lent themselves to EXTREME WAYS moments and often the competition has been weak so they haven’t pushed themselves. Or maybe the weak competition is elevating my opinion of Hyunmin + Dongmin.

And wow I wrote too much.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Apparently Kyunghoon, pretending he was just a random viewer, posted on The Genius message board saying that Kyunghoon would win and that if they were didn't believe in him "you should go suck your mother's tit".

http://ppomppu.co.kr/zboard/view.php?id=freeboard&no=3780444

What a dumb.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Further cementing his position as 'worst Genius player.'

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Haha I guess Kyunghoon was actually really good, who knew

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

Apparently Kyunghoon, pretending he was just a random viewer, posted on The Genius message board saying that Kyunghoon would win and that if they were didn't believe in him "you should go suck your mother's tit".

http://ppomppu.co.kr/zboard/view.php?id=freeboard&no=3780444

What a dumb.

more importantly, according to the BTS his nickname was titty god

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I can't dislike a guy trolling and pretending to be someone who thinks the dude himself had a good chance to win.

The producers made fun of him for this in one of the recent BTS episodes.

^^ I can't dislike a guy nicknamed TITTY GOD

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Davincie posted:

more importantly, according to the BTS his nickname was titty god

Run Ahyoung, run!

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I hope I wasn't the only one who thought the recent posts in the thread indicated the release of a new episode of Bandage Sniffer.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Symbolic Butt posted:

I hope I wasn't the only one who thought the recent posts in the thread indicated the release of a new episode of Bandage Sniffer.

Nope, but that Kyunghoon story almost makes up for it. What a wonderful rear end in a top hat.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
I can't wait for him to come back as one of the eliminated players in the later episodes of the season.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Maduo posted:

Nope, but that Kyunghoon story almost makes up for it. What a wonderful rear end in a top hat.

A wonderful titgod.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Symbolic Butt posted:

I saw the post count jump up earlier so I made plans to watch it tonight without actually checking if it was uploaded. Oops.

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009

Superrodan posted:

I saw the post count jump up earlier so I made plans to watch it tonight without actually checking if it was uploaded. Oops.

Oh Jeremy!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Kitiara posted:

Oh Jeremy!

:drat:

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009

It's all in good fun. Jeremy knows he's my favorite :)

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Has season 2 made it onto youtube yet? Or is it still only available via dailymotion?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
It was originally on YouTube was then taken down for unknown reasons. If Dailymotion is being a CPU hog, try running the embed player (stick /embed/ in between dailymotion.com/ and video/). It tends to run a lot lighter for me.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I imagine the music got it taken down

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Hat Thoughts posted:

Dang, those are some extreme ways.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Hat Thoughts posted:

Decades from now historians will decry how the digital millenium copyright act made cultural artefacts lost forever due to petty royalty concerns.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Season 1 and part of 2 are on Youtube with Vietnamese subtitles if you want a challenge.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
youtube-dl also works great when pointed at DailyMotion if you want to save a copy.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

New episode up

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
Well it was a bit mixed this episode, I was ready to be mad after that shambles of main match especially if it ended up that Hyunmin and Dongmin had to fight. That said having a black garnet match is always interesting and the death match was actually a really good and entertaining game this time and of course the right person won.
Now about that preview I really really want to see what made Ahyoung grin like that!

Highly Unnecessary
Dec 24, 2009

2 minutes into the game and Hyunmin is planning to make someone come last. Welp.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Not a great episode like, gametheory-wise, but insanely good television-wise

Cute n Popular
Oct 12, 2012
Pretty sure the producers meant for that to happen so they supplemented with a really great deathmatch. Also from the BTS apparently the cards glow in the dark so they might have been able to target someone in the majority and force them to come last/grab bombs.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Too many cooks spoil the broth

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Suspicious Dish posted:

It was originally on YouTube was then taken down for unknown reasons. If Dailymotion is being a CPU hog, try running the embed player (stick /embed/ in between dailymotion.com/ and video/). It tends to run a lot lighter for me.

I have a YouTube App on my game systems so I can watch on TV. I'd rather not watch in a small laptop screen :/

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Cute n Popular posted:

Pretty sure the producers meant for that to happen so they supplemented with a really great deathmatch. Also from the BTS apparently the cards glow in the dark so they might have been able to target someone in the majority and force them to come last/grab bombs.

If that true that is by far the dumbest of those gimmicks that they've done.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Dongmin just going "HEY GUYS :unsmigghh:" for several hours is the best possible way to react to being locked out of the game

Highly Unnecessary
Dec 24, 2009

Death match spoilers.

Am I missing something or did Hyunmin have a forced win in this position by moving his king forward?

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Highly Unnecessary posted:

Death match spoilers.

He did. The show just ignored it for narrative convenience.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Annoyed to see alliance play, even when it didn't really make any sense for the reasons Dongmin mentioned (let's form a big group where we can only save 2 people and 1 of the remaining is guaranteed to be picked for the deathmatch!) dominate this far into the season. More games where one person can win through a cool individual strategy please!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

I hate you Bumbdidlyump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

pokeyman posted:

youtube-dl also works great when pointed at DailyMotion if you want to save a copy.

Will it grab from private videos? Bumdidly has all her videos marked as private/link-only; the Firefox DL add-on I have won't snag from private videos.